The fourth Adventure Time spin-off comic miniseries, written by Paul Tobin (Bandette, Banana Sunday, various Marvel Adventures titles) and Colleen Coover (Bandette, Banana Sunday, X Men First Class), with art by Wook Jin Clark (Megagogo).
When Finn and Jake find themselves at a loose end, they look for possibilities on a "questing board". However, without realising the implications, they take a quest from the reverse side of the board, and are forced to achieve the opposite of what they initially assumed, or see Ooo destroyed by a bizarre "reverse curse".
The Flip Side has the following tropes:
- Abduction Is Love: The story is driven by Princess Painting's desire to be kidnapped by Monkey Wizard, and his indifference to her.
- Action Girl: Princess Skyblade Harbinger, who ended Monkey Wizard's princess-kidnapping by stealing his rabbit.
- All-Knowing Singing Narrator: Slim Strings in the Western section.
- The Apunkalypse: The Wasteland Abominations have this style.
- Bizarro Universe: The effect of the Reverse Curse, which starts off by just interchanging things and then turns all things sense into nonsense.
- Calling Your Attacks: MARCELINE SUPER PUNCH!
- Covers Always Lie: The cover of the collected edition shows Jake chasing a cowboy-styled Lemongrab. Although Lemongrab makes a couple of brief cameos, he doesn't turn up in the Western bit. This is probably because the cover was originally an alternate cover for the comic issue, by an artist who probably wasn't told much beyond the basics.
- Cowboy Episode: The Dustberg section, complete with saloons, stetsons, a hillbilly musician narrator, and a main street gunfight.
- Dire Beast: Mr. Biscuits the giant rabbit.
- Disproportionate Retribution: The security guards at the museum beat the hell out of an owl just for flying over and hooting.
- FaceMonster Turn: When the Reverse Curse turns Jake into the Princess Rustler.
- Fluffy Tamer: Marceline's response to the giant bunny rabbit.
- Fusion Dance: At the climax, Finn, Jake and Princess Bubblegum end up as random combinations of one another.
- High-School Dance: The Marshmallow Mixer.
- Laser Hallway: Parodied when Finn, Jake, Ice King and Gunther are stealing the Lecherous Heart - after the four have done acrobatics through the lasers it's revealed that the "lasers" were normal torches held by security guards, who completely fail to react.
- Maybe Magic, Maybe Mundane: All Princess Skyblade Harbinger's prophecies end up coming true, but they're so mundane that they might just be good guesses.
- Serious Business: The Marshmallow Mixer King and Queen election is treated like an actual war.
- Shapeshifting: Princess Painting's face and artistic style change randomly.
- Shout-Out: Some of Princess Painting's appearances are references to real-world artworks and painters.
- Sick and Wrong: The characters' response to Ricardio making out with the Lecherous Heart.
- Zombie Apocalypse: The final stage of the Reverse Curse.