A furry comic book (originally webcomic) by Rukis.
Reis is a wolfdog whose closest friend is Marcus, a gay fennec fox. It starts out with Reis bringing Marcus home so he'd recover from a beating. Marcus learns that Reis is having some trouble at home due to Reis' parents' drug problems. Turns out, Reis is following in their footsteps.
There is also a sequel: Unconditional, which picks up about 2 1/2 years after Cruelty.
Cruelty provides examples of:
- Addled Addict: The reason Reis's mom is never around. In Unconditional, she dies of an overdose. Reis's father is already dead.
- Drugs Are Bad: Reis's father overdosed, his mother's been arrested multiple times for drug abuse and Reis himself is addicted to OxyContin and Codiene—and that's just the drugs we're told about.
- Feel No Pain: Reis due to him being high as a kite.
- Functional Addict: Reis
- Furry Comic: Yep.
- Groin Attack: Reis is on the receiving one during his fight with Tobias and Keith. It has no effect because he's on drugs.
- If It's You, It's Okay: In terms of men, Reis only seems to have eyes for Marcus.
- Interactive Fiction: There are two paths the plot can take. They have no real affect on the ending.
- Ivy League for Everyone: Marcus gets accepted into Raemont, which is said to be Ivy League.
- Made of Iron: Reis. He gets into a fight and kicks his attackers' asses, even though he's been bloodied and kneed in the groin. Turns out, he's drugged to the gills.
- Oh, Crap!: Tobias's reaction when bloodying Reis's face and later kneeing him in the balls has virtually no effect. Then Marcus's reaction when he sees Reis being arrested.
- In Unconditional, Marcus has one of these when he discovers the doctors are giving Reis, a recovering drug addict, opiates. He also points out that, had he been allowed to see Reis from the get-go, he'd have told the doctors about his drug problem.
- Parental Abandonment: His mom is in jail; his dad's dead of an overdose.
- Police are Useless: Thoroughly averted. Rukis even got help from a real cop for this comic.
- Poor Communication Kills: The doctor is not told that Reis must not have opiates, and points out that there are no allergies on Reis's medical file. His addiction is not noted.
- Porn with Plot: The porn part is averted if you take the plot path that Marcus does not spend the night with Reis.
- Prison: Reis ends up jailed for assault and drug possession.
- Punch! Punch! Punch! Uh Oh...: Pretty much the entire fight between Tobias and Keith vs. Reis
- Rouge Angles of Satin: It gets rather egregious when the author uses "based" instead of "best", amongst other flubs.
- A particularly hilarious example: Reis is addicted to oxytocin. As in, the hormone the brain releases when you hug somebody. Presumably the author meant to say OxyContin.
- Single-Target Sexuality: Reis only seems to have eyes for Marcus. Although he does admit to having trouble talking to women. Marcus even says in the sequel Unconditional that Reis would not have cared whether he was a guy or a girl(though he could have just been exaggerating).
- Teeny Weenie: Tobias is mocked for having one, even for a feline. This mockery is what triggers Tobias to beat up Marcus and pick a fight with Reis.