open/close all folders
The group as a whole
- Adam Westing: They are all playing exaggerated versions of themselves.
- Anti-Hero: They are largely self-centered and have individual unheroic qualities.
- Jerkass: Danny for sure. Jonah turns out to be one, as most of his kindness seems to be an act. James, Seth, Jay, and Craig are more Jerk with a Heart of Gold.
- Sir Swears-a-Lot: Oh yeah, to varying degrees. James and Danny launch a Cluster F-Bomb at one another over Danny taking a porno mag.
- Unsympathetic Comedy Protagonist: Sure, they are massive douchebags, but they still remain funny as hell note .
- Bullying a Dragon: He harasses a cannibalistic Danny McBride as he's being raptured... which unsurprisingly gets him disposed from the Rapture, giving Danny the opportunity to eat him alive.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: He suffers his unpleasant demise as he's getting chewed alive by Danny and his men.
- Idiot Ball: He had the opportunity to reach the afterlife... but he just had to gloat to Danny which gets himself cannibalized.
- I Shall Taunt You: Towards Danny right as he's getting raptured. This ends up cancelling the rapture.Go to hell, McBride! Fuck you! Suck my dick!
- Last-Name Basis: Referred to mainly as Franco, rather than James
- The Leader: It is his house, after all.
- Smug Snake: When he's about to be raptured, James taunts Danny at his apparent escape... it bites him in the ass big time.
- Social Darwinist: We see that he was keeping a whole cabinet worth of emergency food supplies all to himself consisting of peanut butter, Coca-Cola, candy and other non-perishables. James was letting his friends starve to death or go outside where there's demons and look for food.
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: He has to live through the apocalypse with Danny McBride, and is clearly the least happiest to have him around.
- Too Dumb to Live: Pushing his own luck to get into heaven by harassing a cannibal. Unsurprisingly, this results into his own demise.
- Asshole Victim: Becomes a literal example when a demon rapes him after he wishes death upon Jay.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Jay is convinced that his Nice Guy personality is all an act. Turns out Jay is right.
- Deadpan Snarker: When he is possessed.
- Demonic Possession: Later on after said demon rapes him.
- Holier Than Thou: Taken Up to Eleven when he questions God's competence for creating Jay and wishes death upon him.
- Jerkass: Despite his Nice Guy act.
- Karmic Death: He is possessed, and later burnt and crushed to death after wishing death upon Jay.
- Laser-Guided Karma: Praying to God for someone else's death tends to result in this.
- Smug Snake: He's passive-aggressive, condescending, and completely fake.
- Sugary Malice: Especially towards Jay.
- Tempting Fate: When he foolishly plays around with James' gun, despite the others' pleas for him not to.
- Dirty Coward: When he pulls the short straw (in this case, burnt match) to decide who goes next door to get supplies, he outright refuses to go, rationalizes his "draft" evasion and makes Jay go instead.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Lets go of Jay's hand so Jay can get into heaven, which ends up earning him a ticket as well.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: A variation with Jay.
- Hilariously Abusive Childhood: Being "tittyfucked" as a kid likely scarred him for life.
- Skewed Priorities: At the start of the Apocalypse, Seth seems more upset about the Internet being down than the fact that his town has been burnt to toast and that many people including those close to him have died.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: A variation with Seth.
- Holier Than Thou: The others view him as this, mainly because of his prediction that the Biblical Apocalypse is taking place.
- Not So Above It All: Normally he holds the groups antics with contempt, but even they find his plan for exorcising Jonah ridiculous.Seth: Are you serious right now? Thats your fucking plan? Youre gonna repeat lines from The Exorcist?
Jay: I would assume they did their fucking research!
Seth: Its a movie!
Jay: Its a training manual! Its a fucking training manual.
- No Respect Guy: None of them. Except Craig anyway.
- Only Sane Man: The least quirky of the group.
- The Smart Guy: He's the first to figure out that the Rapture is taking place on Earth.
- Token Religious Teammate: Not exactly religious persay since he didn't get raptured, but Jay is the first person to believe that they are experiencing the Apocalypse and ends up converting.
- Asshole Victim: Surprisingly averted. In the sense that we don't see him die. Nevertheless, he is stuck on a hellish Earth and is never going to Heaven.
- Big Eater: Danny says he made the huge breakfast with all of Franco's food for the guys. Though on the contrary he didn't wait for the guys to wake up and started eating away.Franco: He's been eating non-stop! The fucker's gained weight since he got here!
- Depraved Bisexual: Although he's clearly aroused by heterosexual porn, he suggests making Jay the house bitch, and ends up turning Channing Tatum into his sex slave.
- Captain Oblivious: Doesn't even realize what's been going on outside until the other guys open the door.
- Face Death with Dignity: Before getting banned from the house, and failing to shoot them all to death, Danny just settles for a "Reason You Suck" Speech on everyone one of them and leaves out the door while flipping them all off. Subverted as he survives later on.
- The Friend Nobody Likes: Which is why the others elect to kick him out of the house.
- From Nobody to Nightmare: Starts off as an obnoxious and foul-mouthed asshole, but then becomes a cannibalistic and homicidal rapist.
- The Hedonist: James points out that he's the only one of them who actually gained weight during their ordeal.
- Jerkass: Biggest jerk in the movie.
- Jerkass Has a Point: Subverted. Before he leaves the house, he calls out James for giving him a gun filled with blanks on his way out. As Seth points out, Danny tried to kill them all with said gun.
- Then its immediately played straight when he gives them all a "Reason You Suck" Speech. He wasnt wrong about any of them, and they knew that.
- Jerk with a Heart of Jerk: He appears to have mellowed down slightly when hes about to leave the house, per the majority vote. Unfortunately, he takes James' prop gun and attempts to shoot everybody. Then, it gets worse when he becomes the leader of a group of cannibals, completely disregarding human nature, tries to eat Seth and Jay, and succeeds in eating James.
- Karma Houdini: Depending on how you look at it. He maybe still alive at the end leading a ban of cannibals with Channing Tatum as a Sex Slave, but hes still trapped on a demon infested hellhole of a planet.
- I'm a Humanitarian: Im a cannibal man! And he leads a group of them after getting kicked out.
- Laughably Evil: A huge asshole, but so goddamn funny!
- Mean Character, Nice Actor: Danny McBride is said to be a total sweetheart in real life.
- The Millstone
- Never My Fault: Despite starting it himself, he blames Jay for suggesting that they rape Emma Watson.
- Pet the Dog: Downplayed, but in his rant against the other guys, hes just disappointed in Craig and doesnt call him out on any of his flaws like the others. Also earlier when the soon to be headless man begged to be let in, Danny decided to just do it before the guy was killed.
- Psychopathic Man Child: He acts like a total brat when the others try to curb his reckless behavior, such as deliberately wasting half a jug of water after being told that he can only have one glass.
- The Sixth Ranger: Doesn't appear until about 32 minutes into the movie, asleep in James' bathtub after not being invited to the party.
- Villain Protagonist: Starting as a mere Unsympathetic Comedy Protagonist, he ends up becoming this.
- Ascended to a Higher Plane of Existence: The first one of the main five (six if you count McBride to do so.
- Badass Boast: He gives one to a demon before sacrificing himself by fighting it but is raptured before the demon could kill him.
- The Big Guy: He considers himself the muscle of the team, which is why he volunteered to help Jay forage for food.
- Black Best Friend: To Jay.
- Black Dude Dies First: In a sense, as he's the first one of them to be raptured.
- Dirty Coward: Refuses to help Aziz when he gets stuck in the pit dismissing him as a lost cause (which is shown to be false, as Jay manages to pull himself out even after Jonah shoves him in) and is later shown lying to everyone about how he tried to help him. He gets better about this as the film goes on, helping Jay search for supplies when everyone else refuses to go outside and being the first to perform a Heroic Sacrifice resulting in his getting raptured.
- Screams Like a Little Girl: Bringing back the scream that Matheson used in Pineapple Express.
- Sophisticated as Hell: Before everything goes to Hell, seen near the beginning, playing a lovely piano piece and crooning the deliberately contrasting blue refrain.
- Token Good Teammate: He's the only one to believe Jay's theory about the Rapture taking place and is the first one to make a Heroic Sacrifice and be raptured to Heaven.
- Token Minority: Only African American within the main group.
- Action Girl: She survived the sinkhole incident for days in a drainpipe.
- Ax-Crazy: She even has an actual axe.
- Hero of Another Story: She escaped the house party and returned a day or two later with an axe. Having managed to survive the mass hysteria and roaming demons.
- Poor Communication Kills: When she misheard the gang's conversation, thinking they wanted to rape her; her retaliation is to break Seth's nose, castrate James Franco's penis statue and steal all their booze at Axe point.
- Pintsized Powerhouse: Despite being the shortest of the survivors, she's a heavy hitter with her Axe.
- Smurfette Principle: Subverted. It looked like she was going to join them, but then a misreading of their outside conversation in which the word rape was being thrown around (when they really wanted her to be comfortable around them) screws that over.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: No one knows what happened to her, after she stole the gang's booze.
- Wrong Genre Savvy: She think's it's a Zombie Apocalypse when it's really The Actual Apocalypse.