For all the characters that debutted in The Return of the Condor Heroes.
Yang GuoThe son of Yang Kang and Mu Nianci and the protagonist of The Return of the Condor Heroes. His father is the antagonist in the first novel The Legend of the Condor Heroes, and was notorious for having committed several acts of depravity. His name "Guo" is given to him by Guo Jing, means "wrong" or "fault". Guo Jing hopes that Yang Guo would redeem his family's honour, which had been tarnished by Yang Kang's past actions, and promised Mu Nianci that he will teach Yang Guo martial arts when the boy becomes older.
Tropes associated with Yang Guo
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: He's not bad, but certainly un-polished, reckless and stubborn.
- All of the Other Reindeer: Hated and shunned by virtually everyone he met in his childhood. The only people who truly care about him are Guo Jing and Xiaolongnu.
- All Your Powers Combined: At the end of the novel, he had learnt Ancient Tomb Sect techniques, Quanzhen Sect techniques, Ouyang Feng's Toad Skill, Hong Quigong's Dog Beating Staff, Huang Yaoshi's Finger Flicking Skill and Jade Flute Sword Technique, the Nine Yin Manual and Dugu Qiubai's sword techniques. Whew. He even invents his own technique the Sadness Palm which combines the best features of every skills he knows.
- Battle Couple: with Xiaolongnu.
- Been There, Shaped History: Killed Mongke Khan and ended the battle of Xiangyang in favour of the Song army.
- Chaste Hero: He can't quite get what Xiaolongnu was trying to say he did to her. No wonder why she dumps his ass. Luckily it doesn't last.
- Chick Magnet: It becomes so bad that he starts wearing a mask so women won't fall head-over-heel with him.
- Dark and Troubled Past: What makes Guo Xiang so attracted to him.
- Deus Angst Machina: The guy just can't get a break. Everytime he manages to get close to Xiaolongnu, something happens to keep them apart. They eventually get together at the end, after one hell of a journey.
- Driven to Suicide: Jumps off a cliff after believing Xiaolongnu is dead. He got better.
- Handicapped Badass: Losing an arm does nothing to slow him down.
- Jack-of-All-Trades: At first. Huang Yaoshi notices that since he learn a large number of techniques in a short period of time, he couldn't develope an effective fighting style based on his strength. Later he manages to unify his different techniques and even create a new technique based purely on inner energy.
- Idiot Ball: Really, Yang Guo. If you could just keep your mouth shut around Guo Fu, you would have kept that right arm of yours.
- Instant Expert: He is able to learn the Toad Skill, an advanced technique at the age of 12. Later he mastered a wide array of techniques, each one could take a normal person years to master.
- Master Swordsman: After his training with the Condor.
- Meaningful Name: As explained above.
- Pride: What causes the majority of troubles in his life. He mellows out considerably after the Time Skip.
- Single-Target Sexuality: Xiaolongnu is his first and only love.
- Sins of Our Fathers: Yang Kang's past misdeeds is the reason why he was hated.
- Teacher/Student Romance: With Xiaolongnu.
- Training Montage: His training with the Condor.
- Took a Level in Badass: Several. He's among the strongest fighters at the end of the novel.
XiaolongnüXiaolongnu (literally "Little Dragon Maiden") is the female protagonist of The Return of the Condor Heroes and Yang Guo's love interest. Jin Yong describes her physical appearances as "skin as white as snow, beautiful and elegant beyond convention and cannot be underestimated, but appears cold and indifferent". She saves Yang Guo from Quanzhen Sect and teach him the martial art of Ancient Tom Sect and later falls in love with him.
- Battle Couple: With Yang Guo.
- Break His Heart to Save Him: Xialongnu was poisoned with a lethal dose of Passion flower poison and will die soon. She knows Yang Guo will kill himself to join her, so she leaves a message on the side of a cliff, saying that she will return in 16 years before jumping off, hoping that after waiting such a long time, Yang Guo will forget her and move on. He doesn't.
- Cain and Abel: with Li Mouchou.
- Dual Wielding: She can use both Quanzhen sword technique and Ancient Tomb sect sword technique simultaneously with two swords, thanks to Zhou Botong's Techniquie of Ambidexterity.
- Emotionless Girl: Make sense, since her martial art explicitly promotes control of emotion.
- Face Death with Dignity: She is surprisingly calm and composed when facing certain death.
- Older Than They Look: At the end of the novel, she's in her early 40's and still looks exactly like she was 20 years ago.
- Single-Target Sexuality: Yang Guo is her first and only love.
- Skilled, but Naïve: Martial art is the only thing she's good at. Justified, since she was raised in an ancient tomb with no outside contact.
- Rape as Drama: She was raped by Zhen Zhibing while incapacipated by Ouyang Feng.
The CondorThe Condor is a giant eagle-like creature living alone in a valley and a former companion of the invincible swordsman Dugu Qiubai. After roaming the land for years and failing to find someone who can rival him in swordsmanship, Dugu Qiubai came to a cave near a forest and spent the rest of his life there as a hermit. Several years after his death, the Condor encounters Yang Guo by coincidence while Yang was fighting with a giant serpent. Yang learns Dugu Qiubai's swordplay techniques from the Condor. As he has lost his right arm, Yang trains relentlessly and overcomes his disability to use Dugu Qiubai's Heavy Iron Sword with only one arm. After accomplishing a high level of proficiency in swordplay, Yang ventures out with the Condor to search for Xiaolongnü and reunite with her.
Tropes associated with The Condor:
- The Mentor: to Yang Guo.
Guo FuGuo Jing and Huang Rong's first born child. Spoiled rotten by her mother, she inherits Huang Rong's insolence, cruelty and bitchiness but none of the redeeming quality. Married to Yelü Qi, the leader of Beggars' Sect
- Alpha Bitch: She basically has the Wu brothers wrapped around her finger
- Faux Action Girl: Despite being trained by the best martial artists in the world, she still ends up being roughed up more often than not.
- Hate at First Sight: Dislikes Yang Guo since the day they met. She actually likes him, but it turns to hate since he ignores her.
- Heel Realization: Realizes how much of a bitch she has been to Yang Guo and finally apologizes to him at the end of the novel.
Guo XiangGuo Jing and Huang Rong's second child and generally her sister's polar opposite. she is nicknamed "Little Eastern Heretic" after her grandfather Huang Yaoshi since much like hinm she is a free spirit that loves adventure and has little regard for conventional formalities. Bright, kind and generous by nature, she is loved and respected by the jianghu. She was kidnapped by Yang Guo when she was a baby and later developes a crush on him.
- All Love Is Unrequited: Towards Yang Guo.
- Birthday Episode: Courtesy of Yang Guo.
- Distressed Damsel: Got kidnapped by the Golden Wheel Monk.
- Young Future Famous People: She becomes the founder of Emei Sect.
Guo PoluGuo Jing and Huang Rong's third child and their only son.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: Appears in one scence and never mentioned again.
Wu BrothersWu Dunru and Wu Xiuwen are Wu Santong's sons. Li Mochou caused their mother's death and their father went berserk and disappeared after that. The brothers were raised by Guo Jing and Huang Rong, who taught them martial arts. Both of them have a crush on Guo Fu and almost fought each other to the death to win her love, but the dispute is resolved by Yang Guo. They marry Yelü Yan and Wanyan Ping respectively, and are said to be expecting children with their wives near the end of the novel.
Yelü YanYelü Yan is Yelü Qi's younger sister. She marries Wu Dunru.
Wanyan PingWanyan Ping is a descendant of the imperial clan of the former Jin Empire. Her parents died when the Jin Empire was conquered by the Mongols and she swears vengeance on Yelü Chucai, whom she blames for her losses. She fails to assassinate him and loses to his children in a fight. She eventually reconciles with the Yelüs and marries Wu Xiuwen.
Zhao ZhijingThe most senior of all Quanzhen students after the "Seven Immortals". He was Yang Guo's teacher when Yang was in Quanzhen. He dislikes the boy, does not teach him any practical martial arts, and allows his other students to bully him. Later in the novel, he collaborates with the Mongols to seize the leadership position of his sect, but his plans are foiled and he is killed by Xiaolongnü's jade bees.
- Asshole Victim: Nobody cares when he is killed by Xiaolongnü's jade bees
- Jerkass: There's no redeeming quality about the guy.
Zhen ZhibingA senior student of Quanzhen. He has a crush on Xiaolongnü and is unable to restrain himself and blindfolds and rapes Xiaolongnü when the latter was immobilised by Ouyang Feng. Xiaolongnü is unaware that Zhen was the one who raped her and she wrongly accused Yang Guo until the truth is revealed several years later. He sacrifices himself to save Xiaolongnü from death
- Stalker with a Crush: To Xiaolongnu.
- Redemption Equals Death: Admits his crime to Xiaolongnu then commits suicide.
Lin ChaoyingThe sect's founder. She was both a rival and lover of Wang Chongyang, and equalled him in martial arts prowess.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: with Wang Chongyang.
- Woman Scorned: Since she can't marry Wang Chongyang, she tricked him into giving up the Ancient Tomb and founded the Ancient Tomb Sect to be The Rival to Wang Chongyang's Quanzhen Sect.
Jinlun GuoshiAka The Golden Wheel Monk, the main antagonist of The Return of the Condor Heroes. Originally a Tibetan lama, he becomes the Imperial Advisor of the Mongol Empire and represents the Mongols in challenging the Han Chinese wulin (martial artists' community. The "Golden Wheel" in his name is a reference to his golden-coloured chakram-like weapon
- Dangerous Forbidden Technique: his signature skill "Dragon and Elephant Prajna Skill". If practiced without careful consideration, it could lead to madness or even death.
- Pride: The reason why he loses to Yang Guo and Xiaolongnu. He just couldn't accept that a two amateurs with little experience could defeat him.
- Protagonist-Centered Morality: He is the villain only because he serves the Mongols and opposes Yang Guo's side. His action is no more heinous than characters on Chinese side. In fact, Jin Yong later revised the novel and made him more sympathetic, even allow him to take Guo Xiang as his disciple and pass on his skills.
- Revenge: Really wants to get event with Yang Guo.