This page is currently in construction. Help is much needed.
Xie Lian (谢怜)
- Beware the Silly Ones: All of Heaven consider Xie Lian a fool, until they learn that he is not only a competent swordsman, but also close to various powerful gods and the strongest demon of all.
- Broken Hero: Xie Lian was a wonderful crown prince of Xian Le, proud, regal, always in the right, and he ascended to godhood, except he intervened in the war of his own country, fell down, ascended again, fell again after only five minutes for picking up a fight with gods, and then spent a long time picking scraps and garbage, surviving however he could, and by the third time he ascends, he is a completely changed person... to the point the fact that he is willing to eat the food from the floor and sleep in the woods instead of seeking shelter at the other god's temples is embarrassing, horrifying and pitiful for Fu Yao and Nan Feng.
- Disguised in Drag: Xie Lian had to go through this twice to solve the cases. First as the bride to drive out whoever was killing the brides, and second as the pregnant mother to drive out the Undead Child.
- How the Mighty Have Fallen: Xie Lian was once a famous god, but after he intervened into his own country war, which ended with disastrous results, people stopped praying to him, destroyed all of his statues and temples and even later made very humiliating statues of him just so they could curse at him.
- I Have Many Names: Xie Lian is also known as Xian Le, His Royal Highness the Crown Prince, Hua Xie, Head Priest Fang Xin, and many more.
- Lethal Chef: The only person who can withstand his cooking is Hua Cheng.
- Loser Deity
- Royals Who Actually Do Something: Xie Lian is the Warrior Prince — he directly participated in the war because he wanted to help both sides and stop his people from killing each other. Unfortunately for him, it did not end well.
- Warrior Prince
Hua Cheng (花城)
- Bishōnen: Xie Lian's narration repeatedly emphasizes how beautiful he is.
- The Dreaded: Among the heavenly officials. When Xie Lian first reveals he ran into him, they're all shocked and horrified.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: Hua Cheng may be ruthless to his enemies and is generally evil, but if something happens to Xie Lian, that person is doomed. That applies to himself as well.
- Eyepatch of Power: His true form sports one.
- Hero Killer: Being a demon lord aside, he's also infamous for killing thirty-three gods and destroying their temples in one night.
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast: His title is Blood Rain Seeking Flower.
- Secret Keeper: He knew who "Ming Yi" really was the entire time, but he lets the other be as long as He Xuan doesn't involve Xie Lian in his plans.
- Sugar-and-Ice Personality: He acts both friendly and loving to Xie Lian and Xie Lian only; he doesn't give a fig for anyone else.
- Undying Loyalty: Hua Cheng has been a loyal follower of Xie Lian, ever since the latter saved Hua Cheng's life and gave him a reason to live.
Mu Qing (慕情)
- Character Tics: Rolls his eyes constantly. Especially when Xie Lian or Feng Xin are present.
- Clear My Name: He got wrongfully accused and imprisoned of being the father of Lan Chang's child Cuo Cuo, when in fact it was someone else. It takes breaking out, finding the mother and the child who escaped and the actual father coming in order to clear his name.
- Pretty Boy: Not unusual for the genre, but he's noted to be slender and pretty enough that most people would mistake him for a literature god rather than a martial god.
- Those Two Guys: With Feng Xin.
Feng Xin (风信)
- Archer Archetype: He prefers bow over sword anytime, and is deadly with it.
- Those Two Guys: With Mu Qing.
Fu Yao (扶摇)
- Character Tics: Just like his general Mu Qing, he also rolls his eyes.
Nan Feng (南风)
Jun Wu (君吾)
Ling Wen (灵文)
- Gender Bender: Because Ling Wen's status as a Literary god makes mortals think that she is a man, they built a lot of temples with male statues, thus making her stronger in male form, as opposite of Shi Qingxuan.
- Mission Control: Plays this role in the first few arcs.
- The Stoic: She's usually calm and collected.
Shi Qingxuan (师青玄)
- Break the Cutie: Gets it arguably the worst out of the cast.
- Cruel Mercy: After He Xuan kills Shi Wudu, a broken Shi Qingxuan asks him to kill him as well, but He Xuan refuses (it's anyone's guess whether he refused out of spite or because he can't bring himself to kill Shi Qingxuan). Considering what happens to Shi Qingxuan afterwards, death would have been a more acceptable fate.
- Dark and Troubled Past: He was a target of the Venerable of Empty Words as a child, whose main goal is to make his target suffer, and to avoid the curse they had to crossdress Shi Qingxuan to avoid the demon. It helped for a while, but the demon still found him and it took Shi Wudu's ascension to get rid of it.
- Gender Bender: The fact that he had to crossdress as a girl for years in order to get rid of the demon from his trail, made him love his female goddess form. Not to mention that many statues of his were made female, thus giving him more power in the female form.
- How the Mighty Have Fallen: After He Xuan enacted his revenge, Shi Qingxuan lost his brother, his best friend, became mortal and got crippled.
- Iconic Item: His fan, which carries his spiritual power.
- We Used to Be Friends: Any bond that he and Ming Yi may have had was shattered when Ming Yi reveals himself to be the demon lord He Xuan and kills Shi Wudu in front of him.
Shi Wudu (师无渡)
- Big Brother Instinct: HE would do anything to protect his brother Shi Qingxuan, even exchanging an innocent man's fate for his brother's in order to save him, or provoking the demon king to kill him on his own instead of making Shi Qingxuan do it.
- Create Your Own Villain: He's indirectly responsible for the existence of "Black Waters Sinking Boats".
- Defiant to the End: Shi Wudu considers it his victory that he and his brother lived for so many years in prosperity, while He Xuan, whose whole family is dead because of Shi Wudu, can't get anything back."EVERYTHING I HAVE TODAY, I FOUGHT FOR MYSELF. I WILL FIGHT FOR WHAT I DON'T HAVE. I WILL CHANGE FATE I DON'T POSSESS. MY FATE IS UP TO ME AND NOT THE HEAVENS!"
- Off with His Head!: He Xuan kills him in this manner.
Ming Yi (明仪)
- Big Eater: Is almost always seen eating in large quantities. Turns out it's from the trauma of starvation.
- Dead All Along: In two ways - the real Ming Yi turns out to have been killed a while back, and the man currently impersonating him is a ghost.
- A Wolf in Sheep's Clothing: He is actually the demon He Xuan disguised as the Earth God.
Pei Ming (裴茗)
- The Casanova: Was a womanizer in his mortal life, but when he ascended, his preferences expanded from mortal women to fairies, lady officials, female ghosts and demons, as long as they are beautiful. It went to the point where mortals started worshiping him as God of Love.
Pei Su (裴宿)
Lang Qianqiu (郎千秋)
- Hot-Blooded: Lang Qianqiu is so passionate about everything, that he can't stand shady business, almost blowing his own cover; is generally the type that acts/attacks first, thinks later.
Quan Yizhen (权一真)
- Ambiguous Disorder: Has No Social Skills, will repeat a question word for word if he doesn't get an answer, and has to be stopped from tasting strange substances.
- Blood Knight: Has loved fighting ever since childhood.
- No Social Skills: To the point where it affected the plot, leading to the fallout between him and Yin Yu.
- Quirky Curls: He's noted to have curly hair, and he's certainly nonconformist.
Qi Rong (戚容)
- Attention Whore: Qi Rong just wants to be noticed... by almost everyone.
- Clashing Cousins: With Xie Lian.
- Green and Mean
- The Hyena
- Sir Swears-a-Lot
- Villainous Glutton: He loves eating humans the most, but he was also imitating He Xuan on purpose.
He Xuan (贺玄)
- Anti-Villain: He Xuan may be a demon hell-bent on killing a god out of revenge, but only because said god was responsible for cursing his human life with misfortune.
- Big Eater: Due to the trauma from the past where he was imprisoned and starved, hunger ruined him and it passed on to his demon life, where he would either feed nonstop or refuse to eat anything. He would also devour hungry ghosts and water ghouls to increase his powers.
- Dark and Troubled Past
- Dead Person Impersonation: He took over Ming Yi's identity.
- Empathic Environment
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: Despite his hatred for Shi Wudu, it's strongly implied that he part of him did care for Shi Wudu's younger brother, even though he also sees him as the primary cause of his suffering.
- Foil: To Hua Cheng. Both suffered in their mortal life, which was why they became demons after their deaths. However, they have different motives in becoming Supremes; Hua Cheng is driven by his love for Xie Lian, He Xuan is driven by his hatred for Shi Wudu.
- Ironic Echo: "Dream on."
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast: His moniker is "Black Water Sinking Boats". Definitely not an assuring title.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: Towards Shi Wudu, for transferring Shi Qingxuan's curse onto him, causing his entire mortal life to be full of nothing but misery, loss, and death — all of which robbed him of his chance to ascend into godhood. He succeeds in getting his revenge.
- Sadistic Choice: He gives the Shi brothers one. Either Shi Wudu switches Qingxuan's fate with one of the unfortunate ghosts of his realm and gives up his own godhood, or Shi Qingxuan kills his brother and gets spared in exchange.
- We Used to Be Friends: It's not like he can continue being friends with Shi Qingxuan after he killed the latter's brother.
Bai Wuxiang (白无相)
- Lonely at the Top: Bai Wuxiang's goal is to make Xie Lian become like him.
- Malevolent Masked Man: Bai Wuxiang is never seen without a white mask covering his face, and he's one of the Four Great Calamities.