Click here to return to the main page.
- Fur Against Fang: The vampires and werewolves do not get on well; some claim this is because the two demon species which originally infected humans, giving rise to the vampires and werewolves, were rivaling species who hated one another. This seems to just be an excuse though as a lot vampires and werewolves get along fine as soon as they let go of their prejudice.
- Half-Human Hybrid: Werewolves can have children with humans. Their children are humans with some wolfie traits, including increased speed and strength.
- Klingon Promotion: This is how a werewolf ascends as leader of a pack. A werewolf can challenge their leader for a fight to the death. Whoever survives is declared the leader.
- Our Werewolves Are Different: In the series, werewolves can either be turned or born. Humans who are bitten by werewolves will turn the next full moon, during which they will have their first painful transformation. Werewolves will continually have involuntary transformation during full moons, but they can control their transformation outside them. Among Downworlders, werewolves are the closest to humans, since they are mortal and can pass as humans pretty easily. They are also capable of having children; werewolf-werewolf children inevitably become werewolves, while human-werewolf children are humans with an increased physical strength.
- Traumatic Superpower Awakening: The first transformation is the most dangerous for werewolves. No matter how much self-control they had as humans, they will lash out and attack anyone they meet. Afterwards, transformation tends to be less painful since they have become used to it.
Luke Garroway (born Lucian Graymark)
Played by: Aidan Turner (The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones), Isaiah Mustafa (Shadowhunters)
A close friend of Jocelyn's and Honorary Uncle to Clary, Luke is more part of the Shadowhunters' world than he lets on. He used to be a Shadowhunter who was part of The Circle and Valentine's parabatai, until he got turned into a werewolf which caused him to turn against Valentine.
- Adaptation Dye-Job: He has blue eyes in the books and brown eyes in The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones.
- Asskicking Equals Authority: On more than one occasion when Luke has needed to acquire some allies in a hurry his solution has been to find the nearest werewolf pack, kill the Alpha and take over as leader.
- Hidden Badass: You would never think that this laid back bookstore owner is a badass. But as a former Shadowhunter-turned-werewolf, he can be quite hardcore when he needs to be.
- Hollywood Old: He is 36-years-old but is played by 29-year-old Aidan Turner in the film.
- Honorary Uncle: Clary considers him to be like an uncle since he's been around her whole life.
- Hooked Up Afterwards: With Jocelyn. They planned to get married in City of Fallen Angels but the marriage was postponed indefinitely, with Jace's possession by Lilith and subsequent disappearence.
- Interspecies Romance: With Shadowhunter, Jocelyn Fairchild.
- Meaningful Name: Luke Garroway sounds like loup-garou, French for werewolf.
- Mysterious Animal Senses: His lycanthropy enables him to hear and smell things better.
- Parental Substitute: Helped raise Clary along with Jocelyn. By City of Heavenly Fire, they're referred to as father and daughter more often than not by themselves and others. In a way, he was sort of a father figure to Simon, too, as the latter's father died when he was younger.
- Second Love: He's the second person Jocelyn falls in love with, after her disastrous marriage to Valentine.
- You Kill It, You Bought It: After he got turned into a werewolf, he decided to kill the one who bit him. He turned out to be the leader of the wolf pack, so when Luke killed him, he became the new pack leader.
A member of the downtown New York werewolf pack, Maia's had a rough life. Her brother abused her, and her ex-boyfriend hit her and eventually turned her into a werewolf. She seems to be getting along fine though.
- Action Girl: Maia is pretty terrifying in a fight, shown when she participates in the battle at Brocelind plain. She also managed to defeat Rufus in a fight.
- Asskicking Equals Authority: In City of Heavenly Fire, she takes down an usurper of the New York Clan in an absolutely vicious Curb-Stomp Battle which leads to her becoming temporary head and later permanent head of the New York Clan after Luke's retirement.
- But Not Too Foreign: She's half-white half-black.
- Cassandra Truth: Her parents never believed her when she told them her brother was abusive.
- Fur Against Fang: In City of Ashes, she dislikes Simon at first. Very much. Until they both end up being captured by Valentine.
- Interspecies Romance: Briefly dates Simon (a vampire) in City of Fallen Angels, before she learns that he is simultaneously dating Isabelle as well.
- Parting Words Regret: In City of Heavenly Fire, before Jordan dies, she has planned to break up with him.
- The One That Got Away: To Jordan. He never stopped loving Maia, even after years being separated from each other and Maia spending most of it thinking that he tried to kill her. He gets close with Simon in City of Fallen Angels solely so he can meet with Maia again.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: She has a fear of guys that look like her deceased brother, who abused her as a child. There's also her possessive ex-boyfriend Jordan, who was mentioned as the reason she was turned into a werewolf.
Bartholomew "Bat" Velasquez
The second-in-command in the New York werewolf pack. He is also a DJ at the Pandemonium Club.
- Battle Couple: With Maia, who eventually becomes his superior in the pack.
- Early-Bird Cameo: He made a cameo in the first book, City of Bones, when Simon said that DJ Bat was doing an exceptional job.
- Embarrassing First Name: We only get to know his first name in City of Heavenly Fire, when he challenges Rufus for a fight to the death. His reaction when Maia asks him why suggests this.
- Number Two: He is the second-in-command of the New York pack. First to Luke and later to Maia.
- Rank Up: He gets promoted from third-in-command to second-in-command.
- Second Love: To Maia, eventually. After her tragic relationship with Jordan and brief fling with Simon, she seems to have settled permanently with Bat.
The newest member of Simon's band, Kyle seems like an attractive, nice guy. He is actually a member of Praetor Lupus who was send to help Simon.
- The Atoner: He does seem to sincerely regret what he did to Maia, and only picked Simon as an assignment so he could get close to her.
- Chekhov M.I.A.: He was mentioned back in City of Ashes as Maia's ex-boyfriend who turned her into a werewolf and disappeared for nearly two years, but makes his first appearance in City of Fallen Angels.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: Simon says that he grows weird plants on his balcony. He then follows it up by claiming they aren't drugs. The plants turn out to be wolfsbane.
- Forgiven, but Not Forgotten: While Maia eventually forgives Jordan for turning her, it's obvious she will never forget his past grievance to her. Even though they get back together, Maia is conflicted and, in City of Heavenly Fire, plans to break up with him, at least until his death makes it a moot point.
- Killed Off for Real: In City of Heavenly Fire, he is killed by Sebastian.
- New Old Flame: He rekindles his relationship with Maia in City of Lost Souls.
- Nice Guy: Comes off as such, although of course there's more than meets the eye.
- Only One Name: Simon asks why his name is listed as just Kyle even on his apartment door. It turns out Kyle is his surname and his first name is Jordan, which he hid so that Maia wouldn't find out.
- Pretty Boy: His good looks are appreciated by Clary, who suggests taking him to Simon's band.
- Psycho Ex-Boyfriend: Subverted. Maia originally saw him as this. She thought he bit her and turned her into a werewolf, because she broke up with him. He actually did it, because it was the first time he changed into a werewolf and he wasn't in control of his actions.
- The Reveal: Kyle is actually Jordan Kyle, a werewolf send by Praetor Lupus to keep an eye on Simon. He is also Maia's ex boyfriend.
- Storyboard Body: Strange tattoos cover his arms. They're actually mantras from the Upanishads.
The leader of London's werewolf pack in the 1850's/1860's who strongly supports the peace talks between the Shadowhunters and Downworlders. Woolsey's older brother.
- Interspecies Romance: He fell in love with the vampire Camille. When Alexei de Quincy (the leader of Camille's clan) found out, he had Ralf murdered.
- Posthumous Character: Died before the events of Clockwork Angel. We only see him in the flesh in Vampires, Scones, and Edmund Herondale.
- Promotion to Parent: He raised his younger brother Woolsey after their parents got killed by Shadowhunters in a misunderstanding.