open/close all folders
Tom Riddle junior
- Badass Bookworm: You're as likely to find him in the library as in a duel with another student.
- Consummate Liar: Since he doesn't care either way, he never has to bother with keeping a straight face.
- Creepy Child: Yep, he was like this growing up too. Not that surprising when you think about it.
- The Cynic
- Evil Cannot Comprehend Good: The child version. When the Gryffindor Seeker is taken out by a bludger and taken to the hospital wing during a game, Tom can't understand that Gryffindor would forfeit their last match of the year because "worrying about their Seeker would keep them from playing well", as they obviously won't have to worry about getting a new Seeker until next year.
- Fantastic Racism: Inverted. He understands hating Muggles "for their weakness", and not, as far as he's concerned, because of historical Muggle witch hunts or anything like that.
- First-Name Basis: You can tell when Tom warms up to someone by the narrative starting to call them by their first name instead of their last.
- Freudian Excuse: Hinted at. Growing up in an orphanage during the Great Depression is not the most inspiring way to start life.
- Innocently Insensitive: The first time he calls Jana "Mudblood", he seems to think that's just the word for wizards born to Muggles, and Jana has to explain that it's actually a slur.
- Living Lie Detector: Has a talent for reading people's minds, although ironically he doesn't give it much thought.
- Meaningful Name: Tom's father is a mystery.
- Mind over Manners: Completely and utterly averted.
- Parental Abandonment
- The Resenter: Toward his dead mother.
- Telepathy: He can literally tune in to the thoughs of any person within sight, with the exception of Dumbledore's and, interestingly, Marca's.
- The Unfettered
- Ambiguous Disorder: It is clear that she has something, but Tom doesn't seem to mind.
- Antimagic: Apparently immune to Tom's telepathy.
- Badass Boast: "I am simply good at everything."
- Boring, but Practical: Cleaning Charms, as far as she is concerned.
- Captain Obvious: To compensate for lacking English skills.
- Comically Serious: A result of her tendency to take things completely literally.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Ice Queen: And unlikely to defrost.
- Literal-Minded: To the point that the only jokes she gets are puns.
- Punny Name: Shares her name with a brand of vodka.
- Russian Reversal: Seems fond of this.
- My Hovercraft Is Full of EelsProfessor Vassy: It's finite incantatem, not venetur incantatem, Antonin
- The Stoic
- Alpha Bitch: Her generation's Pansy Parkinson.
- Dreadlock Warrior: Though everyone just thinks of them as braids.
- Fantastic Racism: Inverted. Being pureblood, it is news to her that Muggles discriminate based on skin colour, and it hardly heightens her opinion of them.
- Meaningful Name: Her first name means "bright serpent"; her last name, "pain". Both fit.
- All Girls Want Bad Boys
- Chew Toy: Her Muggle parents disowned her because they don't like magic, has innocently acquired an enemy in Belinda, and her dueling partner is Tom.
- Graceful Loser
- Plucky Girl
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Tomboy to Valerie's Girly Girl
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Or sometimes bright red, or pink
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Remembers potions recipies by putting a melody to them.