open/close all folders
Black Pearl/Pink Pearl
The former Pearl of Pink Diamond. After her mistress's shattering, she was taken up by Yellow Diamond and thrown into Project Black. Though she survived the procedure, it took a heavy toll on her mental state. Now she only has one goal: Find Rose Quartz, the gem who shattered her Diamond.
- Almighty Janitor: Even before becoming Black Pearl, she's shown to be a lot more influential than gems of her status usually are. In a flashback it's revealed that she was the one responsible for Pink Diamond receiving earth as a colony.
- Appropriated Appellation: Has been called many things, but took a liking to 'Black Pearl' after hearing some of the rebels refer to her as such.
- Ax-Crazy: Black Pearl is an absolute menace both on and off the battlefield. She shattered and poofed multiple gems during her breakout in Project Black, as well as threatened the head scientist with death to cooperate with her.
- Berserk Button: Talking about Pink Diamond. It usually either triggers her Berserk Mode or causes her to deliver a savage No-Holds-Barred Beatdown to the offending party.
- A lot more subtle, but she seems to dislike other gems name-calling her. When a rebel Agate calls her a freak, she gives her a Death Glare and impales her right arm with the Stain. Later on, the Pyrite captain referring to her with this causes her to pause for a second before she answers.
- She's also infuriated when Chrysoberyl presents her with what she believes to be faulty information, as the official report claims that Pink Diamond's Pearl was with her at the time of her shattering.
- Body Horror: The inclusion of the Stain into her form resulted in several of her limbs being damaged as well as the loss of her right eye.
- Eye Scream: She's missing her right eye, courtesy of Project Black. This can't really be seen in the comic, due to her covering up her damaged eye-socket with her Blinding Bangs.
- Femme Fatalons: Which are sharp enough to cut glass, as she demonstrates for Chrysoberyl.
- Fusion Dance: The Stain grants her the ability to weaponize this; she can forcibly fuse with others by overpowering their will, ravaging their body and leaving them an shattered shell of their former self.
- Glamour Failure: Whenever she gets especially riled up about something, the Stain starts creeping out to cover her body and face.
- Guile Hero: Back when she was Pink's Pearl, she was clever enough to support her Diamond's desires through careful manipulation and string-pulling. Despite her humble station, she was resourceful enough that she set things in motion for Pink to receive Earth as her first colony. Of course, such skills are being put to much darker ends now...
- Peek-a-Bangs: Half of her face is covered by long bangs. Back when she was Pink Pearl, these were swept up in a gravity-defying spike.
- Power at a Price: The Stain used to modify her body has granted her incredibly frightening powers, but her body and mind have become unstable as a result. Many of her senses have been deadened to the point that she no longer derives any enjoyment from them.
- Right for the Wrong Reasons: Believes that all of the official reports about what happened to Pink Diamond are based on faulty information. While she's correct that they don't have the full story, the detail that she thinks proves their falsehood is that they claim Pink's Pearl was with her at the time. And since she wasn't there, there's no way that could be correct... right?
- The Scapegoat: Yellow Diamond considered her a bad influence on Pink, since she encouraged her pursuing her dreams of being treated as an equal and arranged for her to receive her first colony. Thus, she blamed her for Pink's shattering and threw her into Project Black as punishment.
- Sense Loss Sadness: Several of her senses, such as taste, smell, and the ability to perceive colors, have been lost or deadened. Scenes entirely from her point of view are Deliberately Monochrome in order to reflect this.
- You Are Number 6: According to Project Black, she is 'Subject 27'. '27' for short.
One of the gems in charge of Homeworld and the benefactor of Project Black.
- Demoted to Extra: While her role in the story is by no means small, she ultimately gets a lot less characterization and screen-time than she does in the original.
- Large and in Charge: She's one of the rulers of Homeworld and much taller than the gems under her command.
- We Have Reserves: Does not care about all of the gems who were destroyed in Project Black... including the research team. As Chrysoberyl learns the hard way after half of her colleagues got wiped out by Black Pearl.
The head scientist of Project Black. Becomes an unwilling pawn to Black Pearl after the latter manages to escape containment.
- Asshole Victim: It's a little hard to feel bad for her when Black Pearl strong-arms her into being a spy, seeing as she previously tortured Black Pearl with no remorse and is more or less responsible for her being what she is now.
- Four Eyes, Zero Soul: She wears a pair of big round glasses and was complicit in experimenting on and presumably shattering countless gems for Project Black.
- Hourglass Plot: After all of her work on Project Black, she finds herself at the mercy of her greatest 'success', effectively powerless.
- Scary Shiny Glasses: Has those until "Project Black: Aftermath" to symbolize her ruthlessness and general Lack of Empathy. After Black Pearl gets the upper hand on her her eyes are visible almost all the time, showing that she lost all power she had over her former test subject.
- Villains Want Mercy: Ignored all of Black Pearl's cries and pleas while working on her, but stammers and begs to be spared by her former victim.
An elite force under Yellow Diamond's command who accompany Black Pearl on her assignments.
- A Father to His Men: The Pyrite Captain is shown to care a lot for her soldiers, complimenting a Pyrite when she reports taking out a rebel ship. She also seems to have a soft spot for AQ8, who is a lot smaller than the other Pyrites but gets treated just as respectfully by her as them and was unwilling to send troops into the fight alongside Black Pearl out of a (most likely justified) fear she would hurt or shatter them.
- Amazon Brigade: They're a heavily muscled elite force and identify as female like all gems.
- Badass Cape: The Pyrite Captain wears one, most likely as a sign of her high rank.
- Elite Mooks: They are incredibly competent soldiers and have Yellow Diamond's complete trust.
- Fire-Forged Friends: They've been fighting Homeworld for millennia and have become very close in the process, to the point where performing a Heroic Sacrifice so a fellow rebel can get away is something they'd do without hesitation.
- La Résistance: A notorious group of insurgents who have been fighting Homeworld long before the Crystal Gems were founded.
- Ragtag Bunch of Misfits: They're comprised of many different kinds of gems from all over Homeworld.
A warrior of the Old World and current leader of the rebels.
- Big Ol' Eyebrows: Hers are so wide they grow way over her forehead.
- Badass Lesbian: She's in a romantic relationship with fellow rebel gem Moonstone and is an accomplished warrior of the Old World.
- Butch Lesbian: A big heavily muscled gem identifying as female and in a loving relationship with Moonstone.
Formerly a prophet at White Diamond's court, she ran away with Jade and the rebels. Unfortunately for her, this lead to Black Pearl getting involved in the matter...
- Blessed with Suck: Her foresight requires more concentration than Future Vision, and shows what will happen to the subject rather than possibilities. Unfortunately, that means that whatever she sees cannot be prevented. Even if she warns them or takes action to try and shift course herself, her visions have already accounted for such measures.
- The Cutie: Her small and fragile physique coupled with her always prevalent concern for others make it hard not to take an immediate liking to her.
- Lipstick Lesbian: A small elegant and very feminine gem and Jade's lover.
- Waif Prophet: She is a lot smaller and thinner than most of the other rebels and has the ability to see into the future. And unlike with Sapphire, who can only see possible paths, the future she sees is bound to happen and can't be changed.
- You Can't Fight Fate: Any vision that she sees is effectively set in stone, as said vision accounts for things such as any actions the subject might take to try and avoid that result.