Odysseus City is a Vice City metropolis run by The Mafia... who have superpowers bestowed on them by their Sicilian bloodline. Various members of the 'Family' can do things like turn to stone or metal, produce BFGs out of nowhere, shoot electricity, or create explosive blasts. Then a man from the Family's past returns to Odysseus City to get payback.
Published in 2000 AD.
This comic provides examples of:
- Back from the Dead: Gio and his associates got together to wack his older brother Silver for his indiscriminate murder of made guys, but he just disappeared in an explosion. He returns years later for revenge, apparently not having aged. Gio does ask him how it's even possible, but Silver notes that he shouldn't be so surprised that in a group of people with superpowers, one should be able to defy death.
- Calling Parents by Their Name: Talia calls her father Gio by his first name as a sign of rebellion, despite his pleas for her to call him "dad". She finally does when Gio dies of a heart attack.
- Can't Kill You, Still Need You: Silver tells Kurt that he'd ordinarily kill him for going out with a member of the family, but he gives him a tip-off since he wants to take down Gio as much as he does.
- Chrome Champion: He isn't shown using it much, but Al apparently has the power to turn his body into metal.
- Did Not Get the Girl: Kurt begins a relationship with Talia, but he refuses to save her criminal father Gio when he suffers a heart attack. It's implied they break up over this.
- Egopolis: The city of Oddyseus is named after the superpowered crime family that runs it.
- Fatal Family Photo: A seasoned cop instructs a rookie before a police raid on a mafia warehouse. We see a picture of his family right before they go in, so obviously he's killed when the place is blown up.
- Having a Blast: Gio and Silver both have the ability to create explosions with their bloodline powers.
- Hellish Copter: Talia commandeers a police helicopter to crash it on top of the Ax-Crazy Silver.
- Hollywood Heart Attack: Gio dies of a chest-clutching heart attack during the climactic fight against his evil brother Silver.
- Killed Mid-Sentence: In the climax Talia kills Silver by dropping a helicopter on his head while he's in the middle of screaming "I'M GOING TO KILL YOU A—"
- The Mafia: The Odysseus Family are a Sicilian crime family with superpowers because of their bloodline.
- Mob War: Silver Odysseus is hoping to incite a gang war that will engulf the city between his brother Gio, the current Don of the Odysseus family, and Cane, an up-and-coming gangster.
- My Sister Is Off-Limits!: Chrissie and Richie follow their sister Talia on their father's orders, then threaten Kurt (a black cop) for sleeping with her, though Talia intervenes to stop them. While it was initially a one-night stand, Talia and Kurt eventually grow closer together.
- Nighthawks Shot: There's a send-up to the iconic shot when Talia meets with Kurt at a bar.
- Nothing Personal: When Silver kills his nephew Chrissie by dropping a building on him, he remarks that he has nothing against Chrissie personally, he just wants to hurt his brother by having him bury his son.
- Playing Both Sides: Al is working for both current Don Gio and his rival Cane to turn them against each other, as his old partner Silver had promised Al that he would become boss of the Odysseus Family once both Gio and Cane were out of the way. Turns out Silver didn't want anymore family, period.
- Please Put Some Clothes On: When Talia's brothers threaten Kurt for touching their sister, she intervenes with a Full-Frontal Assault. Her oldest brother tells her to put on some clothes.
- Shock and Awe: Richie Odysseus has a broad application of electricity powers, using them for both shock attacks and more creative uses like chaining someone up.
- Slashed Throat: Variation when Silver uses his explosive powers to silence someone rather than using something sharp.
- Superpowerful Genetics: The mafia have superpowers thanks to the 'bloodline', hence why they favor Sicilians marrying each other to not dilute it.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: The comic opens with Kurt accompanying a more seasoned cop during a police raid on a Family warehouse. He knocks Kurt unconscious when he decides to just go in guns blazing, but is almost immediately killed himself when the presumed-to-be-dead Silver Odysseus appears to blow up the building.