The story takes place in a mystical medieval-like world and the village of Hagardorn. Underneath one of its bridges lives the titular character Bodie Troll. He just has one problem, he's not particularly scary. Not that the town has any problem with it, they actually love the little guy. But this just irks Bodie to no end and he tries to find ways to make the villagers fear him. At least in between the mis-adventures he gets himself into along with his close friend Cholly, a barmaid/aspiring actress and playwright and her fairy godmother (and cook of the tavern they work in), Miz Bijou.
A Free Comic Day issue was released in 2014, with another one following in 2015. Following that came the announcement of a new four part mini-series subtitled "Fuzzy Memories" which continue the adventures of Bodie, Cholly and Miz Bijou. Issue 1 of this came out in 2015, with the promise of the issue two but then thing went quiet and Jay hasn't given any updates on this since.
In 2017 the comic joined the KaBOOM! Comics label.
Bodie Troll has the following tropes
- Achievements in Ignorance:
- Doubles also as a Brick Joke, through out most of Issue One there's mention of a goat eating monster on the loose. Bodie comes into contact with it when he picks up what he thinks is a giant chicken egg for Miz Bijou. He manages to stop it(albeit accidentally) by peeing in its mouth where it was mentioned one of the goat fields smelled like pee (that Bodie mentioned he peed in when trying to scare a heard of goats) which is apparently lethal to it.
- In the first issue of "Fuzzy Memories" Bodie unknowingly breaks the spell of the Kooghum tribe by eating their Butt Truffle form and pooping them out.
- All Trolls Are Different: Indeed, a main selling point of the comic.
- Amazing Technicolor Population: The Kooghum tribe are all colored purple
- Anti-Hero: Bodie, he may want the villagers to fear him but he's not cold-hearted enough to see harm come to them. Especially Cholly and Miz Bijou
- Babies Make Everything Better: Baby Fat Scott seems to do this in the two issue when his farts makes for a fertilizer that instantly grow vegetable and fruits. Which was perfect for the village since it was in a drought until the people actually taste it.
- Bald Mystic: The Koogum tribe all shave their heads due to a vow of baldness so Hokum is naturally bald as a result.
- Butt-Monkey: Bodie, suffers amusing injuries and just can't seem to scare anyone.
- The Bet: Issue One of "Fuzzy Memories" starts with Miz Bijou teasingly making one with Bodie that he can't eat something living to prove he's "scary". If he manages, she'll give him some dried roots for his effort, if not, he'll be shaved bald for Cholly's next play Though Bijou reveals she never intended to uphold the bargain if he had failed. Bodie ups the ante by going after something in a monster inhabited area known as "Dragon's Maw". At the end of the issue, Bodie technically does fulfill his end of the bet by unknowing eating the Butt Truffles which were the Kooghum tribe put under a spell. Though by eating them and pooping them out, Bodie manages to break the curse and revert them to normal.
- Came from the Sky: Scotius VII (aka Baby Fat Scott) was said to have fell from the sky, with his farts somehow managing to rain down random objects. Subverted, his parents are weather makers and he fell off their ship by accident. The objects were them throwing down things from their ship to help their infant.
- Creator Cameo: Miz Bijou turns away one of the theater goers in the second issue when the play is sold out. Said person is the author, Jay.
- Deathbringer the Adorable: Bodie's main pet peeve. He wants to be scary. But his cute looks don't help him the slightest.
- Drunk on Milk: In the 2015 FCBD issue, Bodie gets drunk on root beer. It's explained that sugared roots, as opposed to his favored food rotted roots, work as alcohol to him.
- Gender Bender: The second issue sees Bodie turned into a human girl for a play by magic lipstick.
- Hand Puppet: Socko, who acts as the local newscaster.
- I Ate WHAT?!: In issue four, after hearing he drunk scab root smoothie laced with sugar, Bodie instantly throws up.
- I Just Want to Be Special: Bodie in a way, he mentions all trolls are suppose to be scary and wants to fit that archetype.
- Keep the Reward: When Bodie manages to return Scott back to his parents. They state they plan to move their weather machine out of fear of their son being in danger again. In the process offering Bodie to be their lighting maker for saving their son, a chance to legitimately scare people. Bodie considers it but realizes Hagardorn will still be in its drought and be unable to thrive. He turns it down and offers to return their son if he falls again only if they continue providing the weather to the area. The couple agree.
- Last of His Kind: Hokum as her tribe was mysteriously turned into Butt Truffles after she had came back from a hunting rite of passage, leaving her the only one of Kooghum still around. Subverted as Bodie managed to break the spell over them.
- Leg Focus: Defied by Cholly, who mentions that she is not the type who wants folks seeing her legs or feet (and indeed through the comic series, they're always covered by a long dress to the point it looks like she's floating). This also seems to be a pet peeve of the author who tries to downplay any leg-related fanservice, especially since this comic is for kids.
- Magic Wand: Miz Bijou's wields one in the form of a spatula. Apparently this is a source of contention among her kind but the comic doesn't dwell into it as of yet.
- No Accounting for Taste: Bodie finds himself smittien with Hokum because she believes "a huge and terrifying troll" had turned her people into Butt Truffles. Bodie figures she means him and goes gaga over her despite the fact she's trying to kill him.
- Our Kobolds Are Different: One shows up in the third issue of the series. It's a buck-tooth, bald-headed being with spines on his head and arms that can use magic and apparently Eats Babies. He also works on Rumpelstiltskin-like rules when it comes to claiming ownership — if you can guess a kobold's name, they'll be sucked into the ground (though it has to be the true parent of the baby that does so, otherwise it's null).
- Proud Warrior Race Guy: The Kooghum Tribe, a race of monster hunters who Hokum belongs too.
- Real Fake Wedding: Done in the 2015 FCBD story when Bodie, intoxicated after drinking root beet, agrees to marry the little girl he was playing with. It seems like a silly little kids game untill it's revealed the oddball laws of the land make it legal. They only manage to get Bodie out of it by revealing he wasn't in his right mind at the time.
- Scary Scarecrows: Bodie encounters one in the 2014 FCBD issue who guards the mystical garden.
- Smooch of Victory: Cholly gives one to Bodie at the end of the fourth issue.
- So Long, Suckers!: The woman Bodie tries to scare in third issue. She been attacked by falling objects for most of the day since a baby fell in her laundry and quickly hands it off to Bodie (thinking he's a kobold) before running off (and getting hit by a couch).
- You Killed My Father: After Miz Bjou explains to Hokum how her tribe was transformed into Butt Truffle by an evil fairy and Bodie let's slip he unknowingly ate the truffles. Hokum instantly goes after him, surprisingly he willingly offers himself up as an apology to her. She can't go through with killing him however which wound up working out for everyone in the end.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Bodie and Miz Bijou, the two argue constantly and make it no secret they don't like one another. But it's obvious that they both care for Cholly and do look out for each other when things hit the fan.