WARNING: Unmarked spoilers ahead, please self-advise. Various tropes here contain major plot spoilers!
- Note: In the Taiwanese Hokkien language broadcasts, all male characters are voiced by Huang Huei-Fung
open/close all folders
"I will strike down Mie Tian Hai to avenge my brother, and retrieve the hilt of the Tengyouken as well!"
Chinese Name: 丹翡 Dān Fěi / Tan Hi (JA) / Vermillion Kingfisher (EN)
Discipline / Position: Seal Guardian (Priest-type Paladin)
Weapon of Choice: Sword
Weapon Name: 翠輝劍 Suikiken (JA) / Cuì Huī Jiàn (ZH) / Jade Bright Sword (EN)
Date of Birth: June 1.
Voiced by: Mai Nakahara (JA), Deng Wei-De (TW)
Stage Actor: Airi Kisaki (Takarazuka Revue)
Discipline / Position: Seal Guardian (Priest-type Paladin)
Weapon of Choice: Sword
Weapon Name: 翠輝劍 Suikiken (JA) / Cuì Huī Jiàn (ZH) / Jade Bright Sword (EN)
Date of Birth: June 1.
Voiced by: Mai Nakahara (JA), Deng Wei-De (TW)
Stage Actor: Airi Kisaki (Takarazuka Revue)
—"Adhering to the values of the Dān, I bear my fate: traveling the earth, seeking honor and revenge. Stripping away my meekness as a woman, I shall battle the heartless at the price of my hopes and dreams."
One of the Seal Guardians hailing from the Sword Forging Shrine in charge of guarding the Tengyouken. Dan Fei takes pride in her heritage as a Seal Guardian, which makes her quite stubborn and tense when it comes to issues regarding her clan; but she's also shown to be fairly naive due to being inexperienced with the world outside of her shrine.
- Action Girl: Even with her meek and innocent manner, she won't hesitate to stand her ground.
- All-Loving Hero: Dan Fei genuinely trusts all members who aid her on her quest, including Sha Wu Sheng, Xing Hai, and especially Lin Xue Ya.
- All Just a Dream: In the manga, after Dan Fei passes out after being tortured by Diao Ming, she dreams of reuniting with her brother at the shrine. It is both heartwarming and tragic knowing that it's a impossible dream that would never happen again.
- Aw, Look! They Really Do Love Each Other: In the manga, despite of what Juan Can Yun said about her children should have a sturdy body, she truly cares for him deeply especially as she protected him from Xing Hai's attack, saved him from being killed by his former brother, and she even grieved for him as she thought he died protecting her.
- Back for the Finale: In Season 2 she appears and talks with the surviving characters, as well as making sure Juan Can Yun behaves himself.
- Badass Adorable: Word of God intentionally aimed to gave her a Moe design to appeal to the Japanese audience, and she can hold off for herself quite well to boot.
- Battle Couple: With Juan Can Yun later on.
- Berserker Tears: In the manga, Dan Fei charges at Un Shou Yun Xiao after he injured Juan Can Yun.
- Bridal Carry: In the manga, after Lin Xue Ya and Shang Bu Huan left to go to the Seven Sin Tower with Demon birds they took from the Mooks, Dan Fei got captured earlier by the Xuan Gui Zong. She was seen being carried unconscious by Diao Ming.
- Butterfly of Death and Rebirth: Butterflies are symbolic of change, joy, and new life. It's implied how her fate changed after meeting Shang Bu Huan, Lin Xue Ya and Juan Can Yun, and gave her new meaning and a reason to live on rather than self sacrifice. Not to mention that a lot of death and destruction lay in her waking up to, and including her brother.
- Broken Bird: In episode 9, after finding out one of her allies turns out to be a phantom thief, having a guard of the Tengyouken taken from her, and her allies abandon her and Shang Bu Huan, she becomes depressed and ashamed by her actions that brings her into tears.
- In the manga, it's much worse. After being tortured by the Xuan Gui Zong and becoming traumatized about how she rediscovers her elder brother, she is reduced to an Empty Shell of her former self.
- Broken Tears: She shed tears uncontrollably, after she discovers her brother's head in the manga. She didn't take it very well.
- The Bus Came Back: Dan Fei returns in the season 2 finale.
- Clothing Damage: Twice. In the manga, her dress gets torn open from behind, exposing her back completely by Diao Ming when she was held prisoner and before he starts the process of carving her back. The other is the Otome Genyuuki manga where the back of her dress and sleeves are torn when she was held captive by a demon.
- Cool, but Inefficient: The scabbard to her sword doesn't cover the entire blade and the bottom one-fifth is exposed when sheathed. While cool looking, the exposed blade is susceptible to environmental hazards or accidentally impaling something.
- Damsel in Distress:
- She was captured by the Xuan Gui Zong and was tortured by Diao Ming without neither Shang Bu Huan or Lin Xue Ya noticing or able to save her in the manga.
- In the Otome Genyuuki manga, she was also captured by a male demon until Shang Bu Huan, Rin, Xing Hai, and San save her.
- Earn Your Happy Ending: Despite her brother dying, her inability to get revenge on his behalf, and the majority of her party having sinister agendas behind her back, she leaves the narrative with a new purpose for her clan in protecting the sword Shang Bu Huan uses to banish Yao Tu Li, and finds love and a family with Juan Can Yun.
- Expository Hairstyle Change: In the final chapter of the manga, she now wears her hair tied in a neat bun with a butterfly hair ornament.
- Fighting Your Friend: The manga plays it differently than the show does; Dan Fei attacks Juan Can Yun thinking he was an enemy and traitor after he abandons her and Shang Bu Huan. She even refused to trust him, presumably because she hasn't recovered from her depression and has rightfully deserved trust issues, until Juan Can Yun lets her injure him and explains to her that he left his former sworn brother to be by her side.
- Flower Motifs: Prunus mume is chinese name for plum blossom. It symbolizes perseverance and hope, but also beauty, purity, and the transitory nature of life.
- Foot Focus: In the intro of the show, her feet are briefly shown during her dance in her segment. Oddly enough, in the main show, she's never seen barefooted.
- Friend or Idol Decision: In episode 11, Dan Fei was forced into a situation where she has to choose to between saving her Tengyouken guard, or the life of Juan Can Yun. She chose to protect Juan Can Yun.
- Heroic BSoD:
- When she found out that the guard of the Tengyouken was taken away from her, she breaks down crying in shame. When she found out who Lin Xue Ya really was, which he only introduced himself to her under his alias, she cries even more.
- In the manga it's very much worse. She received a permanent scar on her back from Diao Ming, gets horribly traumatized when she sees her brother's severed head right in front of her and the guard to the Tenyouken (although it's a fake) in enemy's hands, leaving her in a broken and depressed state.
- Incompletely Trained: In a rather interesting variation, Juan Can Yun points out her family's swordsmanship was specifically developed for men. If she adjusted the fighting stance and movements for someone with shorter arm reach and less body weight, she'd significantly improve. Case in point: the kata he observed her perform would not have hit her opponent unless she took a few steps forward, but adding more steps to the technique would disrupt its flow.
- The Ingenue: Her sheltered, innocent nature makes it easy for her to accept help from everyone who gets recruited for their quest. She welcomes a demonic necromancer into their number with open arms, and assumes that Lin Xue Ya offered his head to Sha Wu Sheng because he wants to make peace with the assassin before it gets to the point where he would have to pay up.
- Jabba Table Manners: Dan Fei is shown to be a messy eater when it comes to Shao Bings in episode 10. Granted she was hungry though.
- Lady of War: Despite the fact that she was chased by the Xuan Gui Zong in the first episode, she can hold her own, especially when using several sword techniques and magic spells. She even fights against Mie Tian Hai when she reaches the tower, but unfortunately, she's tricked into fighting Shang Bu Huan by Lin Xue Ya.
- Leitmotif: "tanh1"
- Magical Girl Warrior: Complete with extensive Frills of Justice.
- Multicolored Hair: In her puppet form, if you look closely, she has black hair with dark blue streaks.
- Naïve Newcomer: She's the only one who really believes that the group was formed to help her out. Shang Bu Huan's in it to help her, probably, but it's certain that everyone else is there for their own agendas ... especially the group's leader, whose true objective was to steal the Tengyouken for himself.
- Near-Death Experience: In the manga, Dan Fei was almost killed by Mie Tian Hai from behind. Luckily for her, Shang Bu Huan managed to save her and blocked his attack.
- Negated Moment of Awesome: When she has the opportunity to take Mie Tian Hai's head, she goes and takes it, trying to put him on the edge with strong techniques and keeping him on the defensive. In reality, she was actually fighting Fu Kan, who she mistook for Mie Tian Hai because of Lin Xue Ya's illusion magic, so her impressive display is still downplayed compared to what it could have been.
- Pet the Dog: Though kind of a dick move by Lin Xue Ya, he points out that she'd be fighting a battle she would definitely not win had she been against the real Mie Tian Hai, so she was better off with this outcome.
- Nice Hat: She wears a large one with blossoming flowers and butterfly wings. In the show it never falls off, even when she falls or faints.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: Lin Xue Ya points out her desire to see the man who killed her brother defeated, is the reason she failed. Instead of seeking to destroy the Xuan Gui Zong, she should have left Dong-Li. If they could never find her part of the sword, the family's sacred duty (never allowing the sword to be reunited) would have been maintained.
- Official Couple: With Juan Can Yun after the final episode, and they are also Happily Married.
- Peek-a-Bangs: The left eye of her puppet form is slightly covered by her bangs due to her voluminous haircut.
- Perspective Flip: The Otome Genyuuki manga is the story told entirely from her point of view.
- Pimped-Out Dress: Wears the attire of a noblewoman, displaying frills and ruffles everywhere.
- Platonic Life-Partners: With Shang Bu Huan. Although she only see him as a friend or ally, but in the manga, she sometimes blushed when Shang Bu Huan says something nice and comforting to her. It maybe a hinted that she had feeling for him. If it's truth, then it would be impossible for them to be together since they have different roles. This also makes Juan Can Yun her second love interest.
- Pursued Protagonist: She holds the guard part of the holy sword Tengyouken, which the Xuan Gui Zong wants to obtain.
- Rape Discretion Shot: In the manga Diao Ming tortures her until she passes out from the pain. When she revives, Diao Ming reveals he found the hilt she hid on her body and taunted that he thoroughly searched her, "most precious spots," prompting Tan to fall into further despair. This all occurred while she was in a coma and away from view.
- Raven Hair, Ivory Skin: She has long beautiful black hair that reached almost rear length and fair skin.
- Scars Are Forever: In the manga, Dan Fei receives a scar from Diao Ming when he carved the Xuan Gui Zong's emblem on her back with a dagger.
- Ship Tease: With Juan Can Yun. Upgraded at the end of the first season.
- Skilled, but Naïve: Dan Fei is a master of the Tan Clan's martial arts and an expert swordswoman. Unfortunately, her lack of real-world fighting experience puts her at the lowest end of the group's power rankings. This becomes apparent when Juan Can Yun of all people points out a critical flaw in her fighting style: the Tan techniques were designed for the reach of a man, so many of her attacks will come up short even if the forms are executed perfectly.
- Sole Survivor: With the death of her brother, she's the last of her clan.
- Stupid Good: Unfortunately a sheltered life has made this apply to her. However when she finally realizes it and loses hope, Shang Bu Huan states that trying to do the right thing, even when it fails and causes regrets, is better than not doing the right thing at all. Good might be stupid, but at least it's still good.
- Trauma Button: In the manga, after being tortured by Diao Ming, she becomes so traumatized of him. Especially when she unexpectedly encounter him again, she breaks down in tears when he asks her if she wants to be torture again. However it currently unknown if she got over her fear of him after Shang Bu Huan kills him.
- Tsundere: Type B, she's often sweet but in the manga, she has several moments of comically lashing out towards Juan Can Yun when he says something that embarrasses her.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: The closest one can come as a wuxia character. She's incredibly devoted to the practices of her clan, kind, and graceful, but she holds a certain stubbornness inside of her that never truly goes away, and she's more than capable of holding her own.
- You Killed My Brother: In the first Episode, Dan Fei's elder brother was slain by Mie Tian Hai as they were running off with the sword piece. This makes her journey to get the remaining parts a little bit more personal as well.
- You Are Better Than You Think You Are: In Episode 9, while Dan Fei cries after the revelations in Episode 9, Shang Bu Huan tells her that "You can regret being deceived, but don't regret trying to do the right thing".
Shou Yun Xiao
"If you think people can choose how they die, you're gravely mistaken...You dogs don't realize that your place of dying has been chosen for you."
Chinese Name: 狩雲霄 Shòu Yún Xiāo / Shu Un Shou (JA) / Sky Hunter (EN)
Art Name: 鋭眼穿楊 Eigan Sen'you (JA) / Ruì Yǎn Chuān Yáng (ZH) / Sharp-Eyed Impaler (EN)note
Discipline / Position: The Archer
Weapon of Choice: Bow and Arrow
Weapon Name: 銀牙 Ginga (JA) / Yín Yá (ZH) / Silver Fang (EN)
—"As there are those who see nothing with both eyes, there are those who can see vast distances with one. My gaze is the path of an arrow, piercing those who fail to turn away."
An old acquaintance of Lin Xue Ya. Shou Yun Xiao is an archer who made a name for himself for his exceptional marksmanship. He regards Juan Can Yun as his sworn younger brother. He joins the quest of retrieving the hilt of the Tengyouken at Lin Xue Ya's request.
- Badass Beard: He has a short black beard on his chin.
- Barbarian Longhair: His puppet form is this, but his 2D concept is much more groomed.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: He at first appears to be an honorable man, but episode 9 reveals he knew about Lin Xue Ya's plan all along and is perfectly willing to be dishonorable, just as long as it doesn't affect his reputation.
- Blood Brothers: With Juan Can Yun. Until Episode 10.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: In the manga, after he was killed by Xing Hai, Shou Yun Xiao was cut in half horizontally, and she uses his blood as a another method to reawaken Yao Tu Li.
- Not as bad there, but in the show proper he gets hung by Xing Hai's ribbons and gets thrown into the pit where Yao Tu Li resides in just as he learns of her true intentions.
- Death by Irony: After warning Lin Xue Ya that Xing Hai was not to be trusted, he teamed up with her to betray the group to Mie Tian Hai for profit, only for Xing Hai to stab him in the back.
- Doppelgänger Spin: He can pull shadow clones of himself to throw his targets off his real self in order to pierce them.
- FaceHeel Turn: Secretly sided with Mie Tian Hai to receive the guard for the Tengyouken in exchange for money.
- Even Evil Has Standards: He'll sell out his companions, shoot his student in the eye, and mislead the public into thinking he is a great hero, but even HE knows better than to allow a sealed demon god to awaken!
- Eyepatch of Power: Fitting that the One-Eyed Impaler is missing his right eye and wearing an eye patch over it.
- Hunk: More prominent in his 2D depiction and manga adaption.
- Half the Man He Used to Be: Xing Hai slices his body horizontally after killing him.
- Improbable Aiming Skills: As if his Art Name is not a giveaway. Shu's skills are first demonstrated by sniping minions through a dense forest from several acres away.
- It's All About Me: He tells Juan Can Yun that to be famous, you will have to sacrifice many things to do so without a hint of regret.
- Leitmotif: "from either way" (first half.)
- Multishot: Shu is more than capable of firing near handfuls of arrows at once with the same deadly accuracy as a single arrow.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Upon realizing the true intent of the Tengyouken (a demon was sealed underneath), he tries to convince Mie Tian Hai to seal the demon with it. However, Xing Hai decides to kill him.
- Near-Death Experience: Shu was nearly killed by one of his arrows that was meant for Sha Wu Sheng. Luckily, he manage to save himself by catching it in a split second.
- Old Soldier: Shou Yun Xiao has lived a long life as a soldier and made a name for himself in this regard.
- Only in It for the Money: He is willing to side with Mie Tian Hai to retrieve the true Tengyouken guard from Dan Fei in order to have a good sum of reward.
- Unlike Xing Hai and Sha Wu Sheng, he doesn't appear to have been a victim of Lin Xue Ya. In fact he's worked with him in the past (unknowingly to Setsu), and after a sincere reunion mentions his new apprentice, Juan Can Yun, would be an excellent asset for Lin Xue Ya's schemes.
- Tareme Eyes: His puppet form.
- Trap Master: Shu's preferred trap for fighting close ranged opponents is to shoot an arrow into the sky, then use specific attacks to force the enemy into the position where the arrow will land and pierce them.
Juan Can Yun
"The warrior whose name is known throughout the East! I am called the Frozen Wonder! Juan Can Yun and his spear have arrived!"
Chinese Name: 捲殘雲 Juǎn Cán Yún / Ken San Un / To Furl Scattered Clouds (EN)
Art Name: 寒赫 Han Kaku (JA) / Hán Hè (ZH) / Frozen Wonder (EN)note
Discipline / Position: Spear Wielder, Seal Guardian
Weapon Name: 騰雷槍 Touraisou (JA) / Téng Léi Qiāng (ZH) / Soaring Thunder Spear (EN)
Date of Birth: June 25.
—"People may ridicule my noble ideals as fantasy and naïve, but with determination and effort I shall reach my soaring ambitions. I will have no regrets disdaining fleeting glory even when my hour comes."
The sworn brother of Shou Yun Xiao, and a skilled spear wielder. Juan Can Yun looks up to Shou Yun Xiao with admiration, and works hard to attain a reputation for himself using his skills. He tagged along with Shou Yun Xiao on the quest to retrieve the hilt of the Tengyouken.
- Battle Couple: With Dan Fei.
- Berserk Button:
- Don't ever threaten or attempt to kill his sworn brother. Until Episode 9 after he find out his true colors.
- In the manga, after he finds out that Diao Ming was responsible of torturing Dan Fei and gave her a scar on her back, Juan Can Yun was so pissed off that he attempted to kill him. It implied that he truly loves and cares for Dan Fei deeply.
- Blade on a Stick: Juan Can Yun's spear is his primary weapon, capable of powerful shock-wave attacks.
- Blood Brothers: With Shou Yun Xiao. Though after seeing how Shu really is, he refuses to associate with him anymore.
- Broken Pedestal: He's a bit disillusioned after learning his big brother is kind of a jerk.
- The Bus Came Back: He reappears in the second season as a Seal Guardian.
- Calling Your Attacks: The Finishing Move of his spear style, Dragon Current Strike.
- Once Dan Fei begins instructing him in the Tan swordsmanship style, he demonstrates the ability to use Tan Blade Technique: Yang Sunrise. However he can only summon one projectile instead of a Magic Missile Storm since he's still a novice.
- Chivalrous Pervert: Holding a conversation about having babies in your first attempt in courtship is definitely not the best impression for a conservative girl like Dan Fei.
- Distressed Dude: Dan Fei saved his life from the arrows of Shou Yun Xiao in episode 11.
- Disney Death: In the manga, Juan Can Yun sacrifices himself protecting Dan Fei from being crushed by a boulder when she fell into deep despair after finding out Yao Tu Li was sealed underneath the shrine. Luckily, thanks to Shang Bu Huan confirming that he's not dead, he just passed out from his injuries.
- Earn Your Happy Ending: Despite learning his sworn brother's true colors and losing his right eye to him, that doesn't stop him as he found a new purpose in life by protecting the sword Shang Bu Huan uses to banish Yao Tu Li, and to start a family with his beloved wife, Dan Fei.
- Establishing Character Moment: Every other character to be introduced with a traditional chinese poem describing their character has had it read out by a bodiless deep-voiced narrator. Juan Can Yun recites his own, excitedly, in the story itself. It's not quite fourth-wall-breaking, but he firmly establishes the sort of person he is by beating the narrator to his own poem and posing wildly the whole time.
- 9 episodes later, when Juan Can Yun is faced with his own teacher opposing him and Dan Fei, his true soliloquy is revealed in dramatic, earnest fashion, as Juan Can Yun finally establishes who he wants to be, rather than whom he was trying to be all along.
- Eyepatch of Power: Juan Can Yun dons an eyepatch similar to Shou Yun Xiao's by the final episode of Season One.
- Eyescream: Shou Yun Xiao impaled Juan Can Yun's right eye with an arrow attack, leaving Juan Can Yun impaired for the rest of his fight in episode 11. Ironically, Shou Yun Xiao is also blind on his right eye.
- Fantastic Racism: He's vocally against bringing Xing Hai into the party solely because she's a demon. He also frequently comments on her race, earning him a rebuke from Dan Fei of all people.
- The Fettered: Between the pack with his brother, and his code to uphold a good morality, he chose the latter; and vows to side, and protect Dan Fei no matter what happens.
- Genki Guy: The most energetic character of the group.
- Glory Hound: A heroic example. As he's rather young, he doesn't want to live his life a nobody and is very willing to make a name for himself. Though episode 9 shows he's very conflicted over the idea of being evil to do so.
- Exploited when Sha Wu Sheng uses his glory-seeking as an opportunity to get him to start clearing a path for the rest of the crew.
- Hair Flip: He often flip or fixed his hair before or during the battle.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: He has short blond hair that symbolized his being good-willed, kind and loyal. Unlike his former sworn brother and the others, he's the only one beside Shang Bu Huan and Dan Fei who refused to abandon his friends/allies and disliked the idea of becoming a fake hero rather than earning the title to become one.
- Happily Married: He marries into the Tan line and will be disciplined by Dan Fei of the Tan Sword Techniques to continue her line of Seal Guardians to protect the new divine weapon Shang Bu Huan entrusted them: the Goukouken.
- Hero-Worshipper: Episode 10 reveals he looked up to Shou Yun Xiao as a hero. Sadly he was rather disgusted by his philosophy.
- Hotblooded: He's rather fired up for a guy with an Art Name of "Coldness."
- Innocent Blue Eyes: He has sky blue eyes and it symbolized youth, naïveté, inexperience, and purity of soul. Juan Can Yun is the only character with blue eyes and unconditionally stays as Dan Fei's ally.
- Jerkass Has a Point: While he's not a jerk per se, his treatment of Xing Hai falls into jerk territory. And he is absolutely right to distrust her.
- Keet: This guy just can't stop yapping, can he?
- Leitmotif: "from either way" (2nd half.)
- Love at First Sight: His heart literally flew out of the window the moment he met Dan Fei for the first time.
- Mukokuseki: His 2D art has him sport more of a European appearance, due to having a more square shaped jawline and generally having short blond hair in contrast of a cast that mostly has dark Rapunzel Hair. His puppet and manga appearance however has him have more of a leaner facial structure. Despite all this, his heritage has never been addressed within the story.
- Near-Death Experience: In chapter 13 of the manga, Juan Can Yun was almost being killed by Sha Wu Sheng if Xing Hai haven't intervene.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: His plan to leave Demon Spine Mountain with Dan Fei and get to the Tengyouken's guard before everyone else backfires horrible as Shou Yun Xiao and Xing Hai predicted their strategy and stole the piece from them.
- The Nicknamer: Juan Can Yun is the one who gives Shang Bu Huan his Art Name "Edgeless Blade". He originally intended to ridicule Shang Bu Huan with this name, but Shang Bu Huan in turn actually likes it.
- No Sense of Personal Space: To Shang Bu Huan in the first season.
- No Social Skills: He tends to say what pops into his mind, without considering how rude or inappropriate it might be.
- Plucky Comic Relief: As the youngest and most brash of the team, he's naturally prone to sass and getting in situations for comedy's sake.
- Ship Tease: To Dan Fei. By episode 13, they became the Official Couple.
- Smarter Than You Look: Dan Fei has this reaction when he reveals he created marks to navigate through the Labyrinth of Darkness. He's also very critical of Dan Fei's swordsmanship, pointing out the flaws in using such a style with her small frame.
- Suicidal Overconfidence: He honestly believes that he can beat the Screaming Phoenix Killer.
- Subverted in Season 2, where he actively tells Shang Bu Huan his hiding of the Sword scroll won't last forever.
- Tears of Remorse: In the manga, Juan Can Yun apologizes to Dan Fei for losing the Tengyouken's guard to Shou Yun Xiao and Xing Hai. Despite of it,even though they fail, but she was glad that she was able save his life, he cries in his remaining eye behind her a while she comforts him.
- Token Good Teammate: Out of the allies, he is the only one that didn't know Lin Xue Ya's true plan and is very uncomfortable with idea of stealing the Tengyouken. With that, he chooses to betray Shou Yun Xiao and Xing Hai and side with Dan Fei after initially being forced to abandon the latter.
- Undying Loyalty: To Dan Fei, especially after episode 10.
- In the manga, his loyalty towards Dan Fei is tested as he let Dan Fei injured him in order to regain her trust after he forcefully abandoned her and Shang Bu Huan when he was with Shou Yun Xiao and the others. Another hinted is that he never fight or harm her when Dan Fei thinks he was enemy and a traitor.
- Unwitting Pawn: Juan Can Yun is airheaded to the point where Sha Wu Sheng can just casually lure him to charge into a full army of Xuan Gui Zong just by himself without him even knowing it. He's also the only one besides Shang Bu Huan and Dan Fei who are unaware of the true nature of Lin Xue Ya.
- Walk on Water: The running variant. He isn't happy when Sha Wu Sheng saved himself the upper hand of using Meteor Walk to surpass him.
- What You Are in the Dark: As Shou Yun Xiao states in episode 9, he could have easily left Dan Fei to die and gotten the Tengyouken without anyone the wiser. But instead he decides to do the right thing and left Shu and Xing Hai to save Dan Fei.
- Younger Than They Look: His actual age has never been stated within the show or manga, but it presumably he's a lot younger then he looks since the members of Xuan Gui Zong refer him as young one or a child. He may be younger or similar age to Dan Fei.
- Cool Sword: He begins to train the way of the sword using a sword that looks very similar to Tai Kou's main weapon in Episode 13 of Season 1 and Episode 11 of Season 2. It's possible since he's married into the Tan Clan, Dan Fei passed down her deceased brother's sword to him.
- Henpecked Husband: Dan Fei has him becoming one. He's taken her family name (since she's higher birth), has given up the adventurer's life to become a shrine guardian, being forced to learn the Tan's style of ancestral swordsmanship, and facing a future of Babies Ever After to rebuild her family's lineage.
- I Am Not Left-Handed: Though he admits not being talented at using a sword, for the sake of his wife and the Tan bloodline he's dedicated himself to learn her family's swordsmanship. However anyone who ridicules Juan Can Yun for being an average swordsman will have a rude surprise when he picks up a spear.
- Multi-Melee Master: Dan Fei is forcing him to become one, since he has to master her family's ancestral swordsmanship. He was already an expert at an original spear style and complained about needing to learn another weapon technique.
- The Only One I Trust: When Shang Bu Huan fears he could be possessed by Seven Blasphemous Deaths and become the next Big Bad, he gives the Sorcerous Sword Index to Juan Can Yun as its next guardian. Juan Can Yun accepts the responsibility, but tells Shang Bu Huan he cannot guarantee the Sorcerous Sword Index will remain hidden for more than a week. Someone is bound to notice his unusual journey and detect he's hiding something important. He makes Shang Bu Huan promise to return alive and tell stories of his adventures to Dan Fei.
- O.O.C. Is Serious Business: He's surprised to see Shang Bu Huan so worn out and panicked in Season 2 (Even refusing to let him see Dan Fei until he's cheered up a little), so reckons he must be in some really serious trouble.Juan Can Yun: So once you take care of your troubles, and can start making jokes about what's happened, be sure to come back.
- Storm of Blades: As a Seal Guardian, his technique is not a strong as Dan Heng since he still in training and he can only produce one when he use this on Shang Bu Huan.
- Took a Level in Badass: Season 2 shows him learning Dan Fei's family's swordsmanship as well an overall growth in character. He's less cocky, more intuitive and less naive than in Season 1.
"Damn you, Enigmatic Gale! You ignore my warning and disrupt my refuge in these woods?! Unforgivable...I swear you will pay for this!"
Chinese Name: 刑亥 Xíng Hài / Kei Gai (JA) / Final Punishment (EN)note
Art Name: 泣宵 Kyuu Shou (JA) / Qì Xiāo (ZH) / Night's Lament (EN)note
Discipline / Position: Necromancer
Weapon Name: 弔命棘 Choumeikyoku (JA) / Diào Mìng Jí (ZH) / Mourning Life Thorn (EN)
Date of Birth: September 24.
—"The song of the demon is like poisonous honey, soothing the souls of the night and seducing the bodies of eternal sleep. Just as the living dance with delight, so too do the undead sway with grace. For those who live within the exquisiteness of the netherworld, none can grasp the language of humans, only that of the moonlight."
A powerful demon necromancer who dwells in the Night Devil Forest, and someone Lin Xue Ya wishes to recruit to best the first obstacle of the Demon Spine Mountains. The other party members are wary of her because she is a demon, but Lin Xue Ya assures them she can be trusted. However, Xing Hai is shown to be hostile towards Lin Xue Ya for unknown reasons.
- Absolute Cleavage: Her 2D concept is obvious, and her puppet form does have them as well...it's just not that obvious.
- Adaptational Badass: She was able to steal Shang Bu Huan's sword and grab Shou Yun Xiao's arrows during their first encounter in the manga. She even attempts to strangle Lin Xue Ya to death through neck lift.
- Ambiguously Bi: Although she does sometimes flirt with Lin Xue Ya or Shou Yun Xiao, but in the manga, she has some Les Yay moments with Dan Fei and appears to be very infatuated towards Yao Tu Li. Although it is unknown if she's straight or bisexual due to Yao Tu Li's unknown gender.
- Author Tract: a minor example, but Xing Hai's view of humans (and thus, the assumed viewpoint of most demons) is that humans are illogical and place too much value in things like friendship, love, and justice... All of which are things that show writer and director Gen Urobuchi has a history of questioning and deconstructing.
- Barefoot Poverty: Although she is rarely seen without shoes except in Episode 6, but in the manga adaption, she doesn't wear shoes at all.
- The Bus Came Back: As Kasei Meikou are scheming to invade Dong-Li, Xing Hai appears out of no where to provide her assistance in the fight against Shang Bu Huan and Lin Xue Ya.
- Chronic Backstabbing Disorder: Even worse than Lin Xue Ya!
- Evil All Along: Actually wanted to retrieve the Tengyouken from the start, as she was trying to resurrect a demon god sealed underneath.
- FaceHeel Turn: Secretly sided with Mie Tian Hai to receive the guard for the Tengyouken in exchange for money. It worked for her agenda perfectly, as she actually wanted to resurrect a demon god..
- Fantastic Racism: According to Lin Xue Ya, Xing Hai has been enduring this due to her being from a demonic race. Shou Yun Xiao and Juan Can Yun are noticeably prejudiced towards her.
- HeelFace Turn: Averted. In the novel she was originally scheming methods to restore the demon gods. However she began to like the mortal realm after finding a home, becoming Heterosexual Life-Partners with Luan Niangzi, and falling in love with Lin Xue Ya. Yet just when she began to reconsider destruction of the world to live a quieter (though still evil) lifestyle: Lin Xue Ya destroys her home, kills her best friend, and breaks her heart. Thus the only thing she had left was restoring the demon gods.
- Hellish Pupils: Another trait of being a demon in both manga adaptions.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Luan Niangzi in the novel.
- Horned Humanoid: She has a pair of long horns reaching up from her head, a visual sign of her demonic nature.
- The manga adaptation seems to suggest that the horns are actually magically disguised parts of her hair, as she does not have them when she lets her hair down to go to sleep.
- The puppet design makes this more clear, as you can see her hair held up in the horn-shaped hair ornaments.
- The manga adaptation seems to suggest that the horns are actually magically disguised parts of her hair, as she does not have them when she lets her hair down to go to sleep.
- Karma Houdini: She is the only villain who, in the end, does not get their comeuppance. Indeed, after she revives Yao Tu Li, we don't see her again.
- In the manga, her fate wasn't confirmed as she was last seen being buried alive from the piles of rock boulders.
- In the Story of Shang Bu Huan portion of the movie Thunderbolt Fantasy: The Sword of Life and Death which takes place one month after Mie Tian Hai's death and the re-sealing of Yao Tu Li, the remnant Xuan Gui Zong mooks say they learned a magic spell that turns their blood into acid and explodes their bodies if they are killed. Xing Hai mentions knowing the exact same spell before Sha Wu Sheng joins the party, as they were not sure how to obtain the Soul Echo Flute from him.
- Her fate was revealed in the season 2 finale after credit that she survived Yao Tu Li's rampage from the previous season.
- Lady of Black Magic: A demon sorceress dressed in an ornate black and red robe with necromantic powers.
- Leitmotif: "Kguy & kill don't 生kiLL" (first half.)
- Magic Dance: When animating fresh corpses into her zombie thralls, Xing Hai performs a sensual dance to activate her talismans.
- Meaningful Name: Her name "Xing Hai" implanted her true mission of being the "last" of her demon race tasked to awaken the Yao Tu Li (and or perhaps, all sealed demons) to give humanity their ultimate "execution."
- Mind over Matter: She has this ability in the manga adaption when she was seen making talismans.
- Multicolored Hair: In her puppet form, she has black hair with red streaks.
- Necromancer: Her demonic arts give her command over the dead. Most if not all of Xing Hai's magic requires corpses to use and she is instrumental in safely passing the Valley of the Dead.
- The Nose Knows: In the manga, she can smell blood from the far distance when she and others arrive at the Limitless Temple.
- No Sense of Personal Space: In the manga, she gets really intimate with Dan Fei, such as cuddling next to her when the group stays at an inn.
- Only in It for the Money: She's on the same boat as Shou Yun Xiao in teaming up with Mie Tian Hai. Plus this is more beneficial for her anyway.
- Averted when we learn she's really trying to "resurrect" Yao Tu Li
- Our Demons Are Different: Specifically she is one of the few, if only, demons to remain in the mortal realm after the war.
- Pimped-Out Dress: The attire of her puppet design has long ruffles and elaborate embroidery. Averted on her concept illustration, which is much more conservative.
- Pointy Ears: Another trait of being a demon.
- Psycho Ex-Girlfriend: In the novel, it was revealed that she had fallen in love with Lin Xue Ya, unaware that it was all part of his plan to steal her pride. In the end, he breaks her heart, tricks her into killing her best friend/"business" partner, and burns down her home. Now we know why she wants him dead.
- She's Got Legs: While dancing to animate the dead, attention is drawn to her mostly bare legs during the performance multiple times.
- Shameless Fanservice Girl: The manga shows the ritual to rouse Yao Tu Li from its slumber in a different manner than the TV series, as after she kills Shou Yun Xiao she removes her furred cape leaving only a sheer white dress beneath.
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: Xing Hai wants nothing to do with the party and even less with the party's ringleader, but as a demon she is particularly at risk should the Tengyouken be made whole again and so is willing to help.
- There Is No Kill Like Overkill: In the manga, after she kills Shou Yun Xiao by hanging him from a rafter with her whip, she mutilates his body by slicing him in half so she can use his blood as a another method to revive Yao Tu Li.
- Token Minority: As to how Lin Xue Ya defends her, she's a demon who resides in the human world with no evil intentions. Supposedly.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: Her fate after the Yao Tu Li resurrection remains unknown. She was last seen completing the ritual to awaken it and became engulfed in the massive explosion that followed. Circumstantial evidence of her death can be summarized from not being present when Shang Bu Huan fought the demon god. However the story emphasizes when a demon is subject to Never Found the Body, they aren't dead. Powerful demons are also able to resurrect themselves after a period of time: it's unknown if she's such a candidate, so even if she did die, she might return again.
- In the manga, her fate wasn't confirmed as she was last seen being buried alive in piles of boulders when the demon she revived begun to wreck havoc around the surrounding area.
- A throwaway line from the TV series about a spell she knows to turn corpses into acid bombs matches up with the spell the remnant Xuan Gui Zong members use in The Movie against Shang Bu Huan.
- It is confirmed in the season 2 finale after credit that she's alive.
- We Will Meet Again: When Mie Tian Hai loves the idea of an Eldritch Abomination destroying the world, he says that he'll destroy the demon and be regarded as a savior otherwise. Xing Hai states that when they meet again, they'll be enemies at that moment.
- Who Needs Enemies?: Probably the person that Dan Fei should've watched more carefully. She sided with Mie Tian Hai only so she could resurrect a demon god.
- Woman Scorned: Her dialog and mannerisms towards Lin Xue Ya gives the impression of being one. Whatever he did to her: it was violent enough to want his death and explain she lost everything because of his betrayal.
- Her reason for hating Lin Xue Ya is explained in the novel. Where Lin Xue Ya stole her heart, her home, and her best friend.
- You Didn't Ask: She rages and rants about Lin Xue Ya's wrongdoing and her refusal to aid the party, without ever confirming what Lin Xue Ya needed her help for. As it turns out, a legendary holy blade that could possibly kill her definitely trumps her feud with the man.
- She was only interested in the quest because she surmised the true nature of the Tengyouken was not to have killed Yao Tu Li, but simply sealed him up with the possibility that he could be revived.
Sha Wu Sheng
"Now...which of you would like to die first? If you can't decide...Allow me to make it simultaneous for you."
Chinese Name: 殺無生 Shā Wú Shēng / Setsu Mu Shou (JA) / Eradicator of Life (EN)
Art Name: 鳴鳳決殺 Meihou Kessatsu (JA) / Míng Fèng Jué Shā (ZH) / Screaming Phoenix Killer (EN)note
Discipline / Position: Assassin
Weapon Name: 鳳啼雙聲 Houtei Sousei (JA) / Fèng Tí Shuāng Shēng (ZH) / Phoenix Cries Twice (EN)
Date of Birth: July 10.
—"Although ravens now bring news of life and death, people still persist uncertainly; since none can truly fathom fate, I shall end it with one strike of my blade."
A notorious, heartless killer, but also a swordsman whose skills are unparalleled. Due to some old enmity, he sets his eye on Lin Xue Ya for revenge, and is obsessed with chasing Lin Xue Ya down. When met with a strong opponent, he cannot help but step forward in challenge. Sha Wu Sheng thinks very highly of himself.
- Absolute Cleavage: Male example.
- Animal Motifs: Even though it's mythological, he has the motif of the Phoenix, along with Ravens and birds according to his soliloquy and skill set. Also, the animation director confirms via bonus interview within the Taiwanese ver. of episode 12, Urobuchi explicitly stated to the animation staff that the dragon within the opening theme is Sha Wu Sheng himself.◊This been confirmed by Urobuchi that it actually based off Sha Wu Sheng's design and it does not involved within the story itself.
- Arrogant Kung-Fu Guy: His response to a man's murder is "I have his flute and I am the Screaming Phoenix Killer."
- Ax-Crazy: He states that anytime he sees promise in anyone he wants to kill them.
- Backstory: Urobuchi revealed via TBF's Character Design Art Book indicating Sha Wu Sheng isn't the typical hitman in terms of being hired to target a person to kill discreetly, but he is actually a hitman hired to discontinue entire sword styles. Sha Wu Sheng was originally a ordinary swordsman who invested effort in pursuing higher levels of sword mastery to the point where he's capable of destroying schools after schools with little effort, which was a threat to all sword masters of their country and their sword styles' survival. In order to fix this, the sword masters developed a rotten system to place bids to Sha Wu Sheng as in whoever places the highest bid to him, that sword master/school can name whichever school to be destroyed by him.
- Batman Gambit: When faced with an army waiting for them across the river, Sha Wu Sheng quips that anyone who could get past the horde and kill the two generals before he got there would surely be renowned as the warrior who bested the Screaming Phoenix Killer. Naturally this spurred Juan Can Yun into action and dive head first into the enemies.
- Black Knight / Blood Knight: Sha Wu Sheng is a unique blend of these two knight tropes, where in order to seek revenge towards Lin Xue Ya, he used a full year strengthening his skills, turns himself cold-hearted in slaughtering anyone who has potential relations to Lin Xue Ya to grasp his whereabouts, then realized his strength to be too strong for the world and losing opponents to challenge; which ultimately drives him psychotically lusting for sword fights whenever he encounters a Worthy Opponent while remaining outwardly calm and cold-hearted in pursuing Lin Xue Ya.
- Calling Your Attacks: When performing a Finishing Move of his swordsmanship style.
- Killer Strike: Nocturnal Dark-Winged Cry was used to kill Lie Mei.
- Silencing of the Gods was used against Tekkisen.
- Cool Mask: Sha Wu Sheng wears an elegantly-crafted wire mask over his left eye.
- Death Seeker: Implied. Lin Xue Ya states he's been looking for someone stronger than him for a while. And despite predicating that Mie Tian Hai would kill him, he happily attacked. Just to get a taste of what "defeat" feels like. Lin Xue Ya's comments in the last episode of the season imply that this is also the real reason Sha Wu Sheng was hunting him.
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette: His 2D concept has a fairly pale skin complexion already, but his puppet form takes the term "cold-blooded" down to a whole new level.
- Elegant Classical Musician: Sha Wu Sheng is shown to be cultured in musical instruments, as he was seen playing the Soul Echo Flute and reviewed its timbre as not being good enough for its kind. Lin Xue Ya decided to have Sha Wu Sheng be the flute performer in place of Lian Qi for their mission; since the action of taking the Soul Echo Flute from Sha Wu Sheng is deemed too dangerous for Lin Xue Ya's team formation, and by having Sha Wu Sheng on board to protect the well being of Shou Yun Xiao and Xing Hai will be hell of a lot more beneficial for the team.
- Even Evil Has Standards: In the manga, even though he hates Lin Xue Ya for what he did to him in the past, but he refuses Lin Xue Ya to commit suicide after he rejected his offer to join him. His reason for this is because Sha Wu Sheng wants to kill him by his own hands and nobody else.
- Expy: Given his character archetype and voice actor, savvy fans can easily guess he's based on Hiei from Yu Yu Hakusho; or at least an interpretation of him if he never encountered any comrades who could influence him in a positive light. He's also surprisingly chatty in spite of his cold demeanor, even his own actor, who understood his character was an expy, is hilariously shocked by this:Hiyama: "He talks a TON for an antisocial character!"
- Female Gaze / Mr. Fanservice: Thanks to his Absolute Cleavage, he has leagues of fangirls swooning over him in the masses. Even T.M.Revolution of all people, is not immune to his charm:Hiyama: "I still believe my character is the coolest of them all."
- First-Name Basis: Of the entire team, he is the only person who Lin Xue Ya refers by his given name: "Musho" on a normal basis.
- Flash Step: He used this to assist Juan Can Yun and fighting the Xuan Gui Zong.
- In the manga, he used this on Lie Mei from behind and killed her in a instant.
- Go Out with a Smile: In the manga, he died smiling after he is killed by Mie Tian Hai.
- Implacable Man: His hatred with Lin Xue Ya seeps down within him so much, he is willing to pierce anyone in his way to off Lin Xue Ya's head.
- Jerkass: What do you expect, he's a psychopathic killer. Of all the people, he usually picks on Juan Can Yun, as Juan Can Yun's the one who wants to confront him the most.
- Knight of Cerebus: Hiroyuki Sawano gave his Leitmotif the most chillingly angry piece of bass electro of the entire soundtrack. Only one word can describe it: Terror.
- Leitmotif: "Kguy & kill don't 生kiLL" (2nd half,) and "kill don't 生kill-FUe" (his flute piece.)
- Long Haired Prettyboy: He has a same length hair as Lin Xue Ya.
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast: His name literally means "To kill until no one lives." And his Art Name doesn't show people any mercy either: he's the "Roaring Phoenix who finishes you off;" even when you interpret his name in another way: he's "The person who can kill off a Roaring Phoenix" —You hear us, just run for your damn life!
- Nightmare Face: In the manga depict him a much more unpleasant and sinister when he's prepare or ready to kill his prey.
- One-Man Army: The Xuan Gui Zong mooks are no match for him, he doesn't even need to bat an eyelid to slaughter them off.
- Peek-a-Bangs: His bangs cover his left eye.
- Pet the Dog:
- Not Musho himself, but Urobuchi on the audience as if he foresaw the audience breaking down over Sha Wu Sheng's exit, and gave him one extra minute of encore time the next episode via Shang Bu Huan's point-of-view Flashback.
- He is also received his own prequel film based off the gaiden novel about his past.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Only if his eyes aren't glowing when staring at you. If he does, you're fate has already been sealed.
- Sacrificial Lion: As much as the audience were prepared for the "Urobutchering" of characters, nobody foresaw this happening to this guy.
- See You in Hell: Just before he dies, he tells Lin Xue Ya he'll be waiting to ambush in him in the afterlife.
- Sexy Whatever Outfit: His outfit is outright flamboyant for an assassin.
- Scry vs. Scry: The entire time Shang Bu Huan is drinking with him, Sha Wu Sheng is a heartbeat away from pulling one of his swords and killing him. But he doesn't, because every time he gets ready to do so, his mental simulations of the fight end with Shang Bu Huan evading his blade; something that galls him and compels him to learn more about the man.
- His battle with Mie Tian Hai began and ended with both predicting that it would last nine moves.
- Slasher Smile: Since in the show doesn't show facial expression, but in the manga portrays him as an unpleasant and violent infamous assassin every time he enjoys killing his enemies.
- Sour Outside, Sad Inside: The reason for his immense popularity amongst the audience was by how tragic his character was developed. Because in all actually, the sadness part of the trope is inverted for him as Sha Wu Sheng is a person who really wanted to be a good guy and do good with his skills, but his simple ambition for sword mastery became the corrupt trade amongst the sword-fighting circle (see his backstory trope), and unfortunately falls victim to Lin Xue Ya's scheme in his past. Making him an infamous assassin where he never intended to be one in the first place. A hint of Sha Wu Sheng's true colors were showed through episode 5, where his presence within the inn he was staying scared off the rest of its customers; therefore he not only pays the owners for the economic damage he's caused and booked the entire building for the night, he also, despite knowing the risk to be deceived again, swiftly agreed to Lin Xue Ya's proposal to make sure he does not further stay in the area to cause trouble for the public.
- Token Evil Teammate: Of everyone in the main crew, he somehow joins them, but with the promise of killing Lin Xue Ya afterwards.
- Too Powerful to Live: See Backstory, Black Knight / Blood Knight, and the Death Seeker tropes above for the reasons why he's this.
- World's Best Warrior: Mie Tian Hai appraises his swordsmanship after dueling with him:Mie Tian Hai: "I can see why he would be known as a peerless master to the world at large."
- Worthy Opponent: He sees Shang Bu Huan as this. While Mie Tian Hai considered Sha Wu Sheng as his worthy opponent.
- Would Hit a Girl: He doesn't mind killing Lie Mei which it was seen in both adaptions.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: His puppet form wears his hair in magenta.
Chinese Name: 廉耆 Lián Qí / Ren Ki (JA) / Honorable Sage (EN)
Weapon Name: 破竹 Hachiku (JA) / Pò Zhú (ZH) / Breaking Bamboo (EN)
Voiced by: Kazuhiro Yamaji (JA)
Master of Lin Xue Ya, and the owner of the Soul Echo Flute.
- Adaptation Dye-Job: In his concept art, Lian Qi's eye are lime green, but his puppet form, it's dark brown.
- Badass Beard: A long white beard denoting his age.
- Chekhov's Skill: It might have seemed strange to viewers that the master of a Phantom Thief would be a swordsman but anyone who remembers this encounter will not be so surprised at what Lin Xue Ya pulls in episode 12.
- Foreshadowing: He mutters that he's going to have to clean up after his disciple before fighting Sha Wu Sheng. While he loses, when you have an Old Master implying that Lin Xue Ya can take care of himself, you best believe it.
- Friend to All Children: It was revealed in the manga of chapter 11 that he gets along with kids very well.
- Old Master: An expert swordsman and crafter of enchanted items. He trained Lin Xue Ya in the later and it's he who made the Soul Echo Flute.
- Rugged Scar: Lian Qi has what looks like a fresh scar over his left eye.
- Too Cool to Live: His first and only fight shown has him perform some really, REALLY cool sword tricks before being Impaled with Extreme Prejudice by Sha Wu Sheng.
- Unorthodox Sheathing: He draws his sword by blasting it out of its sheath with pure force, ricocheting the sword off a boulder, and catching in mid flight.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: Dies in his very first appearance.
"My duty carries more weight than my own life...If I fail in it, there's no difference between life and death!"
Chinese Name: 丹衡 Dān Héng / Tan Kou (JA) / Vermillion Balance (EN)
Weapon Name: 穆輝劍 Mokukiken (JA) / Mù Huī Jiàn (ZH) / Solemn Bright Sword (EN)
The elder brother of Dan Fei, he is also a Seal Guardian who guards the Tengyouken along with his sister. Dan Heng is responsible for guarding the hilt of the Tengyouken, while Dan Fei protects the crossguard of the sword.
- All There in the Manual: Despite of his name was revealed in the main website, his name was never mentioned within the show nor the manga adaption. He is only refered to as "Brother" by Dan Fei.
- Subverted in the season 2 since he was mentioned by Lin Xue Ya and Haku You Kou.
- Attack Reflector: A technique of the Tan swordsmanship style.
- Barrier Warrior: Generated one to slow the villains from capturing his sister.
- Beam Spam: The ultimate technique of the Tan swordsmanship style.
- Big Brother Instinct: To his sister, Dan Fei.
- Calling Your Attacks: When performing a Finishing Move of his swordsmanship style.
- Heroic Sacrifice / Sacrificial Lamb: He sacrifice himself to buy time for his sister to escape.
- Long Haired Prettyboy: He has very long black hair that reached to his feet.
- Multicolored Hair: In his puppet form, like his sister, he has black hair with dark blue streaks.
- No Body Left Behind: Dan Heng was killed by Mie Tian Hai and his remains has been destroyed completely.
- Subverted. In the manga, his body has been destroyed except for his head, which was later used in chapter 21 by Diao Ming to show Dan Fei his horrible demise.
- Overshadowed by Awesome: His sister wasn't wrong in proudly proclaiming he was the best practitioner of the family's swordsmanship style. Thanks to various Attack Reflector, Beam Spam, and Deflector Shields; it took four attacks from Mie Tian Hai to finally kill him. Not bad for someone fighting one of the most powerful warriors on the continent.
- Pursued Protagonist: He holds the grip part of the holy sword Tengyouken, in which the Xuan Gui Zong wants to obtain. Unfortunately, his half has been taken upon his death.
- Raven Hair, Ivory Skin: Like his sister, he has very long black hair and perfect skin.
- Storm of Blades: His special attack is composed like this. His storm of blades can even target its enemies.
- Sword Beam: His basic attack.
- You Shall Not Pass!: He used his body to shield his sister from enemy attacks and created a barrier to hold time for her to flee. His barrier was so strong, all Mooks who charged at him shredded to dust.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: Dies in the very first scene of the series.
Xuan Gui Zong
Chinese Name: 玄鬼宗 Xuán Guǐ Zōng / Genkishū (JA) / Black Demon Sect
Mie Tian Hai
Chinese Name: 蔑天骸 Miè Tiān Hái / Betsu Ten Gai (JA) / Skeleton Who Scorns the Heavens (EN)
Art Name: 森羅枯骨 Shinra Kokotsu (JA) / Sēn Luó Kū Gǔ (ZH) / Bones of Creation (EN)note
Weapon Name: 瀆世 Tokusei (JA) / Dú Shì (ZH) / Blasphemous Era (EN)
—"All life is a prelude to death. To serve me until you are a corpse, or to be cut down and become one. You have only two options before my blade."
Leader of the Xuan Gui Zong, he is a skilled swordsman, and possesses necromantic powers. In order to seize the Tengyouken (Heaven's Retribution Sword) protected by the Tan siblings, he will use every means possible to invade the Tan Clan's sacred grounds.
- Adaptation Dye-Job: In his concept art, puppet form and in other medias depict him with teal eyes. However, in the manga, his eyes are grey.
- Adaptational Villainy: He's made much more unpleasant in the manga version.
- Animal Motifs: Although it wasn't stated or shown in the show, but in the manga since his final battle and use his ultimate move against Lin Xue Ya was cut and tone down replacing with a dragon behind instead, it implied that might be motif.
- Always Someone Better: His philosophy in life, being that person who is always better than everyone else. It also becomes his downfall. Mie Tian Hai believes that skill and experience reigns supreme: that anyone can learn anything if they are devoted towards it enough, and those most focused will become the greatest. Lin Xue Ya taunts back that no matter how much skill or experience someone has, there are always those who are naturally talented and will always reign above those who are not, doing so with much less effort than those not gifted. Mie Tian Hai has greater desire and devotion to swordsmanship, yet is bested by a man with lesser aspiration and desire to become the greatest swordsman, but already is.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: One of the greatest swordsmen in the world, and the boss of the Xuan Gui Zong.
- Benevolent Boss: Contrary to his big bad archetype, he's shown to be a very good leader.
- He personally trains his team, and made sure they are well fed and lives comfortably under his roof. Compared to the 7 Ragtag Bunch of Misfits that are envading his castle, his team is shown to be loyal and unified.
- He holds himself to the same standards as his subordinates. When they are defeated, he expects them to die with honor or kill themselves if spared. When the same happens to him, he takes his own life.
- Big Bad: The main antagonist of the first season.
- Calling Your Attacks: When performing a Finishing Move of his swordsmanship style.
- Demonic War Force: Total Annihilation was used against Dan Heng.
- Demonic War Force: Hellborn Rebellion was used against Lin Xue Ya.
- Can't Kill You, Still Need You: Why he hasn't killed Lin Xue Ya despite knowing of his reputation and intent. Lin Xue Ya has hidden away the Tengyouken's guard.
- Collector of the Strange: He has a collection of human skulls in his throne room seen in the manga of chapter 7.
- Cool Mask: Wears one when outside of the tower.
- Dark Is Evil: Wears all black and is definitely evil.
- Evil Is Petty: He breaks the Tengyouken and kills himself in the process just to deny Lin Xue Ya his prize, laughing all the while.
- Evil Overlord: Lives in a castle, surrounded by henchmen, a Golem, and the undead.
- Exotic Eye Designs: In the manga adaption, where he has no pupils on his eyes and instead has two thin rings on his irises. Giving him a more sinister and malevolent look.
- Flaming Sword: His sword flames up whenever he draws his sword.
- Flying Weapon: His primary fighting style which can be combined with multiple swords
- From Nobody to Nightmare: Lin Xue Ya claims he was once a Mook soldier to a powerful necromancer. Somewhere along the line he pulled a Klingon Promotion and became the terrifying overlord everyone now knows.
- In the manga, Mie Tian Hai stabbed himself with Tengyouken in the chest a while destroying it.
- Leitmotif: "蔑、guy"
- Mind Rape: In the manga of chapter 7, he use this on Lie Mei for disgracing the Xuan Gui Zong and failing to kill Shang Bu Huan so he forced her to relive the scene where it would happen if she was unable to escaped to be torture and killed by Shou Yun Xiao until her mind is broken.
- My Kung-Fu Is Stronger Than Yours: Chooses to duel against Sha Wu Sheng.
- Narcissist: After overhearing the expositions of episode 12, Lin Xue Ya concluded Mie Tian Hai's ultimate form of Pride is this; as Mie Tian Hai is full of himself, proud of his sword skills, wanting the best swords that fits him, and even plotting to be "the savior" of their world via Xing Hai's release of the Yao Tu Li. Therefore, Lin Xue Ya decides to take away Mie Tian Hai's pride through a straight-forward sword fight against him.
- Noble Demon: Worth noting he offered both Tan siblings the opportunity to surrender the sword parts to him and sincerely would have left them unharmed if they did. It was also Lin Xue Ya who double crossed their trade agreement, and he had no problem peacefully negotiating with Xing Hai. Had Shang Bu Huan been able to speak with him about the misunderstanding from Episode 1, before Lin Xue Ya and Tan got him further involved, he might have been successful in letting bygones be bygones.
- "Pop!" Goes the Human: He blew up Dan Heng just with his hand.
- Sore Loser: After losing to Lin Xue Ya, he decides to break the Tengyouken and doom the world out of anger.
- The Southpaw: He is one of few characters who are actually left-handed in both adaptions.
- Sword Beam: His critical attack is made of one fully loaded sword energy ball.
- Teleport Spam: Tries this on Lin Xue Ya, but was unsuccessful.
- Unorthodox Sheathing: He draws his sword by brushing it with the back of his hand, where it flies out his sheath, spins, and locks itself into his hand.
- Victorious Loser: To Lin Xue Ya.
- Villain Teleportation: First seen on his fight against Dan Heng. On later episodes his teleportation is shown to have black and smokey particle effects.
- Worthy Opponent: Towards Sha Wu Sheng. He tells his men to cremate his body as a sign of respect after killing him.
- Considering that Mie Tian Hai is a necromancer, this is actually a huge deal. He's essentially promising that he'll never desecrate and disrespect his foe's body by reanimating the corpse.
- In the manga, he even catches Sha Wu Sheng's body from falling into the ground after he killed him.
- Would Hit a Girl: Although he appears not to be interest fighting Dan Fei because she was born a woman, but in the manga, he doesn't mind and attempt to kill her as he only want the remaining piece of Tengyouken.
- Would Hurt a Child: Heavily implied in the manga adaption of Chapter 4, where after killing the village chief, he slain an innocent young boy out of boredom.
Chinese Name: 殘凶 Cán Xiōng / Zan Kyou (JA) / Vicious (EN)
Discipline: Dual Wielding
Weapon Name: 貪狼刀 Tonroutou (JA) / Tān Láng Dāo (ZH) / Greedy Wolf Sword (EN)
Subordinate of Mie Tian Hai. He's a master sabre wielder who was assigned to hunt down Dan Fei upon her escape.
- Ambiguously Brown: His 2D concept makes him ambiguously black.
- Better to Die than Be Killed: He self-served in beheading himself in the most epic way possible.
- The Brute: The most direct and aggressive of Mie Tian Hai's men.
- Calling Your Attacks: The Finishing Move of his swordsmanship style, Dry Bones: Blood Slash.
- Dual Wielding: After stealing Dan Fei's sword, he uses it along with his own until it's stolen back.
- Evil Laugh: Once he learns Shang Bu Huan's name, he starts laughing maniacally to inform Shang Bu Huan that he's been marked for death.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: Can Xiong has a prominent scar across the bridge of his nose.
- Off with His Head!: Beheads himself after learning the true name of the heroes so that his master can read his severed head's memories.
- Starter Villain: The first villain that the heroes fight (and ultimately gets them involved with taking on the Xuan Gui Zong).
- We Hardly Knew Ye: He only appears in the first episode to chase after Dan Fei after she escapes the attack by Mie Tian Hai. After losing in battle with Shang Bu Huan, he just slices his own head off rather than be disgraced.
- Would Hit a Girl: He steal Dan Fei's weapon and slash her with it.
- In the manga, he punched her and steal her weapon.
- Wrecked Weapon: In the final blow to end the fight, Shang Bu Huan also destroys Can Xiong's sword in the process.
Chinese Name: 獵魅 Liè Mèi / Ryou Mi (JA) / Charming Huntress (EN)
Weapon Name: 魅月弧 Migetsuko (JA) / Mèi Yuè Hú (ZH) / Charming Moon Arc (EN)
Subordinate of Mie Tian Hai.
- All Love Is Unrequited: To Mie Tian Hai. It is hinted in episode 2 and the manga. Presumably that she just wants him to notice her more as she is greatly infatuated toward him or just worships him greatly.
- Bare Your Midriff: In manga, she starts fully exposed her stomach only showing her strapless bra after being mentally torture by Mie Tian Hai.
- Broken Bird: After being mentally torture by Mie Tian Hai, her personality drastically changed as she become cold, almost emotionless, and determine to get revenge on Shou Yun Xiao in the manga adaption.
- Calling Your Attacks: The Finishing Move of her blade style, Withering Bone Organs.
- Combat Stilettos: Wears a pair ... and of all the characters in the show, is the only one wearing some form of heels.
- Dark Chick: The only woman amongst the top command of the Xuan Gui Zong.
- Eyescream: Her left eye was impaled by Shou Yun Xiao with a arrow attack.
- Averted. As what she experiences would happen if she wasn't able escaped from Shou Yun Xiao was actually hallucination created by Mie Tian Hai as punishment.
- Fashionable Asymmetry: After she being torture and disrespect the Xuan Gui Zong, she started to tied her hair into ponytail on the right with one of her flower clip rather than two. Knowing that how much she changed drastically after her defeat seen in the manga.
- Faux Action Girl: She talks a big game, but in her first major appearance, Shou Yun Xiao easily makes a fool of her until she's forced to withdraw. In her second fight scene, she tries to take on Sha Wu Sheng and is slain in one move.
- Flower in Her Hair: She wears two flower hair clips on both sides.
- Half the Woman She Used to Be: This plays out a much darker than the show as Lie Mei was cut down in half vertically by Sha Wu Sheng in manga adaption.
- Kick Chick: Lie Mei is the only character in the series to regularly include kicks into her attacks.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: She has red eyes and a hint that she very dangerous and skilled member of the Xuan Gui Zong.
- She's Got Legs: Partially on her 2D concept artwork and fully exposed in the manga adaption.
- The Movie makes sure extra attention is given to her legs in the impostor Shang Bu Huan's recollection of the events of season 1.
- Single Tear: After she was killed by Sha Wu Sheng, she cried out her master before she dies.
- Weapon of Choice: Interestingly her Mandarin duck blades are known to be associated with lovers.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Her hair is violet in color.
Chinese Name: 凋命 Diāo Mìng / Chou Mei (JA) / Withered Life (EN)
Weapon Name: 寒獠鉤 Kanryoukou (JA) / Hán Liáo Gōu (ZH) / Cold Hunting Scythe (EN)
Subordinate of Mie Tian Hai.
- Adaptational Villainy: In the manga, he's much more cruel and is an overall sadist. He's the one who is in charge of the torture chamber that Dan Fei was imprisoned in.
- Blatant Lies: In the manga, He lied to Dan Fei that he's cutting off her damage hair after she fainted on her way to the Seven Sin Tower and he carried her the rest of the way. It obvious that Dan Fei isn't buying to his lies.
- Black Bead Eyes: In his puppet form, close to Eyes Always Shut variant. Diao Ming's eye color are actually green, but since his eye size are small (smallest of the entire cast, actually) they look beady once the camera pulls away from his close-up.
- Body Horror: In a show with some nasty deaths, his is particularly gruesome. Shang Bu Huan essentially explodes a "ki bomb" inside Diao Ming's chest, causing his rib-cage to explode outwards...through his back.
- Calling Your Attacks: The Finishing Move of his swordsmanship style, Festering Bone Heart.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: See Body Horror above the reason why his death was unusual.
- The Dragon: He appears to be the most favored and senior member of Mie Tian Hai's lieutenant trio.
- Dual Wielding: He wields a pair of shuang gou swords.
- Empty Eyes: Starting from chapter 19 of the manga, which only make him look much more heartless, uncaring, and creepy. Which was foreshadowing when he's plans to do with Dan Fei.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Despite being cruel in the manga, Diao Ming was very disturbed by how Mie Tian Hai mentally tortured Lie Mei after she disgraced the Xuan Gui Zong.
- Finger-Lickin' Evil: A rare male example. He licks one of his two fingers after Dan Fei bite his fingers for attempt to seduce her.
- Hooks and Crooks: His tiger hook swords.
- Irony: As the person who bares the name "Withered Life," he is the last one standing of all Mie Tian Hai's close subordinates.
- Kick the Dog: He throws one of his comrades as a distraction at Shang Bu Huan in order for him to drop his guard and injure him in the manga.
- Never Trust an Opening: The intro of the show usually shows fights that happen, including Shou Yun Xiao's battle against Lie Mei and such, but it shows Juan Can Yun fighting against Diao Ming. Diao Ming never fought directly until Episode 12, and even then, Juan Can Yun was too weak to battle and Shang Bu Huan finished Diao Ming off with a ki bomb.
- Although this might be slightly averted as Juan Can Yun was fighting him in the manga adaption, but only to told not to interfere by Juan Can Yun.
- Nightmare Fetishist: Implied. It presumably he has a habit of collecting hair, eyeball, teeth, toenails or fingernails, and skins of his victims before he processing of torturing them.
- Peek-a-Bangs: Sometimes. However in later chapters of the manga and other media, his bangs cover his right eye.
- Sadist: He is far more cruel and violence in the manga adaption.
- He carved a emblem of the Xuan Gui Zong with a dagger on Dan Fei's back after she refused to submit, he enjoys making his victims suffer and break them completely as he brought Dan Fei's brother severed head to her.
- He even takes drastic measure by searching Dan Fei's entire body to search for the second half of the Tengyouken after she fainted.
- Short Hair with Tail: Averted. He has grey hair in the front, but the rest is tied in a long braid from the back underside that nearly reaches rear.
- Torture Cellar: He has one inside of the Seven Sins Tower seen in the manga adaption.
- Torture Technician: In the manga, he appears to be an expert of torturing his victims.
- Undying Loyalty: To Mie Tian Hai.
- In the manga, he is shown to be very protective toward him as he doesn't want anyone to touch him and he is shown to dislike when people speak ill of his master. However, in his final moments before being killed by Shang Bu Huan, it is revealed that he is secretly afraid of him.
- Villainous Breakdown: He has a major breakdown in the manga, where after he witnesses Shang Bu Huan's true fighting style, he begins to panic as if he retreats from a battle, he would be killed by Mie Tian Hai for his failure and disgracing the Xuan Gui Zong. He attempts to attack Shang Bu Huan knowing it would be impossible to defeat him and ends up being killed as the result.
- Villainous Crush: Downplayed towards Dan Fei in the manga adaption. Although it wasn't been stated, it seems he takes an interest in her after he captured her. However, he only said those flattering words to her so that she would submit and surrender the second half of Tenyouken.
- Although, he looks delighted after he saw Dan Fei's body and her "hidden parts".
- Who Are You?: Asked word for word upon witnessing Shang Bu Huan unleash his true fighting style and Curb-Stomp Battle his elite minions with ease.
- Would Hit a Girl: He threatened to kill an unconscious Dan Fei if Shang Bu Huan doesn't drop his weapon. In chapter 6, he hit Lie Mei for going on her own to search for Shang Bu Huan.
- Conspicuous CG: Despite the medium of puppetry, all of the monsters in season 1 are 3D computer graphics.
Chinese Name: 魑翼 Chī Yì / Miyoku (JA)
Massive skeletal birds that make their home in the Demon Spine Mountains. The Xuan Gui Zong uses them for transportation and to attack enemies.
- All Flyers Are Birds: The original Chinese/Japanese name simply means "Demon Wings", but Crunchyroll's translation made them into "Demon Birds".
- Cutting the Knot: Lin Xue Ya, Shang Bu Huan, and Dan Fei observe the Xuan Gui Zong members luring out the Demon Birds to bypass the labyrinth that they would have needed the Soul Echo Flute for to get to Seven Sin Tower. The three decide to subdue a Xuan Gui Zong member, steal his summoning whistle, and fly straight to Mie Tian Hai's castle.
- Dem Bones: They appear to be living skeletons of giant birds that fly.
- Just Whistle: The Xuan Gui Zong uses "whistles" to summon up Demon Birds. But make sure that the whistle isn't damaged before using it.
- Summon a Ride: The Xuan Gui Zong uses the Demon Birds for transport mostly.
Chinese Name: 巨石傀儡 Jùshí Kuǐlěi / Kyoseki Kugutsu (JA)The guardian of the Valley of the Doll. It has a weakpoint on the nape of its neck.
- Attack Its Weak Point: The magic that controls the Stone Doll collects at a point in its neck. Attacking here would disrupt the connection and render the Doll inert, which is the job of the One-Eyed Impailer.
- Expy: Of these guys.
- Golem: A much more fitting name for the giant rock monster than calling it a "stone doll".
- Living Motion Detector: The doll will only activate when it senses the motion of intruders. It only attacked Shang Bu Huan because he was the only one moving towards it.
- Our Giants Are Bigger: The Stone Doll is a colossus that towers over everyone.
- We Need a Distraction: Shang Bu Huan's method of fighting him.
Yao Tu Li
Chinese Name: 妖荼黎 Yāo Tú Lí / You Ja Rei (JA) / The Dark and Cruel Demon (EN)
Voiced by: Atsuko Tanaka (JA) (Min-Nan)
One of the strongest demons from the time of the War of Fading Dusk, legend says it has been defeated by the Tengyouken. Mie Tian Hai believes it was the only demon god slain, as the rest of the demons were believed to retreat back into their realm when defeated by other divine weapons. Its gender is unknown due to the Japanese and Taiwanese voice over cast actors of each gender.
- Adaptational Villainy: It appears to be more terrifying and dangerous in the manga compared to it live-action counterpart. It can destroy an entire village and can shoot beams from it scythes. It even overpowers Shang Bu Huan during their final battle.
- Ambiguous Gender: Most of the characters refer Yao Tu Li as a male or they, but after being sealed again, Shang Bu Huan calls it a she.
- Complete Immortality: It's impossible to kill a demon because they never die, the only way to stop it is to seal them.
- Dark Is Evil: Is shrouded in darkness for its reveal.
- Eldritch Abomination: Compared to the rest of the characters, this demon is definitely one.
- Fate Worse than Death: Shang Bu Huan banishes her into the void of space between the galaxies, where she'll be alone forever in the cold and silent emptiness of nothing for all eternity. Since demons cannot die, and the Universe is infinite, she'll have till the end of existence to ponder her mistake.
- Multipurpose Tongue: Tries to attack Shang Bu Huan with multiple tongues sticking from its mouth shaped crown.
- Sealed Evil in a Can: In Episode 12, we find that this was his ultimate fate after the War of Fading Dusk. The true purpose of Dan Fei and Dan Heng wasn't to protect the Tengyouken for the sword's sake, but to keep Yao Tu Li in his prison.
- It was eventually sealed again by Shang Bu Huan using one of the divine weapons in his possession: the Goukouken. Unlike other sealing swords that send demons back to their own realm, any victim sealed by the Goukouken will be sent to the endless void of space. Even if the seal is broken, the chances of coming back are slim.
- Talking Is a Free Action: She just stood there and watched Shang Bu Huan for a full minute without attacking him, as he decided upon which Infinity +1 Sword should be used to kill her. Perhaps averted since she asked, "how do you plan to defeat me?"
- The Voiceless: In the manga, Yao Tu Li doesn't speak a single word and is completely silent. It only growls and screams.
- Worf Had the Flu: When trying to negotiate with her to peacefully leave, Shang Bu Huan proclaims she isn't at full strength as a reason why she shouldn't fight him.
Thunderbolt Fantasy Gaiden
Chinese Name: 孌娘子 Luán Niángzi / Ren Jo Shi (JA) / Lady Beautiful (EN)
A character from the Thunderbolt Fantasy Gaiden novel and who is part of Xing Hai's past with Lin Xue Ya.
- Animal Motifs: Peacocks are symbolic of beauty, grace and nobility.
- Beauty Mark: She has one below her left eye.
- Death by Irony: She seduces and kills men to bring body parts to Xing Hai who in turn pays her with an elixir of youth. She gets manipulated by Lin Xue Ya, reverting her to her own greatly advanced age, and is ultimately killed by one of her own men.
- Dude Magnet: She loves to seduce men, and doesn't mind if they are already married. However, she does this because she kills them and gives Xing Hai the butchered bodies to make dolls, puppets, and corpses she summons in exchange for youth elixirs.
- Greed: All she wanted was to stay young and beautiful forever.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Xing Hai in the novel.
- I Just Want to Be Beautiful: She wanted to stay beautiful and youthful woman without aging. This is why she is willing to do Xing Hai's dirty work by killing men, and butchering them in exchange for youth elixirs.
- Immortality Seeker: In the novel, she wanted to stay young forever to look beautiful and seduce men forever.
- Karmic Death: She seduced and killed men for Xing Hai in exchange for youth elixir to stop aging. Luan Niangzi ends up get killed by one of her men after she turn into an old woman by drank reserve elixir, unintentionally.
- Long Hair Is Feminine: She has long black hair that reach to her knees.
- Older Than They Look: Luan Niangzi has been taking youth elixirs given by Xing Hai, it uncertain what's her actually age. However, after unintentionally drank reverse elixir, it's possible she revert back to her true age or just a side effect.
- Rapid Aging: Lin Xue Ya tricks Luan Niangzi into drinking an elixir that reverses the effect of the anti-aging elixirs Xing Hai had been giving her, turning Luan Niangzi into an old hag.
- Raven Hair, Ivory Skin: She has long beautiful black hair and fair skin.
- Stripperific: Her outfit is very revealing.