Angelus is a six-issue comic book limited series published by Top Cow Productions in 2009.
Following the events of War of the Witchblades, Danielle Baptiste returns home to New Orleans to come to grips with her new role as the Angelus, the human bearer of the primal force of Light. To complicate matters she must sort out her undefined relationship with Finch while maintaining control of the Angelus host, some of whom covet her power.
Angelus provides examples of:
- Action Girl: Dani, of course. The female Angelus Warriors in general are this.
- Angry Guard Dog: Cerberus guards the entrance to Hell to ensure that noone gets in or out. If he gets killed, the Lord of Hell always eventually just brings him back to life to resume his duties.
- Asskicking Equals Authority: Among the Angelus Warriors, rank is attained through personal combat. If a warrior wishes to move to a higher caste, they have to defeat and kill a warrior from that caste in order to create an opening for themselves.
- Bad Boss: When Sabine discovers that the only surviving Angelus Warrior had to bond with the Wheel of Shadows in order to escape from Hell, she swiftly kills her in order to bond with the artifact herself.
- Clingy MacGuffin: Once the Wheel of Time has bonded with a host, it cannot be forcibly removed unless the host dies.
- Hard Light: The Angelus Warriors and the Kingdom of Light they reside in are all made of light that the Angelus sculpted into "forms she finds pleasing". When an Angelus Warrior dies, they return to the light.
- Heroic Host: Dani, which many of the Angelus Warriors don't like as previous hosts merely served as vessels for the Angelus.
- Hoist by Her Own Petard: Sabine's plan of using the Wheel of Shadows to kill Dani and become the host of the Angelus backfires when she discovers that she's permanently bonded with the Wheel of Shadows, making it impossible for her to ever become a host for the Angelus.
- Klingon Promotion: Sabine attempts to do this by killing Dani, but ends up not only being defeated instead, but also permanently bonded with the Wheel of Shadows, making it impossible for her to ever become a host for the Angelus.
- Light 'em Up: Dani, due to being the host of the Angelus, can manipulate light and create constructs from it such as swords.
- Light Is Not Good: The Angelus and its warriors are single-mindedly devoted towards fighting the Darkness, which results in them often being just as cruel or even worse than the Darkness itself.
- Rapid Aging: Sabine uses the Wheel of Shadows to turn Finch into a dying old woman in order to provoke Dani into fighting her. After defeating her, Dani successfully manages to force Sabine into turning Finch back to normal.
- The Starscream: Sabine, the second-in-command of the Angelus Warriors, plots to defeat Dani and forcefully take the Angelus Force from her due to the fact that Dani has retained her free will and thus isn't as committed to their cause as she otherwise would be.
- Time Master: The Wheel of Shadows gives its wielder the power to control the time of things and people through the use of being enshrouded in their shadows, causing the person/thing to become younger or older. It also allows its user to have premonitions of the future. It does not, however, allow for Time Travel.