Amethyst van der Troll
The leader of the BFFL. She is a total sweetheart, and acts as the heart of the BFFL. She's generally kind and eager-to-please, but can be hard on herself in tough situations. Amethyst was the last of her friends to get her gem glow, and finds she's a natural spellcaster. Her boyfriend is the cute, clumsy Coal, and her Ancient is her grandma.
- Affectionate Nickname: Her grandmother calls her "Ammy".
- Audience Surrogate: For the first few episodes.
- Badass Adorable
- Beware the Nice Ones
- Birds of a Feather: With Coal.
- Cute Clumsy Girl
- Cute Witch
- The Everyman: She doesn't have as much development as the other BFFLs. She's just nice and harmless.
- Extreme Doormat: At first.
- The Heart: Her gem is even shaped like one.
- The Heroine
- Naïve Newcomer: At least to casting spells.
- Nice Girl
- Pink Means Feminine: Pink is her main color.
- Rose-Haired Sweetie: Pink-haired, sweet, nice and friendly.
- The Von Trope Family: Well, she's Dutch-American so she has "van", not "von".
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Pink hair.'
Ruby Trollman is the second-in-command the BFFL. Coming from a rich family, she can be spoiled, self-centered, and abrasive, and has trouble asking for help or admitting when she makes mistakes. Ruby's also not the best spellcaster, but she has nerves of steel and never backs down from a challenge. Her boyfriend is the muscle-bound Rock, and her Ancient is Obsidian.
- Badass Adorable: She storms Simon's lair and saves her friends with Coal and Rock's help.
- Curtains Match the Window: Averted in her case, as her red hair is dyed to match her eyes. Her real hair color is brown.
- Cute Witch
- Dark-Skinned Redhead: She has dark skin and bright red hair.
- Famous Ancestor: Accordng to Obsidian, Ruby's a direct descendant of King Trollemange the First. Her last name, "Trollman," is even a watered-down version of "Trollemange."
- Fiery Redhead
- Inferiority Superiority Complex: In the first episode, she kicks Amethyst out of the group because she feels like Amethyst is better than her.
- Jerkass: She's a bitch to all of her friends (mainly Rock, Amythest, Sapphire and Topaz). However...
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold:...she's also the most determined to help her friends if they're in trouble. A later story arc emphasizes this when she realizes her friends are acting mean like she does at times, so she vows to clean up her act.
- The Lancer
- Lovable Alpha Bitch: Unlike Coral, Opal and Jade, Ruby is redeemed by the fact that she cares about her friends.
- Red-Headed Hero: She has bright red hair and is one of the heroes. She's the one who rescues everyone in the last arc.
- Spiky Hair: Her hair sticks up in all directions.
- Spoiled Brat: She's well-off and not afraid to flaunt her wealth.
- Stealth Pun: Her hair is star-shaped; she literally is the star of the BFFL.
- Tsundere: To Rock.
- Unskilled, but Strong: She's not the best spellcaster but she's very strong.
Sapphire Trollzawa is smart and ambitious, and takes studying and learning more seriously than her other friends. She can be shy at times, but Sapphire knows quite a lot about history, science, and much more, making her useful in dangerous situations. Her boyfriend is the nerdy Alabaster, and her Ancient is Mr. Trollheimer.
- Asian and Nerdy: She's a smart girl of Japanese descent.
- As Long as It Sounds Foreign: "Trollzawa'' sounds like some Japanese name with the word "troll" added to it.
- Badass Adorable
- Badass Bookworm: She's defeated Simon many times and faced a volcano.
- Cute Bookworm
- Cute Witch
- The Dark Side: Fell victim to this in episode 11.
- Meganekko: Though she rarely wears her glasses.
- Nerd Glasses: She has a pair of large round ones.
- Nerdy Nasalness: She has a nasal voice.
- Shrinking Violet: Can be this at times.
- Shy Blue-Haired Girl
- The Smart Girl
- True Blue Femininity: Wears blue as her theme color.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair
Onyx von Trollenberg
Onyx von Trollenberg is a not-so-scary goth. She has morbid interests and can be sarcastic at times, but she's a genuinely good friend who's willing to listen, even if she strikes off alone at times or has trouble asking others for help. Onyx is not good at driving, but is good at casting spells. Her boyfriend is the emo poet Flint, and her Ancient is Spinell.
- Badass Adorable
- Beauty Mark: Has one near her upper lip.
- Cannot Tell a Lie: She's very honest.
- The Chick:
- Cute Witch
- Dark Is Not Evil: She's got dark purple hair and dark clothes but she's one of the heroes.
- Deadpan Snarker: She has the sharpest wit of the BFFLs.
- Drives Like Crazy: She's not good at driving her Skoot.
- The Gadfly: In the first episode, as a joke she tells Amethyst, "Squeal with delight and then I'll puke." When Amethyst looks confused and upset, Onyx smiles and says "Come here, you" before hugging her.
- Goth: Her cultural interests involve rock music and she wears dark clothes.
- The Heart
- Odango Hair: Her hair is two giant buns.
- The Von Trope Family: She is German, so it is natural that she has this kind of name.
- Weak, but Skilled: She's not a fighter like Ruby is but she's good at casting spells.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Purple hair.
Topaz Trollhopper is a fashionista, and isn't always aware of what's going on at times. Silly, sweet, and serious when she has to be, Topaz tends towards the quirky side of things, which can help her friends in a bind. Her boyfriend is the hip-hop cool guy Jasper, and her Ancient is Zirconia.
- Alliterative Name
- Badass Adorable
- Beware the Silly Ones
- The Big Girl
- Cute Clumsy Girl: In her first appearance she has trouble removing her Skoot helmet.
- Cute Witch
- Demonic Possession: She got possessed by Simon in "Topaz Possessed".
- The Ditz
- Dumb Blonde: Has her moments.
- The Fashionista
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: She's the blonde of the group and she's a nice, helpful girl.
ObsidianThe operator of the spell shop at the Trollzopolis Mall, Obsidian has a very wide array of knowledge. Though she mentors all five of the BFFL as a whole and was the first of the five Ancients that the girls met, Obsidian's definitely the closest to Ruby Trollman, especially since Obsidian is Ruby's Ancient. Obsidian's advice can sometimes be cryptic, but she generally has a good reason for keeping secrets. She and the other Ancients fought Simon 3,000 years ago.
Grandma van der TrollOne of the five Ancients who is not only Amethyst's grandmother, but is also her granddaughter's Ancient. Similar to Obsidian, while Grandma van der Troll is obviously closer to Amethyst than the other four members of BFFL, she mentors all five of them as a whole and is always eager to listen or help if the situation calls for it. She is knowledgeable about spells, and has several magic artifacts in her possession for safekeeping.
Mr. Slate Trollheimer
- All There in the Manual: His first name was revealed in episode summaries.
- Butt-Monkey: He tends to get injured/captured a lot and often has other embarrassing things happen to him.
- Cool Teacher
- Cool Old Guy
- Mentor: Similar to Amethyst's grandmother and Obsidian (as well as the fact he's the science teacher to all five of the girls), Mr. Trollheimer mentors all five of the BFFL as a whole, but is closest to Sapphire.
- Older Than They Look: While the other four ancients all look suitably old, Mr. Trollheimer looks young enough to be the father of the BFFL.
- Silver Fox: He's a pretty good-looking guy for someone who's supposed to be well over 3,000-years-old. Sapphire even commented that she finds Mr. Trollheimer attractive.
Topaz's Ancient who also happens to be Spinell's wife. She fought Simon long ago alongside the other Ancients, but it came at a cost—he imprisoned her within a tree for 3,000 years, draining her magic. At first, Topaz was in denial of Zirconia being her Ancient, but eventually came to accept it, especially when she and Zirconia bonded over a common interest in fashion. Much like Topaz, Zirconia can be rather quirky, but she's also a powerful sorceress and has a psychic powers.
- And I Must Scream: Spent 3,000 years as a tree, while conscious the entire time.
- Baleful Polymorph
- Cool Old Lady
- Dreaming of Things to Come
- Happily Married: To Spinell
- Savvy Guy, Energetic Girl: Energetic Girl to Spinell's Savvy Guy.
- Sealed Good in a Can
Onyx's Ancient who also happens to Zirconia's husband. Much like his wife, Simon imprisoned him for 3,000 years—this time as a fire-breathing dragon made to guard the tree Zirconia became. Spinell tends to be snappy and sarcastic, but is good at magic, even if the long imprisonment drained his powers some. And just like his wife, Spinell has psychic powers.
- And I Must Scream: Spent 3,000 years as a dragon who couldn't talk.
- Cool Old Guy
- Cursed With Awesome
- Deadpan Snarker
- Happily Married: To Zirconia.
- Hen Pecked Husband: Zirconia tends to make him do much of the heavy lifting.
- Savvy Guy, Energetic Girl: Savvy Guy to Zirconia's Energetic Girl.
- Scotireland: His accent is like this.
The main villain of the series. Simon is a gremlin who's over 3,000 years old, and was banished to the Shadow World for imprisoning two of the five Ancients, turning most of the good magic evil, and destroying the world of the Trollz as they knew it. His actions led to magic being greatly reduced for Trollz. Once the BFFL accidentally free him, he intends to finish what he began and conquer the world—but luckily, the Magic of the Five can put an end to his evil plans. Simon isn't one to give up so easily, though, and returns again and again to take over Trollzopolis.
- Big Bad
- Creepy Child
- Creepy Crossdresser: In one episode, he disguised himself as a girl troll named Garnet.
- Cute Little Fangs/Fangs Are Evil
- Evil Is Petty
- Evil Laugh
- Evil Redhead: He's ginger and is evil.
- Griping About Gremlins
- Not-So-Harmless Villain: He's comical but in the penultimate arc he takes over Trollzopolis.
- Really 700 Years Old: He looks and sounds like a little kid, but yet he's apparently well over 3,000-years-old.
- Sealed Evil in a Can
- Supernatural Gold Eyes: Being a magical gremlin, Simon has these.
- "Uh-Oh" Eyes: When disguised as a troll his pupils are larger than others'.
- Yellow Eyes of Sneakiness
Simon's sidekick and pet. Snarf looks like a cute puppy, but can transforming into a ravenous, rampaging ogre-beast at will. Luckily, Snarf isn't too bright, and he tends to be banished alongside his master whenever their plans are foiled.
- The Dragon
- Evil Laugh
- Precious Puppy: Subverted.
- Non-Human Humanoid Hybrid: Snarf is said to be half ogre and half dog. Which leads to squick about how he came about, he did mention having a mother once...
- One-Winged Angel
- Ridiculously Cute Critter: Except when transformed.
- Sealed Evil in a Can
A dragon Simon employs to guard Zirconia's tree. His true form is actually Spinell.
Amethyst's boyfriend. Coal is cute and clumsy, and is generally the most sensible of the boys—but he does have a mischievous side now and then. He rides a hoverboard.
- Distaff Counterpart: He's mild-mannered like Amethyst.
- The Hero
- The Klutz: The first time we see him he trips over a garbage can and drops a surfboard on his foot.
- Only Sane Man: He's the only one of the boys who thinks going to the Amber Caves to get magic is a bad idea in "The Day the Magic Died".
- Nice Guy
- Not So Above It All: When the boys start pelting each other with sacred amber, he tries to stop it. Then he gets hit with amber himself he joins in on the fight.
- Taken for Granite: He's turned into ice when the Trollz cast a spell on him to make him "cool". Fortunately he's turned back.
Ruby's boyfriend. Rock is all muscle, and isn't too bright, but his love for Ruby and determination to help are sincere.
- Amicable Exes: He was Sapphire's boyfriend for three years but she broke up with him for unknown reasons.
- Baleful Polymorph: He's turned into a dog by Simon in "When Good Girlz Go Bad".
- Big Eater: According to his character bio, he can eat 23 Trollburgers in one sitting.
- The Big Guy
- Distaff Counterpart: He's a single-minded fighter like Ruby.
- Dumb Muscle: Well he is played by Ed.
- Green-Eyed Monster: He's jealous of the fact that girls can use magic and the boys can't.
- Simpleton Voice: Matt Hill uses his Kero voice for Rock.
Alabaster Trollington III
Sapphire's boyfriend. While nerdy, Alabaster comes from a rich family, and his state-of-the-art technology has helped the BFFL more than once.
- Badass Bookworm: He uses his tech smarts to save Coal and Flint from falling into a chasm.
- Bully Magnet: He gets picked on by the rest of the boys for being a nerd.
- Cannot Spit It Out: He's in love with Sapphire but he's too shy to tell her how he really feels.
- The Comically Serious: He doesn't have much of a sense of humor, which makes him a Bully Magnet for the other boys.
- Distaff Counterpart: He's a bookworm like Sapphire.
- Expy: Of Double D, who is also voiced by Sam Vincent.
- Gadgeteer Genius: He builds state-of-the-art technology.
- Gentleman Snarker: He has his moments, such as in "Onyx's Gem" after the BFFL fail their gymnastics routine.Coal: What do you think, Alabaster? Think they have a shot at beating the seniors?
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: Had blond hair and is a nice person.
- Lovable Coward: He found a way into the Amber Caves but he didn't go in very far. Later in "The Day the Magic Died" he only went in further because he had the other boys with him.
- Nerd Glasses: He has a pair of thick rectangular glasses.
- Nerd: He doesn't get involved with the other boys' antics a lot. His character bio states that he's "less of a poindexter and more of a Clark Kent", and that there is a classy, cool side to him.
- Nice Guy: The nicest of the boys besides Coal.
- The Smart Guy
- Pair the Smart Ones: With Sapphire.
- Smug Super: He's overconfident about going into the Amber Caves because he thinks he has the technology to get magic via the Sacred Amber. His GPS and fishing line come in handy; his pickaxe does not.
- Spoiled Sweet: He's a nice guy whose father happens to be a multi-millionaire.
- The Team Benefactor: He provides the resources on some of the trolls' missions. In "The Day the Magic Died" some of his gadgets have gotten the other boys out of trouble.
- Young Entrepreneur: He's an aspiring business-troll.
Topaz's boyfriend. He used to have hair until a hair-removal spell was cast, but dug how it went with his hip-hop style. Jasper likes parties and music, as well as being cool—but what he likes most is being himself.
- Bald of Awesome: He's bald and has a lot of self respect.
- The Bully: He has shades of this. He makes fun of Alabaster a lot.
- Distaff Counterpart: He's fun-loving like Topaz.
- Fun Personified: He likes parties and music. Of the boys he's the life of the party.
- Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow: Jasper is seen with an afro at first. Then Amethyst's spell makes him lose his hair permanently. He gets over it pretty quickly.
- He-Man Woman Hater: Because girls have magic and boys don't, he becomes convinced that men are systematically oppressed by women.
- Jive Turkey
- The Lancer
- Token Minority: Of the boys.
Onyx's boyfriend. Flint is an emo poet who plays a rocking guitar, and while his poems may be out-there his heart is in the right place.
Coral, Opal, and Jade
A trio of cheerleaders at Trollzopolis High School who're frequently mean to the BFFL. Coral in particular is spoiled, haughty, and perpetually stuck-up.
- Alpha Bitch: All three are this, but Coral's definitely the biggest one.
- The Cheerleader: All three are this, with Coral even being the head cheerleader for Trollzopolis High.
- Evil Laugh: Coral.
- Fiery Redhead: Coral.
- Girl Posse: Opal and Jade.
- Jerkass: Even moreso than Ruby.
- Laser-Guided Karma: In the third episode, they give "late passes" to the BFFL, but when Principal Trollercrombie discovers them, he explains to the BFFL that THS-students can only get late passes from the office, meaning that the late passes Coral, Opal and Jade gave them were fake. While he's nice enough to let the BFFL off with a warning (especially once the girls make it clear that they had no idea that the passes were fake), he ends up chewing out Coral, Opal and Jade for what they did and punishes them by giving them detention. Of course, Coral blames the BFFL for her and her friends getting in trouble (even though it was their own fault), going so far as to claim that BFFL "squealed" on her and her friends.
- Those Two Bad Girls: Opal and Jade don't really have any role in the series outside of being Coral's friends/fellow cheerleaders.
- The Voiceless: Opal and Jade don't talk at all throughout the series, except for one episode.
Mica and Shale
Villains for episodes 7-9. Mica is a hotshot Skoot racer, while Shale is his girlfriend, and they have designs on Sapphire to help Mica win the big race.
- Arc Villain
- Exotic Eye Designs: Subverted; Shale wears contacts.
- HeelFace Turn
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold
The test subject for many of the Spell Moments, whether he likes it or not.
- The Chew Toy / Iron Butt Monkey: Each episode has a "spell moment" where one of the BFFL uses Kaboom as a test subject for a spell and Hilarity Ensues. No matter what happens to him on each spell moment, his next appearance shows no residual effects.
- The Dog Bites Back: The spell moment in "Not-So-Good Old Days" features Ruby using a spell to make Kaboom's ears grow abnormally large. Kaboom uses a caller ID that makes the spell afffect Ruby's ears as well.