Character sheet for Unlucky Hero.
A quiet mage who'd rather read than interact with people.
- Basement-Dweller: He sleeps in the basement and other characters occasionally mock his girlfriend-less state.
- The Call Knows Where You Live: If Jasper had his way, he'd never have gotten involved in anything and would just sit at home reading. Unfortunately for him, The Call decided to burn down his house with all of his books in it.
- Character Development: Grows from misanthropic to far more hospitable over the course of the game.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Determined Defeatist: He's not exactly thrilled with Christel's plans to bring peace and love to the masses and thinks she's a little daft for it, but he goes along anyway.
- Fashionable Asymmetry: Wears a single long earring in his right ear.
- Friendless Background: Nobody likes mages (except for maybe other mages, but mages are pretty rare these days due to active persecution).
- The Hermit: He lives in a small shack up in the mountains at first and would be more than content to stay there.
- Heroic Neutral: Jasper is a good guy, but he doesn't want to get swept up in everyone else's business.
- Hidden Heart of Gold: He just wants to be left alone, but Jasper is really a nice guy deep down and doesn't like to see others get hurt. It's just that standing up for others when they're hurt tends to get you hurt as well, and if people know you'll stand up for them, they start to expect it all the time and that's just a bother.
- Hikikomori: He prefers to stay inside and read, rather than go out and interact with people. He's not afraid of going outside, per se; he just doesn't like dealing with humans.
- Humans Are Bastards: His views of humanity at the start of the game are not kind. Then again, most humans have been pretty awful to him up until that point.
- Humans Are Flawed: He eventually comes to see humans in a more positive light.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: At the start, he mentions that he never asked to be born a mage.
- Innocently Insensitive: Jasper hasn't a clue why telling Carnellia that few men could stand up to her "brute strength" would upset her - he was complementing her strength!
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: He tends to be rather dismissive of humanity in general, given that past interactions have taught him that other people are greedy, selfish, and not to be trusted. He doesn't seem to intentionally cultivate a facade, but some people perceive him as a little insensitive.
- Knight In Sour Armor: Okay, maybe only most people are jerks and there are some who are worth fighting for and maybe the rest will become good enough in time...but Jasper isn't holding his breath.
- NEET: He briefly mentions he's been living off his parents' inheritance, which must have been pretty large considering he lost them twenty years ago and shows no sign of having ever held a job.
- No Social Skills: Because he hates dealing with people, those times he has to tend to come off a bit awkward.
- Oblivious to Love: Jasper has no idea that Carnelia has a crush on him. And as far as we know he never finds out, either.
- Refusal of the Call: When he witnesses Malachi invading the village near his house, Jasper simply makes it a point to get away as fast as possible and doesn't want to join in either side.
- Squishy Wizard: Consistently has the highest MP of the group (barely edging out Kyan), and the lowest HP.
- The Strategist: He's the only one who can order Tactics.
- Theme Naming: Jasper is a type of gemstone.
- Witch Species: Mages look exactly like humans, with seemingly no distinguishing features (possibly black hair?), yet normal humans can recognize them on sight.
The princess of Aquaria, the first city Jasper comes to after fleeing his home. Also the daughter of a slave couple that Jasper's family died helping.
- All-Loving Hero
- Distressed Damsel: Very often in some manner of trouble because she chose to believe the best about the wrong person...again.
- Everything's Better with Princesses: Though she isn't a royal by birth; she's actually the daughter of two escaped slaves that founded a town on freedom.
- Heroes Want Redheads: Has quite a bit of Ship Tease with Jasper.
- Just the First Citizen: The townspeople are more likely to refer to her as a princess than she is to refer to herself that way.
- Modest Royalty: Her dress is fairly simple and she has no problem walking among the common people and helping out around town where she can.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Slavery is outlawed in Aquaria, a rare thing in this world, and all people are treated equally, meaning commoners are as important as royalty. She's also more than willing to listen to Jasper, despite the fact that most people wouldn't even let a mage in their house, much less ask his opinion.
- Rose-Haired Sweetie: Cotton-candy-colored hair and a sugary personality to match.
- Royals Who Actually Do Something: Well, try to do something. She's not particularly good at the "doing" part, being physically weak and nonmagical. Her speeches about the ideals of freedom and The Power of Friendship do far more good.
- Theme Naming: An obvious play on crystal.
Christel's little sister and a veritable spitfire.
- Chainmail Bikini: Her upper body is reasonably well-protected, though the armor has separate cups for each breast. Her lower body sports nothing more than a skirt and tights more fitting a Japanese schoolgirl than anyone going into battle.
- Modest Royalty: She's a princess. Her armor is not particularly gaudy or otherwise impressive, and she wears no crown despite being a princess like her sister.
- Shoulders of Doom: Her armor includes a nice set of pauldrons.
- Theme Naming: Carnelian is a semi-precious gemstone.
The second-in-command of Aquaria.
- Demonic Possession: Became the host body to Dark Lord Obsidian.
- Evil Chancellor: He plots to use Christel to inspire an army he can use to Take Over the World and install her as a puppet queen by getting her little sister Carnelia killed at the hands of bandits - or killing her himself, blaming it on Jasper, and then killing him so he can't say otherwise; either works.
- Obviously Evil: Those squinty, shifty red eyes should give him away. If not, his actions will.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: They're an orangy shade in his portrait, but bright red in his sprite.
- Theme Naming: Amethyst is a gemstone, ironically believed to protect against drunkenness and insanity.
- Yandere: Has a reeeaaally unhealthy obsession for Christel.
The mage leader of the Chalcedony Empire.
- Knight Templar: He wants to make a better world for mages, even if that means the 99% of the world that isn't a mage is much worse for wear.
- Theme Naming: Malachite is a green stone.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Malachi seeks to conquer the world in order both to make it a better place for mages and to stop Obsidian.
- Ax-Crazy: Murder and arson are his favorite kinds of fun.
- Cute and Psycho: He looks just like an innocent little boy, but don't be deceived.
- Freudian Excuse: Lapis was abused terribly by his parents. When they finally decided to kill him, he lashed out, burning them alive.
- Perpetual Smiler: Before you learn his name, he's identified as "Smiling Child."
- Playing with Fire: He loves setting Jasper's house on fire, and burned his parents alive when he snapped under their abuse.
- Theme Naming: Lapis lazuli is a deep blue semi-precious gemstone.
A female knight who joins Malachi early on.
- Because You Were Nice to Me: Mocked for being a woman who sought to join the military, she is recruited by Malachi, ruler of the Chalcedony Empire, at the start of the story and treated with trust and respect, becoming one his greatest generals and adviser. She eventually falls in love with him.
- Braids of Action: A long, thick blond one.
- Chainmail Bikini: While her armor covers her quite nicely, it also doesn't hide her figure in the slightest. At least she does sport a more practical uniboob design as opposed to Carnelia's separate cups.
- Color-Coded for Your Convenience: Sapphires are blue; Sapphira is the woman in blue armor.
- Lady of War: Yes, she's a knight, but that doesn't mean she's going to get down and dirty.
- Mercury's Wings: Her headband/helmet sports a pair of wings.
- Rapunzel Hair: Her braid reaches down past her hips.
- Theme Naming: The sapphire is a well-known blue jewel.
The leader of a bunch of bandits.
- Bare Your Midriff: Assuming you can call what he wears a shirt; otherwise, he's a Walking Shirtless Scene.
- Cute Little Fangs: Gains one when he gives a big, open-mouthed grin.
- Defeat Means Friendship: After you beat him and he hears Christel's speech about improving the world, he joins your team.
- Fashionable Asymmetry: His one-shouldered armor, and it's possible that he only has an earring in his left ear (you don't get to see his right ear, so we never learn if there's a ring in it or not).
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: A single thin line under his left eye.
- Hair Decorations: Wears a thin white headband to keep his hair out of his face.
- Hot-Blooded: He can even feel his own blood boiling over!
- Theme Naming: Sardonyx is a variety of onyx whose bands are made of red sard.
A member of your team. Many of his attacks are animated to resemble a stage magician (e.g. releasing doves from his sleeves), but he's not a mage.