The characters of the television series The Secret Life of the American Teenager:
- Girls Love Stuffed Animals
- Girl Next Door
- Glamorous Single Mother: While this show does a better job showing both sides, it still glamorizes part of Amy's experience by providing her a new car, a job, and countless other opportunities. It's a very white, upperclass perspective of teen pregnancy, when you consider less than half of teen moms graduate high school and only 2% graduate college by age 30.
- Mama Bear: When she catches Adrian holding John.
- Naive Every Girl
- Teen Pregnancy: She becomes pregnant at 15, setting off the series conflict.
Richard "Ricky" Underwood
- Abusive Parents: His abusive dad serves as his Freudian excuse.
- Anything That Moves
- The Charmer
- Chick Magnet
- Friends with Benefits: With Adrian.
- Happily Adopted: By his foster parents.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- Parental Abandonment: By his birth parents.
- Really Gets Around
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man: He's the manly man to Ben's sensitive guy.
- Troubled, but Cute: According to most girls at school, apparently.
Benjamin "Ben" Boykevich
- Breakthe Cutie: Adrian ends up delivering a stillborn fetus, which promptly wrecks Ben.
- Nice Guy: Ben is constantly stated to be a nice guy by the other characters, although whether this is true or not depends on the episode.
- The Dulcinea Effect: Ben has a tendency to protect girls, even if he just met them. Such as when he took the fall for Dylan when she got caught with pot.
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man: He's the sensitive guy to Ricky's manly man.
- Stalker with a Crush: Shown when Amy refuses to speak to him after he revealed that Adrian was pregnant with his baby. He wouldn't stop calling or messaging her until eventually she answered him and did not hide her annoyance at him for doing so.
- Attention Whore: To the point of spreading rumors of her and Grace kissing to get the attention off of rumors of Amy being gay.
- Breakthe Haughty: Delivers a stillborn baby
- Cool Big Sis: Plays this role to Ashley at times.
- Flirty Stepsiblings: Adrian dates her stepbrother for a while.
- Friendless Background: She admits she's never really had friends before.
- Friends with Benefits: With Ricky.
- Good Bad Girl
- Hidden Heart of Gold: She is smart, funny and can genuinely care for others. Though as pointed out in "When Opportunity Knocks", she puts up a tough exterior because she fears being hurt by others.
- Informed Flaw: She is supposedly the school's resident "bad girl" but is a straight A student, a majorette, and is closer to the school's resident slut.
- Light Feminine and Dark Feminine: Dark
- Odd Friendship: Best friends with Grace.
- Really Gets Around
- Spicy Latina
- Teen Pregnancy
Grace Kathleen Bowman
- Blonde Republican Sex Kitten: More pronounced in later seasons.
- Hypocrite: Probably more so than the other characters. She tends to be pretty judgmental toward the other characters despite being no better herself.
- Informed Attractiveness: Grace is supposedly the prettiest girl in school.
- Light Feminine and Dark Feminine: Light
- Odd Friendship: With Adrian.
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man
- Their First Time: She loses her virginity the night her father dies. She spends several episodes screaming "He died a horrible death because I had great sex!"
- Token Religious Teammate
- Ice Queen
- Little Miss Snarker
- Only Sane Woman: Usually.
- Put on a Bus: As of the final season.
- The Snark Knight
- Wise Beyond Their Years
- Amicable Exes: She tries to be this after separating from her husband George.
- Fiery Red Head: She has red hair and hair-trigger temper when angered.
- Lipstick Lesbian: As of the series finale, Anne comes out as a lesbian and is more feminine looking than the woman she connects with.
- Mama Bear: She and her ex-husband both despise "deadbeat drummer" Ricky Underwood for impregnating their daughter Amy and want to hurt him for what he did.
- Amicable Exes: He tries to be this with his wife Anne, even after suggesting they get back together.
- Blatant Lies: Early in the series, he denies cheating on his wife Anne when confronted by her, but he moves out and is revealed to have been having an affair with Adrian's mother.
- Papa Wolf: Both him and his ex-wife Anne want to pummel Ricky Underwood for impregnating their daughter Amy.
- Your Cheating Heart: Early in the series, he cheats on Amy and Ashley's mother with Adrian's mother.
Henry 'Hank' Miller
- The Alcoholic: She's a recovering alcoholic, although she did slip up while having dinner with Ben.
- Good Parents: To Ricky and Ethan. This might be because of the lack of screen-time she and Sanjay get.
- Good Parents: To Ricky and Ethan. This might be because of the lack of screen-time he and Margaret can get.
Cindy Lee Enriquez
- What the Hell, Hero?: He threatens to leave the family if Adrian gets an abortion.
John Juergens Underwood
- Ambiguous Disorder: While nothing is made clear, it should be noted that by the end of the show, John is 3 years old but is still not able to speak in complete sentences (and has a total of about 20 words in his vocabulary) and is still small enough to sit in a high chair.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: Despite the show being about pregnant teenagers, John tends to disappear randomly and only cameos enough that you remember he exists. He hardly has any influence on the plot of the show, other than being the only child of Ricky and Amy.
Robert "Robbie" Scott Juergens
Dr. Ken Fields
Robert "Bob" Underwood
- Abusive Parents: It revealed in the series that he regularly beat up his wife and son Ricky.