Exit Stage Left!: The Snagglepuss Chronicles is a six-issue miniseries starring the classic Hanna-Barbera character Snagglepuss. It was written by Mark Russell and is part of the Hanna-Barbera Beyond series.
In 1953, as America looks for ways to outmaneuver the Soviet Union, the House Un-American Activities Committee seeks to rid the entertainment industry of those whose work they deem disruptive to public morals. Among their targets is Snagglepuss, creator of popular but controversial plays like The Heart is a Kennel of Thieves. When the HUAC's new head finds evidence that Snagglepuss is gay, he must figure out how to outwit them before he ends up on the blacklist.
This series contains examples of:
- Adaptational Sexuality: In the original cartoons, Snagglepuss and Huckleberry were both straight, albeit with Snagglepuss being Camp Straight. In this series, they are both gay.
- Animated Actors: Snagglepuss, Quick Draw, and Huckleberry Jr. end up joining a television studio to star in cartoons after their lives get upended by the HUAC.
- Armored Closet Gay:
- Quickdraw McGraw has managed to build a reputation for himself as a homophobic cop to cover up his off-duty visits at the Stonewall.
- Gigi Allen's vicious pursuit of suspected homosexuals is her way of misdirecting people from her own life, in which she is living with another woman.
- The Beard: In order to protect his public image, Snagglepuss hires actress Lila Lion to pose as his wife.
- Bittersweet Ending: Snagglepuss does his best to keep all his loved ones out of harm's way, but so much still goes wrong and his life as a playwright is over. Things are looking up at the end as he finds a promising new career (see Animated Actors).
- Boomerang Bigot: Gigi Allen, head of the House Un-American Activities Committee and outwardly militant anti-homosexual, is a lesbian.
- Continuity Nod: In order to get a job on Quickdraw's show, Snagglepuss changes his name to Snaggletooth and dyes his fur orange. This is a reference to his early appearances in the cartoons, in which he was orange and called Snaggletooth.
- Dead Guy Junior: Huckleberry Jr. son stars in cartoons under his father's name as a way of honoring him.
- Deadpan Snarker: Snagglepuss, in spades. The very first scene has him snarking away at the HUAC.Interrogator: Mr. Puss, what do you have to say to critics who call your work "a three-martini subversion of American values" and "pornography for PHD's"?Snagglepuss: I try not to speak to critics. It only encourages them.
- Driven to Suicide: Poor Huckleberry Hound kills himself after getting caught up in a raid and publicly outed as gay.
- Evil Cannot Comprehend Good: Gigi is genuinely shocked when she learns that Huckleberry Hound killed himself, as she assumed that he would sell out other subversives in order to save his own skin, as she did.
- Hauled Before A Senate Subcommittee: Well, HUAC, which is in the House not the Senate, but the trope still applies.
- Heteronormative Crusader: Snagglepuss' troubles begin when the HUAC's new head, Gigi Allen, starts directing the committee's efforts towards rooting out suspected homosexuals in the entertainment industry.
- Living Is More Than Surviving: During his hearings, Gigi tries to persuade Snagglepuss by claiming sacrificing careers of few people and censoring their works is a small price for stopping the threat of Soviets destroying America with nukes. He is having none of it.Snagglepuss: You are offering people their lives like a vegetarian sells ham!
- My God, What Have I Done?:
- While it only lasts for a moment, Gigi is clearly deeply unsettled when she learns that her actions have caused Huckleberry Hound to kill himself.
- Quickdraw is horrified and disgusted with himself when he helps raid the Stonewall, leading to Huckleberry's public outing and downfall, just to keep his own reputation and job.
- No Celebrities Were Harmed:
- Pantsless Males, Fully-Dressed Females: The male animal characters don't wear pants, but female animal characters wear dresses.
- Transparent Closet: Huckleberry Hound is very, very bad at trying to keeping himself in the closet. Snagglepuss isn't much better at acting straight, but he's smart enough to hire a beard.