These are the main and secondary characters who appear in the Yumina The Ethereal.
Beware of SPOILERS, particularly after the "Supporting Characters" section.
The hero. A young man doomed to clean up Yumina's messes. After joining the Debate Club together with Yumina, he finds himself the club's errand boy - scouting opponents, guarding the candidate, and generally doing whatever Kirara tells him to. Ayumu has few memories of childhood and no knowledge of his parents. He was raised by a man named Akashima Takehito, who subjected Ayumu to a harsh regimen of martial arts and survival training. One day, Takehito revealed the purpose of Ayumu's training. He was to enter Jinbu Academy and protect Midorishita Yumina, a girl whom Takehito claimed would one day save the world. Little did Ayumu know that he would first have to save Yumina from her own bad grades. His elemental color is red.
- The Ageless: Voluntarily turns into one in Kirara's route due to traveling between dimensions with her.
- Brilliant, but Lazy: He admits that he does the bare minimum of work to pass his classes, and several characters comment that if he actually applied himself, he would excel in school. He's even fluent in conversational English, making him better at it than the school's top student, Nayuta.
- Cannot Spit It Out: Subverted. In Yumina's route, at first he seems like this, but a sentence later he says it and is completely comfortable telling her after his initial declaration.Ayumu: I think you get the idea...don't make me say it explicitly.Yumina: D-don't be stupid! You're supposed to say that sort of thing clearly...
- Chick Magnet: He's pretty popular. Apart from the heroines (though only one at a time except maybe Yumina) there are also the girls from the first four chapters, the club leader of the Arabian Dance club and background girls saying he looks pretty cool during his introduction to the school and planning to hit on him.
- Declaration of Protection
- Energy Absorption: This is Ayumu's Ethereal ability, and it's suggested that Rishane designed him to have it.
- Fiery Redhead: Is normally a pretty calm guy, but can have quite a temper if provoked.
- Flawed Prototype: What Rishane considers him in Yumina's route.
- Happily Adopted: Though the "happily" part is debatable (Ayumu constantly recalls how harsh his father's training was and how much he hated it as a child), Ayumu comes to appreciate or at least understand Takehito's method of child-rearing.
- The Hero
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: When he helps Nayuta with an English assignment, he tries to brush off her surprised compliment by saying he's only okay at English, which she dismisses since he was able to identify the script of a whole movie from a brief glance at a few lines.
- Human Aliens: What he is in Yumina's route.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: In Yumina's route, Ayumu has forgotten that he is originally from Algoda. He has the occasional Flashback, but has no idea what they mean. It's also suggested in Ai's route, but never confirmed.
- Left for Dead: In Yumina's route, Rishane disposed of the young Ayumu as a "failed experiment" and left him to die out in the Algodan wilderness.
- Like an Old Married Couple: His frequent arguments with Yumina come across as this.
- Mistaken for Pedophile: Sometimes happens when he's around Kirara, due to her small size. He even lampshades it at a couple of points.Ayumu: Considering Kirara's outward appearance, this looks like some serious crime, but that can't be helped.
- Morality Chain: For Kirara in her route.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: In Yumina's route, his rage caused him to disregard Kirara's warning not to kill the Scout variety of Extra-Dimensionals that invaded the Zelerm but to simply incapacitate them. Turns out then when a Scout E-D is killed, it sends out a signal to other E-Ds so they will converge on and attack whatever destroyed the Scout. Oops.
- Ordinary High-School Student: Keeping with the trope, it's revealed that he's anything but ordinary.
- Parental Abandonment: It is never revealed who his birth parents are, though in Yumina's route it's implied that he was either a failed creation of Rishane or had a family on Algoda that was killed by Rishane.
- Given the flashback and how Rishane refers to them as his clan it was probably the latter although not all of them were necessarily killed by Rishane.
- Supporting Protagonist: Yumina is the focus of the story, as you could probably guess from the title. Ayumu is mostly the guy that gets her ready for that.
- Training from Hell: Ayumu's father, Takehito, put him through this as a child.
- Turn Coat: In Forever Dreams Chapter 1 after Yumina and Nayuta tie in the initial debate battle, Nayuta offers a rematch instead of winning by default in exchange for Ayumu joining the student council. Yumina agrees immediately. Interesting in that Yumina claims he betrayed them for working with Nayuta.
- Unstoppable Rage: Flies into this when an Extra-Dimensional wounds Yumina in her route, and after Zieda is killed by Extra-Dimensionals in Kirara's route.
The main heroine. Due to a failed test and a history of bad grades, she will have to repeat the second year unless she can become student council president, a position that comes with the power to change any school rule. Led by Kurokawa Kirara, she charges towards the one bright spot in a dark and dismal future. Yumina is a friendly and cheerful girl with stunning good looks. She does have more than a few screws loose, however, and completely fails to live up to her ideals of modesty, competence, and efficiency. In her quest to become student council president, she will face many passionate rivals and harsh challenges. How will the experience change her? Will she ever make the third year? Her elemental color is green.
- All-Loving Hero: Yumina starts out self-centered, but as she advances through the Student Council War, she becomes determined to use her power as Student Council President for all the people who have supported her. In her route, she becomes a more complete version of the trope, wanting to emulate her mother... And then she rejects the trope after her Heroic RRoD and Ayumu's subsequent Heroic Sacrifice, declaring that, first and foremost, she's decided to live and be happy.
- Book Dumb: Not only is she book dumb, she lacks common sense and has trouble understanding even non-complex issues, sending her more into Ditz territory.
- The Chick: She often encourages others to keep their spirits up and not give up hope.
- The Ditz: A textbook example.
- First Girl Wins: In the Graduation ending and her route. The Conclusion Route follows from the Yumina route, making them the Official Couple.
- Girls Love Stuffed Animals: Her room aboard the Zelerm is full of them.
- Hollywood Tone-Deaf: At first. Just listen to the first song she learns, I'm Not Cinderella. Amusingly, when used during combat, this lowers both the enemy AND the party's stats.In-Game Description: This song is Yumina's first step on the road to idolhood. She still hasn't overcome her embarrassment and is often scolded for being timid, but is this the way to fight back?
- Human Mom, Non-Human Dad
- Idiot Hair: Which also functions as Expressive Hair in her sprites.
- Idiot Hero
- Idol Singer: Turns into one later in the story, though she is quite dreadful at singing in the beginning.
- Leitmotif: Several, as she is an Idol Singer. See here for some of the songs she sings.
- Like an Old Married Couple: Her frequent arguments with Ayumu come across as this.
- Magic Staff: It has a microphone on the end, too.
- No Sense of Direction: In Ai's route, after being summoned to the Zelerm's bridge for the first time, she ends up in the hangar.
- Moment Killer: Like Ai, it's generally Played for Laughs.
- Paper Fan of Doom: Likes to whack Ayumu with one occasionally.
- Parental Abandonment: While it's established early in the story that Yumina grew up in an orphanage, it isn't revealed until much later in her route that her father, Tuqueto, put her there and raised Ayumu instead under the alias of Takehito Akashima. Yumina doesn't learn the truth about her mother until later as well.
- Power-Strain Blackout: Yumina is the only main character whose Ethereal abilities carry this drawback. Progresses to Heroic RRoD in her route.
- Rescued from the Underworld: Ayumu rescues her in the dream world in her route, and she does the same for him when he gets trapped.
- Sailor Fuku
- "Shut Up" Kiss: Gives one to Ayumu in her route instead of saying "I love you." Gives another one to him when they return to Jinbu Academy in her ending.
- Super Gullible: She's largely brainless, leaving her vulnerable to bad lies or getting swept up in the mood or deceived by flattery.
- Talking in Your Sleep: In Forever Dreams, because Ayumu isn't around when Tsukuyo passes out from a debate battle Kirara makes Yumina help her instead, after when she wakes up the debate club lets her know about this leading to a Funny Moment.Tomori: "Yumina, no matter what happens I'll always be your friend. b, but I don't think I can ever be more than a friend so."Yumina: "Even Tomori's saying something like that!? Tsukuyo! Tell them what you think of me and clear up this misunderstanding!"Tsukuyo: "About you? But I like you note "Tomori: "I knew it!!"Yumina: "Nooooooooooo!!"
- Unwitting Pawn: In her path, Yumina's singing led Ethereals to the Celestial City on Algoda, where Rishane assimilated them into the Ether Frame.
- Wing Ding Eyes
The mastermind behind Yumina's candidacy. She clearly has her own reasons for supporting Yumina, but she's not about to reveal them. Her diminutive figure belies a powerful ego, and she often uses cunning ploys and underhanded tricks to lead the Debate Club to victory. No one can tell what she's really thinking at any given moment, but she is often seen wearing a dark and dangerous smile. While few people would call themselves her friend, she does seem to have a vast network of contacts throughout the academy, a fact which only adds to the mystery surrounding this strange girl. Her elemental color is black.
- A-Cup Angst: Not as much as other examples of this trope, but it does come up occasionally.
- Battle Couple: With Ayumu in her route.
- Berserk Button: Do not mention how small she is - either in height or in chest size.In-Game Description: It is best not to comment on her size within earshot.
- Color-Coded for Your Convenience: Black clothes, black hair, black elemental powers.
- Field Promotion: Temporarily named captain of the Zelerm after Izel is injured during combat in her route.
- Hidden Depths: Late in Yumina's route, it is revealed that she is also a skilled songwriter, providing Yumina with several songs she had written specifically for her.
- Jack-of-All-Stats: Ostensibly the Logic Attack and Logic Defense character, but this isn't actually the case. All other characters have one higher offensive and defensive stat, but Kirara grows them evenly. While other characters get mixed offensive and defensive abilities that attack or defend against both Logic and Spirit, Kirara gets more of them than anyone else and gets them earlier than anyone else. Additionally, all of hers are 50/50 splits, including all three of her route-specific ultimate attacks.
- Mad Scientist: Has shades of this, like when she "reverse brainwashes" an opponent's followers and her invention allowing the party to enter the Virtual Reality world.
- Manipulative Bitch: She even has a skill called "Sincere Brainwashing".
- My Name Is Inigo Montoya: She wants revenge on Galeorn for ruining Yumika's reputation in her route.
- Nice Hat: She wears one when she is temporarily promoted to Captain of the Zelerm in her route.
- Older Than They Look: Despite being a third-year student, Kirara is quite small for her age, and mentioning this is a sure way for that person to get hurt. She is in fact at least 20 years older than Ayumu, Yumina and the rest of her schoolmates due to her traveling between dimensions and becoming The Ageless. Physically, she's still a first year student.
- Parasol of Pain: When you can channel superpowers through an item, it probably doesn't matter much what it actually is. She's seen deflecting bullets with the thing when in firefights.
- Revenge Before Reason: In her route, she is consumed by her hatred of Galeorn for dirtying Yumika's name, and tries to kill him whenever she gets a chance. She states that only Ayumu is able to hold her back.
- Sadist: Lampshaded by her in-game description:She drives Yumina quite hard, and actually seems to pride herself on her sadistic personality.
- Stocking Filler: As Ayumu finds out...quite literally.
- Visible Sigh: Often does this when she is exasperated, mostly at Yumina.
Ai Okitsu (Arute Gumura Rinthe)
An eccentric girl who transfers to Jinbu Academy shortly after the Election War begins. Despite her spotless record and glowing letters of recommendation, she decides to join the underdogs of the Debate Club. While glad of the boost to their strength, the other members wonder at her motives. She does seem to be interested in a certain someone... She claims to be an average girl born and raised in the heartland of Japan, but it is obvious from the things she says and does that there's something very off about this girl. Loyal to her desires, Ai always eats and plays to the fullest. When something grabs her interest, rest assured that she will pursue it no matter what stands in her way, often dragging other people (usually Ayumu) along for the ride. In contrast to her doll-like appearance, she shows incredible athletic ability. Her elemental color is blue.
- Big Eater: So much so that in Forever Dreams, she eats the student council into a 9 million yen debt.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Acts like this while at Jinbu Academy, but the truth is more complex.
- Comedic Sociopathy
- Curtains Match the Window: Her eyes are more indigo-colored, but resemble her hair.
- Double Entendre: Quite adept at this.
- Gasp!: Combined with Comical Overreacting - there's only one time in the game it's a completely serious gasp.
- Guns Akimbo: When using her "Brandish" move.
- Hands-On Approach: When teaching Ayumu how to effectively use a ray gun.
- Hero-Worshipper: Displays this towards her sister Deele and Karales - at least until she finds out the truth about the latter.
- Hidden Depths: As revealed later in Yumina's route, Ai can also sing to enhance the power of the Radiant Frames, though not at the level of Yumina or Deele.
- Idiot Hair
- Luke, I Am Your Father: Deliberately averted. The fact that she and Deele are Karales' daughters is never revealed or discussed until the Conclusion route, when it's mentioned off-handedly past any point it could be relevant.
- Moment Killer: Has a penchant for doing this, though it's mostly Played for Laughs.
- Mood Ring Eyes: Her eyes turn bright red when surprised or embarrassed. Ayumu notices, but chooses not to think about it.
- Obsessed with Food
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Though it's not the "evil" kind - it usually happens when she is excited, startled, or displaying some other strong emotion.
- Sailor Fuku
- Shipper on Deck: She actively encourages the relationship if you hook up with the other two girls, sometimes leading to hilarious mood killing moments. She even ships herself with Ayumu several times early in her route.
- True Love's Kiss: Receives one from Ayumu to regain consciousness after being forced into the Ether Frame by Rishane.
- Women Are Wiser: Invokes this in Yumina's route when discussing with the rest of the Zelerm crew how to hold off the Extra-Dimensionals.Ai: No need for concern. I'm not going to attack them or anything. That's something a man would come up with.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair
Jinbu Academy Students
A shy, mild-mannered girl who loves to read books and take care of the school library. At Jinbu Academy, where athletics are king, culture clubs like the Library Committee occupy the bottom of the social pecking order. Even so, Maino works hard to make the voices of the minority heard across campus. She recognizes her lack of self-esteem and hopes to become more confident through the campaign. Her goal is an academy where all students are equal.
- Brainy Brunette
- Cute Bookworm
- Covert Pervert: In Forever Dreams she is very... excited when Ayumu shows up to heal her looking a few years younger than her.
- Eye Beams: She has one attack where she does this.
- Intelligence Equals Isolation: Though she has supporters in the library committee, it appears that she doesn't have many friends, if any.
- Leitmotif: "Maino Stands Up"
- Nice Hat
- Panty Shot: When Ayumu attemps to help her do a backflip on the exercise bar.
- Sailor Fuku
- Shrinking Violet: A classic example.
- Spell Book
- Tareme Eyes: Befitting her status as a Moe.
- Their First Time: In a bit of a diversion from your standard Visual Novel, Maino, not one of the heroines, is the girl Ayumu loses his virginity to (if you choose to), and it happens fairly early in the game.
One of Yumina's rival candidates, and the very person whose vote of no confidence kicked off this Election War. The leader of the Sports Clubs Alliance, Rei is a charismatic young man whose Casanova charm and dashing good looks have earned him the admiration of a large segment of the academy's female population. His fan club's membership is in the triple digits. Rei is not only enormously popular, he is also a first-rate tennis player who has led his team twice to victory in the national championships. Although he is considered one of the strongest contenders for student council president, some worry that he seems awfully fond of his little sister...
- Big Brother Instinct: Ayumu points out that Rei takes it to the level of Knight Templar Big Brother and senses Rei's motives are ultimately noble, but misguided.
- Break the Haughty
- BrotherSister Incest: Though it's much more on Rei's part than Tomori's.
- The Casanova: He styles himself as one, and indeed, has a large female fanclub. Yet he only has eyes for Tomori...
- Evil Laugh
- Heroic BSoD: Or maybe Villainous BSoD, depending on how you perceive him at this point in the story. Anyways, he has one when Nayuta calls him a "sister-lover" (multiple times).
- Improbable Weapon User: A tennis racket and tennis balls.
- Jerkass: Up. To. Eleven. He mellows out considerably after you beat him, though, and even gives Ayumu a useful tip about Nayuta.
- Knight Templar Big Brother: Oh yes.
- Large Ham
- Leitmotif: "Explosion"
- My Sister Is Off-Limits!
- Social Darwinist: Until he's beaten, anyways.
A second-year student, Youko is Sakaue Tsukuyo's twin sister and the vice-chair of the Shrine Maiden Committee. Her personality is the exact opposite of her sister's, forceful and outgoing. Has strong beliefs and is willing to use others to achieve her goals. It was Youko who proposed the formation of the Shrine Maiden Committee, and her drive that made it possible. While Tsukuyo remains secluded in the commitee's shrine, Youko works tirelessly to expand the committee's influence over the student body - though to what purpose, no one knows.
- Bitch Alert: Though like Rei, she mellows out after you beat her.
- Curtains Match the Window
- Leitmotif: "Double Dragon Shrine Maiden"
- Parental Abandonment: Her parents were jailed for being religious con artists and swindling their followers.
- Parental Substitute: She seems to function as this towards Tsukuyo, being the older twin.
- Polar Opposite Twins: With Tsukuyo.
- SexFace Turn: She is much more willing to help Ayumu and company after her sexual encounter with him.
- Tsundere: Type A.
- Twin Threesome Fantasy
- The Unfettered: Youko is determined to pass her parents by any means necessary, given the circumstances of their Parental Abandonment.
A second-year student at Jinbu Academy, Tsukuyo is the quiet and mysterious chairwoman of the Shrine Maiden Committee. Wears traditional shrine maiden clothing instead of the standard issue academy uniform. The Shrine Maiden Committee is a newly-formed organization that administers all events of religious significance inside the academy, and Tsukuyo became its first chairwoman when she was only in her first year. She is rarely seen out in public, instead spending most of her time in the committee's shrine. Has many zealous worshippers even outside the committee. They claim to be drawn to some mystical power she is said to possess.
- Curtains Match the Window
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: In FD she agrees to assist the student council immediately after Ayumu asks because of this... until Kirara convinces her that Ayumu would only suffer if the student council won.
- Leitmotif: "Double Dragon Shrine Maiden"
- Parental Abandonment: Her parents were jailed for being religious con artists and swindling their followers.
- Polar Opposite Twins: With Youko.
- The Quiet One: Not a Shrinking Violet to the degree of Maino, but definitely quiet and reticent. At least until her H-scene...
- Seers: Her ethereal ability lets her know if something will happen a little in advance. Youko uses her ability to gain followers.
- Twin Threesome Fantasy
- Yamato Nadeshiko
The current student council president, Nayuta practically embodies the word "extraordinary", far outstripping the rest of the student body in both beauty and brains. Her regal, some would say imperious demeanor seems only natural coming from someone so gifted. This high-handedness has earned her the passionate support of those with certain... specialized tastes. She declared an Election War and brought down the previous Student Council President when she was still only in her first year. Ever since, she has reigned unchallenged. The quintessential autocrat, she believes that the masses cannot be trusted with freedom and must be ruled by the firm hand of a capable leader.
- A-Cup Angst: She's actually rather flat-chested, something she considers her sole flaw and obsesses over.
- Beauty, Brains, and Brawn: She possesses all three.
- Blatant Lies: When Ayumu askes her if she knows how to masturbate, she gets flustered, then says she only knows the "Western" variant of the act and he will have to teach her the "Eastern" version of it.
- Break Them by Talking: Her specialty, as demonstrated by her verbal takedown of Rei.
- Covert Pervert: Seems to have a thing for exhibitionism note , as revealed during her H-scene.
- Everyone Loves Blondes: She's extremely famous and popular in her school.
- High-Pressure Emotion: One of her sprites has this, complete with steam coming out of her face.
- Hobbes Was Right: Rules Jinbu Academy like this, though Ayumu helps change her mind in FD.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: If Ayumu threatens to tell Kirara that he knows Nayuta pads her bras, she will try to attack Ayumu but hits her head and forgets he found out about her secret.
- Leitmotif: "Proud Nayuta"
- Lonely at the Top: It's implied that despite her cold exterior she is really just lonely and wants friends, hence her somewhat bonding with Ayumu before their battle and her hypothesis that Ayumu appeared in her "dreams" because she had grown fond of him.
- Student Council President
- Sugar-and-Ice Personality: Shows shades of the sugar when Ayumu rescues her kitten, though quickly reverts back to the ice part.
- Tsundere: Type A.
- "Well Done, Daughter!" Girl: Inverted. She actually pushed herself to become Student Council President to make her mother proud of her.
A second-year student, and Ayumu's classmate. Tomori is a kind and gentle girl who also happens to be Rei Hinomiya's younger sister. She and her brother are said to be quite close. Friends with Yumina since they entered the academy together, Tomori has been instrumental to Yumina's advancement. Without her help, Yumina would never have made it to second year. While she does not take part in this election's debate battles, she does provide support for Yumina and the rest of the Debate Club. Tomori has never had a boyfriend. This is due in large part to the fact that attempts to get close to her are invariably met with violent interference from an unknown third party.
- Boyfriend Bluff: Inverted - Tomori tells Rei that Ayumu is her boyfriend to try and stop Rei's obsession with her.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold
- I Don't Want to Ruin Our Friendship: Has feelings for Ayumu, but declines to tell him in the "real world" after their sexual encounter in the Ordacle because she wants to preserve their friendship.
- Lonely Rich Kid: Raised in a rich family but had no friends besides Rei growing up.
- Those Two Guys: Rarely seen without Naoto, with the exception of Chapter 2.
- Visible Sigh
- Right Behind Me: In a plot sequence early in the game, he notices Yumina right behind him and Ayumu as they start to talk trash about her and stops, but lets Ayumu continue. It doesn't end well for Ayumu.
- Salaryman: Is revealed to have become one in Kirara's ending, though Yumina says he is in a position of responsibility, unlike the stereotypical salaryman.
- Social Circle Filler: Is somewhat prominent during the Student Council War, but disappears almost entirely from the story after the party gets to space. He's not completely a victim of Conservation of Detail, however, as he reappears in Yumina's and Ai's endings when they return to Earth.
- Those Two Guys: Rarely seen without Tomori, with the exception of Chapter 2.
- Visible Sigh
A resident of Tilscied, the virtual reality world and training simulation into which Kirara sends Yumina and friends, Veridadia is a royal knight of Midorstan whose honest and likable personality quickly endears her to the Debate Club crew. She does, however, have a tendency towards self-effacement, believing herself to be immature and inexperienced. Her sword is larger than she is, but because it is part of her, she wields it easily.
- Badass Adorable: The main characters' first encounter with her involve being awed by her strength, and commenting how cute she is.
- BFS: Additionally, she herself can turn into a BFS.
- Cute Bruiser
- Equippable Ally: In Kirara's route, she can turn herself into a powerful sword, though using her costs the user some of his or her life force.
- Girlish Pigtails
- The Ingenue: Has problems understanding why Princess Yupcilla and the main female cast are insecure about having small bust sizes.
- Pint-Sized Powerhouse
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair
Yupcilla Dana Midorstan
The first princess of Midorstan and a good friend of Kirara.
- Berserk Button: Like Kirara, mentioning how small she is will set her off.
- Beware the Nice Ones: She's friendly, but don't upset her too much, or she'll show you why she is also called "The Stormy Princess".
- In-Series Nickname: "The Stormy Princess".
Yupcilla's loyal butler, who can always be found at his mistress's side, ready to defend her against any and all enemies. A charming young man who never drops his warm smile, Gunumio also displays formidable prowess in combat. The scar on his face no doubt has a story behind it, but Gunumio isn't telling.
Zelerm Crew/Galactic Federation
The commanding officer of the Zelerm and Captain Izel's right-hand man.
- Ace Pilot: Seems to be the one of the Zelerm among the Radiant Frame pilots...at least until Ayumu shows up.
- Big Brother Mentor: The leader of Zelerm's Radiant Frame pilots, and Ayumu remarks that he acts like an elder brother at times.
- Boisterous Bruiser
- Cannot Spit It Out: Towards Falhua.
- Dying Declaration of Love: In Kirara's route.
- Expy: He is rather similar to Mu La Flaga from Mobile Suit Gundam SEED (also voiced by Takehito Koyasu), being a down-to-earth Ace Pilot who serves as the Big Brother Mentor to his fellow mecha pilots.
- Heroic Sacrifice: In Kirara's route.
- Like a Son to Me: Izel thinks of him this way.
- Major Injury Underreaction: After an ED hits his Frame, he notes calmly that it can no longer move on its own. He ejects his partner from the vessel and then talks briefly to Falhua. With no change in tone from normal, he bluntly states that the cockpit is halfway crushed, meaning he's mortally wounded.
- Mismatched Eyes
- Nice Guy: Zieda is very open and friendly, making him about 90% of the reason that Ayumu decided that the crew of the ship could probably be trusted despite the bad first meeting.
- Shipper on Deck: Encourages and teases Ayumu about his relationship with whichever girl's route you are on.
- Tempting Fate: In Kirara's route, Ayumu keeps warning him to quit it with the death flag lines like "Let's share a drink after the battle," but keeps getting ignored. Zieda returns from every battle except the last, where he insists on defending Ayumu's unconscious body until he is fatally injured.
- Visible Sigh
The communications officer of the Zelerm.
- Communications Officer
- Field Promotion: Kirara temporarily hands captaincy of the Zelerm over to her at various points.
- Idiot Hair
- Nepotism: Subverted. She is Captain Izel's daughter, but is given no special treatment and proves herself more than capable of handling the Zelerm and herself under stressful situations. Izel also admonishes her at one point for calling him "father" instead of "captain".
- Oblivious to Love: Though she may not be as oblivious as she appears, particularly in Kirara's route.
- Pointy Ears
Galeorn Dai Gathuda
Head of the Galactic Federation. Former ship captain.
- Dirty Coward: Particularly in Kirara's route, though he also gets more Character Development in hers.
- Dying Moment of Awesome: Gets one in Kirara's route.Galeorn: You fool! The fate of mankind hangs in the balance, and you're worried about good and evil!? I made a bid for political power, it's true. But what good is political power if there aren't any people to use it on!? To those who remain. Stand and advance! I will fall on the road to ambition, but I'm taking this threat to the universe with me. I need no other companions. You must live to crush the Command Unit! I order you as the Commander of the Galactic Federation!
- Fantastic Racism: Is openly dismissive and downright condescending to Ethereals.
- Good Is Not Nice: Though the "good" part can even be debatable.
- Hobbes Was Right: Believes that Ethereals need to be closely managed and monitored, lest they turn against humanity (despite the fact many Ethereals are humans themselves).
- Jerkass Has a Point: In Ai's route, he becomes suspicious of Rishane's true motives. Turns out he was right to be so.
- Smug Snake
- We Used to Be Friends: Implied that he used to be good friends with Captain Izel, captain of the Zelerm, being a former ship captain himself. He also used to be a proponent of Ethereal use in the past, until he became afraid of their power.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: He set up Yumina's mother Yumika to take the fall for Karales' betrayal in order to get himself promoted up the ranks.
Deele Gumura Tarim
Billed as the "strongest ethereal in the galaxy" since the disappearance of Karales.
- Badass Teacher: She goes undercover as a teacher in FD.
- Boobs of Steel: Considered the strongest Ethereal in the galaxy and has rather generous assets.
- Cleavage Window
- Cool Big Sis: To Ai.
- Leitmotif: "Thesis ~Proposition~", a vocal track, as she has abilities similar to Yumina's. note
- Undying Loyalty: To Rishane in Yumina's route, though she has silently questioned his motives.
- Valkyries: Her character design evokes this.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair
Minel "Mine" Moun Colm
A mysterious woman who the party meets upon landing on the surface of Algoda.
- I Work Alone: She has a practical reason for doing it, however - large groups of Ethereals patrolling will draw the attention of the Imperial Knights.
- Nice Hat
- Story Branching: She only appears in Ai's route. Justified, as it's the only route in which the party spends any time on Algoda outside of the Celestial City.
- Team Mom: Functions as this among the Ethereals down on the surface.
- Teleporters and Transporters: Her Ethereal power is translocation, but she can only transport to places she's been before.
- Urban Segregation: The mission in which you meet her is even called "Those Who Live Down Below".
- Visible Sigh: Quite frequently.
The "hero of Algoda" and the strongest ethereal in the galaxy at the time of his disappearance 20 years ago.
- Black Eyes of Evil: Mixed with Red Eyes, Take Warning.
- Black Knight
- FaceHeel Turn
- Fallen Hero: Since his disappearance 20 years ago, Karales has been remembered as a hero who died fighting the Extra-Dimensionals. However, when he reappears, it is revealed that he actually betrayed his allies and sided with the Extra-Dimensionals in order to gain ultimate power.
- Feeling Oppressed by Their Existence: Wants to attack all those who are not Ethereals in Kirara's route.
- HeelFace Turn: At the end of Yumina's route, he sacrifices himself to trap the invading Barais Universe and Thought Crystal inside of an eternal time warp.
- Humans Are the Real Monsters: Tries to invoke this against the party in Kirara's route, saying that humanity "considers us Ethereals nothing but monsters."
- Puppeteer Parasite: Inverted - he is controlling the Extra-Dimensionals, alien beings who "exist beyond time and space", instead of the aliens controlling him.
- Smug Snake
- Social Darwinist
- Story Branching: Karales can either be a Well-Intentioned Extremist / The Extremist Was Right or one of the Big Bads depending on which girl's path you're on.
- Übermensch: Scoffs at the Algodan train of thought concerning Ethereals.Karales: There are laws on Algoda to guide its people. They tell us to live as an Ethereal. They teach us that the individual is subservient to the whole, that the individual must dedicate itself to the whole.Ai: But that's how Ethereals have always lived on Algoda! They don't have any desires, and instead fight for the sake of the world...Karales: ...Indeed, my ideals are directly opposed to Algoda's laws. The people of Algoda would never accept my view. But this is the truth I obtained only after living an Algodan life, and after much inner debate.
- You Remind Me Of Him: In Yumina's route, Karales comments that Ayumu's fighting style reminds him of a man named Tuqueto (who turns out to be Takehito, Ayumu's adoptive father and Yumina's biological father).
The ruler of Algoda.
- Assimilation Plot: His master plan is to finish the Ether Frame and use it to pull one of these off.
- Big Bad: In Ai's route. In Yumina's route, it appears he is going to become this as well but gets killed by Karales.
- The Chessmaster: In Yumina's and Ai's route, he is behind the selection process of Ethereals. Once these Ethereals prove themselves, they are allowed to "live" in the Celestial City on Algoda, in which they are fed into the Ether Frame - all for the purpose of defending Algoda's home universe.
- Creepy Child: Though he is not actually a child.
- Cryptic Conversation: Fond of these, particularly with Ayumu in Ai's route.
- Faux Affably Evil: Particularly in Ai's route.
- Godhood Seeker: In Ai's and Yumina's route, he creates the Ether Frame for this purpose.Rishane: This power isn't meant to be used carelessly in a place like this. It's meant to seize this world...no, this whole universe.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: His fate in Yumina's route.
- Light Is Not Good: He is dressed in all white and seems harmless and affable when you first meet him, but the truth is far more sinister.
- Older Than They Look: He has the appearance of a small child but is actually The Ageless.
- The Sociopath: In Yumina's and Ai's route, but it's expanded upon in Ai's route. As Ayumu angrily puts it, "Just to create an ultimate weapon, he subjugated an entire world and arbitrarily selected people from it. He judged everything with reason, without caring for human personalities at all. He turned the lives and futures of the people he selected to nothing."
- Stepford Smiler
- Story Branching: He doesn't appear at all in Kirara's route and has no bearing on the story.
- Utopia Justifies the Means: He has sacrificed many Ethereals in an attempt to protect Algoda and the Radosseus universe from the Extra-Dimensionals; not out of altruism, but in order to become God. Naturally, this doesn't sit well with the party.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: In Yumina's route, left a young Ayumu to die out in the wastelands of Algoda after deeming him a "failed experiment."
Ayumu's adoptive father. Subjected Ayumu to a harsh training regimen and instructed him to find Yumina Midorishita and protect her at all costs.
- Disappeared Dad: To Yumina. He is Yumina's biological father, but left Yumina in the care of an orphanage and raised Ayumu instead.
- Drill Sergeant Nasty: Subverted. Though he is a harsh trainer, he is not cruel.
- Master Swordsman
- Mysterious Parent
- Real Men Get Shot: Teases Ayumu about this during one of their early training sessions.Takehito: What's the harm? The bandages for cuts and bruises are like medals. You must be pretty popular at school.
- Story Branching: In Yumina's route, his origins are never fully explored aside from The Reveal that he is Yumina's biological father. Kirara's route goes a bit more in depth: he was an agent of the Galactic Federation put on Earth to guide Yumina's mother and ended up becoming her lover. And in Ai's route, Yumina learns the truth about her parentage about mid-way through the story, while in her own and Kirara's route she learns about Takehito being her father relatively late in the story.
- Training from Hell: Subjected Ayumu to this during Ayumu's childhood; in his eyes, it's a case of Tough Love and a way for father and son to bond.
Yumina's deceased mother.
- All-Loving Hero: Described as a selfless warrior who only fought for the sake of others.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Kirara.
- Idol Singer: Apparently was one while she was in school and also in space.
- In the Back: Betrayed by Karales in battle, and set up to take the fall for it.
- Missing Mom: To Yumina.
- Posthumous Character: She is only seen twice, in a picture of Kirara's and inside Kirara's mind, where she has a short conversation with Ayumu. She comes back in the conclusion route, however.
- Story Branching: Yumina learns the truth about Yumika relatively late in Kirara's and her own route, but about mid-way through the story in Ai's route.
The cute and lively girl who runs the school store, which buys and sells everything from stationery and uniforms to weapons, armor, and otherworldly grimoires.