The characters of Zero and Ao no Kiseki. Characters who first appear in one of the other arcs or who play a more prominent role there can be found on the pages for the respective arcs. As always, beware of potential spoilers.
A newly created unit within the CSPD with the stated mission of accepting any request for help from any citizen. Dismissed as a publicity stunt by the rest of the police, its members are all rookies and non-traditional officers. The Crossbell arc is their story as they rise to the challenge of overcoming public distrust of the police and become heroes of the city, before being drawn into events with far wider implications.
- Voiced by: Tetsuya Kakihara
A rookie police detective who found himself effectively placed in charge of the Special Support Section. He believes strongly in justice and has faith that he and his companions can make a real difference to the troubled city of Crossbell. He is also driven to solve the mystery of his brother's death three years ago.
- Accidental Pervert: Gets a handful of Sully's nearly non-existent chest while trying to restrain her, thinking she's a boy.
- A Taste of Power: In Cold Steel IV, he, Elie, Estelle, Joshua, and Renne start off at level 88, their Master Quartz at level 5note and have mid-game tier quartz equipped. As soon as their prologue chapter ends, players are then stuck with Juna, Kurt, and Altina with barely any starting equipment. Randy is also at a lower level than the prologue party members but is more of a Crutch Character when he first joins.
- Big Brother Worship : Lloyd thinks his brother was the model he should always strive for to be.
- The Cameo: In Cold Steel III, he makes an appearance that has him watching the Derfflinger alongside Arios and KeA going away from Crossbell. He fist bumps the air, and Rean responds in kind.
- Chick Magnet: Has managed to earn a fan nickname in honor of this and managed to accumulate as many potential love interests in two games as Adol has managed in an entire series. Even the Guys Want Him.
- Clueless Chick Magnet: It runs in the family apparently, although Lloyd and Guy do eventually get a clue. Kicking sense into them may need to be involved. He's still this by Cold Steel IV to Elie's annoyance although Lloyd tries to deny it, claiming that he's somewhat better than Rean about this trope during the night at Mishelam.
- Deadly Upgrade: Burning Heart. The deadly part goes away in Cold Steel IV.
- Dual Tonfas: Lloyd's preferred method of fighting (which he inherited from Guy), and as a bonus he's a police officer.
- Dueling Player Characters: He ends up facing Rean at the bottom of Geofront while he and Rixia are planning to wipe out the Orbal Net.
- Enemy Mine : He teams up with Garcia in order to break out of prison and with Cao as part of the resistance.
- Fugitive Arc: Gets one when he and Garcia break out of prison. Then he gets another one during the Divertissment of Cold Steel II and throughout Cold Steel III where he's a wanted man alongside Arios, KeA, and Rixia.
- Guile Hero: As beffiting a detective, Lloyd is one of the smartest characters in the game.
- In-Series Nickname: Ilya calls Lloyd Otouto-kun (Little Brother) because that's how Cecile described him. Soon, all the other nurses at St. Ursula are also calling Lloyd this, imitating Ilya imitating Cecile.
- Instant Awesome: Just Add Dragons!: His Rising Sun S-Craft ends with a fiery dragon coming up from the ground and swallowing his enemies.
- Limit Break: His S-Crafts in Zero are "Tiger Charge" and "Rising Sun," with Ao also giving him "Meteor Breaker." For his appearances in the Cold Steel games, he keeps "Rising Sun."
- Nice Guy: He's a pretty stand-up guy, which helps explain some of his "popularity."
- Papa Wolf: Don't touch his daughter. He would jump into a portal to who knows where to prevent her from killing herself
- Parental Substitute : To KeA
- Previous Player-Character Cameo: In The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II but with a twist: he's the playable guy while the protagonist of that game is his major antagonist in the Crossbell portion of the game.
- Pre-Climax Climax : Downplayed but this happens if you go for Elie's bondings events at the end of both games. In their final event in Zero, they nearly kisses until a Moment Killer stop them and in Ao, they finally kiss with an added Love Confession.
- Promotion to Parent: Ends up adopting KeA with the rest of the SSS.
- The Leader: He gets the job the day the SSS is formed by virtue of being the only member to have completed the full course of training at Crossbell's Police Academy.
- Ripple Effect-Proof Memory: He begins to remember events from the original timeline in the form of dreams.
- She Is Not My Girlfriend: Poor Lloyd has to say this a lot, mainly to Cecile.
- Teleport Spam: His Rising Sun S-Craft has him teleporting around and hitting his enemies at various angles.
- Worthy Opponent : A feeling Rean shares.
- You Are Better Than You Think You Are: Ends up giving this pep talk to Rean in Cold Steel IV when Rean doesn't accept his handshake because of Rean's perceived failure of dragging the entire world to a war against the empire and that Crossbell is going to be affected by it. Rean ends up accepting the handshake after the pep talk.
- Voiced by: Aya Endo
The granddaughter of Mayor MacDowell who dreams of reforming Crossbell's corrupt political system. She joins the SSS believing it can be a force for change.
- A-Cup Angst: Ironically, despite others verbally expressing this towards her, during Ao's Beach Episode, Cecile compliments her figure, and Elie can't help but think in a rather awkward voice that it doesn't mean much coming from her.
- A Taste of Power: See Lloyd's entry above in relation to Cold Steel IV.
- Beam Spam: Her Aerial Cannon and Divine Crusade S-Crafts, with the latter adding Roboteching and Yin-Yang Bomb for extra awesomeness.
- The Bus Came Back: She was only mentioned in Cold Steel III, with Alisa looking forward to meeting her at the end of Chapter 2 (and Randy and Sharon thinking that they'll get along quite well), but she (along with Lloyd) was one of the first characters shown◊ for Cold Steel IV: The End of Saga.
- Buxom Is Better: The A-Cup Angst felt by Tio and Shirley (as listed in their entries) is directed towards her.
- Connected All Along: Cold Steel IV reveals that she's distantly related to Aurelia on Elie's mother's side. The clue is in their silver hair.
- Foreign Exchange Student: She spent some time studying abroad prior to the events of Zero.
- Gag Boobs: Elie has always been well-endowed, but by Cold Steel IV she's even bigger. Lampshaded by Randy who questions whether or not she grew again much to her annoyance when they finally meet up during the game. Tio also complains about not being able to breathe when Elie decides to give her a hug too.
- The Gunslinger: It's her weapon of choice so automatically this trope applies.
- Implied Love Interest: It can be said that she is Lloyd's, given how her special scene before Ao's final dungeon is the only one to have a mutual love confession, as well as a kiss to top it off.
- Impossibly Cool Clothes: Her nice coat stands out. Also, she goes around in heeled cowboy boots.
- Instant Runes: Her Aerial Cannon attack creates one of these at the end of her gun, which is then used to rapid-fire a whole lot of energy beams at the enemy.
- Limit Break: Her S-Crafts in Zero are "Aura Rain" and "Aerial Cannon," with Ao adding in "Divine Crusade." Cold Steel IV opts to have "Aura Rain" as her sole S-Craft.
- Mysterious Past: Ao no Kiseki raises all kinds of questions about her time abroad. Not only does she know the Grals Ritter exist (to the point that she can personally identify one of its members) but her studies in Alteria apparently included enough research into the secret portions of the Church canon that she's the person who initially provides information on the Pleroma Flowers. Exactly what she was doing studying that material and why is fuel for Wild Mass Guessing.
- Nice Girl: A very polite and sweet girl. Not that you should underestimate her, though.
- The Ojou: Notably, even before everyone found out her grandfather was the mayor, Randy called her "Ojou" in place of her name.
- Older Is Better: Played with; her handgun looks old, but it's been modified with the latest technology.
- Parental Substitute : To KeA
- Raised by Grandparents: Her parents divorced, left Crossbell and left Elie with her grandfather.
- Secret Keeper: She knows the Grals Ritter exist and knows Ries is a member and when the two meet up again for the first time in Ao, Ries asks Elie to keep quiet.
- Silk Hiding Steel: Elie would like to remind you that just because she comes from a wealthy family, is extremely polite and wears pink doesn't mean she's not every bit as capable as anyone else in the SSS. If necessary, she'll be happy to remind you at gunpoint.
- Shared Family Quirks : Like her grandfather, she is fond of bitter food.
- Shipper on Deck : Downplayed, but she seems quite interested by the talk between Lechter and Kloe.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: Elie is afraid of ghosts and is less than thrilled when an investigation into strange happenings at an old ruin turn into Ghostbusting 101. To be fair, when ghosts are very real and want to kill you, being afraid of them isn't that unreasonable.
- Voiced by: Kaori Mizuhashi
A very young researcher for the Epstein Foundation, assigned to the newly formed Special Support Section of the CSPD to perform field tests on the new Enigma-model Tactical Orbment and the Orbal Staff. She remains officially a member of the Foundation and is supposed to stay out of harm's way as much as possible. She doesn't.
- A-Cup Angst: In her special scene in Ao, she apologizes for not being as fun to hug as Elie. Averted in Cold Steel III where she has been budding, though not to the levels of the other female characters.
- Black Magician Girl: The reworked Quartz system means that her Water alignment leans less severely towards support casting than in the previous trilogy. In both looks and general role she's easily this trope, although her personality is atypical for the trope.
- Boom Stick: When in Gunner Mode, her Orbal Staff is a rather literal version of this.
- Catchphrase: What a bothernote .
- Chainmail Bikini: Her chest armor, which she sometimes forgets she's wearing.
- Child Mage: The youngest SSS member and the best caster, at least until Łazy joins in Ao. Since she's a field researcher for the Epstein Foundation and magic in the series involves skillful manipulation of Tactical Orbments her skill is less a function of age and more experience at handling the prototype technology in question.
- Dark and Troubled Past: She was one of the many children abducted by the D∴G Cult and used in their horrific Gnosis experiments. She is also the only one to have survived of all the children at the Lodge where she was taken.
- Girlish Pigtails
- Heroic BSoD: During a sidequest in Ao, Tio can learn a truth that shakes the foundations of her world: Beneath the costume, Michey is a middle-aged man. She spends the remainder of the sidequest in a state of shock.
- An Ice Person: Absolute Zero, Mega Zero Cannon and Cold Gehenna reflect her elemental slant towards Water.
- Little Girls Kick Shins: For a given value of 'little girl', Tio indulges in a bit of this while trying to let Lloyd know that he's Not So Different from his brother in certain ways.
- Laser Blade: Her Beam Zanber, combining this trope with a shoutout to Nanoha and Crossbone Gundam.
- Limit Break: Her S-Crafts in Zero are "Aether Buster" and "Zero Field," with Ao also giving her "Eidron Gear." For the Cold Steel games, her S-Craft is "Aether Strike."
- Little Miss Snarker: She has her moments. Lots of moments.
- Magic Staff: She's the first playable character to use Orbal Staff as a weapon of choice.
- Mission Control: She and Elise support Rean, Class VII, Randy, and Tita in Cold Steel IV, guiding them through Level X in the Einhell Fortress. She also ends up doing this in the epilogue of Cold Steel IV during the liberation of Crossbell.
- Previous Player-Character Cameo: She reappears in Cold Steel III, having become business partners-of-sorts with Alisa as representatives of of the Epstein Foundation and Reinford Company respectively. She even joins as a Guest-Star Party Member on 2 occasions.
- Rei Ayanami Expy: Let's see, young (she's 14), pale skin, blue hair, golden eyes, emotionally detached but becomes less so over time and her Dark and Troubled Past explains the eyes and detachment. Yep, she fits the bill all right and she is awesome.
- Serious Business: Michey, the mascot character of Michelam Wonderland. Her room is full of MWL merchandise (and later some Kagemaru goods), her room decoration scene is all about her love of cat-related things, at one point she give Sully a lecture on the importance of Michey and the one question she absolutely has to ask a fortune-teller is 'how compatible are Michey and I?'.
- She's All Grown Up: Her appearance in Cold Steel III where it takes place one year and six months before Crossbell is liberated, making her 16-years old.
- Shy Blue-Haired Girl: During the Crossbell arc but she grows out of it by the Erebonia arc.
- Speaks Fluent Animal: She's capable of understanding Zeit (a big damn wolf) and explaining what he says to the rest of the party.
- Sugar-and-Ice Personality: While she may seem cool and distant, she's actually kind and considerate.
- Supernatural Gold Eyes
- Super Senses: Tio's senses are extremely acute as a result of her exposure to Gnosis; the headband sensors are really more to conceal that she's doing all the detecting herself.
- This winds up being a disadvantage to her as well. Hearing the sounds of slaughter a room away greatly distressed her, a person shouting in the same room caused her visible pain.
- Super Prototype: The Orbal Staffs used by Eliot and Emma in the next game are less sophisticated than Tio's original model in terms of variety.
- Swiss Army Weapon: Magical staff, laser blade and multi-mode BFG in one compact package.
- Tsundere: A mild example of one, mostly directed at Lloyd.
- Tears of Joy: Played for laughs when the group visit Michelam Wonderland
- Wave Motion Gun: Tio's Ether Buster is a handheld one of these.
- Wingding Eyes: Anything involving Mishy will get her riled up with her eyes glowing. Even the night before the world war in Cold Steel IV where she watches Mishy alongside a bunch of kids.
Randolph "Randy" Orlando
- Voiced by: Shin-ichiro Miki
A former member of the Crossbell Guardian Force. He joins the SSS by request of Vice-Commander Sonya.
- Ace Custom: Averted; in Cold Steel III, when he serves as an opponent and later playable character in Panzer Soldat training battles, he uses a a standard Hector. The giant Stun Halberd doesn't count, as there's giant variations of all the campus's pilots available.
- Affectionate Gesture to the Head: Performs one of these on Mireille in his first appearance in Ao. He's flirting with her at the time.
- Badass Teacher: He teaches battle tactics in Cold Steel III.
- Bifurcated Weapon: Berserga is Randy's most powerful weapon and consists of a machine gun with a BFS. It's also limited as Randy's Limit Break.
- Big Brother Mentor: He's the oldest of the SSS members (21 at the start of Zero), and Lloyd even notes how he acts like a big brother towards the rest of them. He also slowly becomes this for Rean in Cold Steel III (he's 24 by Cold Steel III).
- The Big Guy: The tallest member of the SSS and Thors II.
- Blade on a Stick: His Stun Halberd, which is standard equipment for CGF members.
- Cast From Hitpoints: He's the resident Wild Rage user of the Crossbell arc.
- Child Soldier: His past as a member of Red Constellation.
- Chivalrous Pervert: He's not above hitting on every reasonably attractive female he runs into but he's also a genuinely nice guy and you don't want to make any of the ladies cry if he's around to see it. During the 70th anniversary celebration, he works out a schedule so he can spend time with every woman he's flirted with.
- Played with in the Special Collection Book, where his profile section includes in-character comments on a number of female characters.
- Cool Teacher: In Cold Steel III, he ends up teaching at Thors II.
- Crutch Character: In Cold Steel IV, he assumes this position compared to Juna, Kurt, and Altina who lost a lot of levels between Cold Steel III and Cold Steel IV, sleeping for two whole weeks. He ends up being level 50 while the rest start at level 28. Once a week has passed in-game, they have the same level though Randy is still more powerful than any of them. He also leaves the party after players obtain Ash.
- Dark and Troubled Past: He's the son of the leader of the most powerful Jaeger group in western Zemuria and has literally grown up on the battlefield and been killing people since the age of nine.
- DLC: Players can grab his red jacket from the Crossbell arc in Cold Steel IV as his DLC costume.
- Doesn't Like Guns: This is what got him booted from the CGF prior to the start of Zero; he refused to train with the rifle and his commander pitched a fit. They remind him uncomfortably of his past.
- First-Name Basis: For the first chapter of Cold Steel III, he refers to Rean by his last name, but decides to stop in Chapter 2, even giving Rean the okay to call him "Randy." This is the first sign of the two of them becoming friends.
- Girl-on-Girl Is Hot: He seems to be of this opinion, judging by his comments when he sees how Mariabell interacts with Elie.
- Guest-Star Party Member: For only one Soldat fight in Cold Steel III. He doesn't even get a victory quote nor do both Rean and Randy call each other by names when they execute their Combination Attack, unlike other characters. In Cold Steel IV, he's playable on-foot during the first part of Chapter 1 before leaving, only to return during Chapter 2, and be consistently available afterwards, with the exceptions of Chapter 3's Sanctuary of Luna, as well as the final dungeon. You can, however, use him for the final boss, allowing you to finally team him up alongside Agate and Gaius for Wild Rage fun.
- Hot Teacher: Some of his female students do find him attractive.
- Kill It with Fire: His Orbment includes Fire-restricted Slots and he has several Crafts based around the theme, including Salamander and Crimson Gale, which can set targets on fire as a secondary effect.
- La Résistance: He joins up with Mireille and the rest of the Bellguard CGF members who refused to go along with Dieter's plan near the end of Ao. Naturally, he also joins the larger group that forms the resistance against Erebonian occupation following the conclusion of the game.
- Late-Arrival Spoiler: His reason for joining Thors II in Cold Steel III is well known by fans because he's spying for the resistance. Downplayed in that Erebonia has so many problems, he's ends up spending most of his time assisting the protagonists.
- Likes Older Women: As shown with his positive reaction to Cecile being two years older than him. A reaction he shows again when Sharon replies that she's one year older than him in ''Cold Steel III''.
- Limit Break: His S-Crafts in Zero are "Crimson Gale" and "Death Scorpions," with Ao adding in "Berserga." Cold Steel IV keeps "Bersega" as his sole S-Craft, with "Crimson Gale" becoming a regular S-Craft.
- Mix-and-Match Weapon:His Berserga is a mix of what looks like a big submachine gun and blade.
- The Nicknamer: Most commonly "Ojou" for Elie, "Tiosuke" for Tio, and "Ke-bou"note for KeA. In Cold Steel III, this extends to Juna, calling her "Ju-bounote . Cold Steel IV has him calling Altina "Alkichi" and tries to have one with Machias as "Ma-chi"note with the latter three not really wanting to have one.
- One-Hit KO: Death Storm has a chance to inflict instant death.
- Previous Player-Character Cameo: In Cold Steel III, serving as an instructor at Thors Reeves Branch for Class VIII. He's never playable on foot, but you do use him during a Panzer Soldat training battle. Cold Steel IV finally makes him playable.
- The Reveal: He's the son of the former leader of the Red Constellation jaegers. And Berserga was made by the Black Workshop alongside Shirley's Testa-Rossa.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: Against the entirety of Red Constellation after they launch the first phase of their attack. Unfortunately, Shirley's chainsaw makes short work of Randy's hastily refurbished Berserga.
- Sempai/Kohai: Having previously been Noel's senior in the CGF, she always refers to him as "Randy-sempai." As does Juna, due to his being in SSS.
- She Is Not My Girlfriend: In Cold Steel III, he will always deny Mireille being his special someone whenever it's brought up. Given how Tio threatening to call her got him to stop hitting on Sharon, it's safe to say he's not all that convincing.
- Secret Keeper: He figures out that Łazy is a member of the Gralsritter based on his interactions with Ries but keeps quiet about it. In exchange, Łazy keeps quiet about his crusade against Red Constellation.
- Verbal Tic: He's fond of sticking a hard 'ssu' into his sentences, not always at the end.
- Wrecked Weapon: He brings his Berserga out of storage and has it refurbished, only for it to be almost immediately destroyed by Shirley. It's fixed (again) in time for the final Chapter.
- Voiced by: Masumi Asano
A rising star of the Crossbell Guardian Force holding the rank of Sergeant Major. She works with the SSS during the events of Zero and becomes a member herself in Ao. She acts as the cool big sister to the entire team as well as the driver of their new car.
- Ascended Extra: She go from a one-time party member in Zero to a full fledged party member in Ao.
- Big Sister Instinct: Despite being somewhat exasperated by Fran's constant adoration, Noel will always look out for her sister. Her overreaction to finding out that Fran had 'someone she loves' was priceless. Said person was of course Noel herself
- Car Fu : During the final chapter of Zero, she save the party from the CGF's armored cars by ramming them with her own.
- Conflicting Loyalty: More than anyone else involved in Dieter's plan, she suffers from this and really doesn't want to fight her True Companions. Which didn't prevent her from arresting you at the end of Chapter 4 though it does convince her to listen to you the next time you meet
- Cool Big Sis: In Fran's eyes, nobody could be cooler than Noel. She's also this to the team as a whole once she joins the SSS, despite being the same age as Lloyd and Elie (18).
- Cool Hat: Her beret, which is part of the standard CGF uniform.
- Designated Driver: Not because of the usual reasons but because she's the only member of the team who knows how to drive in the first place. When she returns to the CGF, the characters mention that she taught the rest of them how to drive offscreen.
- Dual Wielding: Her primary weapon is a pair of SMGs.
- Duel Boss: In the final chapter of Ao, she spotted the party infiltrating Tangram Gate and Lloyd face her in a duel. Following his win, she deflect back to the party.
- Drill Sergeant Nasty : When she teaches the party how to drive, Łazy describe her as such. Of course, Łazy's behaviour may have something to do with it.
- Evil Costume Switch: Justified, as it's not a personal costume, but the standard clothing of the new Crossbell Defense Force.
- Fangirl: Of Julia Schwarz
- Healing Shiv: Energy Missile, a nod to Tita's Vital Cannon.
- Insistent Terminology: Tries to make Fran address her more formally after joining the SSS, putting them in the position of interacting on a daily basis while on the job. It doesn't work.
- Kindhearted Cat Lover
- Limit Break: Zero has "Blast Storm" as her S-Craft, with Ao adding in "Armed Force."
- More Dakka: Both of her S-Crafts. Blast Storm has her unload her entire arsenal on the enemy in one go. Armed Force has her call in support from a couple of CGF armored cars, complete with a Macross Missile Massacre.
- Maybe Ever After : With Lloyd if you choose her for the last bonding event in Ao.
- Otaku: Of cars. Somewhat understandable since they're a very new invention and she's one of the first people to get to use one. Not that it prevents the rest of the team from remarking on her obsession. She also enjoys motorbike races.
- Sixth Ranger Traitor: Briefly during Dieter's plan to free Crossbell from all external influence, although in her case it's more Just Following Orders than any actual desire to betray her former True Companions
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: She's the tomboy to Fran's girly girl.
- Walking Armory: Noel is basically a grown up version of Tita and carries a lot more gun. Aside from her SMGs she has grenades, a missile launcher, an electromagnetic net launcher and an assault rifle. She unloads all of this on the enemy at once while performing Blast Storm.
- She even manages to fit a Stun Halberd into her arsenal somehow, though she doesn't use it that frequently.
- Voiced by: Junko Minagawa
Łazy (pronounced Wazy) is young leader of the Testaments, one of the two gangs fighting for dominance in Crossbell's Downtown area. He cultivates an air of coolness and mystery which wins him many admirers. He volunteers himself as a new member of the SSS in Ao.
- Ambiguous Gender: Łazy is sometimes mistaken for a girl by people who don't know him. His choice of a two-piece swimsuit which covers his upper torso, his rapid changing off-camera (twice) while the other males are occupied and his strange reaction to Lloyd commenting on the suit do not help quell suspicion that Łazy might actually be a girl trying to pass as a boy. Crossbell Archive even lists his gender as 'Male(?)'.
- Bare-Fisted Monk: Łazy leads the quasi-religious Testaments street gang and fights barehanded, with special emphasis on his footwork.
- Brilliant, but Lazy: Pun aside, Noel mentions he is quite good at learning if only he bother.
- Church Militant: He's really the Ninth Dominion of the Grals Ritter, known as the Blue Testament
- Death Dealer: Łazy's Trinity Card and several Combo Crafts. Seventh Shot uses pool balls rather than playing cards but fits the same general theme as well. He also has positive card tricks in the form of Draw Joker (mass AT Advance) and Weiss Card (major healing).
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: Several minor characters question if Łazy is really a boy, sometimes directly to his face. This amuses him. However, he never gets cross-dressed.
- The Gadfly: He enjoys messing with people just to see how they'll react, especially Lloyd and Randy. Also, his stated reason for signing up with the SSS in Ao is "It seemed like it would be entertaining."
- I Am Not Left-Handed: He had been holding back the entire time he fough Wald. He finally ended the long battle by Curb stomping Wald at the first chapter of Ao.
- Kung-Fu Wizard: He has several punch and kick moves, but has higher casting ability than average party members with suitable orbment line.Even his second S-Craft "Akashic Arm" deals magic damage.
- Lightning Bruiser: Magical variant: Łazy is both the fastest character in the games and the best caster. He's also got surprisingly good physical skills to back up his Arts (in effects if not damage).
- Limit Break: His S-Craft in Zero is "Deadly Heaven," with Ao throwing in "Akashic Arm."
- Mythology Gag: His fifth normal craft, Seventh Shot, happens to have the same name as Kevin's ultimate weapon in Sky the 3rd. Coincidentally, both of them are members of Gralsritter's Dominion.
- Power Fist: When he reveals he's a Dominion, Łazy brings out his Akashic Arm, a massive clawed gauntlet that wraps around his entire right arm, materialized from the Artifact that his Stigma absorbed.
- Spikes of Villainy: Inverted, Łazy's Akashic Arm is very spiky but he's definitely a good guy.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Green.
- Voiced by: Rie Kugimiya
A young girl that Lloyd and the others meet under unusual circumstances. Innocent and brimming with curiosity, she quickly becomes a part of their family but there is much more to her than meets the eye...
- Artificial Human: A homunculus created over the course of seven centuries, intended to be the vessel for the power of lost Demiourgos.
- Children Are Innocent: Even when they're the physical embodiment of enough divine power to make the world tremble.
- Child Prodigy: She is mentioned to be quite skilled and she has skipped several class at Sunday School. Her connection to Demiourgos probably explain it in the same way as Tio and Renne
- Constantly Curious: As a side effect of waking up with absolutely no memory, KeA is curious about everything she encounters.
- Girlish Pigtails: Her hair is tied into these in Cold Steel IV. Rean notes the change in her hair when he last saw her at Crossbell in Cold Steel III where she had straight hair.
- The Glomp: She delivers lots of these, with Lloyd complimenting her technique at multiple points. In fact, she got an OST Mini cover even though all the other covers involved characters showing off their S-Crafts. Hers read 'KeA Tackle'.
- She's also on the receiving end, especially when she dresses up in her penguin costume and the entire female half of the team glomps her, to her increasing discomfort.
- Happily Adopted: By the time of Cold Steel III, she is now known as KeA Bannings.
- MacGuffin Turned Human: She's more the vessel than the thing itself but the lost Sept-Terion that everyone wants? It's KeA. In the end, the MacGuffin is separated from the Girl.
- Meaningful Name: According to Crossbell Archive, her name means Key of A, as in both 'Key of Azure' and 'the key that is the beginning of everything'. She's the 'key' to the plans of the D∴G Cult, the conspirators and Ouroboros.
- Ms. Exposition: She does a lot of this in Cold Steel IV, some of them flying over most the older character's faces especially when she starts using Techno Babble.
- Mysterious Past: Aside from her name, she doesn't remember anything of her life before Lloyd found her and all attempts to find her family or trace her past come up empty. This is because she literally does not have a past capable of being traced.
- The Nicknamer: When she doesn't know someone's name or can't remember it, she'll make something up, Played for Laughs.
- The Plan: In Cold Steel IV, she joins the party members to Erebonia to help break out Rean alongside Renne and devices a way to find where he's at in just a day, rather than it taking several days. She also comes up with the plan to have the Arc-En-Ciel theater to host a show while Rean and a select few go and disable the machine that's emitting a beam from the Orchis Tower so Rean and his party can go to the next duel with the Divine Knights. And also calm down the citizens as well.
- Reality Warper: When using her Power of Zero, KeA essentially is Demiourgos, one of the seven sacred treasures of Eidos, with some of the powers of Time and Space thrown into the mix as well, making her incredibly powerful. The entire purpose of the Azure Zero Plan was for KeA to rewrite the entire history of Crossbell.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni : When visiting Michelam Wonderland, she is the Red to Sully's Blue.
- Shana Clone: Despite having the voice and the looks of one, complete with the twin tail hair in Cold Steel IV, she's an aversion to the trope as she's not a Tsundere.
- Speaks Fluent Animal: She's the other person capable of understanding Zeit.
- Supreme Chef
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: A pronounced shade of green, and it's referred to as such in universe when Lloyd describes her, no artistic license here. It's a hint that she's connected to Aidios, by way of being an artificial Sept-Terion. When her Power of Zero awakens, her hair changes to azure.
- Voiced by: Tsuyoshi Takeshita, Daisuke Hirakawa (drama CD), Osamu Ryuutani (Ao Evolution)
A Divine Wolf, a rare species of wolf that was thought to be legendary. He makes himself a part of the SSS after saving them from a group of mafia thugs. He is far more intelligent than a normal wolf and Tio and KeA both claim to be able to understand him.
- Canine Companion: To the SSS, by his own choice. They use him to help find people on occasion and Tio can summon him as one of her Crafts. According to her, Zeit decided to hang out with them because it looked like they couldn't keep out of trouble on their own.
- Deadpan Snarker: Yes, even the wolf snarks at the SSS. It's not entirely clear if his additional snarking at Lloyd in Ao's Intermission was something he said or an editorial added by Tio.
- Loophole Abuse: Like Ragnard he was bound by a contract to watch and not interfere. Once the original Demiourgos destroyed itself, he decided his contract no longer held, even over the 1200 year process of recreating the lost Treasure. He uses this to justify helping the SSS in Zero, then revealing his true form at the end of Ao.
- Noble Wolf: He's big, he's badass and he helps the SSS of his own free will.
- Papa Wolf: It comes with the territory of being a badass wolf. Don't threaten the SSS, especially not the little girls who can understand him.
- Sleepyhead: He spends most of his time dozing around the SSS Building, usually either on the roof or in the main room.
- Summon Magic: In an unusual example, he is the summon, as one of Tio's Crafts essentially calls him and turns him into a one-shot Support Character placed randomly into the current turn order. He will randomly either attack all enemies with Sky Fang or drop their DEF by 25% with Howl. Both moves will also inflict AT Delay.
- Talking Animal: He can communicate but only Tio and KeA can understand what he's saying, everyone else just hears growls. Played entirely straight when he reveals that he is a Sacred Beast much like Ragnard and can communicate in human speech just fine when he chooses to. Several characters have trouble getting used to this
- Voiced by: Unshou Ishizuka
The senior officer in charge of the Special Support Section, Sergei is a highly competent cop who mostly spends his time ignoring his subordinates and smoking.
- The Slacker: Sergei has a very hands-off management style, which is to say, he doesn't have his hands on the wheel at all.
- Voiced by: Kazuya Nakai
An investigator in the elite First Division, he and the SSS clash over jurisdiction and he is one of many police officers who dismiss the SSS as nothing more than a publicity stunt.
- The Ace : Of the First Division.
- Crutch Character : When he joins you, he is usually a few levels above your party, and in Ao's chapter 2, joins with a weapon which wouldn't be out of place in the Final Chapter. This is to reflect his experience.
- Coat Over the Shoulder: He sometimes poses like this in official artwork and the coat comes off dramatically when executing his S-Crafts.
- Defrosting Ice King: After seeing their determination and ability to get results, he warms up to the SSS and starts working with them instead of against them.
- Hand Cannon: He uses a military-grade Orbal Pistol, noted to be rather heavy but with incredible stopping power.
- La Résistance: Forms one with other CSPD members following the awakening of Azure Demiourgos, which is folded into the larger anti-Erebonian resistance after the end of the game.
- Last-Name Basis: He calls everyone in the SSS by their last names, in contrast to the much more informal First-Name Basis that most everyone else is on.
- Limit Break: His S-Craft in Zero is "Justice Hammer," with Ao throwing in "Justice Magnum."
- Not So Above It All : About shoes. He is quite picky about his leather shoes and have them tailor-mades, and when Lloyd comment that he mostly wears sneakers, he explains the advantages of his shoes compared to Lloyd.
- Out of Focus: He's really out of focus in Ao, being playable in the first dungeon and then only appearing sporadically after that until almost the final dungeon. He's also absent from both the Michelam Wonderland intermission and the special bond scenes at the end of the game.
- Shotguns Are Just Better: He carries a shotgun for use in one of his Crafts. It comes with the enviable bonus of lowering DEF by 50% and having a huge effect area.
- Shout-Out: He's able to perform Gawaine's Justice Hammer with nothing but his bare hands. The original user of that move needed a giant mace.
- Voiced by: Moyu Arishima
Noel's younger sister (and biggest fan), she works as a receptionist at CSPD Headquarters and coordinates the SSS' assignments.
- Bandage Babe: After being injured during Red Constellation's attack on Crossbell.
- Big Sister Worship: She adores her older sister. A lot.
- Heroic BSoD: Despite her adoration for Noel, she manages to avoid this when she finds herself on the opposide side of the conflict and is certain that if she just talks to Noel, everything will be okay. Not that she isn't a bit depressed but she gets over it remarkably quickly.
- Mission Control: She's responsible for supporting the SSS from headquarters and doesn't do field work. This eventually gives her the opportunity to support her beloved Noel directly.
- Bridge Bunny: When she joins you onboard the Merkabah.
- Playful Hacker: She has mild shades of this but she's overshadowed by several other characters who are much better at it.
- Shout-Out: Her beloved stuffed animal Ban Ban originated in the Gagharv Trilogy.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: She's the girly girl to Noel's tomboy.
- Voiced by: Katsuyuki Konishi
Lloyd's older brother, a police investigator who died in the line of duty three years ago.
- The Ace
- Always Someone Better: To Lloyd. Everything he does is inevitably going to be compared to his awesome brother. Later downplayed when Garcia note that despite all his strengths, he wasn't as strong as Lloyd think he was.
- Big Brother Worship: Inverted, Guy thinks that his brother is more talented that he will ever be.
- Battle in the Rain: He died in one, while facing Arios about the Azure-Zero Plan
- Childhood Friend Romance: With Cecile.
- Determinator: Garcia list this as his greatest strength and state that he never gave up, not against the general corruption of Crossbell nor against The Mafia.
- Driving Question: The cause of his death is one for Lloyd.
- Dual Tonfas: Zero Breaker.
- 100% Heroism Rating: How everyone in Crossbell sees him. Even some of the criminals.
- He Knows Too Much: Died because of this, he figures the involvment of the Crois family and The Plan before it even begins in public.
- In the Back: He was shot in the back by Ian.
- Leitmotif: Gazing at Your Back.
- Oblivious to Love: As Lloyd tells it, it took Guy forever to realize what Cecile felt for him.
- Voiced by: Naomi Shindo
The sub-commander (later promoted to commander) of the CGF.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Even after her superior officer booted Randy from the CGF, she still made the effort to recommend him to the Crossbell Police.
- Voiced by: Mai Nakahara
A warrant officer (later promoted to ensign) in the CGF.
- Ascended Extra: In Ao, she gets her own portrait, as well as a role in the main story instead of just sidequests.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: She, along with several other members of the CGF, were forcibly given Gnosis so that they could be controlled by the Cult and attack the Crossbell Police.
- Drill Sergeant Nasty: She has this reputation among her fellow CGF members.
- Hyper-Competent Sidekick: Due to the commander's antics, she is basically in charge of Bellguard Gate.
- It Was a Gift: She has a brooch that Randy gave to her as congratulations for her promotion. Her deep cherishing of it is one notable example of her real feelings towards him. Granted, she'll still probably claim it's nothing special.
- La Résistance: She and the rest of the Bellguard CGF members refused to go along with Dieter's plan near the end of Ao, which led to this. Naturally, she also joins the larger group that forms the resistance against Erebonian occupation following the conclusion of the game.
- Tsundere: Towards Randy, complete with frequent adding of "Stupidnote " to his name. She cares for him, but in part due to his general attitude, she hides her interest behind her general frustration with him.
- Voiced by: Yuu Asakawa
The top star of Crossbell's famous theatrical troupe. Her popularity extends to all the neighboring countries.
- Career-Ending Injury: Following her internal injuries, doctors says it's unlikely she will ever be able to take up the stage again. Thankfully averted in the end as we see in the Epilogue.
- Determinator: She believes in this and instills it in Rixia and Sully as well. She's so determined that she refuses to let the serious internal injuries she suffered in Ao keep her from at least attempting to return to the stage once she's healed enough to walk again. The post-timeskip illustrations show that she managed it.
- Dirty Old Woman: Several characters call her this. She enjoys teasing Rixia and Sully just a little too much. She also teases Lloyd in a mostly good-natured way.
- Diving Save : She save Sully from the chandelier this way.
- Hard-Drinking Party Girl: She enjoys wine when not working and her apartment is littered with empty bottles.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Leaps beneath a falling chandelier in order to push Sully out of the way. She survives but is badly injured.
- In-Series Nickname: Her fans call her the 'Princess of the Dancing Flames'.
- Kidnapped by the Call: She sees Arc en Ciel as the Adventure and herself as the Call. She's fond of 'scouting' new talent and forcibly recruited Rixia into the troupe. After seeing how good Sully's footwork was (while the latter was trying to steal from her no less) she decided to recruit her as well. Rixia allowed it because she needed a cover identity, then Becoming the Mask set in.
- Mama Bear: The theater is her life and the crew are her family, don't threaten either of them.
- Morality Pet: She's Rixia's. Unfortunately for her, Shirley noticed.
- Ms. Fanservice
- Voiced by: Rina Sato
A tourist from Calvard who was 'recruited' into Arc en Ciel by an enthusiastic Ilya. As Zero begins, she is preparing to make her debut appearance in the new production Golden Sun, Silver Moon.
- Anime Chinese Girl: Or the closest Zemurian equivalent at any rate. She lacks any of the language subtropes but being a trained assassin, she does know martial arts.
- Bare Your Midriff: Her casual clothes. Her stage costume takes it even further.
- Becoming the Mask: She started working as a dancer with Arc en Ciel as a cover but she came to prefer that life over her previous one. She planned to quit the troupe in Ao once the renewal show was finished and Sully could take her place, because she didn't want to drag everyone into her own troubles. In the end, she's able to retire as Yin and dedicate herself entirely to dancing.
- Berserk Button: Shirley deliberately pushes Rixia's because she wanted a good fight. The button in this case being 'shoot up Arc en Ciel's performance and severely injure Ilya, ruining everything good about my life in two minutes'. End result, one pissed off assassin.
- BFS: When she does a Sword Plant at the end of fights, the pommel comes up to her nose.
- Boobs of Steel: She's the strongest physical fighter among the playable females and she's also got the largest recorded chest in the Kiseki Series.
- Honorary True Companion: She is not a law enforcer, but she help the party so often, that she is considered to be this trope.
- Inadequate Inheritor: Arianrhod specifically notes that Rixia isn't nearly as good as the previous Yin. Having found meaning to her life outside of continuing the tradition, Rixia isn't really bothered by this. Her father having specifically told her to find her own path helps.
- Legacy Character: Rixia is the latest person to wear the mask and bear the name Yin, a role that has been passed down from assassin to chosen successor for over a century. She's also the last person to bear the name by her own choice.
- Limit Break: Her S-Craft is "Paraselene Dance," which she retains in Cold Steel II.
- Ms. Fanservice: Everyone who meets her comments on her figure, ranging from Tio being mildly envious to KeA innocently pointing out this trope. The fact that her casual clothes are fairly revealing and her stage costume is really revealing (deliberately) doesn't help.
- Previous Player-Character Cameo: See Lloyd's entry above.
- Redemption Demotion: Both masked as Yin and unmasked as Rixia, she loses her ability to create duplicates of herself when she's playable. This probably has more to do with control issues and the fact that it would break the difficulty than anything else. She still retains all her other abilities however, including her spammable instant death attack and the powerful self-buff which was also used in the previous trilogy by Cassius.
- Say My Name: Following Shirley's Falling Chandelier of Doom on Ilya
- Walking Spoiler
- World Tour: She was on one when Ilya 'recruited' her into Arc en Ciel.
- Voiced by: Yuu Kobayashi
A boyish-looking young girl from the slums who finds herself recruited into Arc en Ciel after impressing Ilya with her footwork.
- A-Cup Angst: Her lack of a chest actually worked well for her in the past but now that she's in a safe environment, she's feeling otherwise. Malnutrition growing up probably isn't helping.
- Big Eater: Well, more like Quick Eater: She can put away a full meal in less than thirty seconds. This is presumably a holdover from her past life on the streets.
- Bokukko: She takes it a step further than most and uses the masculine pronoun ore and a speech pattern to match... and still gets offended when people mistake her for a boy.
- Boyish Short Hair: All part of why people mistake her for a boy.
- Bridal Carry: Kurt ends up carrying her like this when she sprains her leg while they're trying to run away from Heiyue who are hired to hunt down Class VII and their supporters.
- Lady Looks Like a Dude: She has very short hair, no chest to speak of and spends most of her time in a shirt and shorts ensemble with a cap that makes her look even more like a boy. Considering her background, it was probably to her advantage to encourage people to not think of her as a girl.
- On the other hand, Lloyd is the only character who didn't pick up on Sully's gender when they first met; everyone else acted as it if was obvious.
- Parts Unknown: Sully's country of origin was initially unrevealed to the players, only for it to be mentioned in an optional scene in Ao where we learn that she's from North Ambria. And suddenly, everything makes sense...
- She Is All Grownup: Puberty has done wonders for her, judging from promotional materials for Cold Steel IV.
- Ship Tease: Ends up getting some shipping going on with Kurt in Cold Steel IV of all people.
- Street Urchin: What Sully has been for most of her life. Getting caught attempting to steal from Ilya was actually the best thing to ever happen to her.
- Tomboyish Baseball Cap: She wears one, which goes hand in hand with dressing like a boy and talking like a boy... but she'll be extremely offended if you mistake her for one.
- Voiced by: Yasuhiko Kawazu
The current head of Revache and Co., the group which controls Crossbell's criminal underworld.
- Voiced by: Hisao Egawa
Marconi's right-hand man, formerly a member of the Jaeger group Zephyr and known as the Killing Bear.
- Blood Knight: When his old mercenary blood gets going.
- The Dragon: To Marconi.
- Fighting from the Inside: Agaisnt Joachim's influence, which is why the fight against him when he's using Gnosis is an Anticlimax Boss.
- Good Old Fisticuffs
- Guest-Star Party Member: Very briefly in Ao.
- Honor Before Reason: Following his and Lloyd's escape, he takes on the entire State Guard in the Police Academy to rescue his underlings and Marconi.
- Hypercompetent Sidekick: By far the most competent man in Revache.
- Large and in Charge
- Limit Break: His S-Craft is "Killing Driver."
- Meteor Move: Killing Driver
- One-Man Army: He fought off the entire State Guard in the Police Academy bare-handed.
- Red Baron: The Killing Bear.
- Private Military Contractors: He used to be a member of the Jaeger group Zephyr.
- Undying Loyalty: To Revache.
- Wham Line: Delivers one to Randy, when he reveals to everyone that he recognizes the former Red Reaper.
- Voiced by: Daisuke Hirakawa
The young head of the Heiyue Trade Company, a thinly-veiled front for the Heiyue criminal syndicate from Calvard. He and his men have moved into Crossbell with the intent of wresting control of its lucrative underworld from Revache.
- Bare-Fisted Monk: The head of a Chinese-inspired criminal organization, of course he knows martial arts.
- The Cameo: Makes a small appearance in Cold Steel II, talking to both Lloyd and Rixia.
- Friendly Enemy: He tries to cultivate this situation with the SSS. He also cultivates this with Class VII in Cold Steel IV, first as an enemy because Lechter hired them and then ends up becoming allies when Heiyue found both McBurn and Victor, who has a mask that is brainwashing him to help the Osborne faction, at Crossbell.
- The Gadfly: He occasionally jerks the SSS around for his own amusement.
- Know When to Fold 'Em: Has no problem running from Sigmund and Red Constellation when the odds are against him.
- Pragmatic Villainy: Apart from the fact that the mafia don't harm civilians or else the Bracer Guild will intervene, he doesn't think twice about helping Lloyd and the Crossbellian Resistance because he knows that when the occupation is over, it will make him look like a hero and allow him to further his goals.
- Red Baron: He's referred to as "White Orchid Dragon".
- Voiced by: Kenji Akabane
Cao's secretary at the Heiyue Trade Company.
- The Bus Came Back: He makes a reappearance in Cold Steel III.
- Number Two: To Cao.
- The Stoic: He's generally very calm and speaks in a monotonous tone.
- Voiced by: Mai Aizawa (Cold Steel III)
The grandson of Heiyue's elder.
- Bratty Half-Pint: He's a pretty stuck-up kid.
- The Bus Came Back: He makes a reappearance in Cold Steel III alongside Lau.
- Male Gaze: In Cold Steel III, his first meeting with Alisa and Emma has him staring in awe at their well-endowed chests. He then drops his stuck-up attitude for a bit and order Lau to prepare their best tea and snacks, only to be downhearted when a confused Alisa and Emma tell him that they're kind of busy at the moment.
- Precocious Crush: On Elie, even by the time of Cold Steel III.
- Voiced by: Rina Sato
A legendary assassin from the East who wears a mask and concealing outfit, hired to help Heiyue crush the Revache crime syndicate.
For other tropes involving this character, see Rixia Mao
- BFS: Yatagarasu, a massive black sword.
- Full-Body Disguise: Yin's distinctive overlapping cloak and mask ensemble.
- Invisibility: Via Moonlight Butterfly.
- Limit Break: Has the S-Craft "Paraselene Dance"note .
- Meaningful Name: Yin (銀) can be translated as "Silver". Guess which element Yin's orbment slot is restricted to.
- Paper Talisman: Bakuraifu which explodes on contact and has a very high chance of inflicting Death.
- Precision-Guided Boomerang: Hougetsurin, which does this with a sword.
- Professional Killer
- Punch-Clock Villain: Works for Heiyue because they have a contract.
- Red Baron: Yin, the Legendary Assassin
- Variable-Length Chain: Many of them, combined with claws. Used in Ryuusouzan and Gengetsu no Mai.
- Voiced by: Sayaka Ohara
A nurse at St. Ursula and a surrogate big sister to Lloyd growing up. She and Guy were going to be married before the latter's death.
- The Alcoholic: Downplayed but she can drink quite a bit as revealed in Cold Steel IV.
- The Bus Came Back: Shows up in Cold Steel IV as one of the nurses taking care of the emperor who got shot in the heart by Ash during Cold Steel III.
- Buxom Is Better: Their size hasn't gone unnoticed by Randy. Or anybody else, for that matter. Even Elie felt A-Cup Angst that one time they were all at the beach.
- Cool Big Sister: To Lloyd.
- Famous Ancestor: According to Zeit, Cecile is a great-great-whatever granddaughter of the Saint Ursula for whom the hospital is named and greatly resembles her.
- Hospital Hottie: Works at Saint Ursula and is beautiful in her nurse outfit.
- Like Brother and Sister: She helped raise Lloyd and if Guy hadn't been killed, she would have been his sister-in-law in truth. Lloyd even uses the '-nee' suffix when talking to/about her and her friends tend to refer to Lloyd in turn as 'little brother'.
- The Matchmaker: She's made it her mission in life to find Lloyd a nice lover. That's the job of a big sister after all.
- The Nicknamer: Not really on purpose but because of her, Ilya and everyone at St. Ursula tends to call Lloyd Otouto-kun (a diminutive form of 'little brother').
- Voiced by: Hidehiko Kaneto
A professor at St. Ursula who consults with the SSS, at least when he's not skipping work to go fishing.
- Asshole Victim: After overdosing on Gnosis, his demonic body slowly starts falling apart until he dies. Given everything he did as a member of the D∴G Cult, it's very hard to feel even a shred of pity for him.
- Big Bad: Of Zero.
- Big Bad Wannabe: Of the Crossbell games overall. As vile as his actions are, when it comes to it he doesn't fare all too well against the SSS. He ends up dying without ever finding out the truth about his god, "D".
- Dark Is Evil: Post-Reveal, most of his attacks (including his S-Craft) become dark-based.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Considered the child prostitution ring that the Paradise lodge (Where Renne was sent to) to be repugnant, not to mention drawing unwanted attention to the organization. But that doesn't stop him from employing the results of their research.
- Expy: Of Professor Alba. Or rather Alba's true identity, Weissmann. Not only is he the Big Bad but also uses a staff much like him. He even uses the same Evil Eye technique! Joshua and Estelle actually find him even more repugnant.
- The Extremist Was Right: Posthumously, it's revealed that the cult actually was on the right track of finding out things from outside Zemuria, as revealed by McBurn to Class VII in Cold Steel IV.
- Heroes Gone Fishing: He will skip work when the fishing is good or when there's a special event going on.
- Hospital Hottie
- Info Dump: He provides several of these to the player as he tries to figure out what's up with the strange medicine the SSS has found, or whether KeA's amnesia might be treatable.
- Limit Break: His S-Craft in his human form is "Calamity Sphere."
- Mad Doctor: It's just a cover so he can continue his Gnosis research.
- One-Winged Angel: Transforms into a huge demonic creature after swallowing a whole bottle of Red Gnosis.
- The Sleepless: A side effect of his Gnosis research. It allows him to continue his research while also working full time at the hospital.
- Smug Snake: What he really is. In the fully-voiced Evo version, his voice takes on a rather condescending tone after The Reveal.
- Taking You with Me: After discovering just how unstable his Gnosis-induced form is, he decides to take SSS down along with the Brights. It's only thanks to Renne's interference that they manage to survive.
- Walking Spoiler
- Would Hurt a Child: While working for the D∴G Cult, his experiments ended up having a lasting effect on both Tio and Renne.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair
- Voiced by: Eiji Takemoto
The president of the IBC, an amiable man whose determination (and money) have transformed Crossbell into the pinnacle of modernization that it is today.
- Big Bad Wannabe: Ultimately, he is upstaged by Ian and Mariabell
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: His ancestors founded the D∴G Cult as part of a long-term plan to recreate Demiourgos. Everything he has done for Crossbell is measured against that goal.
- Climax Boss: Aion Type-α
- Et Tu, Brute?: He has this reaction upon finding out he was being used by Ouroboros, Ian, and even Mariabell, his own daughter.
- Evil Costume Switch: After he declares himself as president, he start wearing a white suit
- Fiction500: Owns and operates the largest bank in Zemuria, which in turn owns large chunks of prime real estate and created an internationally known resort and theme park. Financed the construction of the tallest building in Zemuria and a massive modernization program that made Crossbell the envy of the world. He later became the mayor of that same city. He also literally financed the creation of a "miracle" in Azure Demiourgos.
- Humongous Mecha : He fight the party in the Aion Type-α at the top of Orchis Tower
- Honest Corporate Executive: Who eventually becomes the mayor of Crossbell because of this.
- Honorary Uncle: Is like an uncle to Elie, who refers to him using the term.
- Rousing Speech: He gives an epic one in Ao when he declares the Crossbell will no longer huddle in the shadow of Erebonia and Calvard but will be a strong and truly independent state.
- Walking Spoiler: Much of his tropes concern the Ao lategame
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: All of his actions were ultimately for justice, justice that he believed could only be obtained by making Crossbell a strong, independent state, free from the pressure Erebonia and Calvard had been subjecting it to for years. He was also unaware of some of the D∴G Cult's more inhumane acts, leaving the details to Mariabell.
- White Sheep: Downplayed exemple, he said he don't care that much for the whole alchemy business, he see it more as a mean to an end in order to establish a free Crossbell state and as such, he leave most of the scheming to Mariabell.
- Wide-Eyed Idealist: A lot of characters find his goal of a free state to be admirable (the Man Behind the Man share them) but ultimately, his plans are considered too soft
- Voiced by: Rie Tanaka
Dieter's daughter and an executive at the IBC. She and Elie grew up together and are close friends.
- Ambiguously Gay: She's rather flirtatious with Elie after her face heel turn, but Sen IV specifically has her confessing to Elie that she loves her. The wording used is 愛してるよ、エリィ, which is an extreme declaration and unambiguously non-platonic.
- Affectionate Nickname: Oftentimes referred to as "Bell," usually by Elie or Dieter.
- Betrayal by Offspring: She throws her father under the bus without hesitation.
- Big Bad: As the leader of the conspirators, she is this to the Crossbell arc
- Big Bad Friend: To Elie.
- Big Damn Heroes: Dramatically saves the SSS at the end of Zero with Car Fu.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Is responsible for pretty much everything that happens over the course of the Crossbell arc. Ultimately, her only love is power for its own sake.
- Black Magician Girl: Ultimately revealed to be this.
- Break Them by Talking: When the party manages to defeat her, she used this on KeA to fuse her to the Tree and create the Azure Demiourgos
- Chronic Backstabbing Disorder: She betrays her father then Ian when she no longer needs them to finally side with Ouroboros.
- Dual Boss: She's this with Campanella in the final dungeon of Cold Steel IV.
- Flunky Boss: She'll summon lots of mooks in fight against her.
- "Get Back Here!" Boss: She spend much of her time during her boss fight teleporting your party members around the map.
- Graceful Loser: Following her defeat and KeA loss of power, she warns the party about the Tree disappearance and ask them to spare Dieter's life as he can still help them in rebuilding Crossbell then take off without further disturbance.
- Leitmotif: Delusion of a Thousand Years.
- Limit Break: Her S-Craft is "Crimson Zanba" in Ao and "Mercurius Zanba" in Cold Steel IV.
- Magic Staff: A sinister-looking one to boot!
- Mega Twintails: Combines with Princess Curls.
- Karma Houdini: Doesn't get any comeuppance for any of her actions as the Big Bad in Ao. Even separating KeA from the Sept-Terrion didn't really set her back that much and either she wins or loses, she's joining Ouroboros and won't have to deal with Erebonia invading Crossbell. Not to mention, she has the knowledge to recreate the entire thing anyway.
- Happens again at the end of the Erebonia arc. With most of her co-conspirators either dead, detained, or defected, Mariabell is one of the few agents (and the only Anguis involved in the Great Twilight Plan) to return to Ouroboros in one piece.
- Ojou: Daughter of the head of the largest bank in Zemuria and a capable officer in her own right, with the personality to match.
- Red Baron : "The Primordial Alchemist," upon becoming Ouroboros's new 3rd Anguis.
- Sensible Heroes, Skimpy Villains / Evil Costume Switch: Compare her outfit as an ally and as a villain. In Cold Steel IV, she somehow manages to combine the sensible and villian parts of the trope.
- Spotting the Thread: As Rean points out in a sidequest in Cold Steel IV, Bleublanc might be good at disguising himself but he's not that good at changing his gender at will.
- Teleport Spam: Her boss fight is this. She'll randomly teleport your character to position caracters are initially placed in a fight.
- Traitor Shot: In a NG+ run, following the quest where you retrieve her dolls, you learn she was the one to set up the quest with Bleublanc's help.
- Walking Spoiler: Who would have thought that this lady is the Big Bad of the Crossbell arc and manages to get away unscathed?
- We Will Meet Again: Before leaving for Ouroboros, she say this to the party. They do in Cold Steel IV though they still don't manage to settle things with her.
- Xanatos Gambit: She had one regarding KeA's awakening at the Black Auction, if everything was going as planned and she awakened in front of the crowd, she would propose to take care of her in behalf of IBC, if Heiyue tried to do something funny, Arios was ready to intervene. Ultimately, she awakened in front of the SSS, which was not expected, but still served her interests.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: She deals with Ian following his HeelFace Turn. Subverted later, when she reveal she just put him in a state of apparent death and he will live if treated.
- Voiced by: Toshiyuki Morikawa
The top-ranked Bracer of the Crossbell Branch of the Guild known as the "Divine Blade of Wind" and someone believed to be worthy of promotion to S-Rank. As the games begin, he is considered the hero of Crossbell, able to succeed wherever the ineffective police fail.
- The Atoner: Why he really looks after the SSS, his guilt over (indrectly) causing Guy's death. Of course, this only lasts until looking after Lloyd and completing the Azure-Zero Plan come into conflict...
- BFS: His katana is rather long, though not absurdly so.
- Blow You Away: It's right there in his title and his S-Craft Fuujin Reppanote
- Knight Templar Parent: Among other things, he also assisted in the Azure-Zero Project in order for his daughter to get her eyesight back.
- Guest-Star Party Member: In Ao. Before he becomes an antagonist, that is.
- Limit Break: For S-Crafts, he has "Aeolus's Fury" as both a party member. As a boss, he also gains "Termination Slash: Black Emperor."
- Master Swordsman: He is an Eight Leaves One Blade practitioner, specializing in the Second Form Hayate (Gale).
- Stealth Mentor: To Lloyd in particular and the rest of the SSS by extension. This reaches it's crux in the Azure Tree with a duel between him and Lloyd.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Assisted in the Azure-Zero Project in order to rewrite the reality, making Crossbell a better place in the process.
- Voiced by: Yasuhiro Takato
The receptionist at the Crossbell Branch of the Bracer Guild.
- Voiced by: Hunri Kimu
A Bracer originally from Remiferia.
- Bash Brothers: She and Rin are a team.
- Combat Medic: She has the credentials to be a doctor but she works as a Bracer.
- Cuteness Proximity: Towards Tio.
- Hero of Another Story
- Knife Nut: She uses surgical scalpels as weapons.
- White-Haired Pretty Girl: Randy ranks her as the second-most beautiful woman in Crossbell after Cecile.
- Voiced by: Ayaka Maeda
A Bracer originally from Calvard.
- Bare-Fisted Monk: A Taito practitioner. She also knows a bit about tonfa fighting and will teach Lloyd how to perform Raging Spin if you can beat her in a fight.
- Bash Brothers: She and Eolia are a team.
- Continuity Nod: She knows Kirika from when the two studied together.
- Hero of Another Story
- Voiced by: Akemi Kanda
- Voiced by: Mitsuki Saiga
- Voiced by: Tetsu Inada
The second in command of The Red Constellation, under his brother Baldur. A hulking man known as Ogre Rosso, he and his twin axes tower over the battlefield. He is hired for a job in Crossbell in Ao but has reasons of his own for accepting...
- An Axe to Grind: Sigmund fights with two enormous axes.
- Blood Knight: You can see where Shirley gets it from.
- The Brute: He would much rather be this or The Dragon instead of The Leader but his brother's death forced him into the latter role. He took the Crossbell job in part so he could have the opportunity to persuade Randy to take over the leadership of Red Constellation. He ultimately occupies this role in the hierarcy of antagonists in Ao.
- Death from Above: His S-Craft is called Crimson Fall, you get one guess what it involves.
- Establishing Character Moment: He is introduced watching an incoming train and after it passes, reveals that he was able to count exactly how many people were sitting in the passenger cars as it sped past. Then he leaves and after a short walk down the path your party sees the freshly slaughtered monsters that you were sent out to eliminate.
- Large and in Charge: A Sub-Commander of The Red Constellation, he's huge and all of it is muscle. And the 'Sub-' bit was only true until Baldur died, now he's the Commander.
- Limit Break: His S-Craft is "Crimson Fall."
- My Rules Are Not Your Rules: He has a craft called Ogre Cry which is a superpowered version of Randy's Warcry II. It buffs his STR and grants him 200 CP with no HP penalty like player characters have to deal with. To say this move is cheap would be an understatement. The fact that he always follows it up with a now-buffed Crimson Fall just makes it worse. Justified, as Sigmund has been on battlefield for way longer than Randy.
- Private Military Contractors: The Orlando family are the leaders of The Red Constellation, the most powerful and feared Jaegers in western Zemuria.
- Precision-Guided Boomerang: He can throw his axes like boomerangs.
- Red Baron: "Ogre Rosso."
- Time-Limit Boss: What makes him really frustrating: If you want all the bonus DP, you have to defeat him in under five minutes when you are severely underlevelled relative to him. On New Game Plus, this is easy because you'll have those levels but on a first playthrough, you won't. Good tactics will get you the bonus for taking him down to 50% health but to get all the way, you need a very specific strategy and a lot of advance preparation.
- World's Strongest Man: By virtue of the two undisputed strongest Jaegers ahead of him dying, Sigmund is certainly the strongest Jaeger in western Zemuria, if not the entire continent. Of course, he's a con man compared to the likes of Arianrhod.
- Voiced by: Ayana Taketatsu
Randy's cousin and a brigade leader of the Red Constellation. Her combat prowess is exceptional and she is feared throughout Western Zemuria as Bloody Shirley.
- A-Cup Angst: Angst probably isn't the best word to describe it, given that devil-ish smile, but Shirley's justification for grabbing Elie is jealousy of her large breasts.
- Ax-Crazy: How crazy is she? Her first thought at seeing the newly unveiled Orchis Tower is "Can we blow it up?". Also, her nickname is Bloody Shirley and her Crafts include such charming names as Bloody Cross, Blood Storm and Death Parade.
- Bare Your Midriff: Her regular outfits in the series have her exposing her stomach. Averted in her Thors I outfit.
- Bifurcated Weapon: Her weapon consists of a flame thrower, a machine gun, and a chainsaw all in one package. It's made by the Black Workshop as revealed in Cold Steel IV.
- Blood Knight: The youngest of a family of Blood Knights.
- The Bus Came Back: Reappears in Cold Steel III. Notably, she's become an Enforcer for Ouroboros whilst still being part of the Red Constellation, meaning that the society also has Garreth and a squad of the corps to use for their plans.
- Dark Action Girl: All action and all villain, though when she's not being Ax-Crazy she can be flirty, in a creepy, molester-y sort of way.
- Depraved Bisexual: Has a habit of playfully molesting whoever she finds attractive - or when she just feels like it - which includes females. Both Elie and Duvalie find themselves on the receiving end at some point.
- Establishing Character Moment: In the span of one short scene, Shirley flirts with Lloyd, gropes Elie, shows off how fast she can move and shows off a distinctly childish side. And hints that Red Constellation is on Osborne's payroll.
- Even Evil Has Standards: No, seriously. You know that some of the other villains have crossed the line when even she thinks that blowing up the Courageous was a dick move.
- Get a Hold of Yourself, Man!: Ends up encouraging Cedric after he ends up having a breakdown after finally realizing what he had just done.
- I Call It "Vera": She names her weapon "Testa-Rossa" after the calamity that struck in Erebonia. She ends up working alongside the one who pilots said machine.
- Jumped at the Call: Campanella notices that she has potential and offers her a position as a Legion candidate. She takes it.
- Kindhearted Cat Lover: Subverted. She likes cats but she has unusual methods for finding lost ones. This is retained in Cold Steel III.
- Knife Nut: For when a chainsaw rifle just isn't enough...
- Limit Break: Her S-Craft in "Death Parade" in Ao and "Disaster of Maha" in Cold Steel III and IV.
- Pet the Dog: She pays her respects to Loewe at Hamel, even though he died before she even joined Ouroboros.
- Professional Killer: She's a Jaeger, killing people for money is somewhere in the job description.
- Red Baron: There's her "Bloody Shirley" in her Red Constellation self. She ends up getting another one when she joins Ouroboros as Enforcer XVII, "Crimson War God."
- The Reveal: Her weapon, Testa-Rossa, was built by the Black Workshop.
- She's All Grown Up: Her appearance in◊ Cold Steel III.
- Ship Tease: With Cedric of all people in Cold Steel IV.
- Stripperiffic: Her outfit consists of extremely short form-fitting shorts, a bra and thigh-high boots.
- Skinship Grope: Aside from groping Elie, she also gropes Duvalie in Cold Steel III. In Cold Steel IV, she wishes she could also grope Estelle.
- Swiss Army Weapon: Her Testarossa, a 'Blade Rifle' combining an assault rifle, a flamethrower and a chainsaw.
- Traintop Battle: Engages in one with Fie on top of the Derfflinger in Cold Steel III.
- Who Wears Short Shorts?: She does!
- Voiced by: Yusei Oda
A sub-commander of the Red Constellation known as the Flash Strike.
- Voiced by: Kanae Ito
- Voiced by: Mitsuaki Madono
- Early-Bird Cameo: Namedropped as early as the Second Chapter, and had spoken lines in The 3rd's Star Door 14.
- For Science!: His motivation for doing just about anything is to satisfy his scientific curiosity.
- Gonk: A creepy-looking man with Scary Shiny Glasses, a bowl-cut and a hunched back. His hair colour and wrinkly face make his age quite cryptic.
Stahlritter (Duvalie, Ines, Ennea)
- Voiced by: Naomi Oozora (Duvalie), Mami Douno (Ines), Akina Kanazawa (Ennea)
- Voiced by: Yasuhiko Tokuyama
Head meister of the Rosenberg Studios, one of the Thirteen Factories branches.
Aion (Types α, β, and γ)
The Goldius-class archaisms created by the Thirteen Factories, serving as successors to Pater Mater.
- Fragile Speedster: Type-β is the fastest of the Aions, but its armor is also the thinnest.
- Humongous Mecha: Ranging from around 16-20 meters, these robots are noticeably bigger than most of the others seen in the Kiseki Series.
- Mighty Glacier: Type-γ is the largest of the Aions, and has notable power and defense, but doesn't seem to have much in the way of speed.
- Palette Swap In Cold Steel IV, the Salt Pillars have different colored variants of each successor Aion to serve as bosses. They include a black Type-γ II (for Estelle, Joshua, Agate, Tita, and Renne), a gold Type-β II (for Duvalie, Ennea, Innes, Xeno, and Leonidas), and a red Type-α II (for Aurelia, Victor, Vita, and Toval).
- Sole Survivor: Type-α is the only one of the original Aions to survive Ao.
- Likewise in Cold Steel IV, while Valimar and Ordine defeat Type-γ II and Type-β II with Union Slash: Deadly Domination, Type-α II is never dealt with.
- Super Prototype: By the time of Cold Steel III, Novartis has made successor machines to all 3 of them, and they all serve as bosses for Rean in Valimar. However, while strong, without the Sept-Terion to empower them, he is able to defeat them with the help of Kurt (for Type-γ II), Juna (for Type-β II), and Ash and Musse (for Type-α II).
- The Unfought: The original Types β and γ. Type-β is destroyed by Kevin using his Stigma, whilst Type-γ was taken out alongside Pater Mater. Averted by Type-α, as Dieter pilots it against you in a boss fight. Incidentally, it's the only one that lives to fight another day.
- Voiced by: Yasunori Masutani
Mayor of Crossbell and Elie's grandfather.
- Voiced by: Yuugo Takahashi
First Secretary of Mayor MacDowell.
- Big Bad Wannabe: Even more so than Joachim, as Ernest is the first boss in Ao. Even though he accesses the same form Joachim had as the Final Boss of Zero, he gets taken out by Lloyd and Noel by themselves.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Originally seemed like the affable aide to the mayor, he later tries to assassinate his boss, and is later revealed to be a member of the D∴G Cult.
- Limit Break: His S-Craft, both in his human and initial demon form, is "Darkness Dance."
- Warmup Boss: He's the first boss of Ao.
- Voiced by: Takahiro Fujimoto
A lawyer at the Grimwood Law Office.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: The nice lawyer who would often give you advice? Yeah, he's the guy who killed Lloyd's brother Guy, and is one of ringmasters of the games.
- Crusading Widower : His wife and child were killed in a airship accident 15 years ago. When he learned it was because of the Intelligence Warfare between Erebonia and Calvard, he didn't take it well
- Hero Killer: A flashback version, but he is the one who kills Crossbell's greatest policeman with nothing but a gunshot.
- Non-Action Big Bad: Ian is just a lawyer, and he leaves the fighting to Arios or the Red Constellation
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: He masterminded the Azure-Zero Plan to make Crossbell a true country, free from the influence of Erebonia and Calvard
- Voiced by: Eiji Takemoto
A Speaker for the Crossbell government.
- Blackmail: The D∴G Cult has proof that he used to frequent the Paradise Lodge's child brothel.
- Corrupt Bureaucrat: Closely tied to Revache. This allowed the D∴G Cult to get an in with them as well.
- Voiced by: Tsuyoshi Takeshita, Osamu Ryuutani (Ao Evolution)
Leader of the Saber Vipers, the other street gang from Downtown. He and his followers believe in the value of strength above all else and he sees Łazy as his greatest rival.
- Alliterative Name: Wald Wales.
- BFS: As a demon, his sword grows to an incredible size to match his new body.
- Boisterous Bruiser
- Church Militant: Two years after Ao's event, it's said that he joins Gralsritter under Lazy.
- Deal with the Devil: Realizing that Łazy is stronger than he is and always was, Wald arranges to receive Gnosis so he can become stronger. This eventually turns him into a demonic brute.
- Improbable Weapon User: A wooden sword wrapped with a length of chain.
- Limit Break: His S-Craft as a demon in Ao is "Final Mad Crush."
- Rival Turned Evil: To Wazy. See Deal with the Devil above.
- Say My Name: Complete with Skyward Scream after Łazy effortlessly defeated him and after he realized that Łazy had been holding back on every fight with him.
- Voiced by: Hitomi Nabatame
A reporter for the Crossbell News Service, always on the lookout for a sensational story. Her pen may decide the fate of the Special Support Section.
- Going for the Big Scoop: Demons, zombie apocalypse, Jaegers blowing up your city? None of these will stop Grace and her camera.
- Jerkass: At first, she tends to frame her stories to put the SSS in the worst possible light. Eventually, she starts cheering for them and persuading others to do the same.
- Voice of the Resistance: Helps arrange for Mayor MacDowell's address denouncing Dieter's plot, then serves as the voice for the anti-Erebonian resistance at the end of the game.
- Voiced by: Shiori Hamamoto
A thirteen year old self-proclaimed genius hacker formerly associated with the Epstein Foundation who is almost as good as he thinks he is.
- The Bus Came Back: He's one of the first characters who make an appearance in Cold Steel IV.
- Geek Physiques: On the 'skinny but unfit' side as he doesn't get out a lot. When he has trouble keeping up with the SSS during an investigation, Lloyd suggests he take up exercise but is rebuffed.
- Hacker Cave: He has one located in the Geofront.
- Hikikomori: At least in part because he doesn't want to run into anyone from the Foundation who might be upset with the circumstances of his departure.
- Playful Hacker: And one who discovers all kinds of vital information.
- Teen Genius
- Voice with an Internet Connection
- Voiced by: Yoshinori Ishikawa (Zero Evolution), Takahiro Fujimoto (Ao Evolution)
The second in command of the Testaments gang.
- Ambiguously Brown
- Ascended Extra: He gets a face portrait in Ao and an expanded role.
- Bald of Awesome
- The Bartender: When he's not doing anything else, he can usually be found mixing cocktails at Trinity.
- Large and in Charge: He towers over the other Testaments and when he speaks, they listen.
- The Paladin: He's a Knight of the Gralsritter supporting Łazy
- Voiced by: Fumiko Inoue
Arios' blind daughter, who becomes friends with the SSS and KeA.
- Voiced by: Kumiko Nishihara
Klaudia von Auslese
- Voiced by: Yuko Minaguchi
- Voiced by: Yuka Komatsu
Olivert Reise Arnor
- Voiced by: Takehito Koyasu
- Voiced by: Hiroshi Isobe
- Voiced by: Hirohiko Kakegawa
President of the Republic of Calvard.
- Voiced by: Chizu Yonemoto
- Voiced by: Joji Nakata
- Voiced by: Masakazu Morita
- Voiced by: Ryohei Nakao
- Voiced by: Houko Kuwashima
The Sept-Terion of Mirage that blessed the land of that would later become Crossbell hundreds of years ago. It no longer exists, but the knowledge to recreate it does.
- Driven to Suicide: It erased itself from existence long ago when it couldn't handle the negative feelings of the people it watched over.
- Final Boss: Azure Demiourgos is this for Ao.
- One-Hit Kill : If you take too long to beat it, it will use Spacetime Collapse. And that's it, game over. It's not just a super powerful attack you can block like Grand Cross. If it is used, you restart the fight.
- Physical God: It's a sentient Sept-Terrion so it's kind of a given. As Azure Demiourgos, it is even more powerful with added powers over Time and Space.
- Reality Warper
- Sequential Boss: Once Azure Demiourgos's first form is defeated, it turns back time a little to regain some HP. Once that has been depleted, it turns into its final form.
- Superior Successor: Azure Demiourgos has all the powers of Mirage that the original possessed, with some powers from Time and Space thrown in the mix.
- Time Master: The main reason the Big Bad Duumvirate want the thing.
- Worf Had the Flu: Implied. Before it use Spacetime Collapse, it seem to do something with his core (where KeA is) before wiping you out. It probably mean KeA was weakening it the whole time and it finally manage to stop her.