Clem Hetherington is a children's comic book series by Jen Breach and Douglas Holgate.
Clementine Hetherington is the daughter of a famous archaeologist who, along with her husband, died three years ago. She and her robot partner, Digory, escaped from the orphanage where they'd been living since then, so Clem can pursue her dream of following in her mother's footsteps. A dream that's hard to follow because nobody takes her seriously because she's underage.
However, Clem won't be dissuaded so easily. She's determined to become an archaeologist, and will do whatever it takes to achieve that.
The first book, Clem Hetherington And The Ironwood Race, was published in February 2018.
- The Big Race: The titular Ironwood Race of the first book. It's a four-day racing event where teams of archaeologists compete to be the first to reach and dig up artifacts hidden by Brecht Ironwood out in the desert. Oh, and it has no rules, so the racers can get dirty.
- Barefoot Cartoon Animal: The Croconoids.
- Black and Nerdy: Clem.
- Fully Dressed Cartoon Animal: Mainly applies to the Croconoids.
- HeelFace Turn: Brecht Ironwood had one after being a tomb robber for ten years. After that, he started tracking down all the artifacts he stole and sold on the black market to return them to the tombs he took them from.
- How We Got Here: The first book begins with Clem and Digory in a race against the Croconoids. Clem and Digory are about to crash into a giant creature before flashing back to the museum.
- It Belongs in a Museum: Clem has this attitude regarding the Ironwood artifacts, even though Kilburn wants to sell them for a lot of money.
- Just a Kid: People are reluctant to let Clem come along on archaeological digs because she's still a child, which vexes Clem to no end.
- Never Smile at a Crocodile: The Croconoids are a trio of anthropomorphic crocodile people.
- The Reveal: Clem finds out after the race that Mr. Kilburn killed her parents.
- Robot Buddy: Clem's partner Digory, aka, Dig. Since her father built him, they regard each other as siblings.
- Wham Line: After the race, we get this from Kilburn.