The story takes place a century after the events of Albedo: Erma Felna EDF, when the entire anthropomorphic civilization has collapsed after another war came out once that Erma passed way due to old age, and both the Extraplanetary Defense Force, the Independent Lepine Republic, along with Enchawah Corporation, came down with it.
The proper story begins when Prince Alfon Koshaka, the legitimate prince of the Principality of Shartoa, wages a revolution against Tosiu, another country who invaded his homeland, and helding his family as hostages once his country was defeated. With the help of his girlfriend Jenna and a few friends and allies, Alfon will try to reclaim his homeland, while dealing with the ghosts of the previous era and the mysteries that surround them.
- Actionized Sequel: While it still the characters had conversations about the socio-political ramifications about what they have done, we see lots of ground military warfare this time, compared with its prequel, when the action was scarse.
- After the End - Interstellar society has collapsed and individual planets are divided into nations fighting over what's left.
- Dystopia: Not at Mad Max or Fist of the North Star levels, but the setting is a shadow of its former self, compared with its prequel.
- Feudal Future: Some planets (like Prince Alfon's one) regressed towards feudal-like societies.
- La Résistance: Two different revolutionary groups rise up at the same time.
- Lost Superweapon: The EDF's Wave Motion Gun.
- The Magnificent Seven Samurai: The crew of the Winkles.
- Noble Fugitive - Prince Alfon Kodoka, who comes back to start a revolution.
- Non-Standard Character Design: Oh boy, where to begin: Basically almost everyone else looks too different compared with their Albedo counterparts, since most of the character looks more cartoony and animal-like compared with the previous series, when everyone else looked more human-like, save for the birds and penguins. This is especially egregious if you take into account Birthright was published originally along Albedo, albeit in different magazines.
- Noodle Incident: The Third Lepine War, which ocurred after Erma's demise by old age, and acts as the backstory of the comic, unfolded in an unexplained way, other than, by Word of God, involved genocidal amounts of nuclear and even biological weapons.
- Stealth Sequel: While actually Word of God stated Birthright is the sequel of Albedo, it wasn't too evident at first because the whole story avoids mentioning the EDF, Enchawah, and the ILR, since it only mentions about the whole society collapsed after years of war.note As the story goes, we find the society uses the same Fictionary used in Albedo, the mention about the EDF's Wave Motion Gun and the fact Kala is descendant of Erma Felna.
- You Can't Go Home Again: After expelling the Tosiu invaders from Shartoa, Alfon and his men are attacked by anti-royalist forces hellbent to kill him and his family just to prevent the return of the previous status quo before the Tosiu invaded the country and they only managed to barely escape from the planet alive after the crew of the Winkles rescue them.