Beware of major spoilers. Proceed at your own risk.
The main character of the story, and was presumably a close friend to the late Laura Barns who committed suicide a year ago.
- Ain't Too Proud to Beg: Desperately tries to appeal to her and Laura's friendship in the past to try and save herself. It doesn't work.
- Asshole Victim: Blaire took part in the cyberbullying that drove Laura to suicide and she filmed the video that started it all.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Blaire filmed the video of Laura, which led to her suicide, sat back and allowed her friends to be tormented and eventually killed by Laura instead of confessing, threw both her boyfriend and his best friend (whom she slept with behind her boyfriend's back) under the bus, and crashed Jess's mother's car while drunk. Even Jess is genuinely shocked that Blaire would screw her boyfriend's best friend.
- Break the Haughty: Watching all your friends get murdered can do that to a girl. Although considering the fact that she gladly handed her so-called friends over for the slaughter, it's more likely that she knew that the amount of distractions she sent Laura's way were only going to last so long before her time ran out.
- Consummate Liar: As befits The Sociopath, most everything Blaire says is either a lie, a half-truth, or an attempt to manipulate somebody else. Even when all her friends are dead and faced with an otherworldly entity, she still seems to think she can play on Lauras emotional sympathies to save herself.
- Dirty Coward: When it boils down to it, she would gladly sell out her own friends and send them to their deaths to give herself a few extra minutes of life. And when it's just her and Laura, she's a snivelling pathetic mess begging for mercy.
- Establishing Character Moment: The film begins with Blaire watching the suicide video of Laura Barns, which doubles as Foreshadowing, and not long afterwards while flirting with Mitch, she gets turned on when he playfully threatens her with a knife over Skype. This makes it clear Blaire isn't the typical female protagonist in a horror movie, and is far from innocent to quality as a Final Girl.
- Face of an Angel, Mind of a Demon: Blaire looks like an innocent, attractive young girl, Beneath, she's a selfish, cowardly person who is heavily implied to be an outright sociopath.
- The Fake Cutie: Blaire puts on this persona to hide her true cunning nature.
- Final Girl: Subverted. Seems to be this at first, before The Reveal that she isn't innocent, isn't a virgin, and is responsible for vengeful ghost Laura in the first place. She only dies last either because Laura wanted her to suffer first, or because she was hoping Blaire would confesses, which she never does.
- Girl Next Door: Subverted: Blaire has the look, but fakes the personality.
- Hate Sink: Blaire is ultimately a selfish, cowardly and treacherous monster who turned on Laura and partially caused her suicide, gives up her friends to save herself and generally has almost no positive or redeeming traits.
- Killed Offscreen: Quite literally, as her laptop is closed within the final moments of the movie, before Laura lunges at the viewers.
- Jerkass: She hides it by putting up a cute facade, but as the film shows shes spitefully petty, extraordinarily craven to the point of selling out her friends just so she can keep sucking air a little longer, cheats on her boyfriend behind his back and drove Laura, which to make it worse was an old friend of hers, to suicide For the Evulz.
- Karmic Death: Because she gleefully humiliated and drove Laura to suicide without a flicker of remorse and nothing but twisted satisfaction for the deed, its extremely satisfying that she dies at the hands of her bullying victim an undignified, humiliated, broken mess all alone and with only herself to blame for her plight.
- Lack of Empathy: She has no issue letting her friends die if she thinks it will save her and doesn't seem to have any remorse for playing a part in Laura's death to begin with.
- Redemption Rejection: All she had to do to save herself (and her friends) was confess to what she did and take responsability for her actions. She never does. Near the end, even after reading that the only way to survive is to confess her sins, Blaire still adamantly refuses to acknowledge her involvement as the cameraperson until Laura posts the unedited video on her Facebook, revealing it to the world and marking the end of Blaire's last chance for redemption. Death follows immediately after.
- The Sociopath: Show signs of being this throughout the film, especially since literally all she'd have to do to save her friends and even save herself is confess to what she did and take responsibility for her actions. Instead, she avoids doing so like the plague, gets her friends killed, and desperately tries to weasel her way out of the consequences of what she's done and refuses to admit to doing.
- Too Dumb to Live: Blaire keeps making idiotic decision after idiotic decision as the movie goes by, which is especially apparent in the Chatroulette scene.
- Villainous Breakdown: By the time her head is up for the chop, she's a bawling, pathetic mess, futilely holding on to the delusional thought that Laura will spare her for some reason.
- Villain Protagonist: She betrayed her friend by gleefully humiliating her and driving her to suicide through rampant cyber-bullying, starting the whole mess in the first place. And then she proceeds to kill her friends off rather than confess her sins to Laura, showing that she's a horrible person deep down.
- Walking Spoiler: It's pretty clear that she is not exactly who she says she is.
- Weight Woe: According to Jess, Blaire starves herself and has an eating disorder.
- What You Are in the Dark: Played with, then subverted: Blaire is possibly given a chance to save her friends and herself by confessing, but she reveals herself to be a Manipulative Bastard all the way until the end.
- Your Cheating Heart: Cheated on Mitch with Adam. More than once.
Blaire's boyfriend and best friend to Adam
- All Guys Want Cheerleaders: Blaire has a cheerleader trophy in the background of her room, and while flirting with her on Skype, he does a cheerleader like celebration with Blaire after she promises to have sex with him after prom.
- Asshole Victim: Mitch took part in the cyberbullying campaign against Laura and may or may not have posted the video of Laura after Blaire filmed it.
- Eye Scream: How he dies as Blaire sells him out to Laura in the final game.
- Knife Nut: Played with. He puts on this trope to seduce his girlfriend Blair, and drops it immediately just as their friends interrupts their cybersex. His knife is eventually used against him as Laura's ghost forces him to stab himself in the eye, killing him.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: He's arguably the least reprehensible of the cast, especially if you believe that it was Blaire that had posted the video of Laura online, not Mitch.
- Nice Guys Finish Last: He's shown to really care about Blaire and is willing to wait until she is ready to give him her virginity. Too bad his not so nice best friend Adam already had sex with her behind his back.
Blaire's main female friend after her childhood friendship with Laura Barns went sour for unknown reasons.
- All Love Is Unrequited: Is hinted to be in love with Adam, and was especially devastated by his death. You can also see her cringing and crying when Blaire is describing her second encounter with Adam, as she clearly is bothered by the notion of her crush having sex with a different girl.
- Asshole Victim: Jess bullied Laura along with everyone else, even going as far to deface her own grave.
- Break the Cutie: Not only does she witness the death of several people, but it's also revealed that her crush willingly tried to sell her out just to save his own skin.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: Her death is right up there with Ken's in nastiness, consisting of getting a burning hair straighetener shoved down her throat.
- Really Gets Around: According to Adam and Val.
Mitch's rich best friend and known bad boy around high school.
- Asshole Victim: Adam bullied Laura along with everyone else. It also doesn't help that he's an overall Jerkass to his friends and slept with Blaire behind Mitch's back. And not only that he also roofied a girl and forced her to get an abortion. At least, according to Mitch's accusations during Never Have I Ever.
- The Alcoholic: He is frequently drunk, including in the movie.
- Boom, Headshot!: How he dies.
- But Liquor Is Quicker: Roofies a girl at a party, as revealed by the "Never Have I Ever" game.
- Date Rape: As mentioned, he roofied some girl at a party and had sex with her.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: Especially when he's drunk.
- Jerkass: Possibly the biggest one in the group, especially when he deliberately leads the 'Never-have-I-ever' game at one point out of spite.
Friend to Adam and Mitch, mainly because he can get them drugs through a connection with a dealer.
- Asshole Victim: Ken not only participates in the cyberbullying against Laura, but also verbally says that Laura got what she deserved.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: His hand is forcibly shoved into a running blender, and during his attempt to break the glass he's forced to press his throat against the blades.
- Do Not Taunt Cthulhu: Despite Laura now being a murderous ghost with a chip in her shoulder, he still has the gall to talk smack about her and mock her death pretty much to Laura's face. Suddenly it comes as no surprise that his death was one of the more painful and gruesome.
- The Cracker: Is revealed to be the most computer savvy of the group. It doesn't help them.
- Fat Bastard: He's both overweight and a total dick.
- Jerkass: Prides himself on being this.
- Smug Snake: Has this personality.
Valerie "Val" Rommel
An Alpha Bitch and possible enemy of Laura Barns at their high school. She isn't well liked but tolerated by the others.
- Alpha Bitch: Has this personality. It's hinted that she was competing with Laura Barns for Queen Bee status.
- Asshole Victim: You probably get the idea by now. Not only did Val also participate in the cyberbullying against Laura, but she also rejected an apology from Laura and explicitly told her to kill herself. Ironically, her death is the least horrific, since Laura has more of a grudge on the friends who betrayed her than she does on someone who was always her enemy.
- The Friend Nobody Likes: Despite the other members hanging out with Val (she is at least under the impression she is liked), they all can't stand her. However, when Val appeared to have died on-camera and her video connection gets cut off, everyone doesn't hesitate to try and call her to check if she's okay and are frantic when they're unable to.
- Ill Girl: Blaire states that Val used to have seizures in the past.
- The Stoner: Is revealed to be this thanks to ghost Laura.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: Val enters the Skype chat late in the movie and only stays about ten minutes before Laura sends a threatening message to her. She returns moments later-but has already been killed by Laura.
Laura Barns / Billie227
A high school student who had committed suicide after a humiliating video of her degrading party incident ends up viral online. A year later, she presumably returns to enact vengeance on those directly responsible for her death.
- Alcohol-Induced Idiocy: The reason Blaire was able to record the video in the first place.
- Alpha Bitch: Hinted to be the reason so many people were cyber bulling her after the embarrassing video.
- Batman Gambit: Personally harasses Blaire in a way that makes her suspect Val might be behind it. Blaire invites Val to skype, which is what Laura wanted, because she hated Val most of all in life and wanted to kill her first. With that said, she currently hates her so-called "friends" even more.
- The entirety of the Never Have I Ever game, where she starts off asking the questions but ultimately manipulates the group to the point where they turn on one another and Adam and Mitch start willingly asking questions. This culminates in her sending a printed message to both Adam and Blaire that they cannot read aloud or show anyone or else one of them dies, and she fully expects one of them to crack and get the other killed, which turns out to be Blaire to Adam.
- Big Bad: Laura is the main threat even though Blaire is the Villain Protagonist.
- The Cracker: Vengeful ghost Laura has elite hacking skills with all electronic devices far beyond just laptop computers.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Both on the receiving and giving ends. She was an Alpha Bitch that was bullied and she subsequently murdered everyone who bullied her.
- Driven to Suicide: The premise of the film.
- Et Tu, Brute?: Her friend Blaire was the one responsible for creating the video that would soon end up posted online.
- Evil Former Friend: To Blaire.
- Evil Has a Bad Sense of Humor: Once or twice, when the group's in a particularly bad emotional place (for instance, when Blaire's infidelity was exposed) Laura feels it necessary to chime in with a comically apropos tune from Blaire's spotify.
- Freudian Excuse: Blaire doesn't reveal it in full, but from what she was attempting to type, Laura may have been molested by her Creepy Uncle as a child.
- Jerkass: She was a bully in life, and a deadly Troll in death.
- Pay Evil unto Evil: Undoubtably the mindset behind her methods of dealing with Blaire and her co-conspirators.
- Pet the Dog: Her Facebook memorial reveals she once saved a young boy from drowning.
- Playful Hacker: Despite being The Cracker variant, some of the things she does are simple pranks.
- Potty Failure: The "Leaky Laura" moniker she earned was from the Youtube video of her black-out drunk and having soiled herself.
- Reality Warper: Her spirit can hijack people's accounts to post private information, impersonate a cop when Ken tries to call for help, make memes of her friends gruesome deaths, and force people to kill themselves.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: Her actions throughout the movie are to get revenge on her former friends for ruining her life.
- Troll: Harasses the Skype users with basic internet hacks before killing Val and showing that the situation is a lot more serious. Lampshaded by the Skype users calling Laura an internet troll beforehand.
- Tranquil Fury: Despite being undoubtably enraged over her former friends driving her to her death, her messages, despite being filled with taunts and death threats, are very articulate and mockingly playful at times.
- Wham Line: "I wish I could forgive you, Blaire."
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds: Laura may be a murderous spirit and former bully, but she was viciously cyberbullied (even by her former best friend) to the point where she took her own life. And based on a brief comment Blaire wrote to Adam, she may have been sexually abused by her uncle.