A list of characters from The Wallflower
The female lead. Sunako is a girl who usually locks herself away inside her room and chooses to live without any desire for light or beauty after a traumatic experience when she was rejected and told that she was ugly by her first love.
- The Ace: When Sunako tries, she can be decently good at almost anything - even the more feminine arts. The trick is getting her to care.
- Action Girl: Can out run, out jump and beat up most characters. She's a good fit for Kyohei in that way.
- Allergic to Love: The main obstacle keeping her and Kyohei from getting together is how Sunako can't have a single intimate moment with him without freaking out and getting nosebleeds to the point of hemorrhage.
- Aloof Dark-Haired Girl: Whenever she gains enough confidence, she breaks out of her Super-Deformed mode and becomes a beautiful pale-skinned girl with long black hair and an aloof and graceful attitude.
- Battle Couple: With Kyohei.
- Beautiful All Along: Whenever she gains enough confidence to break out of her Super-Deformed mode.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: With Kyohei.
- Bifauxnen: In Chapter 73.
- Birds of a Feather: Superficial differences aside she's very similar to Kyohei.
- Blinding Bangs: In her chibi version, her bangs hide her eyes.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Sunako lives in her own crazy and creepy world.
- Creepy Loner Girl: One of the best examples to find in anime and manga. She apparently was a normal girl once, but getting rejected by her crush shocked her so much that she took on an extremely gloomy personality, got obsessed with creepy stuff and no one would be blamed for mistaking her for a Stringy-Haired Ghost Girl. Her only 'friends' are the anatomical dolls she keeps in her room. Her housemates have the mission to change her from this to a Proper Lady.
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette: With her sickly pale skin and long black hair combined with her creepy behaviour, it's easy to mistake her for a Stringy-Haired Ghost Girl.
- Even the Girls Want Her: Hilariously enough Kyohei's goth stalker fan club ends up falling for her.
- Everybody Hates Mathematics: Math is the only subject in which she doesn't get good grades.
- Feminine Women Can Cook: Sunako is an excellent cook, specializing in Japanese home cooking. She is also very skilled at domestic tasks like laundry, cleaning and sewing. In fact when the other female cast members need to learn these traditionally feminine skills, they turn to Sunako.
- The First Cut Is the Deepest: At first, this seems to be the source of all her personality problems. After her first love rejected by calling her ugly, she turned into the gloomy and isolated girl she is now. This eventually gets subverted when it's made clear Sunako isn't bothered by the rejection anymore and she continues to act the same way. She met her first love again and turned out to have partly forgotten about the incident. It seems that besides the initial hurt, this is who she is and she's mostly ok with that.
- Friend to All Children: Sunako bonds easily with children - she's notably more patient and understanding around them.
- Girls Love Chocolate: Loves chocolate.
- Hikikomori: She does go to school, but she prefers to spend most of her time shut inside her dark room with her anatomical dolls.
- Hime Cut: It goes with her aspiring Yamato Nadeshiko theme.
- I Am Not Pretty: Sunako believes she is ugly simply because a boy she liked told her she was. Cue the whole series revolving around her "ugliness", even though she's a bishoujo.
- Inconvenient Attraction: The sole thought of acknowledging any romantic feelings for Kyohei sends Sunako into panic and denial because she's afraid love will change the way she is.
- Lonely Doll Girl: She has two anatomical dolls that she considers to be her friends.
- Loners Are Freaks
- Maybe Ever After: Sunako keeps refusing to even acknowledge the possibility that she's in love with Kyohei right to the end of the final chapter, but she does admit he's "particularly bright" to her.
- Nightmare Fetishist: Hoo boy. She loves horror movies, anatomical dolls, ghosts and monsters, basically anything that's considered spooky or creepy.
- Nosebleed: Her reaction to seeing "Bright Creatures".
- Oblivious to Love: Pretty much all the romantic subtext between her and Kyohei goes right over her head.
- The Only One Allowed to Defeat You: She repeatedly claims she's the only one who can kill the "Bright Creature" (Kyohei). This is her excuse for why she always comes to his rescue when he's in trouble.
- The Ophelia: A comedic parody of this.
- Post-Kiss Catatonia: She went into severe catatonia after her kiss with Kyohei, and often doesn't even need another kiss to go into it again, now.
- Purple Eyes: She has lavender eyes and while not magical, there's no doubt that she's special.
- Rapunzel Hair: Her hair reaches past her waist.
- Raven Hair, Ivory Skin: When she's cleaned up, Sunako turns into a gorgeous lady with pale white skin and long black hair that fits perfectly the image of the traditional Japanese beauty everyone wants her to be.
- She Cleans Up Nicely: Made clear even in the first chapter.
- Super-Deformed: Almost all the time.
- Supreme Chef: Because Feminine Women Can Cook. Ties into the fact that Sunako is generally good at housework.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Tomboy to Noi's Girly Girl.
- Tomboy with a Girly Streak: Though she isn't exactly into traditionally boy activities, she avoids traditionally girl activities in every way and loves anything creepy. She has surprising domestic skills, though.
- Tsundere: Heavily on Type A when it comes to Kyohei.
- The Ugly Guy's Hot Daughter: Compared to her father, Sunako looks more attractive.
- Used to Be More Social: Before her first love rejected her, she used to hang out with other girls normally. Now she'd rather to shut herself in her room and talk to her anatomical dolls than getting close to real people.
- Weakened by the Light: That and 'bright creatures'.
- When She Smiles: After Kyohei gets Hiroshi back from the three schoolgirls, Sunako gives him a rather beautiful smile, much to the others' shock.
- Will They or Won't They?: With Kyohei, to ridiculous heights. They might.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: She is supposed to become one, she has the domestic skills and looks (when she isn't drawn chibi-style) but she's made the conscious decision to let all the other traits slide due to first reject trauma.
The male lead. The most popular and physically attractive of the four boys. Kyohei is initially seen as selfish, blunt, and demanding and has no inclination to be gentle towards Sunako unless it will reduce rent, but eventually develops feelings for her.
- Battle Couple: With Sunako.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: With Sunako.
- Berserk Button: Pretty much anyone who touches Sunako, whether it be intimacy or violent, will get him riled up.
- Big Eater: Loves shrimp and fried things and meat and generally unhealthy food.
- Birds of a Feather: With Sunako.
- Brilliant, but Lazy: Is effortlessly amazing at sports and hinted to be smarter than you'd expect. It's just that he's lazy, selfish and easily distracted so he never applies himself.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: Has shown this mostly in the manga towards Sunako.
- Dark and Troubled Past: He was stalked, kidnapped, and molested continuously, starting from when he was a child. His mother blamed him for the constant harassment he attracted to the house and effectively threw him out of the house when she couldn't take it anymore.
- Even the Guys Want Him: Gains the attraction of both women and men because of how good-looking he is.
- Favors for the Sexy: As much as he hates his looks, Kyohei is not above accepting favors and (especially) food for being beautiful.
- Hair-Trigger Temper
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: He's rude, greedy, and unpleasant in general, but he does show a soft and morally correct side, especially towards Sunako.
- Manchild: As constantly lampshaded, Kyohei can be very immature at times.
- Maybe Ever After: At the end of the manga, Kyohei knows Sunako isn't ready to fall in love and he chooses to leave their relationship just the way it is. There might still be some hope for them in the future, though.
- Oblivious to Love: Not quite as bad as Sunako (he realized that he liked her way before she did) but people had to beat him over the head with the idea.
- Rape as Backstory: Heavily implied to be the case, as he's said to have been constantly harassed and molested his entire life. Revealed to be a Bait-and-Switch in volume 35, in which Ranmaru correctly surmises that he's a virgin.
- She Is Not My Girlfriend: To Sunako.
- So Beautiful, It's a Curse: Good God. Not only does his looks make him a usual target of sexual harassment and stalkers, but also ruins his relationship with his mother.
- Through His Stomach: He denies that he has feelings for Sunako, but admits that he likes her cooking.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Strawberries. His love for Fried Shrimp seems to be more prevalent though.
- We Want Our Jerk Back: Whenever he becomes a Nice Guy, people usually end up freaking out and demanding this.
- Will They or Won't They?: With Sunako, to ridiculous heights. They might.
The most intellectual of the four. Takenaga was originally from a wealthy family descended from flower masters, but when the pressure of being the family heir was too much, he became completely withdrawn and ignored everyone. He was sent to live at the Landlady's mansion in hopes of becoming more "normal".
- Beta Couple: With Noi.
- Raven Hair, Ivory Skin
- Sickeningly Sweethearts: Sometimes with Noi.
- Sugar-and-Ice Personality: Truly loves Noi but is terrible at communicating it leading to hilarious shenanigans
- Tall, Dark, and Handsome
A ladies' man, Ranmaru is often going out with various beautiful older (and often married) women. The very sight of Sunako initially has him breaking out in hives, but when her true beauty is revealed, he decides that she has "potential" to become a real lady. Like Takenaga, he comes from a wealthy family (who own a series of hotel chains), but was sent to live with the Landlady because he exploited his wealth and his parents wanted him to become "normal".
- The Casanova
- Commitment Issues: He does have some feelings for Tamao, but he's so much of a playboy that he really doesn't want to settle down with anyone yet.
- Handsome Lech
- Ladykiller in Love: It's hinted that he is becoming this in regards to his arranged fiancée, Tamao.
- Millionaire Playboy
- Perfectly Arranged Marriage: With Tamao. She really loves him and it's hinted that he's becoming a Ladykiller in Love for her.
- Tsundere: Will occasionally act like this when he refuses to acknowledge that he likes Tamao.
Yukinojo "Yuki" Toyama
The most "normal" of the four boys; before coming to live at the mansion he had a normal school life with a middle-class family. His mother and the Landlady are old friends and the Landlady, and Sunako at times, has a soft spot for Yuki.
- Adorkable: He's sometimes a bit childish and awkward, adding to his appeal.
- Big Brother Instinct: Has a little brother and sister (who are twins), and he absolutely adores them (and they adore him right back).
- Birds of a Feather: With his girlfriend Machiko.
- Bishōnen: Though he's more "cute" than "pretty-boyish" or "handsome".
- Nice Guy
- Only Sane Man: While he still has his fair share of quirks, then Yuki will usually serve as the voice of reason.
- Poor Communication Kills: Can occasionally say thoughtless things around his girlfriend which she then blows completely out of proportion due to low self-esteem issues.
- Sweet Tooth: He loves sweets.
- Wholesome Crossdresser: Frequently finds himself having to dress up like a girl, whether for disguises or to trick someone.
Takenaga's girlfriend. She is pretty and exceedingly popular. Noi is Sunako's closest friend at school, where Sunako is scorned for her terrifying demeanor and association with the boys. She admires Sunako's tough attitude and also believes that Sunako and Kyohei are compatible as a couple.
- Beta Couple: With Takenaga.
- Nice Girl
- Romantic Two-Girl Friendship: Grows into this with Sunako as they become close friends .
- Shipper on Deck: For Kyohei and Sunako.
- Sickeningly Sweethearts: Sometimes with Takenaga.
- Sixth Ranger: Gets just as much exposure as the boys later on even when she wasn't part of the original group
- Smitten Teenage Girl
- Thinks Like a Romance Novel: Her efforts to get Sunako and Kyohei together are ripped straight from cheesy romance mangas.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Girly Girl to Sunako's Tomboy. She's also the Tomboy to Tamao Kikunoi
Mine Nakahara (The Landlady)
Sunako's aunt, who expects Kyohei, Takenaga, Yuki, and Ranmaru to make Sunako into a lady.
- Eccentric Millionaire
- Large Ham: Loves her dramatic gestures like lounging around with tigers and dramatic declarations of love on helicopters.
- The Mourning After: An interesting example. She does date and marry men after her first husband but it's shown that she doesn't truly love them like she did her darling.
- Noblewoman's Laugh
- Purple Eyes
- Rich in Dollars, Poor in Sense: Tried to date a relatively poor person once and do housework and such activities and failed miserably
- Why Couldn't You Be Different?: This is how she feels about Sunako and the reason she wants the guys to "fix" her.
- Widow Woman
Ranmaru's fiancée. She is extremely wealthy and studies at an all-girls school. Despite Ranmaru's playboy qualities, she has fallen in love with him. His rejection of her does not faze her, hoping that eventually he would come to feel the same way.
- Perfectly Arranged Marriage: She really loves Ranmaru and it's hinted that he's becoming a Ladykiller in Love for her.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Whenever she's around, she's the girly girl to pretty much everyone else.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: Sweet and demure, but also has the subtle touch of strength too.
Four girls who are completely obsessed with the main boys of the series.
- Abhorrent Admirers: Would be this to the guys, but they barely even register on the guys' radar, much less actually try to pursue them.
- Butt-Monkey: Is the butt of constant jokes especially when their schemes fail miserably
- Elegant Gothic Lolita: They dress like this, but they're far from elegant.
- Quirky Miniboss Squad