The Punisher: What is even happening?note
One night, Frank Castle is shooting down the members of Club Vs., a bar where patrons bet on superhero vs. supervillain fights. As he is shooting down everyone in the vicinity, he gets intel on Simon Noonan Banks, otherwise known as "The Bank"; a man notorious for his funding of criminal organizations and their sprees.
The Bank also happens to have managed Deadpool's money since before his time at Weapon X and is an all-around good friend of his, so of course Deadpool's gonna take issue with anyone trying to kill him. However, when things escalate, Deadpool doesn't hesitate to hunt down The Punisher because of it.
But what if the Punisher is being set up?
This miniseries has examples of these tropes:
- Arc Words: Issue #1 has variations of "I feel sorry for them/other people."
- Black Comedy: Deadpool's involved, so of course this is going to take effect. However, a conversation in issue #1 really takes the cake:The Bank: Wade!!! You gonna just let him kill me? And Hudson?!
Deadpool: Baannnk... Come on, you invite me over to your house just to get free merc work outta me?
The Bank: WADE!!!
Deadpool: Besides, you have bodyguards to handle him.
Deadpool: Or...you did. I'll go help now!
The Bank: About time!
- Boom, Headshot!: Frank pulls this on Deadpool twice, before Deadpool returns the favour, non-lethally. Then they pull one off together on the Bank.
- Both Sides Have a Point: Frank and Wade aren't exactly wrong about the other...The Punisher: Wilson. Motor-mouthed, muddle-headed, arrested adolescent with delusions of competence...
Deadpool: Castle. Self-righteous, sociopathic, shoot-first-ask-questions-never, humorless fascist hard-ass...
- Callback: Deadpool brings up the time that Frank used to be Franken-Castle, but nobody talks about it anymore.
- Chekhov's Skill: Frank figures out that Mariana faked her death and used her skills as an Olympic swimmer to swim herself and her son while underwater.
- Dirty Coward: Radovan, the guy who tells The Punisher about The Bank to begin with, is The Bank's brother-in-law.
- The Bank himself, after trying to kill Deadpool and the Punisher, feebly tries to plead for his life. It doesn't save him.
- Evasive Fight-Thread Episode: Frank is pronounced the winner of the first two issues (due to shooting Deadpool), Deadpool the winner of the next two (due to getting Frank to crack a smile), and the winner of the last issue is you, the reader!
- Faking the Dead: Mariana, Banks' wife, does this to escape during Frank and DP's fight.
- Flat "What":
- While the Don of the Dead is fighting Deadpool and being pissed that he uses "Chimichangas" as a catchphrase, he shouts out "fluffer-nutters," "el Whopper with the special sauce" and "Hot Pockets," Frank can only say, "What is even happening?"
- And later, when Taskmaster's goons just give up because they were using him for training, he just stands there slack-jawed before shooting them all.
- Foe Yay: Invoked: Deadpool guesses people are going to ship him and Frank after they team up to neutralize Taskmaster. Frank doesn't know what that means, and makes sure to interrupt Deadpool before he can learn.
- Improbable Infant Survival: Hudson survives, even though neither of his parents do. He tells Deadpool that he's gonna be a Super Villain when he grows up. Deadpool laughs and tells him he can't be anything but, given the trauma he's suffered recently.
- Living MacGuffin: Banks' son is so precious to him because he's taught Hudson the access codes for the accounts of all his clients, making it more secure than having a list of codes somewhere.
- Off with His Head!: Taskmaster decapitates Mariana with his shield.
- Playing Card Motifs: The first issue's main cover has Deadpool and Punisher on opposite sides of a card.
- Pretty Little Headshots: The Punisher dishes one out to Deadpool at the very end of issue #1... and continues doing so throughout the rest of the story.
- Averted with The Bank, whose head explodes as a result of the combined gunfire of Deadpool and Punisher.
- Running Gag: Frank shooting Deadpool in the head, causing him to forget the last few minutes, experience the exact same dream every time and tell Frank about it. When Frank forgets himself and guesses what Wade is going to say, Wade figures out he's been getting shot and returns the favor non-fatally.
- One of the patrons in Club Vs. is a woman dressed like Vampirella.
- In Issue 2 while DP, Mariana and Hudson are running to the chopper, DP shouts out "STOP THE PIGEON!!! How? Stab him! Jab him! Tab him! Grab him!"
- Super Gullible: Deadpool wakes up to find himself tied to the seat of Frank's van. Frank tells him it's because Wade fell asleep and Frank didn't want him falling off and hurting himself. When Frank leaves, Wade asks why he's still tied up, Frank counters that Wade might fall asleep again. Wade agrees.
- Took a Level in Badass: Taskmaster normally has no match for Deadpool. But in issue 4, by making use of Frank Castle's no-nonsense combat style, Tasky was decisively beating the hell out of Wade before Frank managed to save him, and he even put up a solid fight against both at once.
- Versus Title