Voiced by: Fumiko Orikasa (Japanese), Wendee Lee (English)
A pureblood vampire who murdered Zero's parents and turned Zero into a vampire. She is infamously known as the "Kuruizaki-hime." During her long life of living in a cage and feeding on humans, she met one who did not shy away nor found her repulsive for her true nature. She quickly fell in love with the man and turned him into a vampire so that she can go on with a life partner. However, this serves to piss off her fiancee, Rido, and in an act of cruelty, Rido manipulated the Hunter's Association to kill the vampire. The Kiryuus' were the hunters who committed the deed and wallowing in despair and anger, Shizuka broke free of her cage and attacked them, leaving only Zero as the sole survivor and fueling his hatred for vampires since. She returns with her loyal servant, Ichiru, in the body of her distant relative, Maria Kurenai.
After much mayhem and chaos, Shizuka was able to return to her original body but was wounded by Zero and finally killed by Kaname. Kaname himself commits the taboo of feeding on another Pureblood, despite being one himself and she warns him that despite the great powers he will achieve as a result of the blood, things will not end well for him in the end. She finally dies in the arms of her faithful servant, Ichiru.
- Alas, Poor Villain: Shizuka herself isn't inherently a bad person but circumstances and her own temper drove her to commit the deeds that she did. After learning who really orchestrated her former lover's death, she made it her goal to take revenge on the bastard but died before she could do so.
- Arranged Marriage: Was arranged to marry Rido Kuran. Rejects him for a random stranger she turned vampire.
- Berserk Button: Not being shown any type of respect; she will attempt to make you pay, as Aidou and Zero learned the hard way.
- Break His Heart to Save Him: Shizuka notes how frustrated Ichiru is that he is almost always kept at an emotional arms length from her and the fact that he is still a human when he voices his desire to become a vampire in order to serve and be with Shizuka forever. However, in truth, she refuses to turn him due to realizing that she grew to love her guardian and that forcing the curse of a vampire's existence on him would only bring future despair.
- Cherry Blossom Girl: Her eyes are pink, she is literally surrounded by cherry blossoms most of the time, her surname Hio means "scarlet cherry blossoms," and of course the love/death/fate connection.
- Cry Cute: As malicious as she can be, Shizuka is capable of genuine sadness, particularly when she lost her first lover and is seen weeping over his ashes. This leads to be a proving factor in building the bond between her and Ichiru when they first met; Shizuka notes how miserable he is with his life and Ichiru retorts back that she's crying tears of sadness as well.
- Died in Your Arms Tonight: Died in Ichiru's arms.
- Disc-One Final Boss: The first truly villainous character introduced with a hand in the plot, though she's defeated halfway through the first arc.
- Does Not Like Shoes: She's always barefoot, forgoing sandals and tabi no matter where.
- Every Girl Is Cuter with Hair Decs: Shizuka has long wavy hair with oriental decorations strewn throughout giving her both a noble yet childlike appearance. Suits her as Shizuka is known to "play" with her peers. Her trademark ribbon is fitted with a bell, which she passes on to Ichiru after her death.
- Femme Fatale: Loves seducing and flirting with the Kiryuu twins. Only Ichiru had any feelings for her and maybe vice-versa.
- Hime Cut: Her hair looks the traditional Japanese appearance, as she is known as a princess.
- Ice Queen: Treats everyone with cold indifference. Only Ichiru is shown with more respect.
- In the Blood: Characters in the story note that Shizuka's family blood line were known to go "berserk" and kill everything around them, hence the need for her to reside in a cage all her life.
- Meaningful Name: Shizuka means "calm and quiet." Hio means "scarlet" (hi) and "cherry blossoms (ou). Her Red Baron name Kuruizaki-hime translates to "flowers of the blooming season" (kuruizaki) and "princess" (hime).
- Mistress and Servant Boy: Shizuka and Ichiru. Their relationship even borders on being lovers, albeit a twisted kind.
- Pet the Dog: Refused to turn Ichiru into a vampire due to her love for the boy, however much she tries to deny it.
- Purple Eyes: Colored pictures shows that as Maria, she has startling purple eyes. In her original body, her eyes are blood red.
- Rapunzel Hair: Shizuka's hair is abundant and long, almost reaching towards the floor.
- Really 700 Years Old: As a pureblood, she's destined to live forever and keep her natural beauty.
- Red Baron: The "Kuruizaki-hime."
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: Her attack on the Kiyruu family was because they were the ones who murdered her manservant lover, who was a vampire who was once a human and was falsely placed on the hunter's execution list as a Level E.
- Together in Death: Noting how much grief she was about to leave Ichiru in, she offers him her blood as a way to "stay" forever inside him. This becomes important later when Ichiru dies and gives both his blood and by proxy Shizuka's blood to Zero, thus permanently halting his descent into Level E.
- Woman in White: Her trademark attire is a white kimono.
Voiced by: Mai Nakahara (Japanese), Laura Bailey (English)Please... If Zero sees Ichiru, ask him... to tell Ichiru that I want to see him.
A young girl and a distant relative to Shizuka Hio. She transfers to Cross Academy while possessed by Shizuka, with the promise that Shizuka will cure her weak constitution she's always had since birth. This wish goes unfulfilled after her relative's death; nevertheless, she continues to attend Cross Academy, taking special interest in Zero, due to her love for Ichiru.
- Animal Eye Spy: One of her specialties is that she can possess small animals and see through their eyes; her favorite seem to be owls.
- Creepy Child: When possessed by Shizuka Hio, she's cold and ruthless, if a bit playful. Outside possession, this trope gets subverted and she's quite the quiet and normal girl.
- Dark Magical Girl: When possessed by Shizuka, Maria can kick ass but only for a brief while.
- Grand Theft Me: When possessed by Shizuka Hio, though she gives consent for Shizuka to possess her.
- Elegant Gothic Lolita: Dresses like a traditional Lolita, complete with umbrella, though her attire is in white instead of black.
- Every Girl Is Cuter with Hair Decs: Similar to Shizuka, Maria wears ribbons and ornaments in her hair.
- Freaky Fashion, Mild Mind: Possessed by Shizuka, to outsiders, she looks kind and tame, until you speak with her and get to know her...Eventually subverted when she goes back to normal.
- HeelFace Turn: Joins the good guys after Shizuka's death though she wasn't evil to begin with and holds no ill will towards Zero and Yuki. They in turn treat her like a friend.
- Hime Cut: As a relative to Shizuka, this trademark hair is a staple for her family.
- Ill Girl: Similar to Ichiru in his youth, Maria has a weak constitution, even for a vampire.
- Lonely Rich Kid: Lives in a mansion with her parents though she yearns for friends at the Cross Academy.
- Manic Pixie Dream Girl: Though in her defense, this is pretty much while Shizuka was in her body.
- Meaningful Name: Her surname Kurenai means "crimson."
- Moe Stare: Maria is quite beautiful and is able to pull off the cutest stares.
- Naïve Everygirl: The real Maria is sweet and innocent and behave naively to others.
- New Transfer Student: Possessed by Shizuka, Maria attends the Academy in an effort to gain information. After Shizuka's death, the transfer is still permanent, as Maria herself has no desire for revenge or violence.
- No Sense of Personal Space: She tends to do this with Yuuki, whether she's possessed or not.
- Perky Goth: Dresses like a Lolita, yet she doesn't brood like one.
- Purple Eyes: Her normal eye color.
- The Rival: In Chapter 72, she suggests she'll "snatch" Zero away from Yuuki if the latter doesn't want him. It's notable since she's not too particularly fond of Zero, but her suggestion may have to do with Zero's resemblance to Ichiru and Ichiru technically being "one" with Zero.
- Ship Tease: According to her bio in the fanbook, her taste in men is "Ichiru." Later shows in interest in Zero because of his resemblance to his twin.
There are few purebloods left in this world... so we must support each other.
A pureblood vampire who is good friends with Kaname. She is introduced towards the end of the first half of the story and later becomes the main antagonist in the second half of the story. After kidnapping a wounded Ichijo and "forcing" him to become her servant, Sara notes that she is willing to do anything to stay on top of the food chain as she doesn't want to die alone and forgotten like the rest of the Purebloods in the story, intending to become Queen of all Purebloods. Her hobbies includes coming up with manipulative schemes, teasing Ichijo and turning innocent girls into her obedient slaves. She is later killed when the remains of the Hooded Woman stabs her through the heart and she shares one final tender moment with Ichijo.
- Alliterative Name: "S"ara "S"hirabuki
- Arranged Marriage: Has a fiance named Ouri who she indirectly murdered in order to obtain his powers.
- Big Bad Wannabe: Looks like she's being set up as the next major villain.... and does absolutely nothing in the end. Yeah, the implication that she wanted to be the Queen of the Purebloods? That was all a bunch of hot air.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Acts majestic and kind but she's 100% pure bitch.
- Enigmatic Minion: We have no idea what she's up to or why, but it has something to do with Kaname since she captured Ichijou out of the purpose of getting information on Kaname. It's revealed that she "wants to be Queen"—whatever that means is anybody's guess, but it's very likely that she desires to be the Queen of the Purebloods.
- Light Is Not Good: Loves wearing bright white clothing and surrounding herself with innocence. She's anything but.
- Manipulative Bitch: Similar to Kaname and all the other malicious purebloods, she loves coming up with plans to force people to do what she wants; she plays the vulnerable helpless type to get the Hunter Association to protect her from Kaname's rampage and tries to get Zero to kill Kaname personally by promising him her blood for the sake of a power boost.
- Meaningful Name: Sara means "renew." Shirabuki means "white" (shira) and "butterbur" (buki), which is a plant with white flowers.
- Rapunzel Hair: Her hair is even longer than Shizuka's.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: Readers never get a chance to find out Sara's motivations throughout the story; even Shizuka and Rido have more character than she does.
- The Worf Effect: Sara dies rather easily and pathetically despite being a Pureblood vampire, since she didn't really put put much a fight despite copying Kaname and absorbing the powers of another Pureblood.
- Woman in White: Her signature attire is an all white dress.
Voiced by: Mariko Kouda (Japanese)
It happened so fast that I didn't have time to hold back my power... I couldn't take the risk, because there's a life growing inside me that I had to protect at all costs...
Kaname's and Yuuki's mother, Juuri is the wife of Haruka, as well as being his sibling along with her big brother Rido. Supposedly, Haruka's and Juuri's deaths were the result of suicide but tt was later revealed that they were murdered by Rido instead. Juuri sacrifices her life to transform her daughter Yuuki into a human and erases her memories in order to protect her from vampires who would abuse to power of Purebloods.
- Action Mom: Juuri can kick ass when she wants to. Just ask Kaien, who was defeated with one kick.
- BrotherSister Incest: Married her brother Haruka.
- Curtains Match the Window: Similar to Yuuki and all the Kurans, she has brown hair and eyes.
- Driven to Suicide: Juuri kills herself in order to provide the cost neccessary to cast a powerful spell that alters Yuuki's race from a vampire into a human.
- Happily Married: To Haruka.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: Which is why she enrolled in a human high school when she was younger.
- Mama Bear: Practically the only example in the entire series.
- Masculine Girl, Feminine Boy: With Haruka.
- Rapunzel Hair: Like all female Purebloods, her hair is long as hell.
- Really 700 Years Old: Was about three thousand years old before she finally died.
- Rebellious Princess: Juuri is known to take matters into her own hands, even against the wishes of her husband, who wanted her to stay inside to protect her from harm. It took great pains for her to sneak out and seek out her old friend Kaien.
- Say It with Hearts: Oh so much with Haruka and her. Complete with Love Bubbles too.
- Sickeningly Sweethearts: With Haruka, but they make it look adorable. That is, if you forget about the, er... squicky-ness of it.
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: Which is probably why she chose Haruka over Kaien and Rido. Though to be fair to Kaien, Juuri was already married to Haruka and their meeting was the catalyst that started Kaien's change in personality; had Juuri met the Kaien we all know and love today and she wasn't married to Haruka, who knows what might've happened...
- A bonus chapter shows why Rido never had a chance in hell: apparently he likes when Juri resists him and he can't get enough of the hate in her eyes every single time they clash, which meant he was an evil monster to her on purpose.
- Tsundere: Especially dere-dere for Haruka, though at first she was emphasizing the "Tsun" part.
- Umbrella of Togetherness: A whole flashback side chapter revolved around this idea—with her looking back on it with both irritation and fondness. When it was raining while she attended a human high school, she got really irritated that Haruka would follow her home and even hid all the umbrellas except for the one he was carrying. When she demanded for an explanation, Haruka replied—Haruka: It's because I wanted to share an umbrella with you...Juuri: ... Are you stupid?!
- Unwanted Harem: Is The Archie in two love triangles—Haruka/Juuri/Rido and Haruka/Juuri/Kaien.
How can I stay behind and let my child protect me? Don't destroy my pride of being a father, please.
Kaname's and Yuuki's father, Haruka is the husband of Juuri. Supposedly, Haruka's and Juuri's deaths were the result of suicide. It was later revealed that they were murdered by Rido instead. He is also Rido's and Juuri's brother.
- BrotherSister Incest: Married his sister Juuri.
- Curtains Match the Window: A staple of all Kuran men - brown hair and eyes.
- Happily Married: To Juuri.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: Ends up dying when he's impaled through the heart with a Hunter's sword, one of the few things that can kill a Pureblood.
- Keet: Downplayed but Haruka is known to act somewhat more feminine and lively than Juuri at times.
- Masculine Girl, Feminine Boy: With Juuri.
- Papa Wolf: Do not mess with his children. You will die.
- Really 700 Years Old: Lives to be three thousand before dying at Rido's hands.
- Say It with Hearts: Oh so much with Juuri and him. Complete with Love Bubbles too.
- Sickeningly Sweethearts: With Juuri, but they make it look adorable. That is, if you forget about the, er... squicky-ness of it.
- Youngest Child Wins: Haruka isn't the youngest child, but he is the youngest brother who ended up winning the affections of his sister Juuri over his older brother Rido.
Alike... You look like Juuri. I've changed my mind. You will replace Juuri, and let me love you.
Rido is the true main antagonist for the first half of the story. He is also Shiki's father and the older brother of Haruka and Juuri. Rido had unrequited feelings for Juuri and was resentful of Haruka's and Juuri's marriage. Rido returns to Cross Academy in order to devour Yuuki and take her power. He is also the one who resurrected the Ancestor of the Kurans — Kaname — from his grave. Thus, Kaname is unable to kill him. After possessing his son and infiltrating Cross Academy to revive his true body, he wreaks havoc with his legion of slave vampire and attempts to take Yuuki as his new wife after her revival as a Pureblood. Thanks to Zero helping her out, Rido was finally defeated and killed, though not before a bit of his blood was absorbed by Kaname, which to this day, taunts him with the dilemma of his decisions.
- Arranged Marriage: Was arranged to marry Shizuka Hio but she leaves him for someone else. He kills the poor bastard.
- Big Bad: Of the first half of the story.
- BrotherSister Incest: Has unrequited feelings for his sister Juuri, who instead married their other brother Haruka.
- The Chessmaster: Oh so much.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: Hates Haruka with a passion for "stealing" away Juuri.
- Creepy Uncle: He was more than willing to live out his incestuous fantasy for his sister through his niece. Ew.
- Defeat Equals Explosion: In both the manga and anime, although portrayed differently, this is his final fate at the hands of Zero.
- Early-Bird Cameo: Even before he was ever mentioned, he first appears possessing a young boy who Yuuki meets and leads her into a vampire ball. One can tell it's him due to the red and blue eyes the boy had at the time.
- Evil Uncle: The uncle of Yuuki and Kaname.
- Love Makes You Crazy: Willing to do anything to get Juuri to like him, even the most insane things. In a bonus chapter, Juri telling him why she doesn't want to be with him because of his psychotic nature doesn't deter him; in fact, it makes him want her more!
- Love Makes You Evil: Doesn't care how heinous his actions are, if it nets him Juuri, it's worth it.
- Really 700 Years Old: Older than Haruka and Juuri, as he was the eldest and they were both around 3000 years old at the time of their deaths.
- The Resenter: Very much indeed. Disliked the fact that his arranged fiancee Shizuka Hio was in love with a vampire who used to be a human enough that he imprisoned Shizuka and falsely placed Shizuka's lover on the Level E list so that he would be killed by the hunters. Oh, and he was a sore loser about the whole Haruka/Juuri thing too.
- Yandere: Because Love Makes You Crazy And Evil.
I cannot forgive the person who forgot his purpose in life and played with those weak, yet strong, lives that instinctively continued to hope. There's no way I could silently keep watching.
A woman from Kaname's past. She sacrificed herself to forge the first weapons for the Hunters to wield. Introduced in the second arc and her spirit reappears again through the Hunter Metal in an attempt to kill all rouge vampires. Her first kill in this form was Sara Shirabuki and the woman would've continued on if not for the fact that it was reassured that Kaname would continue her work and she passed on peacefully.
- Closer to Earth: Can see the bigger picture and plans accordingly.
- The Gwen Stacy: The Ancestor of all Kuran's first love and he loses her due to cruel fate.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Sacrifices her life to give the humans a fighting chance against the growing threat of the renegade Pureblood vampires and their brethren.
- Implied Love Interest: She and Kaname were implied to have had feelings for one another, but to what extent is unknown.
- No Name Given: We never did find out her name.
- Posthumous Character: Kaname refers to her as his main and true motivation for his long life.
- Rapunzel Hair: Her hair is huge
Two girls in the last pages of the final chapter after a thousand years have passed since the story of Vampire Knight has come to an end. They appear to be in their late teens look-wise, but it's unknown how much older they most likely are. Both are children of Yuuki but they both have different fathers, which makes them half-siblings. After Zero's death, Yuuki shortly sacrifices her own life to revive and transform Kaname into a regular human, tasking her dutiful children to watch over Kaname for the rest of his days.
- Affectionate Gesture to the Head: What the girls love receiving from Zero. Kaname himself does this years later.
- All of the Other Reindeer: Poor Ren experiences hardship during her adolescent years from other fellow vampires, being viewed as "dirty" and an abomination due to being half-pureblood. Luckily she inherits her father's stoicism and iron will, as well as having supportive friends and family telling her that she is worthy; this is especially true from her sister, Ai.(Poor Ai listening to the whispers of other vampires regarding her sister) Is that...that pathetic girl who couldn't be born as a pureblood...half of her blood comes from that father of hers...purebloods are so precious now...Ren: (Reassuring Ai as they walk together) I don't care about that. I'm not as upset as you are, Onee-sama.
- Ambiguous Gender: It's really not easy to tell whether Ren is a boy or girl. In Vampire Knight Memories, Chapter 18, it is confirmed that Ren is a girl. Chapter 19 takes this further as it shows Ren growing up, and she was pampered by Ai in girl's clothing, complete with long flowing hair.
- Bi the Way: Ai once had a crush on Zero when growing up, but after Ren was born, she becomes very attached to her deeply. It is unknown if Ai's love for her half-sister is pure sibling love or as intimate lovers. It was confirmed in Chapter 22, she has romantic feelings for Ren since she felt joy and happiness after being kissed by her.
- Butch Lesbian/ Lipstick Lesbian: The same holds true for Ren, as she's shown struggling with her own feelings towards Ai growing up: pure love for a sibling or something more? It is suggested that her feelings lean more towards the latter since Ren considers Ai her beloved person; not once did Ren show any interest in men growing up, even during her academy years. It was confirmed in Chapter 22, she has romantic feelings for Ai since she kissed her.
- Babies Ever After: While they're teenagers (in appearance), they would serve as this.
- Berserk Button: Ai starts losing her temper whenever other vampires treat her half-sister, Ren and adoptive father, Zero, poorly, especially when they accuse her father and sister of having "dirty blood polluting the pureblood line". As a result, her own impressive powers start fluctuating out of control and her victims end up suffering the consequences.
- Making a fool of Ai in front of Ren is another one, though this is treated more humorously during the Drama CD when Zero shows Ren an embarrassing photo of Ai during her childhood years from Kaien's photo album. She swears to Zero that she'll get her revenge...which she shortly does when Ai fires back with an embarrassing photo of Zero, one that even he didn't know existed.
- Bifauxnen: Ren bares a strong resemblance to her father, Zero, and at her current age, she is often dressed in masculine clothing. Not the case during her childhood years, as VKM Chapter 19 showcases her with long hair and feminine clothing.
- Boyish Short Hair: Ren sports this at her current age, confusing many readers for a time as to what Ren's gender was. People were convinced she was a boy until the reveal of VKM Chapter 18, with Chapter 19 solidifying her gender as a girl.
- Cool Big Sis: When Ren was growing up, Ai was very protective and always looked after Ren when their parents aren't around. She still is to this day.
- Cooldown Hug: Ren and Ai give each other this whenever one is upset with something.
- Cry Cute: During Kaien's last moments, he dies seeing Ai's crying figure over his body, as she desperately tries to save his life and, realizing the futility of her actions, comforts him as best as she could.
- The Cutie: Ai was essentially this as a child, especially whenever she's around Zero. She's still this at times during her adult life, though this happened less often with Zero due to her maturity and oddly more with her grandfather Kaien. However, this trope is enforced in full whenever she is around Ren during her childhood years.
- This trope applies to Ren as well, as she was absolutely adorable around her parents and sister growing up.
- Curtains Match the Window: Ai has brown eyes and hair and Ren has silver eyes and hair.
- Daddy's Girl: Both girls love their father, Zero, and seek every opportunity to hang around him, sometimes literally as Zero ends up carrying them in his arms as he travels from place to place. When they're both grown up, they seek affection from him in the form of head pats.
- First Love: Unsurprisingly, Ai grows up first loving her adoptive father Zero normally, then goes on to develop deeper feelings for the man. She later gives up when she realizes she has no chance of breaking Zero and Yuuki apart, though she continues to love Zero as a father.
- Finishing Each Other's Sentences: Siblings have a habit of doing this with each other, most likely due to their close relationship growing up.
- Incest Subtext: Both Ai and Ren are rarely seen without each other in their teenage years, constantly cuddling with each other in order to comfort one another. It remains to be seen whether it's pure sibling love or as intimate lovers. It implies in Memories Chapter 21 and 22 that they are intimate lovers.
- Long Hair Is Feminine: Ai sports this nearly all her life. Ren also had this growing up before cutting her hair and settling for her father's look.
- Meaningful Name: "Ai" (愛) means true unconditional love and "Ren"(恋) means romantic love. When combined together to be Renai, it means to pursue romance, something both siblings are aware of, since people tend to point out that observation and laugh. At that point, they simply let that fact wash over them, too used to the laughter to care anymore.
- Mindlink Mates: What Ai believes she has with her younger sister Ren, which started even when Ren was a baby; Ren "sensed" Ai's sadness and went to go comfort her as best she could. That...and the fact that Ren wanted Ai's blood.
- No Name Given: Until different bonus chapters revealed the brown-haired girl's name to be Ai, and the silver-haired girl to be Ren.
- Parental Abandonment: When we see them, Zero is dead, and Yuuki sacrifices herself to make Kaname human, apparently leaving him in their care.
- Precision F-Strike: Ai loses herself in anger when she meets with an old woman vampire that was obsessively sending her letters, which implored Ai to separate herself from her father and sister, blaming them for all the terrorist actions rouge vampires had been inflicting on the community and further accusing them of being "dirty".Ai: Shut up! Hold your tongue, you bitch! You, with your filthy washrag thoughts! Don't you dare relate those shitty acts, committed by scum, with my beautiful little sister!
- Precocious Crush: Ai adores Zero as her father figure growing up, and eventually crushes on him when she becomes a teen. In the end she backs off as she realizes his only love is her mother.
- Really 700 Years Old: Ai is about a thousand years old while her half sister's age remains unknown, though it probably applies to her as well. During Ren's childhood, Ai mentions that she was 70 years old at the time, placing both siblings 70 years apart from one another in age. It doesn't really matter since both girls look like they are in their teenage/young adult years.
- Those Two Girls: Ai and Ren are always seen together and never seen apart.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Ren is the tomboy and Ai is the more feminine sibling.
- Who's Your Daddy?: It was unknown to the readers whether Ai was biologically Zero's or Kaname's, until the release of an extra which confirmed her to be Kaname's. This still doesn't stop Ai from thinking of Zero as her father, even more so than Kaname, since Zero was there to raise her all her life growing up.
- Yandere: Downplayed and treated as a joke by Ai when she voices her desire to make Zero hers. Failing that, she wants Zero and Yuuki to hurry up and conceive a child already so she can make her sibling all hers; it's revealed that she wants to dress her sibling up in all the clothes she wants and take as much blood from them to her hearts content. Whether or not she did this with Ren is unknown.
- Ren may also be struggling with this, as she voices an inner desire to want to drink her sister's blood "down to the last drop" and become "one with her for all eternity". She realizes how twisted this desire is and tries to distract herself by taking blood from her parents and practicing her shooting skills. She's even afraid of what will happen if Ai learns of this dark desire, thinking that she won't be loved by her anymore if she doesn't maintain the "perfect" little sister image.