List of Characters from Unbreakable Machine Doll
Raishin Akabane is the main male protagonist, Yaya's puppet master, and indentured servant to Shouko.
- Accidental Pervert: It's not his fault every woman he meets seems to assume he's a pervert. That's less him falling into such situations than the women he meets being crazy, though.
- Almighty Janitor: He's ranked second last yet is strong enough to challenge some of the top competitors.
- Arranged Marriage: He mentions having been engaged before his family was wiped out. He plans to annul it.
- Book Dumb: English is not his first language, so he ended up with a lower rank than he might have. He's very clever otherwise.
- Butt-Monkey: He can barely go an episode without some woman twisting his words and making him look like a pervert.
- Cain and Abel: With his brother, Tenzin. Tenzin is the prodigy while Raishin was kicked out. Then
- Cast from Lifespan: Yaya's powers are fueled by his magic, and it's slowly killing him.
- Catchphrase: "Don't say things that will invite misunderstandings." Almost always said in response to Yaya making him seem like a pervert.
- Celibate Hero: Despite having gathered a harem he has no romantic interest in them, and has to actively refuse Yaya's advances.
- Chronic Hero Syndrome: He always has to help those in need, even when it's a risk to him.
- Embarrassing Nickname: He gets registered as "Second Last" by Kimberly, both because it's his overall rank and because she thought it was funny.
- Just as Planned: He's very good at manipulating his opponents into foiling themselves.
- Kung-Fu Wizard: He fights alongside Yaya when he can, which is unusual since most mages try to stay out of fighting.
- Made of Iron: His injuries honestly should have killed him several times over, which is doubly ridiculous because he's actually been said to heal slower than the average human.
- The Mole: Shouko uses him to gather intel and materials at her whim.
- Revenge: Seeks revenge against Tenzin for his deceased sister.
- She Is Not My Girlfriend: See Catchphrase above. Yaya always assumes the worst, and the other women aren't much better.
- Unwanted Harem: He'd really rather not have all these women fighting over him.
Yaya is one of the main female protagonists in the series. She is a Bandoll. This means she is a Puppet who has human components. She has real human blood and skin. She is the second of Shouko's Setsugetsuka sisters. It's hinted that Yaya is actually a machine doll, though it is unknown just how complete she is at the moment. Yaya, like Sigmund must also consume food to maintain her body functions. Raishin indentured himself to Shouko to become Yaya's Puppeteer.
- Artificial Human: She was made by Shouko using some human parts.
- Badass Adorable: Cute and can hit like a freight train.
- Barehanded Blade Block: She can stop pretty much anything thanks to her special ability.
- Because You Were Nice to Me: Raishin treating her nicely causes her to fall for him, even if it means disobeying Shouko.
- Become a Real Boy: She thinks Raishin would like her better if she were human.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Always assumes other women are out to steal Raishin from her.
- Dangerously Short Skirt: Wears a very short kimono. Thankfully, Magic Skirt is also in play.
- Establishing Character Moment: Introduced whispering a love spell into Raishin's ear and then stopping a train.
- Genki Girl: Is very energetic, loud, and often brash.
- Rapunzel Hair: She has waist-length hair.
- Shameless Fanservice Girl: She'll strip down or flash Raishin on a whim if she thinks it will lead somewhere.
- Super Mode: During the battle with Sin, she enters one to protect Raishin, turning her hair white and growing a horn from her head. The otherwise invulnerable Sin wound up with two cracked forearms from just one kick.
- Super Speed: She can move incredibly fast.
- Super Strength: She's introduced stopping a train.
- Super Toughness: Her power hardens her body, making it as durable as carbide.
- Third-Person Person: She speaks of herself in the third person almost constantly.
- Yandere: Played for Laughs, as she'll choke Raishin when she thinks he's being unfaithful.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Grade A. That's a very tiny skirt for a human-looking doll.
A second year puppeteer at Walpurgis Machinart Academy. She is one of the top students at the Academy. She aspires to be the Wiseman, and because she doesn't want to feel bad about going against friends that she refuses to make friends.
- A-Cup Angst: She's jealous of her sister having bigger breasts, and stuffs her bra to compensate.
- Affectionate Nickname: Raishin calls her "Dinosaur Girl", given her nickname and dragon automaton.
- Big Sister Instinct: To her sister, who she's willing to commit terrible things to keep safe.
- Code Name: Tyrant Rex, stemming from her dragon automaton.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Her family name was ruined when one of their automatons attacked the Prince.
- Dragon Rider: She'll ride on Sigmund's head when he's transformed.
- Hero with Bad Publicity: She's forced into trying to kill the headmaster to save her sister, which isn't helping her already poor family name.
- Nice Hat: Sports a beret with her uniform.
- Proper Tights with a Skirt: Fitting her ladylike and Ojou nature.
- Rapunzel Hair: Her hair reaches down to her waist.
- Tsundere: She insults Raishin at just about every opportunity she gets. When he's about to win an argument with her, her responses range from shouting "Shut up!"/"That's not it!"/"Idiot!" to unleashing her Automaton on him. She even outright refuses his help at one point (despite having received his help before when she needed it), to the extent of threatening to kill him if he insisted on helping her.
A third year student and the owner of Rabi. She is the older sister of Loki.
- Badass Cape: Sports the same black cape as her brother.
- Cleavage Window: Just to help show off that she has huge breasts, which annoys Charlotte.
- Code Name: Silent Roar -> Surround Roar, stemming from her dog automaton with the sonic bark.
- Cordon Bleugh Chef: If the salted cookies she made Raishin are any indication.
- Cute Clumsy Girl: Her assassination attempts are undone by this.
- Epic Fail: All her attempts to assassinate Raishin are adorably incompetent, and most she ends up triggering herself by accident.
- Heroic Albino: She's a rare specimen which has greater magical affinity than normal humans, and a heart implant which amplifies this caused her albinism.
- Mystical White Hair: Is albino and in possession of the same magical abilities as her peers.
- Nice Girl: Her seeming lack of social skills and assassination attempts aside, she's actually rather kind and helpful, if a little laconic.
- Rei Ayanami Expy: White hair, red eyes, pale skin, shy and quiet personality and a mage.
- Shrinking Violet: Shy, quiet and insecure.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: She's the submissive one to Loki's assertiveness.
- Took a Level in Badass: After getting a pack of automatons like Rabi.
- Zettai Ryouiki: With garters.
Loki, also known as the Sword Emperor, is the younger brother of Frey, the master of Cherubim, and a participant in the Night Party.
- Badass Cape: Dons a theatrical black one.
- Big Brother Bully: Comes across as one to Frey, despite being the little brother. It's ultimately revealed to be misguided affection.
- Big Brother Instinct: Inverted since he's the younger sibling. His bluntness and harsh words are attempts to keep her out of harm's way.
- Big Little Brother: He's actually the younger sibling.
- The Dog Bites Back: After he and his sister were experimented on by Bronson, he finally gets to take Bronson down with Raishin's help.
- Heroic Albino: He has the same modifications as Frey.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Though he's mean to Frey, he does want whaat's best for her.
- Mad Libs Catch Phrase: "I am a benevolent and tolerable guy, but there are three things I simply can't stand: people who order me around, people who try to oppose me, and people who [whatever thing is currently annoying him]".
Real name Tenzen Akabane, Magnus is Raishin's aloof older brother, responsible for the murder of his sister and their entire clan.
- Aloof Big Brother: His tone barely changes, even when Raishin is accusing him of murder. He won't even admit to being Tenzen, though he doesn't bother to deny it, either.
- Amazon Brigade: He has six female Bandoll automata.
- Mad Scientist: All of his Bandoll were made from young girls, one of which is his own sister.
- Worthy Opponent: He admits that Raishin has the potential to pull an upset in the Night Party, and indeed wants him to.
Head of the Disciplinary Committee, Felix is ranked fourth and one of the Rounds.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Plays the nice guy act to hide that he's a borderline psychopath.
- Faux Affably Evil: Especially when he reveals his true colors. He continues to offer Raishin a chance to work with him while planning to throw Charlotte under the bus.
- Frame-Up: He pins the Cannibal Candy attacks on Charlotte to deflect suspicion.
President of Divine Works, a Machinart studio from which Loki, Frey, and their automata originate.
- For Science!: He justifies experimenting on humans as necessary for scientific progress.
Head of the Night Party Executive Committee and a member of the Rounds. Ranked tenth.
- I Have Your Wife: He forces Charlotte to make assassination attempts on the headmaster lest he kill her sister. The interesting part of this is at no point is her sister actually held hostage. His Battle Butler, Sin, is just so freakishly powerful that he could kill her on a whim.
- The Reveal: After his plans for Charlotte are foiled, it's revealed he is really Alice Bernstein, who is using Cedric's form.
Head of the Machine Physics department and member of Nectar, an enforcement organization that tracks violations of Machinart law.
- Hypocrisy Nod: She has a habit of pointing out some sort of character flaw (accusing Magnus of acting "lordly" by watching a battle on high or saying Shouko likes her secrets), only to immediately add that she is guilty of the same and is no position to judge.
- Stern Teacher: She gives Raishin a lot of flak for being second last, since he has to take a bunch of make-up classes.
The school doctor and all-around womanizer.
- Ironic Name: The guy named cruel is anything but. Perhaps a bit annoyed with Raishin injuring himself constantly, but that's it.
- Teacher/Student Romance: Not technically a teacher, but nevertheless has several student flings and hits on Henriette the first chance he gets.
The school headmaster.
- Large and in Charge: Compared to most of the cast, he is extremely well-built.
Charlotte's automata, a Bandoll made from a dragon.
- Cool Old Guy: Between his calm nature and advice to Yaya, he can come across as this.
- Flechette Storm: Luster Flare, a barrage of energy bolts designed to take out limbs and paralyze opponents.
- I'm a Humanitarian: He's said to have eaten humans in the past. He sticks to cooked chicken these days.
- One-Hit Kill: Assuming his beams hit something, they will almost assuredly vaporize it. Even Yaya would be struck down by this attack. It's quite a surprise when Sin survives several hits.
- Our Dragons Are Different: He's a magically empowered dragon that shoots energy beams.
- Parental Substitute: Is one to Charlotte, often cautioning her and attempting to play the mentor with her.
- Parrot Pet Position: Spends most of his time riding Charlotte's shoulder when in Sleep-Mode Size.
- Shoulder-Sized Dragon: Is one of these in his Sleep-Mode Size.
- Sleep-Mode Size: He spends most of his time in a smaller form slightly bigger than a parrot.
- Wave Motion Gun: His Luster Cannon, a straight beam of light that melts whatever it his.
Frey's doll, a Bandoll made from a large wolf breed. She later gets an entire pack of similar dolls.
- Blood Magic: He can catalyze Frey's blood into more magic power, increasing his size but also rendering him uncontrollable. Understandably, this isn't good for Frey, either.
- Make Me Wanna Shout: He has a sonic bark.
- The Nose Knows: He can track magic by scent.
- Theme Naming: Rabbi and the rest of the pack all have names starting with 'R'.
Loki's doll, a purely mechanical doll.
- Awesome, but Impractical: His series is extremely powerful, but also horribly expensive and not suited to mass production. As a single unit, however, he's pretty good.
- Blow You Away: His magic circuit generates air pressure.
- Transforming Mecha: Can transform into a giant, self-guided sword.
Felix's automaton, a Bandoll which can assimilate the magic circuits of other dolls.
- Cannibalism Superpower: Cannibal Candy can eat and then integrate the magic circuits of other dolls, gaining their powers. By the time Raishin fought it, it had 47 different powers to call on.
- It Only Works Once: Cannibal Candy can only use one magic circuit at a time, and the circuit must be ejected to activate another. This means any power it has is lost once it switches to another.
Shokou's personal attendant and the first of her Setsugetsuka sisters. Like Yaya, she is a Bandoll.
- An Ice Person: She has the ability to freeze things, potentially over an area the size of a city.
- Big Sister Instinct: She promised Komurasaki that she would freeze anyone who tried to hassle her.
- Cool Big Sis: To Yaya and Komurasaki.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: With both her sisters. She's level-headed and mature while they're both varying degrees of Genki Girl.
- Silk Hiding Steel: Is very calm and graceful, but implied from time to time to be in possession of just as much power as Yaya.
The third of Shouko's Setsugetsuka sisters, and a Bandoll like the others.
- Genki Girl: She takes after Yaya.
- Girlish Pigtails: Fitting her childish nature.
- Invisibility Cloak: Her magic allows her to render herself and anyone else invisible to the human senses. Those with heightened senses, like Frey's automaton dogs, can see through it.
Alice's automaton and butler. He is a machine-doll, capable of operating completely independent of a puppeteer.
- Battle Butler: Serving tea one moment and beatdowns the next.
- Combat Pragmatist: He likes to attack from behind using his Flash Step.
- Extremity Extremist: He favors kicking things, using sharp jabs as a finishing move.
- Flash Step: He can pretty much teleport at will.
- Mad Libs Catch Phrase: "I am a humble Granville butler, but if I had one flaw it would be [random thing]."
- Nigh-Invulnerability: He is incredibly hard to kill, able to take a sustained beating from Yaya and several hits from Sigmund with only some burns to show for it, the latter being something that would even kill Yaya. Only Yaya's Super Mode was able to inflict significant damage to him.
- The Worf Effect: It takes Yaya's Super Mode to meaningfully hurt him when he fights Raishin, but he tells his master that Magnus was able to overwhlem him with just one of his six dolls.