Lillian 'Lily' Salvatore
Stefan and Damon's mother. Lily died of consumption in 1858. In Season Six, it is revealed Lily actually became a vampire. She eventually became a Ripper vampire like Stefan was. Lily was imprisoned in a Prison World by the Gemini Coven of witches on October 31, 1903.
- HeelFace Turn: She turns against Julian when it is revealed what he did to Valerie and her unborn child, siding with her sons and the Heretics who sided with her against him.
- Heroic Suicide: She stakes herself under the assumption that she is still linked to Julian ,in an attempt to kill him to save her sons, but then he reveals that he unlinked them, meaning she killed herself for nothing.
- Iron Lady: Lillian comes off as very controlling, stoic, and stern. She is also very cold and unloving towards her own sons, although she does come around to loving and accepting her sons as her family later on.
- Killed Off for Real: Dies when she stakes herselfm believing she was still linked to Julian in an attempt to kill him.
- Like Mother, Like Son: Her youngest son Stefan is a Ripper, just like her, and it seems that she passed on the "Ripper gene" onto Stefan.
- Missing Mom: Stefan and Damon initially thought their mom died from tuberculosis in 1858. Turns out she was actually a vampire trapped in a Prison World of 1903 constructed by the Gemini witches.
- Mysterious Past: Her sons knew nothing of her life after she became a vampire and believed her to be dead for centuries.
- Redemption Equals Death: As stated, she turns against Julian after finding out what he did to Valerie and attempts to kill him by staking herself. On her death bed she apologizes to Stefan and Damon and for her actions and abandoning them.
- Parental Abandonment: When Lily first became a vampire, she actually came home to her sons. To her horror, when she came upon a sleeping Stefan she was tempted to feed on him. So, she decided to leave her family to protect them from a dangerous vampire.
- That Man Is Dead: As Lily grew closer to the Heretics throughout their imprisonment in 1903, she became more fond of them, that overtime she began to consider them her family. She admits to Damon that the mother he knew her once wasn't able to reconcile with the person she was becoming.
- This Is Unforgivable!: When she is dying from staking herself and is apologizing to her sons, Damon refuses to forgive her for her suggesting to Kai to curse Elena by linking her life to Bonnie, resulting in her being in a magical coma until Bonnie dies.
- The Alcoholic: Stefan mentions how after his mother died, Giuseppe became a heavy drinker.
- Blood Knight: Giuseppe is always eager to kill and eradicate as many vampires as possible.
- Drowning My Sorrows: After Giuseppe's wife died, he used alcohol as a coping mechanism for his grief.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: Giuseppe tries to stake Stefan as a vampire, but instead, Giuseppe ends up fatally wounded after he was staked by the same stake that he was going to use to kill his own son.
- Karmic Death: Giuseppe ends up being killed by his own son Stefan, who happens to be a vampire, the one thing that he hunts and despises.
- Killed Off for Real: After rejecting Stefan for siding with the vampires, he tried to stake him with a wooden stake that he broke off himself, but he was thrown aside with the impact of Stefan's unexpected vampire strength and accidentally stabbed himself with the stake.
- Parental Favoritism: For Stefan, whom he admired for being studious and responsible while he believed his eldest son Damon was irresponsible and lacked any sense of direction.
- Protectorate: As a member of one of the Founding Families of Mystic Falls, Giuseppe had a duty to protect the town of Mystic Falls from vampires.
Sara Nelson (born Sara Salvatore)
- Back for the Dead: Returns in season 8 and gets killed by Sybil in the one episode she appears in.
- Character Death: Stabbed by Sybil and dies in front of Stefan in season 8.
- But Not Too Black: Justified. Her father was white while her mother was black.
- Morality Pet: To Enzo and Stefan, who try to keep her safe and let down some of their emotions around her.
- Nice Girl: Lampshaded by Enzo. She's friendly and trusting despite her Dark and Troubled Past
- Happily Adopted: She is content with her adoptive family and has no interest in re-seeking her roots.
- Orphan's Ordeal: Her mother was killed by Damon when she was pregnant (with Sara barely being saved), and her father hypnotized into forgetting she ever existed.
- Too Dumb to Live: Despite Stefan telling how dangerous it is to see Damon, he still sees to it to go and taunt him, which almost gets him killed.
- Unfazed Everyman: He was a human distant nephew who lived with Stefan and Damon initially and took a lot of their antics, and other supernatural elements in stride.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: Dies after five episodes in season 1.
- Heroic Sacrifice: After Klaus killed Elena, John sacrificed himself to bring her back to life as a human.
- Senseless Sacrifice: Sacrificing his life to resurrect Elena without her having to turn into a vampire ends up being for nothing when she dies with vampire blood in her system in the season 3 finale, and she completes the transition in the season 4 premier, becoming a vampire.
Grayson Gilbert & Miranda Sommers Gilbert
Grayson and Miranda were Elena and Jeremy's mom and dad. Grayson was also John Gilbert's older brother and the town doctor of Mystic Falls.Grayson and Miranda were both members of the Town Council and thus knew about vampires.
Grayson and Miranda were both killed in a car accident going off Wickery Bridge before the start of the series. It's later revealed that Grayson and Miranda were actually Elena's biological uncle and aunt making Jeremy her cousin.
- Birds of a Feather: Miranda was this with Kelly Donovan and Liz Forbes when she was alive.
- Dark and Troubled Past: In season 5, Grayson is revealed to have been apart of the Augustine Society and participated in the torture and experimentation on vampires.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Grayson gestures to Stefan to rescue Elena instead of himself when they are drowning underwater when the car crashed resulting in his death as Stefan only had enough time to save one of them.
- Posthumous Characters: Before the beginning of the series, Grayson and Miranda drowned after their car fell off of Wickery Bridge and into the lake.
- Secret Keepers: As members of the council they knew of the existence of vampires and the supernatural and kept the information secret from their children and the town.
Elena and Jeremy's ancestor who was part of the vampire round up in Mystic Falls in 1864.
Sheila 'Grams' Bennett
- Killed Off for Real: The effort for breaking the spell sealing the vampires in the tomb to release Stefan and Damon had greatly weakened her. She died not much time later.
- Parental Abandonment: She abandoned Bonnie when Mikael came to town many years ago, and imprisoning him takes away all her magic, resulting in her never going back to her family.
Rudy Hopkins was the mayor of Mystic Falls, the ex-husband of Abby Bennett Wilson and the father of Bonnie Bennett.
- Call-Back: He later goes through with Bill Forbes's plan of putting vervain in the water supply.
- The Ghost: Spends three and a half seasons being unseen until season 4.
- Killed Off for Real: By Silas who slits his throat.
- Locked Out of the Loop: Just like her friends, he was unaware that Bonnie was dead as Jeremy was sending texts and messages to make it look like she was still alive. He was still unaware at the moment of his death.
- Overprotective Dad: The moment he arrives in town and becomes mayor, he attempts to keep Bonnie away from her vampire friends and stop her from using magic even to help them. Though justified by the fact that he didn't want her to get killed by vampires and he was afraid that her using magic would make her end up like her mother who lost her powers and eventually ended up getting turned into a vampire and abandoned her family before that because of her witch duties.
- Muggle: Minor human character on the show and died as a human as well without ever being turned into a vampire.
Sheriff Elizabeth 'Liz' Forbes
Liz was the sheriff of Mystic Falls and a member of the Founder's Council. She was the ex-wife of late fellow Founder's Council member Bill Forbes, who came out as being gay, and mother of Caroline. She initially struggled to accept Caroline's identity as a vampire given her prejudices, but in time she learned to love her daughter for who she is.
- Accidental Murder: She accidentally killed Jeremy when she shoots at Damon, and he dodges the bullet, hitting Jeremy. Bonnie is forced to have the witch ancestors bring him back, since Liz wasn't a supernatural creature, meaning that the Gilbert ring wouldn't bring him back.
- Big Damn Heroes: When, in Season 3, Caroline is kidnapped and tortured by her father to try and suppress her vampirism, Liz (and Tyler) burst in and save the day.
- Heel Realization: She has this when she accidentally kills Jeremy when she was trying to kill Damon, and after this she accepts Caroline for what she is.
- Incompatible Orientation: Bill Forbes, her husband and father to Caroline, left her when he came out as a homosexual.
- Killed Off for Real: Succumbs to cancer in Season 6.
- Mama Bear: Sheriff Forbes has a strained relationship with her daughter, but she cares for her well-being. When Caroline gets drunk at the Mystic Grill, she arrests the bartender for not checking the IDs properly (unaware that Lexi had used compulsion on him). She later fights against other supernatural creatures and will also cover up murders done by her vampire friends to protect her daughter.
- Odd Friendship: Has this with Damon before finding out he's a vampire and, even after finding out, Damon shows that he legitimately considers her his friend by not killing her like he did with her deputies. She generally starts seeing him as a friend when she accepts her daughter as a vampire and that not all vampires are evil. They later become best friends. Damon is also distraught when she dies from cancer and gives a eulogy at her funeral.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: When she was able to accept that her daughter Caroline is a vampire, she becomes this and by also helping the Salvatore brothers and her other friends with the supernatural problems of the town.
- Unwitting Pawn: When Damon manipulates her into killing Lexi by making her seem like the dangerous vampire.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: She is at first this when she is hunting and killing vampires because as far as she knew they were all evil and she was protecting the town by killing them before they can kill anyone else. This attitude towards vampires results in her trying to kill her own daughter when finding out she was turned into one.
William "Bill" Forbes II was a Mystic Falls resident who returned to point out all the failings of the current Councils attempts to keep vampires out of town, after discovering that his daughter, Caroline, is one of them.
- Badass Normal: He is a human with no supernatural powers, until he's murdered with the vampire blood still in his system. However he refuses to feed to complete the transition and dies.
- Death Equals Redemption: He accepts that Caroline is a vampire and spends his final moments with her as he is dying from not completing the transition.
- Face Death with Dignity: When killed with vampire blood in his system and left with the choice to either become a vampire or die, he chose the latter without hesitation, and uses his remaining time to reconcile with his daughter and ex-wife, waiting calmly for his death.
- Have I Mentioned I Am Gay?: The only reason that we know that he is gay, is because people keep saying that he is, not because he ever kisses men or anything. Even then he only mentions his off-screen boyfriend once when Caroline asks about him.
- Hypocrite: He believes he can make Caroline change what she is, despite the fact that he is a homosexual. Weirdly enough, he also averts this trope regarding his conviction that vampirism and cheating death are wrong, as seen in the Face Death with Dignity entry.
- Immune to Mind Control: The only known human character so far who can actually No-Sell a vampire's compelling without relying on vervain.
- Incompatible Orientation: He left his wife Liz when he came out as a homosexual.
- Karmic Transformation: Subverted and defied; he is killed with vampire blood in his system, but refuses to complete his transformation and lets himself die instead.
- Killed Off for Real: By Alaric (while he was taken over by The Darkness), who stabbed him to death and cut his throat while having vampire blood in his system.
- Straight Gay: He is not stereotypical, and, as stated, the only reason you know he is gay is because the other characters talk about him being so, and that he left Liz when he came out.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: He comes back to town when he finds out that Caroline is a vampire and his intention is to teach her how to control her vampire nature, but his methods on teaching her are to torture her with sunlight and starving her to force her to resist the temptation to feed off a people. Also like other members of the founding families. he hunts and kills vampires to protect the town.
- Womanchild: Matt is more of a parent to her than she is to him, being that she's an irresponsible alcoholic.
Peter is Matt and Vicki Donavan's father and he abandoned his family a long time ago. He is shocked when Matt walks back into his life to reconnect and to drags him into a world of supernatural dangers.
- The Atoner: He is trying to make it up to Matt for abandoning him and the family years ago.
- Disappeared Dad: He abandoned his family when he left Mystic Falls years ago.
- Locked Out of the Loop: When he lived in Mystics Falls he was unaware of the existence of vampires and doesn't learn of this until Damon shows up.
- The Reveal: He is revealed to be Matt's father in his debut episode. This also makes him Vicki's father.
Mayor Richard Lockwood
- Action Mom: A mother who is willing to fight the monsters of Mystic Falls, especially to protect her son.
- Killed Off for Real: Carol is drowned by Klaus as revenge for Tyler's attempt to immobilize him.
- Agent Scully: Plays up his reputation as a skeptic, but he knows for a fact that there's more out there.
- Awakening the Sleeping Giant: When he was first confronted by Damon, he made it clear he had no intention of being the Salvatore's enemy and would rather mind his own business. Damon tried to kill him regardless, resulting in him actively trying to get the two brothers killed. Partially subverted when it's revealed he was working for Katherine anyway; his mission just didn't involve harming them.
- Back from the Dead: In season 3 he appears as a ghost to Damon in order to hurt him, but also help him find a way to defeat Klaus, in order to help his nephew, who Klaus turned into a hybrid.
- Blatant LiesTyler: Your eyes, they glowed... what was that?Mason: Reflection. Off car headlamps.
- Cool Uncle: To Tyler. He is sexy, athletic, and possesses an easygoing charm, making him more likable and cool than his brother and Tyler's father.
- Kick the Dog: While you can't really blame him for trying to get the Salvatore killed after Damon tried to kill him, he really had no good reason to threaten Caroline with revealing her vampiric nature to her mother.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: He dies after a few episodes in season 2.
- Played By: Justin Price
- Living Prop: He exists solely to be Caroline's escort to a prom committee mostly containing Founding Families members in one episode.
- The Maiden Name Debate: Implied by his hyphenated last name.
- Tangled Family Tree: His exact relationship to Tyler, his parents and Mason is unclear.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: Alaric eventually claims that Tyler was the last of the Lockwood's, making it unclear whether Jeffrey (and Gracie Lockwood, an unseen female relative mentioned in season 4) were killed offscreen at some point or simply weren't being counted for being more distant relatives and/or uninvolved in the supernatural.