Warning! Some spoilers are unmarked.
Voiced by: Ryoko Shiraishi (Japanese) and Julie Ann Taylor (English)A naive and somewhat immature boy who is a natural Gene Driver: one who can control an ARM. He has a reckless determination to overcome all obstacles and do what is right. As a fighter, he's the Jack-of-All-Stats and the only one required to reload his weapons.
- 11th-Hour Superpower: Arc Impulse.
- Heroic BSoD: Jude, after he sees his mother killed. He goes silent - even if you had his voice settings at such a point that he'd ordinarily burst out with some catchphrase or sound effect every three steps. It's...unnerving.
- Jack-of-All-Stats: Has the most balanced status of the four party members.
- Kid Hero: Jude is 13-years old.
- Morph Weapon/Swiss Army Weapon: There's a reason Jude's ARM is called Shapeshifter.
- Super Speed: The Accelerator.
- Bullet Time: The gameplay convention for his Accelerator ability.
Voiced by: Ayako Kawasumi (Japanese) and Kate Higgins (English)A shy girl who is extremely wary of adults. She is also a Gene Driver, but her abilities were given to her through extensive and inhumane treatments and experimentation. She cannot activate ARMs like Jude can, but can control already active ARMs, which allows her to use the Guardian Programs. Aside from that, she's primarily a healer/support character.
- Apologises a Lot
- Break the Cutie: Yulie received inhumane treatment and experimentation made by scientists that attempted to create a Gene Driver.
- The Chick
- Feminine Women Can Cook
- Mysterious Waif
- Rings of Death: Her weapon of choice.
- Summon Magic: Can summon the Guardians.
- White Magician Girl: Can heal and buff the party, along with using spells that purify undead enemies.
Arnaud G. Vasquez
Voiced by: Hiroki Takahashi (Japanese) and Yuri Lowenthal (English)A handsome young Drifter who is physically weak, so honed his mind into a weapon. He claims to be a selfish coward at heart, but he remains with Yulie and Jude throughout their journey. He is primarily an offensive magic user.
- Black Mage: Skilled in offensive magic and ailment/debuff spells.
- Improbable Weapon User: Arnaud uses feathers as his melee attack. Strangely enough, they can do quite a bit of damage for a mage's attack.
- Squishy Wizard: Being the party's Black Mage, his physical attack power and vitality aren't the highest.
Voiced by: Hitomi Nabatame (Japanese) and Wendee Lee (English)A swordswoman seemingly without peer. She is by far the most mature member of the party. Raquel is dying of an incurable condition that is the result of an ARM going out of control when she was a child. Because of this, she walks the Earth to find and paint the remaining beauty in the world. She also happens to be the most broken (no pun intended) character in your party, with an attack strength high enough to finish most (non-boss) enemies in one hit. She later gains abilities that give her superior mobility on the battlefield and the ability to act twice in a row.
- Action Girl
- The Big Gal: The strongest party member, Raquel can finish most enemies in one hit.
- BFS: which can have extending handles, turning it into a Blade on a Stick.
- Died Happily Ever After: Having finally found true happiness and beauty through her marriage to Arnaud, and having given birth to their daughter, Raquel passes on peacefully with no regrets.
- Extra Turn: Her Intrude ability, which trades FP for an extra turn. Given how much damage she does in a single turn, Intrude basically means that most boss fights abruptly end as soon as Raquel gets a turn.
- Lady of War: A swordswoman with a cool and mature demeanor on a quest for beauty.
- Mighty Glacier: An extreme example. Raquel is so slow that each of the other party members will generally get two actions for every one action Raquel gets, but her attack power is so high that she often does more than half a boss's HP in one hit.
- Soap Opera Disease: Due to being injured during the destruction of Verklerung. She has a wound that will never completely heal.
- Walking the Earth: Looking for things of beauty.
Voiced by: Jurota Kosugi (Japanese) and Grant George (English)The leader of Brionac, Lambda has the ability to see the future. His weapons are the sword and whip.
- Alas, Poor Villain: He's pretty pitiable in his final moments, mainly due to his Heel Realization.
- Combat Clairvoyance: Lambda has the Blue Destiny ability, which lets him calculate the future and allows him to completely avoid the attacks of anyone in his sight most of the time, even if the attack is normally unavoidable.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Lambda kills the Cabal in disgust shortly after learning their true objectives.
- In the backstory, he also personally executed Fiore and Asia's creator after learning that he was a rapist.
- Jumping Off the Slippery Slope: Lambda is initially a fairly moral person, but after he loses the greater portion of his comrades and the organization he served falls apart, his recourse is practically to wipe anyone not capable of surviving a horde of powerful mutants off the planet. Needless to say, he fucking lost it.
- Knight Templar
- Large Ham: During his rants about Filgaia's future.
- Manly Tears
- Meaningful Name: Lambda is the 11th letter of the Greek alphabet; the Brionac Forces is composed by eleven members (including Lambda himself).
- Red Baron: Blue Destiny.
- Redemption Equals Death
- Social Darwinist: His final plan is to use the Divine Weapon to unleash powerful monsters upon the world, ensuring that the survivors, who will have proven themselves to be the fittest, will usher in a better future.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: He genuinely thinks that using the Divine Weapon to recreate the world is the only way to preserve Filgaia.
- Whip It Good: Lambda is show using a whip in cutscenes, however he fights with a sword.
Voiced by: Kotono Mitsuishi (Japanese) and Mary Elizabeth McGlynn (English)The Shield of Brionac. She supports and loves Lambda unconditionally, although her outward demeanor is lighthearted. Her weapon is a shield.
- Barrier Warrior: Her combat style is entirely defensive. She uses multiple stances with different effects and weaknesses that counter attack based on the damage type received. She notably has a stance that is immune to all damage and instant kills as a counter attack.
- Heroic Sacrifice
- Ms. Fanservice: Combine her choice of clothes with her flirtatious relationship with Lambda.
- Red Baron: Asgard.
- Redemption Equals Death
Voiced by: Susumu Chiba (Japanese) and Johnny Yong Bosch (English)Yulie's brother and, as a result of the same experimentation done on Yulie, also a Gene Driver. He cares deeply for his sister but is jealous of Jude for having the natural ability to use ARMs.
- Aloof Big Brother: Yulie's.
- Cool Bike: Javelin, Kresnik's motorcycle.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Kresnik envies Jude for being a natural born ARMs wielder much younger than him. Kresnik had to undergo severe mutations and can still only wield prototype ARMs with the aid of drugs.
- Guest-Star Party Member: Twice during the game: at Garra de Leon, he go against Lambda's orders and help saving Yulie and, at the last dungeon, he joins Jude, after he got separated from his friends.
- HeelFace Turn
- Inferred Survival: Kresnik's music box is found by Yulie in the ending, hinting that he's still alive.
- There's also a panning shot in the epilogue which briefly shows a silouhette strongly resembling him - a shot which panned out from his sister's appearance. Not so much "inferred" as "apparently just didn't merit a "Where Are They Now?" Epilogue line of text of his own"...
- Red Baron: The Pale Rider.
- Take Up My Sword: Kresnik gives his ARM to Jude protect Yulie.
Voiced by: Shintaro Ohata (Japanese) and Liam O'Brien (English)By far the most violent and insane member of Brionac, Jeremy wields a rapid fire missile launcher barehanded thanks to his special ability, "Inertia Cancel." He eventually merges with an ARM, become a Wild ARM, making him even crazier and more dangerous.
- Ax-Crazy: Jeremy is extremely violent and perfectly willing to ignore mission objectives in favor of murdering anyone who slights him. And he gets worse after becoming a Wild ARM.
- Body Horror: His transformation into a Wild ARM isn't as grotesque as Augst's, but half of his body ends up being converted into some kind of bio-mechanical substance while his arm is grossly fused to his gatling gun.
- Extra Turn: His Inertia Cancel ability manifests itself in battle as this, where he gets an extra attack every turn. He starts using it in his second battle, and every battle afterwards increases the amount of extra turns by one each, ending at three extra turns.
- Half-Human Hybrid: He is merged with his ARM in the final battle against him.
- Recurring Boss: One of the very few examples of this in the game. In a game where most of the villains die after their first battle, Jeremy is fought a grand total of four times.
- Red Baron: Inertial Canceller.
Voiced by: Daisuke Kishio (Japanese) and Cam Clarke (English)A man who claims to be one of the half-mythical Crimson Nobles. He has the special ability to manipulate time and space. In reality, he is a delusional hemophiliac whose power comes from the demon Belial.
- Blood Magic: Unknown to himself, the ability to manipulate space come from drinking Belial's blood.
- Faux Affably Evil: He tries to act charming, but he's an unpleasant prick who, compared to most of Brionac, is pretty low on morality scale.
- Interspecies Romance: With Belial. Belial being his non-human partner.
- Life Drain: The spell "Suction".
- Oh, Crap!: When an airship on the carrier's engines fire up and jets right at his direction, Scythe tries to warp out but finds out he can't do anything except look at all the airplanes tumbling towards him.
- Our Vampires Are Different: His vampirism gives him the power to control space and time. Although he is not himself a Crimson Noble, anyway, and only gets his power through his lover, who is a demon.
- Readings Are Off the Scale:Arnaud: "The amount of magic welling up in him is insane!"
Jude: "You can tell?"
Arnaud: "Magic's my specialty...I can't help but sense it. He's beyond inhuman...Maybe he is a Crimson Noble!"
- Red Baron: Crimson Noble.
- Space Master: Has the power to create space distortions.
- Would Hurt a Child: Most of the members of Brionac, sans Jeremy, are more content with capturing Yulia and giving the heroes a chance to stand down and escape. Scythe, however, jumps straight to trying to kill them.
Voiced by: Taiten Kusunoki (Japanese) and Yuri Lowenthal (English)A member of Brionac whose special ability is "System Chronos", which stops time for everyone but himself. He wields a pair of swords, named Gan and Diva, which can be combined to form a bow.
- Bifurcated Weapon
- Graceful Loser: Admits his defeat to the party.
- No-Sell: Jude tried to use his Accelerator to keep up with Hugo's speed, but Hugo 'teleports' behind Jude and kicks him in the rear.Hugo: "They call me 'System Chronos'... My ability is to compress the flow of time, allowing me, and me alone to move amidst high-density time which is practically standing still... Do you understand? No matter how much you accelerate, when I compress time, your speed approaches zero! The super-speed ability of your Accelerator is completely powerless before System Chronos.
- Red Baron: System Chronos.
- Time Stands Still: Is capable of compressing time with his ability. In battle, this allows him to move to another panel on the battlefield and avoid attacks unless he's cornered.
- All Men Are Perverts: According to Enil, Heath used his ability to stalk on the female staff members. This is also the reason Lambda killed him.
- Driven to Madness: According to Enil, his special ability didn't do well for his sanity.
- Invisibility: His special ability allows him to became completely invisible, undetectable by any human sense or even machine.
- Mad Scientist: Created Fiore and Asia.
- Posthumous Character: Was killed by Lambda before the events of the game.
- Red Baron: Invisible Stalker.
Voiced by: Nao Takamori (Japansese) and Erika Lenhart (English)A physically weak woman who has the devastating special ability of "Dark Whisper," which can manifest illusions, particularly fears. She also has the ability to shapeshift.
- Anti-Villain: Is almost entirely bereft of antagonistic traits and is rather pitiable herself.
- Flunky Boss: Enil herself is a flimsy boss who is reliant on using her shadows to inflict damage and prevent enemies from attacking her.
- Mirror Boss: Her gimmick. She summons shadow clones of the party who fight for her. Additionally, attacking a clone without the matching character inflicts the damage dealt to that corresponding party member.
- Red Baron: Dark Whisper.
- Shapeshifter Baggage
Voiced by: Daisuke Gori (Japanese) and Douglas Rye (English)A powerful warrior seeking an honorable death on the battlefield. His weapon is a anti-tank chainsaw.
- Chainsaw Good: Again, a friggin' anti-tank chainsaw. It's powerful enough to instantly kill anyone in his attack range.
- Contractual Boss Immunity: His special ability, 'Baron of Gore,' nullify any kind of ailment/debuff spell.
- Death Seeker: Openly expresses regret that he didn't die in combat during the war. Naturally, as an antagonist, he gets his wish when he fights the heroes.
- Dynamic Entry: Balgaine chops atrain car in half with a chainsaw, then uses his Jetpack to go after the moving train, where the party is.
- Mighty Glacier: Takes two turns to perform any attack, but if any gets caught in his range when he finally lets go, they are dead.
- Not Quite Human: Hinted to be a Cyborg or something similar, as the "Analyze command", gives him has the Atribute "Machine" and say he is weak against "Short Circuit". Also, he explodes after being defeated.
- Red Baron: Baron of Gore.
Voiced by: Akio Nojima (Japanese) and Paul St. Peter (English)A former colleague of Jude's parents, Augst now works as a scientist for Brionac. He lacks any combat prowess or special abilities, unlike most of the rest of Brionac.
- Badass Normal: Averted. Unlike the rest of Brionac, Augst has no special ability or skill in combat. In order for him to impede the heroes in any way, he has to inject himself with experimental Wild ARM cells. Regardless, that he's willing to do that at all in the name of his objectives is impressive enough.
- Body Horror: Becomes a bloated, tumorous mass of mutated flesh after becoming a Wild ARM. His biology becomes so warped that he actually absorbs energy, demonstrated when he absorbs a battleship-sized explosion, becoming a giant, unstable blob that leaks fire and is ready to explode at any moment in the process
- Evil Genius: To some degree. He's not evil, per se, but he's antagonistic, he has committed some heinous crimes, and serves as the lead strategist and scientist within a morally-dubious military faction.
- Red Baron: The Trifler.
- Stone Wall: His boss form is this. It halves all damage received and absorbs elemental magic, but is so impossibly slow that you could literally kill him 10 times over before he even gets his own turn.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Wishes to develop ARMs for the sake of healing the war-torn planet, but is willing to commit wholly unethical experiments in the process.
- You Shall Not Pass!: Mutates himself in order to stall the heroes while Lambda escapes.
Voiced by: Cam Clarke (English)
- Fat Bastard: He is a Bad Boss who only cares for his own promotion.
- Mini-Mecha: His Landing Gear.
- Starter Villain: The first antagonist of the game, being sent to Ciel Shelter to secure the Shapeshifter ARM.
- Up Through the Ranks: His main objetive.
- Irony: His rank gets lower each time the party defeats him. Acting Commander Tony -> Acting Commander Tony (on probation) -> Recon Unit Leader Tony -> Third Class Pilot Tony.
Voiced by: Sachiko Kojima (Japanese) and Mona Marshall (English)Although not officially a member of Brionac, she is never far from Scythe. It turns out that she is the source of Scythe's power, and she doesn't take the party killing him at all well.
- Ax-Crazy: Didn't take Scythe's death well.
- Flunky Boss: Summons spacial distortions and uses them as shields.
- Hoist by Her Own Petard: Belial is normally extremely powerful, but the creation of her own pocket dimension for the sake of trapping the heroes drains her power to such a level that the heroes are able to defeat her.
- Interspecies Romance: With Scythe.
- Kiss of the Vampire: Played Straight as Belial enjoys getting bitten by Scythe. Except that he isn't a vampire.
- Not Quite Human: According to Lambda, although the game does not reveal what her species is.
- Space Master: According to Augst, Belial has absolute mastery over space. After Scythe's death, she creates her own dimension just to trap and hunt down the heroes.
- Unstoppable Rage: Her very first action after Scythe dies is to annihilate the airship the heroes are on. She doesn't calm down from there.
Fiore and Asia
Voiced by: Ryo Hirohashi (Japanese) and Melissa Fahn (English)A pair of living creepy dolls designs by a Mad Scientist named Heath. Although not officially members of Brionac, they are associated with the group and seem to take orders from Lambda. Their special ability relates to dreaming.
- Dual Boss: They fight together and use Combination Attacks.
- Self-Destruct Mechanism: Each doll has this ability and attempt to use it to kill the heroes after being defeated.
- Single-Minded Twins: The duo is always seen talking about the same subject and completing each other sentences.
The CabalThe Omniscient Council of Vagueness who command Brionac. Lambda kills them when they reveal their true intentions.
- A God Am I: Their ultimate goal is to use the Divine Weapon to become gods and rule over Filgaia, citing that they are the most capable people to do so.
- Became Their Own Antithesis: During the war, they fought against the Global Union's dictatorship regime for the sake of a democratic society. After the war was over, they grew to believe that commoners were unfit to rule, and thus became yet another set of dictators.
- Color-Coded Characters: Each member wears a different colored armor.
- Fallen Hero: As some of the oldest vanguards of the Congressional Knights, they originally fought the Global Union for the sake of a democratic society where the average citizen could participate in the rule of government. As they grew older, however, they grew to believe that the average person was too unintelligent and incapable to participate, and thus became yet another set of dictators.
- Hoist by Their Own Petard: The Cabal deliberately sends off each member of Brionac, one by one, to get killed so that Brionac's influence would wane and Lambda would fall in line with their desires. However, it was Lambda's own grief over the loss of all of his comrades that pressures him to confront and ultimately kill the members of the Cabal.
- Immortality Immorality
- The Unfought: Mainly because Lambda does it for you.
The Jane DoesUndead corps who serve the Congressional Knights from the shadows.
- An Axe to Grind: Jane Doe AX.
- Artificial Zombie: The Jane Does were created at the White Orphanage by installing digitalized souls of negative emotions on the bodies of newly dead soldiers.
- BFS: Jane Doe SW.
- BFG: Jane Doe GN.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: 'Jane Doe' is a generic name used for unidentified females soldiers.
- Revive Kills Zombie: Whey are weak to the Sanctify spell; Yulie cast it on them after the battle.
Voiced by: Norio Wakamoto (Japanese) and Kim Strauss (English)A cheerful, almost buffoon-like, adult who helps the party numerous times along their way. Is in actuality Brionac's trump card, and is hunting Hauser.
- Anti-Villain: Of the Punch-Clock Villain type.
- Badass Normal: He's one of the only two members of Brionac without a special ability, but he is by far their strongest member, with more than two times the HP of the next toughest member and with his standard attacks being One Hit Kills.
- Heroic Sacrifice
- Dying Moment of Awesome: Goes out in a physics-defying spectacle, saving the heroes from Illsveil's anti-air missile system. Specifically, he does this in mid-air, propelling himself with nothing but his two guns, while shooting down each missile up until he runs out of ammo and friggin' punches the last one.
- Dual Wielding: His signature weapons are two 6-shot pistols, hence his title of Twin Gunner. He's stated to be able to take down anything with the 12 shots between both of his pistols.
- The Gunslinger: Quick Draw style
- Instant Dogend: He appears to have one. When Jude points this out, he claims that it's a freeze-dried noodle.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: He comes off as a buffoon, but on many occasions challenges the party members, especially Jude, to reconsider their simplistic world views. Once it's revealed he's part of Brionac, his buffoonish disguise completely disappears to reveal a much more cynical, battered man than one would have expected.
- Red Baron: Twin Gunner (or Double Dragoon, as seen on a console at Eulalia).
- Redemption Equals Death: See Dying Moment of Awesome.
Voiced by: Masahiko Tanaka and Dan Woren (English)
An infamous Drifter and war criminal who wields an ARM and appears to have the same Accelerator ability as Jude. In reality, he is innocent of the crimes he is accused of and is sick of war.
- Dead All Along: It's heavily implied that Hauser is a nanomachine-powered ghost by the time the party meets him, similar to Werner from the last game.
- Disappears into Light: Hauser, who at that point may have been nothing more than a nanomachine cluster, after Jude convinces him to let go and rest.
- Luke, I Am Your Father: Hints throughout the game are made that he is Jude's father. Subverted in that it is later hinted that this is not Jude's real father (he died), but rather a collection of nanomachines that mimicked him.
- Morality Pet: The little puppy he saves. Its implied death makes him snap.
- Omnicidal Maniac: After concluding that Humans Are Bastards.
- Red Baron: The Black Reaper.
- Super Speed: He also has the Accelerator.
- With Great Power Comes Great Insanity