The Herectics (Vampire/Witch Hybrids)
Valerie Tulle was a member of the Herectics. Valerie, previously on becoming a heretic, was a siphoner who was banished from the Gemini Coven for being an abomination in their eyes. She then became a nurse in a Santarium, where she met the human, who eventually became a vampire, Lily Salvatore. The both of them bonded, and after Lily turned into a vampire, she took the orphan Valerie under her wing. She then sent Valerie to check on the well being of her younger son, Stefan. Valerie and the latter fell in love, and had a brief fling, which ended up with Valerie being pregnant. After that she left with Julian, but after learning of her pregnancy, she tried to leave him and Lily, and to return to Stefan, but Julian found out, and knowing that Valerie would be a distraction to Lily, he beat her until she miscarried. She was desperate, and in deep grief, and so she took her own life, but died with Lily's blood in her system, and so became the first Heretic in existence. She told no one about Julian's misdeeds, and kept the whole incident a secret for over a century and a half. For a few decades, she traveled Europe with the heretics, Julian and Lily, and in 1903, when they all returned to the U.S, the Gemini Coven ambushed all of them, and locked them up in a Prison World for their mass slaughters in Europe.
- Becoming the Mask: When she met Stefan she was only supposed to spy on him for Lily his mother, but instead falls in love with him.
- First Love: She is revealed to have been this to Stefan before he met Katherine.
- HeelFace Turn: She was initially an antagonistic character but then she starts helping the heroes, including Caroline, Stefan's current girlfriend.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: She decides to leave Stefan because she knows that he really wants to be Caroline.
- New Old Flame: After she's introduced, we learn that she was Stefan's first love (even before Katherine) and they briefly become a couple again.
- Sole Survivor: She is the only remaining member of the Herectics who is still alive at the end of the season.
- Temporary Love Interest: Her and Stefan become a couple during the three years he was running from Rayna until she breaks up with him knowing that he was only with her because he couldn't be with Caroline.
Mary Louise was a member of the Heretics who had a romantic relationship with fellow member, Nora.
- Badass Lesbian: Been in a relationship with Nora for centuries and as a Herectic is a very powerful witch and vampire hybrid.
- Berserk Button: Do not insult or mock Nora. Caroline learned the hard way.
- Dead Lesbian Syndrome: Along with Nora she is the first lesbian character introduced on the show only to be killed off near the end of the season.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: Deeply cares for Nora and her adoptive family.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Becomes jealous of Nora's friendship with Bonnie.
- Heroic Suicide: She crashes the car to spare Nora from ending up in the Phoenix Stone and at the same time the crash destroys the stone releasing the souls it contained and forever sparing other vampires from the stone.
- Killed Off for Real: Dies in a car explosion when she crashes the car to destroy the Phoenix Stone.
- Lipstick Lesbian: Both Nora and Mary Louise are very feminine and stylish.
- Single-Target Sexuality: Nora was the only woman she has ever been with and they have been a couple for centuries.
- Together in Death: Mary's main reason for crashing the car is so that her and Nora can die together instead of spending centuries running from Rayna until the day Nora succumbs to her magical illness leaving Mary to live alone.
- Undying Loyalty: She was so loyal to Julian that she refused to turn on him, while the others did because of Valerie telling them what he did to her centuries ago. She chooses to believe that Valerie is lying and her loyalty to him even turns her against Nora.
- Violently Protective Girlfriend: Doesn't like anyone messing with Nora.
Nora Hildegard was a member of the Heretics who had a romantic relationship with fellow member, Mary Louise.
- Badass Lesbian: Like her girlfriend Mary, she is a very powerful witch and vampire hybrid.
- Dead Lesbian Syndrome: First lesbian character introduced along with Mary only to end up getting killed off along with her near the end of the season.
- Forgiven, but Not Forgotten: Bonnie forgives her for knocking her out, stabbing Stefan with the Phoenix Stone, and generally her other earlier actions but she reminds her that she won't allow her to ever hurt her friends again.
- HeelFace Turn: After befriending Bonnie, she becomes an ally to her.
- Killed Off for Real: Dies with Mary in the car explosion when she crashes the car.
- Lipstick Lesbian: Both Nora and Mary Louise are very feminine and stylish.
- Mercy Kill: Mary crashing the car spared her of dying slowly from her illness and also prevented her from ending up in the hell of the Phoenix Stone if Rayna caught them.
- Morality Pet: To Mary Louise, who loves her and would do anything for her, despite being hostile to nearly everyone else.
- Odd Friendship: Later in the season she becomes friends with Bonnie despite the fact that they were enemies earlier in the season and Nora has attempted to kill her and her friends on several occasions. Even after she knocks out Bonnie under the assumption that she was distracting her so that Stefan can kidnap and torture Mary for information on Julian, they still later retain their new friendship.
- Single-Target Sexuality: Mary Louise is the only woman she has ever been with, being a couple for centuries. Also a subversion because unlike Mary she does show interest in other women when they get out of the prison world and shows interest in dating when they are temporarily broken up. It is also implied that she was attracted to Bonnie when they became friends and she even purposely flirts with Bonnie to make Mary jealous.
- Together in Death: She agrees to die with Mary when she crashes the car as she also doesn't want to be apart from her and she was going to die anyway because of her illness.
- Violently Protective Girlfriend: Just like Mary is protective of her she is also protective of Mary. This shown when even though they were broken up she stabs Stefan with the Phoenix Stone Knife as a result of him kidnapping and torturing Mary in an attempt to find Julian and before this knocks out Bonnie who she was starting to get along with because she assumed that she was in on it.
Beau was a member of the Gemini Coven who was banished because he was a siphoner. Later he met Lillian Salvatore, a vampire who later turned him into a hybrid; half-vampire, half-witch. He became a member of her family, renowned for his talent in opera singing. A long time ago he was stabbed in the throat by Rayna Cruz taking away his ability to speak.
- Alas, Poor Villain: He is killed by Rayna and put into the Phoenix Stone and when it is destroyed he ends up in another vampire's body gaining back his ability to speak only to end up getting killed by Damon.
- Character Death: As stated, he is killed by Rayna and she burns his body and he is Killed Off for Real when Damon kills him when he is in another vampire's body.
- Informed Ability: His family always mentions that he used to be a good opera singer before he lost his ability to speak, this is confirmed in a flashback.
- The Speechless: As stated he is unable to speak because of Rayna stabbing him in the throat many years ago.
- Token Minority: He is the only black member of the Herectics.
Member of the Herectics who was killed not long after getting out the prison world. He was arrogant and sarcastic, but was shown to care for the well being of his "family", as he brought many of them to Lily and saved them from their families.
- Killed Off for Real: He is killed by Bonnie and Damon by setting a trap for him and ripping his heart out.
- Sacrificial Lion: He seems to have been killed off to escalate the conflict between the main characters and the Herectics because before this they were mostly keeping a low profile to avoid attention and weren't really trying to go after the Salvatores because of Lily being their mother and wanting everybody in both her families to get along.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: He is killed off in his debut episode, yet he does appear in the flashbacks to the Herectics' past.
Member of the Herectics who was sent out to find the Phoenix Stone. He is shown to be laid-back and friendly and unlike the other Herectics he isn't prone to violence and murder and only desires freedom.
- Character Death: He is killed by Valerie to make sure her family never finds the Phoenix Stone.
- Expy: He's pretty much the Damon of the Herectic family.
- Token Minority: While Beau is the only black member, he is the only Asian member. Yet the group is also made up of 3 females with two of them being a lesbian couple.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: Second Herectic to get killed off in his debut episode and his appearances in the rest of the season doesn't count because it is another vampire who is possessing his body after it is resurrected.
Julian was a recurring character and an antagonist in the seventh season of The Vampire Diaries. He was a vampire who was turned in the early 1500's, and he has been the lover of Lillian Salvatore for over a century and a half. Julian was eventually killed by Rayna Cruz in 1903, and his soul was sealed in the Phoenix Stone in punishment until Lily and the Heretics were able to use the stone to resurrect him in I Carry Your Heart With Me. He is also the person who killed Stefan and Valerie's unborn child, and almost killed Valerie in the process. After Lily died, Julian, who blamed the Salvatore brothers, kills Damon with the Phoenix Sword. After Damon and Stefan are brought back to life, Julian takes amusement in their torments from the Phoenix Stone. After being fed up of Julian and his past actions, Stefan uses Valerie to hold him down with magic, while Stefan then drives a stake through his heart, permanently killing Julian in revenge.
- Big Bad: Functions as this in the first half of season seven before the three year Time Skip where Rayna takes over as the big bad.
- The Caligula: When he brings about his vampire army into Mystic Falls, he uses it to feed on and torment the human population and even has those under his rule fight to the death for his amusement.
- The Dreaded: Valerie really didn't want Lillian and the others to resurrect him, but this is because he was responsible for killing her unborn child and her which resulted in her becoming a vampire.
- Entitled Bastard: Has been manipulating Lilly and the Heretics during their time together, beats Valerie into having a miscarriage and taunts her about it, and later brings a vampire army into Mystic Falls. When Valerie and the Salvatore brother gets Lilly and the other Heretics to see through his facade, he acts like he was the one who is wrong and deserving of vengeance.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: Averted. He truly seems to care for Lillian and the other Herectics, but later links his life to Lillian to protect himself, before having it unlinked when she kills herself, taunting her about it as she does so. The affection he gives the Heretic's are lies and manipulation to keep them wrapped around his finger. With Valerie when it is revealed that he once beat her to death and in doing so killed her unborn baby.
- Greater-Scope Villain: He is responsible for bringing the Herectics together. Also is unintentionally responsible for Rayna Cruz becoming a powerful vampire hunter.
- Karmic Death: Is stabbed to death by Stefan and Valerie, under a cloaking spell so none of his minions can see or hear him, leaving him helpless.
- The Sociopath: He is shown to be remorseless and is even more bloodthirsty compared to the Herectics, and even other vampires. He doesn't even have his humanity switch turned off.
- Unwitting Instigator of Doom: He was the one who triggered Rayna Cruz's Start of Darkness when he killed her father which motivated her to undergo the spell that turned her into the dreaded vampire hunter she becomes.
- Villainous Breakdown: Suffers one when Lillian and some of the other Heretics finally see through his lies. He ends up having something if a tantrum, ripping a room apart.
Rayna Cruz was a recurring character and the primary antagonist in the seventh season of The Vampire Diaries. She was a Shamanic Huntress hailing around the 19th Century, the daughter of Vicente Cruz, who was a member of the Brotherhood of the Five, and was a fierce vampire huntress whose sole purpose was to eradicate and incarcerate Vampires within the Phoenix Stone. After being forced to kill her father by Julian, she became enhanced by a tribe of shamans to get vengeance on Julian, his Heretic family, and all vampires.
Her main target was Stefan Salvatore as he was stabbed by her when she attempted to kill Damon, marking him with her sword, allowing her to find him anywhere and compelling her to kill him. She was willing to kill everyone, no matter the species, that dare to stand in her way. She also bared a striking resemblance to the late Elena Gilbert although she does not seem to be of any relation to Elena or any of her Doppelgängers.
- Action Girl: She had quite the body count to her name.
- Anti-Magic: She's immune to direct offensive magic, as shown when she No Sells Bonnie using telekinesis on her.
- Big Bad: In the three year time skip she is the main threat.
- Born-Again Immortality: The main ability the shamans gave her is the ability to resurrect herself a total of 8 times each time she dies and each time her body bursts into flames and she is reborn from the ashes to the age she was when the shamans gave her the ability.
- Determinator: Obsessed with hunting down Stefan.
- The Dreaded: Julian and the Herectics are all afraid of her. Generally she is this to all vampires who have heard of her or encountered her, even Klaus.
- Expy: You could say her role resembles a supernatural version of a Franchise/Terminator, being an Stoic Implacable Woman who's completely focused on completing her task thanks to the shamans who "created" her and she even has a penchant for ending up naked and having to acquire clothes.
- Fantastic Racism: She hates all vampires and her hate is what drives her to kill them all. Later subverted when she reveals she was in love with a vampire once and she later states that she doesn't feel that Stefan deserves to die. It is also later revealed that her hate for vampires is being fueled by her abilities so she really has no choice but to hate them, even though she knows that not all of them are evil.
- Immortal / Resurrective Immortality: Her ability to resurrect allowed her to live for centuries, but she still ages like a normal human and can be killed in normal ways, but when she revives she comes back to her younger self.
- Implacable Woman: Her enhanced strength and her ability to resurrect makes her almost unstoppable in her goal of killing vampires.
- Identical Stranger: Damon continually points out that she looks just like Elena, and while they do, the resemblance is superficial and it comes off as an Informed Attribute.
- Heroic Sacrifice: She gives her last life to Bonnie and then she kills herself.
- Ms. Fanservice: She's very attractive and ends up naked a lot thanks to her Resurrective Immortality not including her clothes.
- Naked on Revival: Whenever she resurrects herself, she comes back without any clothes.
- Really 700 Years Old: She was born in the 1800's and is able the achieve this thanks to her ability to resurrect combined with aging slowly.
- The Stoic: She can be very stoic and taciturn.
- Thanatos Gambit: She agrees to a deal with Damon and the others to die and in the process give her abilities to Bonnie to cure her of the illness her blood has given her. Though at the moment of her death Rayna reveals that Bonnie will also get her hatred of vampires which will drive her to hunt and kill them and believes that through Bonnie her life long mission will be completed with the added bonus that she will go after Damon.
- The Unfettered: She is driven by only one goal-to kill vampires. She is more specific in hunting the vampires she marked with her knife and knowing where they are at all times because of marking them and will chase them all around the world if necessary until she finds them and kills them.
- Vampire Hunter: Probably the dangerous one in the series.