Navigation: Main | The Trollhunters | The GummGumms | Other Humans | Other Trolls | Other Characters
The overworked single parent of Jim Lake.
- Action Mom: She's the mother of the current Trollhunter and has an Orange Belt in Krav Maga.
- Adaptational Nice Guy: In the book version, it was her that abandoned Jim, not James Sr.
- Ambiguously Trained: She knows Krav Maga, an aggression-based martial art that is commonly practiced by military personnel. Since the only visual instance of her ex-husband - James Lake Sr. - is a photograph of him in an army-green mess dress tuxedo with medals pinned to it, it is likely that she served some form of military service just like he did, or at least worked as a military M.D. at one point in her life.
- Amnesiac Lover: Due to the spell that broke her curse with Strickler, she forgot about most of the events of Trollmarket and Angor Rot. Season Three reveals that she has been having dreams and faint recollections of that night, expressing them through her paintings, only to remember completely by end beginning of "Parental Guidance."
- Ascended Extra: Never made an appearance in the books, but is a supporting character here.
- Back to School: A photograph in her living room shows her dressed in graduation attire with a younger Jim standing next to her, implying that she graduated from Medical School at some point after her husband left her.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Barbara is a kind woman but can and will defend her son from any danger.
- Brainy Brunette: Downplayed. Barbara is a doctor but has orange-brown hair.
- Dating Catwoman: Not that she knows he's kinda evil, but she is dating Strickler.
- Fiery Redhead: Zigzagged. Barbara has orange-brown hair, is quite even-tempered, but does have her limits.
- Good Parents: Barbara is an understanding, kind and protective mother to Jim.
- Hidden Depths: She may be a bad cook but she is shown to be an exceptional artist as she produces impressive paintings of her memories of the troll world.
- Hospital Hottie: Employed as a doctor and is reasonably attractive.
- Innocent Blue Eyes: Blue eyes to match her kind, warm nature.
- Interspecies Romance: She (a human) and Strickler (a changeling). Although, she's unaware of his real species.
- Labcoat of Science and Medicine: Often seen wearing a white labcoat and is a doctor.
- Lethal Chef: In contrast to her son, Barbara is a terrible cook, burning or mishandling virtually everything she makes.
- Mama Bear: "Angor Management" has Barbara ready and willing to help her son fight off Angor Rot.
- Meganekko: Rarely seen without her glasses.
- Morality Pet: Strickler genuinely cares for her.
- The Needs of the Many: When Gunmar tries to use her as leverage to make Strickler free Morgana, she begs Strickler not to, telling him that her life is not worth the death of the world. Unfortunately, he cares too much about her.
- Parental Obliviousness: Is completely in the dark of her son's trollhunter double life.
- Teacher/Parent Romance: Strickler is a changeling troll that works as a teacher in her son's school and they form a romance later on.
Jim's absentee father.
- Adaptational Jerkass: In the books, Jim's father was overprotective and did not leave. Here, he left his family to be with his girlfriend.
- Adaptation Name Change: His last name was "Sturges" in the books.
- Adapted Out: In the books, it's mom that's gone missing and James Sturges Sr. who is taking care of Jim.
- Demoted to Extra: He left when Jim was about five and has never made any contact with either his son or Barbara. Here, he's only mentioned.
- Disappeared Dad: Abandoned his wife and son to be with his girlfriend.
- Four Eyes, Zero Soul: Downplayed. A portrait of him shows he wears glasses and while not a villain, he's a jerkass.
- The Ghost: Has been mentioned numerous times, but has not made an official appearance in all three seasons of the series.
- Jerkass: He ran off on Jim's fifth birthday. From what Toby describes, he was last known to be living with his girlfriend in Vermont as a ski bum.
- Strong Family Resemblance: If the portrait is anything to go by, he looks like an older and bespectacled version of Jim.
- Your Cheating Heart: Left his family to be with his girlfriend.
Toby's grandmother and guardian.
- Beware the Nice Ones: In Season 3 after becoming aware of her grandson's status as a Trollhunter, she becomes quite proactive at protecting him. When Officer Scott sees Dictatious and all the other parents are panicking, she simply knocks him out cold with a shovel.Nana: Oh, don't be such a bunch of daisies, help me move the body. *laughs*
- Big Fun: She's as portly as her grandson, if not more so, and just as sweet.
- Blind Without 'Em: She is legally blind without her glasses.
- Doting Grandparent: Deconstructed. Nana is quite doting towards Toby, but this often embarrasses him.
- Hidden Depths: In 3Below she proves to be a fair hand at chess, on top of displaying quite a ruthless streak in Trollhunters season 3.
- Mama Bear: When Javier accuses Toby of being trouble, Nana is quick to defend her grandson.
- Mysterious Past: Her taking the initiative and knocking out Officer Scott with a shovel when he sees Dictatious and then being a little too eager with "taking care of the body" implies that she may have had some form of less than wholesome experiences in her lifetime. In 3Below, she claims to have been a spy during World War I.
- Nice Girl: She's a sweet woman.
- Odd Friendship: She and Dictatious have similar taste in television, as it turns out, and like watching mysteries together while arguing over who did it.
- Outliving One's Offspring: To either her son or daughter, it's not known which, who died in a storm at sea.
- Scatterbrained Senior: She's an absent minded woman.
- Secret Keeper: When she learns about Jim, Claire and Tobys secret lives as Trollhunters in "Parental Guidance."
- Ship Tease: With Vex in 3Below.
Claire's mother and a councilwoman.
- Ascended Extra: Ophelia only had a handful of appearances in season 1 and 2 of Trollhunters but became more present in season 3.
- Education Mama: With her husband, as Claire bemoans that they would be upset if she received a "B" on a test instead of an "A".
- Parents as People: While Mrs. Nuñez does show affection towards her children, she can apparently busy with her career as Claire laments that he would have to check her schedule to remember her daughter's birthday.
- Secret Keeper: When she learns about Jim, Claire and Tobys secret lives as Trollhunters in "Parental Guidance."
- Strong Family Resemblance: Mrs. Nuñez resembles an older Claire with shorter hair and a lighter complexion.
- Unnamed Parent: Until season 3, where her first name was revealed to be Ophelia.
- Ascended Extra: Like Ophelia, Javier only had a handful of appearances in season 1 and 2 of Trollhunters but became more present in season 3.
- Education Mama: With his wife, as Claire bemoans that they would be upset if she received a "B" on a test instead of an "A".
- Overprotective Dad: In "Parental Guidance", he admits that LARPing and going out to risk their lives fighting trolls were a lot better than what he thought they were doing in secret.
- Papa Wolf: When a goblin attacked Claire in "Parental Guidance", Javier did not hesitate to grab said goblin by the throat and toss it in one of Claire's portals.
- Real Men Eat Meat: He refuses to grill soy hotdogs on his grill and only relents because of his wife.
- Secret Keeper: When he learns about Jim, Claire and Tobys secret lives as Trollhunters in "Parental Guidance."
- Unnamed Parent: Until season 3, where his first name was revealed to be Javier.
Claire's infant brother.
- Canon Foreigner: There's no mention of Claire having any siblings in the book.
- Cuteness Proximity: Is cute enough to make Jim react this way in "To Catch a Changeling".
- Demoted to Extra: Justified. Enrique's abduction became a central reason for Claire's involvement in Jim's Trollhunter life. So, once Jim rescues him from the Darklands, his presence is decreased.
- Invasion of the Baby Snatchers: Spends a large part of the series trapped in the Darklands after being kidnapped and replaced with a changeling.
- Latino Is Brown: Averted. Like his big sister, he doesn't have a dark complexion.
Arcadia Oaks High School Students
One of Claire's two best friends.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: She is shown to be close friends with both Claire and Darci.
- Multi-Ethnic Name: First name is a common western Judaeo-Christian name, and her last name is an equally common Chinese surname. Though Mari is a somewhat common in name its spelled with an "I" and pronounced a little differently.
- Phoneaholic Teenager: Mary is almost always on her phone, also has a habit of snapping pictures or video of anything she finds interesting.
- Really Gets Around: In as much as you can "get around" in a children's cartoon. As Toby puts it, Mary Wang is a player.
- Shipper on Deck: She's an active shipper of Jim and Claire. She also quickly jumps on supporting Steve and Aja being a thing.
One of Claire's two best friends.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: She is shown to be close friends with both Mary and Claire.
- Hidden Depths: Admits to Toby that being the school's mascot allows a break from popularity and gives her a chance to be herself.
- Secret Secret-Keeper: At somepoint early into season two of 3Below Toby told her about Aja and Krel. When the rest of the town finds out about the Royals, Darcy admits she already knew because she and Toby don't keep secrets.
- Shipper on Deck: She's all for Claire and Jim becoming a couple. subverted in a later episode when she and Mary think that Claire is seeing a college guy "on the side".
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: The real reason why she didn't accept Toby's invite to the Spring Fling was because he asked out every girl at school, meaning he was okay with anyone as long as he had someone. But, after listening to his sensitive and honest confession of his feelings for her (or the mysterious girl who was in the mole school mascot costume) she began to rethink her opinion on him.
- Tiny Guy, Huge Girl: She's noticeably taller than Toby, whom she begins a slow romance with in Part 2.
- Two First Names: Either "Darci" or "Scott" can be used as a first name.
- Who Wears Short Shorts?: Part of her default outfit.
A student at Arcadia Oaks High and Student Body Treasurer.
- Ascended Extra: Shannon gets a much larger role in 3Below, while still mostly a recurring extra she actually gets lines now. She is also a huge fan of Aja.
- Hufflepuff House/Recurring Extra: Unlike the various other minor characters, Shannon is almost defined by the fact that she is just window dressing.
- No Good Deed Goes Unpunished: When Strickler asks if anyone has a breath mint in "Airheads", Shannon offers one. Unfortunately for her, this was during the Touch-A-Truck-A-Thon, meaning she ends up getting disqualified because she removed her hand.
- Token Lesbian: In the second season of 3Below, with her death looming with the threat of a meteor hitting Arcadia, Shannon once again bemoans that she has never even been kissed. A girl next to her says the same thing, the two stare at each other for a second, smile, and kiss.
- Wrong Genre Savvy: In "The Reckless Club", she thinks that everyone is in detention because they are acting out during a stressful time of their lives. With the exception of maybe Mary, everyone else is there under false pretenses. Jim, Claire and Toby were blamed for the theft of Uhl's car by gnomes while Steve and Eli were following them, thinking that they were serving detention as some sort of supernatural mission.
Arcadia Oaks High School Staff
A Spanish teacher, who's actually Austrian.
- Berserk Button: He becomes antagonistic towards those that make prejudiced accusations towards his students, having come to the defense of Krel twice when people insult his intelligence because of his skin color.Birdie: Mr. Tarron has scored a hundred percent on every single math test. Highly unusual for his kind.
Señor Uhl: No. Stop right there. If you're just here to make unfounded accusations, then you can leave my school right now. [Turns to Aja and Krel.] I'm very sorry I brought you in for this.
- He also doesn't like the term "illegal aliens", likely due to being an immigrant himself.
- Germanic Depressives: Strict, sour, and utterly unforgiving, known to fail students in their presentations after committing a single mistake.
- Germanic Efficiency: He takes his job as a teacher very seriously, and he sets a really high bar for his students. Also, he is, at the very least, trilingual (seen onscreen speaking English, Spanish, and German).
- Hidden Depths: He softens up to Aja and Krel when he finds out that they have just fled their home after a coup and defends Krel whenever someone makes a racist accusation towards him, showing that he is not as depressive as his behavior may suggest. He may have even faced similar circumstances in his life, given that he himself is an immigrant, and finds the term "illegal aliens" offensive.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Becomes apparent in 3Below, where he is shown to go from angry and frustrated with Aja and Krel to rather protective.
- The Magnificent: Uhl "the Unforgiving."
- Sadist Teacher: As much as he plays favorites with Aja and Krel, he bullies other students in front of the entire class for making a mistake.
- The Precious, Precious Car: His truck, Susanna, which he loves more than anything else. Not that it'll stop him from using her to run over trolls on the day of the Eternal Night.
- Token Evil Teammate: Downplayed. In Trollhunters, out of all of the (human) members of the Arcadia Oaks High School Staff, Señor Uhl is the only one who lacks any sympathetic depth to him. He is shown to value his truck, Susanna over the well-being of his students (ignoring Jim and Steve attacking each other in "Airheads") and was willing to ignore Jim's overwhelmingly poor track-record if he took on the job of looking after Aja and Krel in his stead, showing little interest or concern on how a student could miss 40 days of school. Odds are he would not have had the authority to look the other way anyway (principle or not), but he clearly does not care. This is subverted in 3Below when he is given a few Pet the Dog moments with Aja and Krel, vowing to help them when he found out that they fled a coup and defending Krel when someone makes a racist accusation towards his intelligence.
Arcadia Oaks High School's PE and Health teacher.
- Broken Pedestal: His relationship with Steve takes a massive dive after he starts dating his mother in Season 2.
- No Indoor Voice: Bordering on Drill Sergeant Nasty.
- Parental Substitute: Tries being this to Steve, both as a coach and as his mother's boyfriend. He is more-or-less doing everything right, treating Steve with patience and respect, but his abrasive personality doesn't help.
Jim's algebra teacher and coordinator of the school play.
- Drama Queen: Who's also a drama teacher.
- Hidden Depths: In an aside conversation, she mentions that she feels tired and worn out with her job, that she wanted to make a difference in her students' lives but they don't seem to care. She's also the first to accept the trolls when their presence is revealed, speaking gently to them and inviting them into the shade.
Toby's orthodontist and Strickler's dentist.
- Creator Cameo: Voiced by Guillermo Del Toro.
- Deadly Doctor: He once killed a man in a wrestling match, and openly wonders if that can somehow translate into acting experience.
- Gratuitous Spanish: Drops this the few times he gets to speak. At one point, he gleefully sings "Cielito Lindo" (a traditional Mexican song) while he works away at a visibly suffering Toby.
- Meaningful Name: Muelas is Spanish for "back teeth", and he is a dentist.
Darci Scott's father and a member of Arcadia Law Enforcement.
- Overprotective Dad: He makes it clear from the get-go that he does not like Toby at all. Granted, his contempt is not completely unwarranted, pointing out the various crimes he has accumulated (breaking into the museum, allegedly stealing Senior Uhls car, etc.). While he still does not like him or the fact that he is dating his daughter, he at least has grown to tolerate him.
A guitarist and student of Arcadia Oaks Academy.
- Chick Magnet: Manages to gain the affections of a number of girls at Arcadia Oaks Academy.
- Unknown Rival: It is clear that Jim has not liked him since the moment they met given his flirting over Claire. Douxie and Claire, on the other hand, both seem completely unaware of this. If Douxie was attracted to Claire, it went out the window when Claire was possessed and he was freaked out by her behavior.