Doméstico (Spanish for Domestic/Home-made) is an Argentinian one-shot comic created by Sebastian De Caro and Diego Greco (bad dog). It's a realistic story about a normal (but somehow crazy) guy who one day decides to dress up on a superhero costume, and be a superhero himself. Since the setting is realistic, let's just say things don't go exactly according to his plans.
This comic book pre-dates Kick-Ass the comic by a year, and has more than a few things in common. Besides the setting of "normal dude who dress up as a super-hero" and who "gets his ass kicked hard time", the suits' similarities are astonishing. Said similarities are even bigger in the Movie, and the actor playing Kick-Ass resembles Doméstico a lot.
For more info about Kick-Ass/Domestico, you can visit this blog.
Doméstico'' provides examples of:
- Anti-Hero: In order to became a super hero, Domestico is willing to steal money from a super market and deceive his grandmother.
- Deconstruction: of the Super Hero genre. While it has everything that a super hero needs to be called one, the whole thing is extremely realistic.
- Arch-Nemesis: Is the guy who is with the only girl he loves.
- Super Powers: has none, besides being incredibly stubborn.
- SideKicks: For different reasons, two or three guys help him during his quest. Most of them are only former friends, and hate helping him in this.
- Distressed Damsel: The woman he loves. She is not in danger, and she doesn't want to see him.
- Extravagant Tools: he only has an scooter he buys from a eBay-like webpage.
- Determinator: described as Domestico's only super power.
- Hollywood Nerd: Domestico is quite handsome for being a nerdy guy.
- I Just Want to Be Special (combined with Heroic Wannabe/ I Just Want to Be Badass): Domestico's motivation for becoming a super-hero is to be able to be special. He wants to prove that, even in the dullest world, something unusually movie-like can happen.
- Reality Ensues: Pretty much the ending. The girl he was trying to win over ignores him and calls him crazy. The guy he tries to defeat beats him up easily. The people from the Asylum find him (thanks to his friend betraying him) and lock him up again
- Super Hero Origin: Mariano talks about his past in order to explain why he became Domestico.
- Unreliable Narrator: Subverted. Mariano is totally nuts, but his story is 100% believable.