This is the characters page for We Are The Wyre Cats
The Team as a Whole
- All of the Other Reindeer: Each of them have various disabilities, neurodivergences, and other differences that prove to be a significant sore spot for them.
- Animal Motifs: All of their armors are based on some kind of animal.
- Four-Temperament Ensemble: Sanguine: Mela Choleric: K.A. Plegmatic: Bryce Melancholic: Lamar
- Gadgeteer Genius: All of them, to some extent, are experts at building high-tech devices.
- Handicapped Badass: All of them have some sort of disability, but the Powered Armor theyve built more than makes up for their limitations.
- Kid Hero: Deconstructed right off the bat. Things did not go well for these kids.
- Powered Armor: Their M.O.
- Sentai: The group had this sort or vibe, before it disbanded.
Kristina Asuka K.A Percival
- As You Know: When its not flashbacks, a lot of getting the audience up to speed involves establishing what she already knows and filling her in on the blanks.
- Break the Cutie: Really, all of the Wyre Cats are victim to this, but K.A. especially gets hit hard.
- The Cape: K.A. means nothing but good and goes out of her way to help others. It doesn't quite work out like she hopes.
- Defector from Decadence: To some degree, after leaving the Wyre Cats team. She's disgusted by the extent to which they allow Jens to manipulate them and the rest of the world and especially upset about being lied to by the people she thought were her friends.
- Fish out of Temporal Water: A downplayed example, K.A. was in a coma for five years. However, the shock of everything shes missed has so far been a large part of the plot.
- Good Morning, Crono: The story begins with her waking up from a five-year coma. Things quickly go downhill from there.
- Hero Does Public Service: She wastes no time getting back to work, helping however she can despite being five years behind.
- Heroic BSoD: Surprisingly averted. She breaks into tears often and is horrified by the unintended consequences of her actions, yet she continues to draw from her considerable determination to make things right...
- Heroic Willpower: ...and this is more or less the source of that determination.
- Kind Hearted Cat Lover: Very fond of felines. After she breaks ties with the Wyre Cat team, she hides out on an island inhabited by feral cats, looking after them.
- Spiritual Successor: K.A. is very similar to Ruby, the protagonist of the creators previous comic. An interesting case, considering We Are the Wyrecats is set in the same universe as Ruby Nation.
- Super Speed: Her Powered Armor allows her to run at superhuman speeds. She gets even faster after she upgrades herself.
- Wide-Eyed Idealist: Despite waking up to a less-than-ideal situation, K.A. maintains her idealistic outlook and does all she can to help.
Jonathan James Bryce
- Break the Cutie: Bryce was a very enthusiastic, optimistic kid. Now, not so much.
- Hero Does Public Service: Like K.A., despite everything, Bryce does want to make the world a better place. But having given up on superhero-ing, he puts his efforts into slightly more mundane (and safer) pursuits.
- I Believe I Can Fly: His suit allows him the ability to fly.
- Jade-Colored Glasses: Its clear that the disbanding of the team was a significant blow to him. He is much less of an idealist than he was in the flashbacks.
- Last-Name Basis: More often goes by Bryce, even among his close friends.
- Mission Control: When he's lucid, that is. His physical health prevents him from being as actively involved in the Wyre Cats' missions as he used to be.
- Sanity Slippage: As the tumor in his brain progresses, he becomes increasingly paranoid, though he still has enough moments of lucidity to work with the team in limited bursts.
- Shipper on Deck: Since K.A. and Lamar Cannot Spit It Out, he does it for them.
- Your Days Are Numbered: It turns out he has cancer and he hasn't got long to live.
- The Atoner: After K.A. leaves the team, Lamar is determined to make up for his failure to live up to the ideals they once held.
- Good Is Not Nice: Deep down inside, he wants to do good, but his methods can be harsh and he's something of a misanthrope.
- The Cynic: Unlike the other four, Lamar was rather cynical even when they were kids.
- Don't You Dare Pity Me!: Really hates being seen as Inspirationally Disadvantaged.
- The Scapegoat: Along with Ignis as a whole.
- The Speechless: Defied. Although he is mute, he developed a speechbot to help him communicate.
- The Stoic: Lamar is brusque and deadly serious nearly all the time.
- Interrupted Suicide: Destroys the underwater base intended to kill himself and save the others. It turns out the whole deal was staged and he's rescued by Tadeo.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: All things considered, Lamar's motives are understandable, given that he was used as a scapegoat by the government and forced into a corner. It doesn't justify the trouble he's caused, but his reasoning is sympathetic.
- 0% Approval Rating: His Machiavellian leadership tactics turn his own troops against him.
Melanie Mela Sanchez
- The Big Guy: Her powered armor is by far the bulkiest of the team and her strength is nothing to sneeze at. Even out of the suit, shes bigger than the others.
- Brain Uploading: Mela's original body is long gone. Her consciousness has been uploaded digitally.
- The Gadfly: Mela has some decent hacking skills, which she uses to send pictures of elongated cats to the Pentagon. Why? Why not.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Melas a bit of a strange person, focusing on odd details at the weirdest moments.
- Green-Eyed Monster: A non-romantic version, but she's clearly jealous of K.A.'s new friend.
- Sad Clown: She's perky and seems to be the most optimistic one in the group, but several moments suggest she's actually a lot more troubled than she lets on.
- Shapeshifter Weapon: One of the main features of her suit.
- What Measure Is a Non-Human?: She seems to be going through a personal crisis since her human body was destroyed long ago.
TadeoEarly-Bird Cameo: He was the one driving the limo when Bryce came to pick K.A. up from the hospital.Legacy Character: He is taking on Bryce's role.Mentor Ship: Tadeo and Bryce are a couple.
- Deadpan Snarker: Can have an acerbic tongue when it suits him.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: The flashback of his death is somewhat gruesome.
- Parents as People: Mr. Percival clearly loved his daughter and treated his students with respect. However, his priorities were a bit more warlike than the kids at first.
- Posthumous Character: As K.A. unfortunately discovers
- Uncle Pennybags: He has funds to spare, and used this money to help the kids pursue their goals.
- Happily Failed Suicide: K.A. keeps in touch with her after preventing her from killing herself. Erica admits shes glad to be alive.
- Interrupted Suicide: K.A.s first act of heroism after coming out of her coma is saving her from attempted suicide.
- Muggle Best Friend: Perhaps not best friends yet, but the two keep in touch and make plans to marathon Doctor Who together.
- Big Bad: He was behind the Wyre Cats and Ignis being used as a scapegoat by the government and has been manipulating K.A. and preying on her naivete to capture Lamar.
- FaceHeel Turn: He played a more heroic role in Ruby Nation, but his principles have since changed.
- Mr. Exposition: He brings K.A. up to speed on her mission in short order, but aside from mobilizing the Wyrecats and explaining the mission, little is known about his role in this comic.
- Recurring Character: One who has appeared in two other of the authors comics, in fact.
- Realpolitik: Turns out he's been pulling the strings at a staged war to keep humanity under control for quite some time.
- The Strategist: Realizing sending the military to handle an international crisis could be a problem, he turns to the independently-operating instead.
- Walking Spoiler: Some of the most important aspects of his role in the story are very spoileriffic.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Which she has in common with the rest of the cast. She's seen some very inhumane things done to the children she worked with, and it's strongly implied she's been on receiving end of some very nasty drug treatments when attempting to escape.
- Nerves of Steel: Chews Lamar out for mistaking her for a child, despite the fact that he's just torn her powered armor apart like it was nothing.
- Punny Name: Tabbi, as in tabby cat. Possibly a Meaningful Name hinting at the possibility that she might join the Wyre Cats in the future.
- Trigger Happy: Shoots up the room as soon as the team comes in.