This contains a list of the main characters of the fanfiction The Moon's Flash Princess.
SAO Survivors10,000 people bought the game Sword Art Online. When they are suddenly pulled into a Death Game because of the Dark Kingdom, they must work together in order to survive.
- Action Survivor: They all got unwillingly involved in a game that could have killed them, fighting all sorts of monsters and enemies, and sometimes even other players. They came out of the experience scarred, but more than capable of fighting off their enemies.
- Badass Army: The original intent of Sword Art Online was to forge the players into this. While circumstances made it more dangerous than expected, they are all more than capable of fighting. During Part 2, they start calling themselves the Silver Army.
- Empowered Badass Normal: When they return to real life, they notice they still can use their game skills in reality.
- Your Mind Makes It Real: Dying in the game will kill them in real life, so their only way to escape is to fight for their freedom and reach Floor 100. Subverted when the virus that caused this had a loophole - all the players that died believing their real death would happen survive instead, although they still need rehabilitation to deal with what happened in Aincrad and their health problems.
Favorite weapon: One-Handed Sword
Also known as: The Beater, The Black Swordsman, Dark Sun, The Commander
The story's male protagonist, Kirito is an expert videogame player and programmer who finds himself stuck in the game Sword Art Online after a virus modifies it so no one can log out without dying in real life. While initially attempting to be a loner, his life does a half-turn when he rescues fellow player Asuna, starting a chain of events that puts them both on the path to become the leaders the SAO players need - as well as discovering things about his past he did not know.
- A Boy and His X: He has a Sabercat called Ékate, although for most of his life Ékate was in the care of his brother Akihiko.
- Action Dad: After adopting Yui and Strea with Asuna.
- Adaptational Backstory Change: His parents were among the first killed by the Youma, and he survived only because he managed to cast a spell his brother Akihiko had taught him.
- Affectionate Nickname: Asuna calls him Dark Sun.
- Always Someone Better: Heathcliff, is this to him, being the only other person besides their grandfather who is consistently able to beat him in a spar. While it annoys him to be constanly losing those spars, he is fine with knowing that there is someone better than he is, as it drives him to improve.
- Berserk Button: He has several. Pushing them is not a good idea.
- Bishōnen: He is noted to be this.
- Combat Pragmatist: He has no trouble in attacking opponents from behind. It's how he kills Kunzite and Jadeite.
- Commanding Coolness: He's the [Commander] for a good reason.
- Crush Blush: Especially in Part 1, he blushes whenever Asuna looks particularly adorable or when she does something romantic.
- Dual Wielding: He possesses the Unique Skill Dual Blades.
- Empowered Badass Normal: He is surprised to find out he can use Sword Skills in real life, but he does not complain.
- Happily Adopted: His uncle and aunt adopted him after his parents died. Learning the truth was a shock, but after finishing Sword Art Online he has made his peace with it.
- Happily Married: To Asuna during the game. When they finally get out of the game, magic still considers them married, even if they have to wait until they are old enough to do so under the law.
- The Hero: He's the story's main character. He leads the players in boss raids, pretty much takes over the Frontline command and becomes the one that triggers the log out condition - not that this stops him from continuing to be the hero.
- Hope Bringer: When Asuna was at the edge of the Despair Event Horizon, he appeared, saved her and convinced her that finishing the game was possible.
- Hot Consort: He's Asuna's Love Interest and husband, and many girls point out how handsome he is.
- I Have Many Names: He's got quite the collection, as can be seen above.
- In My Language, That Sounds Like...: His name, Kazuto, happens to sound extremely close to the Italian word "cazzuto", literally translating as "has a big dick" and doubling as "badass"-much to the hilarity of the one Italian character.
- Love at First Sight: He felt attraction towards Asuna from the moment he rescued her from the Labyrinth.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Does not take it well when he kills other players during the Laughing Coffin raid. They survived, but he didn't know that until after SAO was cleared.
- Has this again when he ends SAO, as it required him to duel and believe he killed his own brother in order to end it.
- Not Good with People: Heavily dislikes having to talk to groups. Unfortunately, events conspire against him.
- Related in the Adaptation: Akihiko Kayaba is his elder brother.
- Reluctant Ruler: Taking command of the Frontline (and later the SAO Survivors) was not something he planned or wished to do, but did as Heathcliff personally mentored him for that job even before the two learned that they were brothers.
- Rescue Romance: He rescued Asuna when she fainted in the First Floor Labyrinth. The two of them begin to feel attracted to each other very soon.
- The Scapegoat: Took on this role early in the Death Game to save the other beta testers from being discrimated against. Fortunately, proving himself a hero erased this mark.
- Sleep Cute: He loves sleeping with Asuna, and if placed close enough in a bed will instinctively seek to bring her closer.
- Troll: His avatar in GGO looks very feminine requests Asuna to pick female clothing and armor for him to wear when he goes to do the B.O.B., and acts very feminine so he can mess with the heads of the mostly male competition during it.
- Weak, but Skilled: In the real world due to him not being in nearly as fit as he was in SAO, but having the skills from it, making up the difference with technique and adjusting his fighting style depending on his opponent.
- Wholesome Crossdresser: Can pull it off thanks to his bishonen appearance.
Favorite weapon: Rapier
Also known as: The Lightning Flash, White Moon, The Princess, Cerridwen
The story's female protagonist, Asuna had never played a computer game before she tried to play with her brother's Sword Art Online, only to become one of the 10,000 players that got stuck in the game. Her initial actions led her to commit to an almost suicidal path, but then she was rescued by Kirito, and the two become inseparable in their quest to finish the game - as she discovers she is far more important to the destiny of the world than she had thought.
- Action Girl: She is a really good fighter.
- Action Mom: After adopting Yui and Strea with Kirito.
- Affectionate Nickname: Kirito calls her "Asuna-hime" and "White Moon".
- Amnesiac Resonance: Before she finds out she is the reincarnation of Princess Serenity, she finds herself familiar with certain people, objects or places she is sure she has never seen before.
- Crazy Enough to Work: Before her past life memories hit, she tended to come up with crazy plans in order to deal with mobs in SAO due to Amnesiac Resonance with her past life's memories. Dangerous plans, but they worked.
- And they were plans which Princess Serenity had implemented when she was alive and that many a Royal Guard Cadet has tried to emulate and end up under the not so tender mercies of Aincrad's chief healer.
- Crush Blush: During Part 1, the sight of Kirito being cute makes her blush.
- Death of Personality: Averted, but still it was a heavy struggle, as SAO frequently had her facing memories which threatened to drown her in them early on.
- Driven to Suicide: Before meeting Kirito, she had taken a self-destructive path that would have ended up with her being killed.
- Feminine Women Can Cook: She is very feminine indeed. One of her hobbies is cooking, and soon she proves herself a Supreme Chef.
- During their first Christmas in Aincrad, she makes a scarf for Kirito with their combined symbol (the Crescent Moon over the Dark Sun) knitted at the end, which he ends up wearing everywhere, and later gifts him a pair of gloves.
- Happily Married: To Kirito during the game. When they finally get out of the game, magic still considers them married, even if they have to wait until they are old enough to do so under the law.
- Hope Bringer: To Minako and most of the Senshi: now they can actually turn the tide.
- I Hate Past Me: Averted. It's less she hates her past self and more she hates how the memories of her past life almost overwhelmed her and tend to rear themselves at the most inopportune times.
- It's Okay If It's You: The only person she allows to call her "Princess" or anything similar is Kirito.
- OOC Is Serious Business: Has a seriously out of character moment when her parents are attacked by Youma, to the point where she os so enraged that her past life memories almost consumed her and Princess Serenity briefly took the helm so she would not go and do something she would regret.
- This moment also heavily implies that Heathcliff was Princess Serenity's biological father, rather than simply a father figure, considering that she called him 'father' when she demanded he fight her.
- Past-Life Memories: She has Princess Serenity's memories, although fortunately she remembers in pieces - not that they do not cause her grief, anyway.
- During their time in the Tenth Floor, which is based on the Moon as it was during the Silver Empire, Asuna has to fight off the memories before they overwhelm her too much.
- Reincarnation Romance: Averted. Kirito is her one-and-done - the idea that she would want to be with Mamoru (the reincarnation of Serenity's lover, Endymion, who is Beryl's reincarnation's fiancé) is inconceivable for her. She still feels some fondness for him, and calls him Endy-nii.
- Reluctant Ruler: She is quite reluctant to become the Princess, but eventually accepts the role because the Senshi really need her. She still has no intention of resurrecting the Silver Millennium.
- Rescue Romance: She was rescued by Kirito from the First Floor Labyrinth. The two of them begin to feel attracted to each other very soon.
- Resigned to the Call: Is less than happy that she's inherited a war that wasn't hers to begin with due to being a reincarnation, but will fight it because it's the right thing to do.
- Sleep Cute: Likes to sleep with Kirito, using him as her pillow.
- Troll: While she normally reserves it for punishing Kirito when he irritates her, she has also forced him into a dress and all the accessories simply for giggles quite a few times.
Favorite weapon: One-Handed Sword, Shield
Also known as: Captain
The creator of the game Sword Art Online, Akihiko is a programming genius who created both Sword Art Online and its partner game Alfheim Online with one purpose: aid the Senshi in the fight against the Dark Kingdom. Unfortunately, when SAO comes online, a virus turns it into a death game only he can log out of, so now his struggle is to help the players survive - as well as find out Princess Serenity's reincarnation and his missing brother...
- Adaptational Heroism: His creations, Sword Art Online and Alfheim Online, were planned to help empower normal people so they could help the Senshi.
- Always Someone Better: He is this to both Kirito and Sugou. The former uses this to drive himself into improving. The latter steals his achievements and uses them to his own benefit.
- The Bet: Joins the bet on when Kirito and Asuna will get married in SAO.
- Big Good: He's the man that created SAO and ALO to find people willing to help in the fight against the Dark Kingdom, and when the former becomes a Death Game he joins in as a fellow player to help the players survive.
- Boring, but Practical: His approach to killing Youma is to do so in the most efficient manner that uses the least energy necessary to do so.
- Decomposite Character: He is the half of canon!Kayaba that creates the game, while Zoicite is the one that turns it into a Death Game.
- Happily Married: Marries his girlfriend Rinko during Part 2.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Sets it up so that the only one who would die when SAO ended, would be him, if his gamble didn't work out. It did work, but he wasn't sure it would.
- Luke, I Am Your Father: Heavily implied that he was Princess Serenity's actual father in his past life.
- Married to the Job: After the death of his parents, he threw his all into his job.
- Nepotism: Averted. After discovering they are brothers, Kirito fears that this is why Heathcliff has been grooming him for the position of Commander, but the latter states that he chose him well before the revelation.
- Criticized as this by Silver Millenniu survivors who figure out the relationship between him and Kirito is until he explains things. Even then, it is clear that they don't entirely believe him, but are willing to let it lie for now with the implication that Kirito will have to prove to them that he's justifiably earned his position.
- Past-Life Memories: When his parents and brother were attacked by Youma, these were beginning to hit him hard, which is another reason why he didn't realize that his aunt was talking about his brother being adopted by her when she said she adopted a child.
- Poor Communication Kills: He would have found that his brother Kazuto had survived the attack that killed their parents if he had bothered to pay attention to what his aunt Midori Kirigaya had told him years ago (or even visited).
- Related in the Adaptation: He finds out during Part 1 that Kirito is his brother Kazuto.
- Shotgun Wedding: After Rinko reveals she is pregnant, they get married soon. Not that he complains.
- Team Dad: He's the most veteran of the adults playing Sword Art Online, so he takes this role by necessity.
Favorite weapon: Claws
Also known as: The Rat, The Spymaster
A former beta tester, she gained her nickname from the whisker-like marks she carries on her face and for her ability to find any piece of information thanks to her extensive network of informants. However, as it becomes obvious that there are many more secrets to Aincrad than what was believed, she turns part of her efforts to find out the truth.
- The Gadfly: She loves to tease Kirito whenever they meet.
- Knowledge Broker: She will sell you almost any piece of information she can find in Aincrad.
- The Nicknamer: She gives nicknames to everyone she meets, usually shortened versions of their names with a corresponding honorific.
- The Spymaster: Finding information about anything is part of her shtick.
Favorite weapon: Katana
Beginning the story as a SAO player who got the game on Launch Day, he starts a novice that requests help from Kirito to learn how to play. Soon, however, he becomes a reliable ally and friend of Kirito who leads the Fuurinkazan guild through the entire game.
- Big Brother Instinct: Feels this for Kirito, and helps him as best as possible.
- Casanova Wannabe: Based on his friends' comments, he usually tries to flirt with other women and gets easily shot down.
- Crash-Into Hello: How he meets Rei when he was visiting the hospital for his physical therapy and to touch base with both Beryl and Bunbo.
- Famed in Story: Is the leader of the only front line guild to have not lost a single person within SAO, giving them the epithet The Immortal Guild among the SAO players.
- I Hate Past Me: Or to be more accurate, the still walking corpse of his past life, Kunzite. Tries his best to kill him, but it is Kirito who eventually does.
- The Leader: Of Fuurinkazan.
- Reincarnation: Of Kunzite.
- Ship Tease: With Rei, of all people.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Seems to have this dynamic with Mamoru, who he was a friend of in college.
Favorite Weapon: Staff
The reincarnation of the person that called herself Beryl before she was possessed and tried to conquer the Silver Empire, she seeks the reincarnation of Princess Serenity so she can become the leader the Senshi need. She is engaged to marry Mamoru.
- I Hate Past Me: She hates the creature her past self was turned into, not that she has a high opinion of her past self, either.
- Irony: She is engaged to marry Mamoru, the reincarnation of Endymion, whom her past self was obsessed with.
- Making a Splash: Her primary magical affinity is water, which she is somewhat pleased about, as it is one more thing separating her from Queen Beryl.
A young female player who joins Argo's network to help her understand the true meaning behind Aincrad's backstory and a member of the ALF. She eventually discovers that she is the reincarnation of Sailor Saturn. Currently staying with Yuuna.
- The Beastmaster: One of the few players that has managed to tame a mob in Sword Art Online.
- Cool Horse: She tames and rides a horse that looks like a Thestral, which she calls Hades.
- Demonic Possession: Was Possessed by Mistress 9, was. She killed it once it had been forced out of her.
- Driven to Suicide: Thankfully averted, but it was a near thing. She almost kills herself when she finds out/remembers that she, as Sailor Saturn, caused the final destruction of the Silver Empire. She is talked down from it and is put on suicide watch for a period of time.
- Gut Feeling: Quickly realizes that something's not right at Mugen and she has holes in her memory, having her suspect possession and take steps to see if that's the case.
- Healing Hands: She has the power of healing.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: Her suspicion of possession and her gut feeling that something isn't right at Mugen and that it is tied to her father has her decide to leave and get things checked out. When it is confirmed, she stays away from there.
Favorite weapon: Dagger
Also known as: Dragon Tamer, Little Sister
A young twelve year old girl who got into Sword Art Online even though the game was meant for older people, she starts the game surprised, but eventually gains the company of a feathered dragon she calls Pina. After being trained in the art of fighting by Kirito and the Divine Dragon Alliance, she begins to prove herself a force to be reckoned with.
- Affectionate Nickname: Is known among the Divine Dragon Alliance Guild as the Little Sister, due to being the youngest member of the guild.
- A Girl and Her Dragon: Gained a reputation within SAO for having tamed Pina, a Feathered Dragon. Pina also happened to be very real and was caught in SAO as well, and managed to get to Earth from the real Aincrad.
- Badass in Distress: She can kick ass like no one's business and is one of the three hundred kidnapped SAO players at the beginning of Part 2.
- The Beastmaster: One of the very few players that has managed to tame a mob in Sword Art Online.
- Combat Pragmatist: She learned the art of fighting fast and dirty from the Divine Dragon Alliance-and is now taking lessons from Minako, who knows all the weaknesses of the human body and how to target them.
- Composite Character: She takes Asuna's place as the most powerful player out of the three hundred that Sugou kidnaps when SAO ends.
- Damsel out of Distress: Manages to escape her initial confinement when her consciousness is trapped in ALO as part of Sugou's experiments, and manages to distract Sugou and the others long enough that she can later summon help from her friends.
- Little Miss Badass: She is cute as a button, but don't let that make you think she is weak - she was taught how to be a Combat Pragmatist and knows how to do it, as Sailor Uranus found out... painfully.
- Miko: Is, on the surface, training to be one under Rei as a cover to explain her actual reason for being there, acting as a translator for Rameses and Kebechet, and also to hide Pina. While it is a cover, Rei is taking the opportunity to train her in magic and is teaching her several related skills, such as Onmyodo, to supplement her abilities.
- Playing with Fire: Her magical affinity happens to be fire.
- Ship Tease: With Rameses.
- Animal Companion: To Silica.
- Famous Ancestor: She is descended from Princess Serenity, who was fond of turning into a feathered dragon to begin with and who had given birth to a brood of them at some point. This is a noted kink within the Royal Family, much to Asuna's distress.
- Healing Winds: Can use her breath to heal people with minor to moderate injuries.
- Shoulder-Sized Dragon: She's the size of a large housecat and is often seen perched on Silica's shoulders, preening her hair.
- Shipper on Deck: Clearly ships Rameses and Silica, much to Silica's embarrassment.
- Talking Animal: Well, only to Silica, who is a budding Tamer and has trained her familiar communication skill.
- Walking Spoiler: The fact that she is actually real is one of the first major indications that Aincrad is still around, functioning, and inhabited.
Favorite weapon: Mace
A blacksmith in SAO who ends up setting up shop at the Osa-P Jewelry Store.
- Actually Pretty Funny: Asks one of his friends in the DDA to record one of the Floor Boss meetings, because he wants to see Kirito reading the riot act to him and Kibaou from the outside.
- Defeat Means Friendship: Kirito forcibly taking over the Clearers when Lind and Kibaou keep arguing when they should not leads to Lind eventually becoming one of Kirito's friends.
- Kaiju Defense Force: He was part of the Japanese Ground Self-Defense Forces during the occupation of Iraq until a bomb almost killed him, which required heavy surgery to prevent the loss of a leg.
- Nerdgasm: Has one when he finds the Millenium Falcon (which, in series, is also one of the Silver Millenium's old spaceships) in the Moon.
Favorite weapon: Axe
Reincarnation of: Nephrite
One of the retail players who gets stuck in Sword Art Online, he becomes a merchant, drawing on his real life experience as a businessman to guide his business. His smarts and gentleness make him a well-liked player and one of Kirito's best friends in the game.
- Adam Smith Hates Your Guts: Buys cheap, sells expensive - so he can use the proceeds to aid less fortunate players and the orphanage.
- Amazon Chaser: When he sees the video of Kathy using her axe to kill a Youma, he thinks she is looking hot.
- An Axe to Grind: His preferred weapon is an axe and has Nephrite's axe mounted in his bar.
- Bald of Awesome: Virtually hairless, yet one very powerful fighter.
- Berserk Button: Do not threaten his wife.
- Dishing Out Dirt: Has an Earth Affinity.
- Gentle Giant: He's the tallest player in the game, and also a calm, intelligent man more than capable of reasoning with anyone.
- Good-Guy Bar: The Dicey Cafe, which he turns into the SAO Survivors' (later the Silver Army) headquarters after the game ends.
- Happily Married: To Kathy Mills.
- Reincarnation: Of Nephrite.
Favorite Weapon: Dagger
Also Known As: The Jewelry Rabbit, Curse Spotter
A friend of the Senshi and SAO survivor. She largely stays off the front lines, content to craft accessories, only heading out to gether materials and keep her more combat related skills current. Bears an uncanny resemblance to Princess Serenity. Is friends with Yuuna and Silica.
- Badass Normal: She managed to kill a Youma before SAO turned her into an Empowered Badass Normal.
- The Blacksmith: Due to SAO not having a skill set dedicating to crafting jewelry, she took up this profession and specializes in making accessories.
- Big Eater: So far, she is the only one who has demonstrably eaten one of Makoto's Moon Pies on her own. Her appetite and the fact that she still has a girlish figure is also one of the reasons she was initially confused for being Princess Serenity's reincarnation.
- Brilliant, but Lazy: Is not scholastically inclined to begin with, but if something does catch her interest, or she applies herself, she shows that the mediocre grades she got in school belie her intelligence. She became good enough at crafting jewelry and accessories that she could have gone into business for herself in SAO, became proficient in Lunarian, and is the best of the SAO Survivors when it comes to detecting and purifying curses. She is also the first SAO Survivor to not only access Mystic Tome's storage function in the real world, but passed on how to do so to the others once she figured out how she managed to do it.
- She is self-aware of the lazy part, but doesn't think she's all that intelligent.
- Cool Big Sis: Had this dynamic with Silica when the two were questing together in SAO.
- Decomposite Character: She's not Sailor Moon or Princess Serenity's reincarnation. Despite that, she killed a Youma before SAO happened, which made the Osa-P Jewelry Store no longer be a favorite target of the Dark Kingdom.
- Detect Evil: She can detect if anything is cursed and can recognize Nephrite's handiwork on sight. She can also purify the curses due to her magical affinity being Light.
- Good Bad Girl: At some point in the past, she seduced most if not all of the Senshi.
- Light 'em Up: Her magical affinity is Light Magic.
- Knife Nut: Her weapon in SAO is a dagger.
- One Steve Limit: Averted: Luna the Moon Cat is still around.
- Secret Keeper: Has known the Senshi's identities for years.
Favorite Weapon: One-Handed Sword
Also Known As: Kuro
A young player who was rescued by Kirito while she was stuck in a trap. As a consequence, ends up idolizing him.
- Arranged Marriage: Her parents are trying to get her into one.
- Ascended Extra: Was only featured in the Girls Ops spinoff in canon. Here, she's part of the main cast.
- Body Double: Learns illusion magic so she can be this for Kirito, much like how Minako is for Asuna. Is only able to make herself look like his female twin right now.
- Boobs of Steel: Is notably busty.
- Important Haircut: Dyes her hair black and cuts it shorter to better resemble Kirito, so that she has one less major change to work on when it comes to illusions.
- Hero-Worshipper: Adores Kirito, who saved her from death. This prompts her eventual wish to become his Body Double.
- Master of Illusion: Her affinity is Shadow Magic, making learning illusion magic easier for her.
- Parental Marriage Veto: Her parents have caught on her attraction for Minako, and are completely opposed.
- Parents as People: Their daughter was traumatized by the time in SAO, and seeing her close to a rather attractive and unconventional woman with no job triggered their protective instincts. Word of God is that they're completely unaware that Minako doesn't really need money.
- Two Aliases, One Character: Lux is her usual alias, but she also has the alias name of Kuro for when she goes out with her illusions up.
Also known as: Song Enchanter, Loremaster
A girl who becomes famous in SAO for being one of the few with the Chant skill. One of her dreams is to offer a concert.
- Exact Eavesdropping: During Part 2, while visiting her father in his university office, she happens to hear Sugou Nobuyuki speak of having "several hundred volunteers" for his experiments - all but confirming that he is behind what caused the Three Hundred Sleepers to not wake up.
- Magic Music: Her songs give boosts to nearby players.
- In the battle outside the Imperial Residence in Tokyo, she buffs all the SA members there.
- Minored in Ass-Kicking: While she usually focused on studying SAO's lore, and by extension the Silver Millennium's history and culture, she is a capable enough fighter in her own right.
- Spared by the Adaptation: The changes in circumstances lead to her survival.
- Good Shepherd: Boxy, who is a Catholic priest, is willing to listen and give counsel to any player, no matter who they are or who/what they worship.
- HeelFace Turn: They have chosen to join the good guys in the fight against the Dark Kingdom.
- I Hate Past Me: They are very aware of who and what they were in their past lives and are dedicated to stopping the Dark Kingdom because of their past lives' part in ending the Silver Millennium.
- Irony: Boxy is a Catholic Priest in this life and is the least combative of the reincarnated Great Youma. In his past live, he was the most bloodthirsty and battle loving of them.
- Martial Pacifist: Boxy wants to not have to use violence - but is more than willing to defend himself, his friends and the innocents.
ALO PlayersThe players of Alfheim Online, a game that was published during the SAO Incident. Unknown to them, the main purpose of this game is to teach players how to use magic, so that they will be able to use it in real life as part of the efforts against the Dark Kingdom.
Favorite weapon: Katana
Kazuto's younger sister (actually cousin), she became devastated when her big brother became trapped into the virtual world of Aincrad. In her attempt to understand what drives him, she ends up becoming a beta tester for the up-and-coming VR game Alfheim Online'.
- Big Brother Worship: Absolutely adores Kazuto, and was badly affected by how he slowly drifted apart from her.
- Blow You Away: She has a minor affinity for Wind Magic and plays a Sylph in ALO, which specializes in that magic.
- Intergenerational Friendship: With Kouichirou.
- Master of Illusion: Her primary magical affinity is Shadow Magic.
- Only Sane Man: In the first arc of Book 2, she has this dynamic with Kirito and Asuna inside ALO.
- Shipper on Deck: Considers her brother's relationship with Asuna absolutely adorable, and really wants to meet Asuna in real life.
Asuna's big brother and SAO beta-tester, he was unable to join SAO on Launch Day because he had to go on a business trip, and allowed Asuna to play with his NerveGear. Unfortunately, this led to Asuna's entrapment into the game, something that weighs on him.
- Big Brother Instinct: Adores Asuna and does everything he can to protect her.
- Intergenerational Friendship: With Suguha.
- It's All My Fault: Blames himself for Asuna getting trapped in SAO.
- Shipper on Deck: Heartily approves of Asuna's relationship with Kirito, as he met him during the beta and he knows him to be a good person.
A high-ranking executive in RECT Progress, he is in charge of trying to find a way to stop the SAO Incident, as well as RECT's newest game, Alfheim Online. Without the knowledge of his superiors, he is trying to use both to find a way to study memory modification and mind control - and he has no scruples on how to do it.
- Abhorrent Admirer: He is one to Asuna.
- Corrupt Corporate Executive: Has no problem in trapping three hundred people to study how to modify memories and control minds.
- Entitled Bastard: Thinks he is entitled to have Asuna as his wife. Asuna's opinion, apparently, does not matter.
- Inferiority Superiority Complex: He believes himself to be smart and capable, but he always feels under the shadow of Akihiko Kayaba, something that prompts many of his actions.
- Laser-Guided Karma: Is taken down by Asuna during the confrontation outside the hospital, resulting in not only a broken foot, but also being arrested by the police.
- Name's the Same: There was an Oberon as well in Aincrad, who was captured by the Dark Kingdom.
- Smug Snake: Oh, very much so.
- Surrounded by Idiots: Silica's escaping and evading her captors, not to mention her being broken out after she had been caught and his subordinates not showing some initiative and putting in a simple measure, like what had been done in canon SAO to ensure players wouldn't be able to get up that high on Yggdrasil from the outside, despite it already being higher than the altitude limit.
- Villain Ball: Holding this is what caused his plans to collapse and for him to get arrested.
- Villainous Breakdown: When he realizes that Asuna is not among the three hundred trapped players.
Reincarnation name: Jadeite
Jadeite's reincarnation and a high ranking Salamander player inside ALO and brother of the faction leader. Runs into Kirito and Asuna when they are investigating ALO on the suspicion that the Three Hundred are trapped in there.
- Defeat Means Friendship: After Kirito and Asuna defeat him, he chooses to aid them in their investigation.
- Everyone Has Standards: Learning that the Three Hundred Sleepers may be trapped in Yggdrasil leads him to plan joining forces with the Cait Sith and the Sylph (which he had been about to attack moments before) to fulfill the Grand Quest and reach the top of the tree.
- Irony: Both Jadeite and Eugene's ALO character have propensity with fire magic, but he himself actually has an affinity with water magic.
- Making a Splash: His IRL affinity is Water. Jadeite had a Fire affinity in the past and is the reason why he decided to play as a Salamander in ALO to begin with.
- Mama Bear: When she sees her nephew Akihiko Kayaba, she reads him the riot act over the mess that got Kazuto trapped into Sword Art Online.
- Awesomeness by Analysis: He was able to dissect Kirito and Asuna's fighting styles, despite their chosen weapons being different than the one he mastered.
- Expy: Of Himura Kenshin, it's in his name, after all.
- Master Swordsman: He's the one who trained Suguha to the skill level she has, taught Kirito until he dropped out of training, and is able to beat Heathcliff in spars consistently.
- Old Master: He's a master of both Kendo and Kenjutsu.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Initially opposed to her daughter getting engaged to Kirito, she begins to thaw after he saves her and her husband's lives from a Youma.
- She appears to have completely defrosted and accepting of her daughter's relationship, even beginning to plan Asuna and Kirito's wedding with the hologram of Princess Serenity's mother while they are in the Moon.
- Defector from Decadence: Defected from the Dark Kingdom.
- Happily Married: To Solbjoem.
- Lima Syndrome: Is well aware that the relationship that led to her marriage to Solbjoem is because of the bond they developed while he was still a captive.
- Love Redeems: While her marriage to Solbjoem was for pragmatic reasons, she was already fond of him by the time they excaped the Dark Kingdom and has truly fallen in love with him in the decade since.
- Mama Bear: Used hilariously to intimidate Usagi into putting Umi down.
- Meaningful Name: A Youma, who has the name of Yomi. How obvious can you get?
- My Species Doth Protest Too Much: A Youma who is on the side of the good guys.
- Thicker Than Water: Arguably, the primary reason she defected when pregnant.
The ten-year-old Half-Faerie, Half-Youma hybrid daughter of Solbjoem and Yomi. Even without an illusion on her to hide her less human features, she favors her father's appearance more than her mother's, with her Youma heritage being more shown by her very pale skin, purple hair, and cat-like eyes. Can't cast the illusion on herself and needs either her father or mother to cast it on her. Is currently enrolled at Kawagoe Elementary School and is a part of the rhythmic gymnastics club.
- Badass Adorable: Has killed the Youma attacked her, captured another and is considered to be absolutely adorable by the rest of the characters.
- Big Eater: She doesn't need to absorb life energy, but has a very high metabolism and can eat a lot of food.
- Half-Human Hybrid: Well, Half-Faerie, and Half-Youma.
- I'm Taking Her Home with Me!: Usagi, being Usagi, has this reaction when she sees the girl without an illusion over her.
- Oh, Crap!: Has a brief one when the illusion hiding that she is no human breaks in front of her classmates when she captures a Youma. Fortunately, her friends show that they are true friends.
Mio Kuroki's fiancé, Mamoru is also the reincarnation of Endymion, the Prince of Earth during the Silver Millenium. He is an ally of the Senshi under the alias "Tuxedo Mask", helping them in their struggle against the Dark Kingdom.
- Empowered Badass Normal: He's a normal human who gained powers similar to the Senshi.
- Hiding in Plain Sight: Due to his not using his full power, the Dark Kingdom hasn't coined onto the fact that he is Endymion's reincarnation, despite his having been at the forefront of fighting them in Tokyo for years.
- I Am Not Left-Handed: Uses his Tuxedo Mask guise, despite it being explicitly weaker than what he could do if he used the powers he has as Endymion's reincarnation to avoid drawing the Dark Kingdom's attention.
- Odd Friendship: On the surface, with Klein.
- Reincarnation Romance: Averted. He's very much in love with Mio, and patiently waits for her to get free from SAO so they can eventually get married.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Seems to have this dynamic with Klein, as it appears that the two enjoy teasing and needling each other.
SenshiA group of girls who are the reincarnations of past Magical Girls, sworn to fight the Dark Kingdom and protect humanity from their attacks. Unfortunately, being the first line of defense for more than a decade has left a heavy mark on them.
- Broken Ace: They are exceptionally powerful in their own right, but a decade of fighting the Dark Kingdom has taken its toll on them.
- Destructive Savior: Uranus and Neptune tend to be a tad too enthusiastic when fighting their enemies. It's not helped that their attacks aren't really designed to not cause damage to the surroundings or anything near the target when the attack connects, as Rameses found out.
- Non-Uniform Uniform: Until Asuna came into the picture and standardized the appearances, each of them could vary wildly in appearance. Even after Asuna came into the picture and standardized their appearances, each of the Senshi have personal touches to how they look.
- Shell-Shocked Veteran: Being forced to fight almost non-stop for more than ten years on their own against the Dark Kingdom does not make for a nice time.
- Suddenly Bilingual: They each know the native language of their past lives, or can learn them quickly, and can at least recognize Lunarian. Setsuna and Persephone both know Lunarian as neither Saturn nor Pluto had their own primary language and used Lunarian by default.
Princess/Reincarnation name: Iris
- An Ice Person: How her Water Affinity manifests is her using Ice,
- Awesomeness by Analysis: She is the weakest of the Inner Senshi, so she uses her computer to find enemy weaknesses to exploit, making her very effective in providing tactical intelligence for the others.
- Bullet Hell: Due to the low outright offensive power she initially has, she makes and designs spells inspired by Bullet Hell games.
- Weak, but Skilled: When compared to the rest of the Senshi, she is weak due to her initial powers not being favorable towards direct combat. She makes up for this by being very good with what she can do and in a support role such as using her computer to provide intelligence and also designing spells of her own to basically flood her target with attacks that hit multiple times.
Princess/Reincarnation name: Inanna
- Adaptation Dye-Job: Rather than looking extremely similar to Usagi, she looks almost identical to an older and more muscular Asuna, as expected from her body double duties.
- She had her canonical blonde hair until the age of seven, when it suddenly became the same color as Asuna's when the latter was born, which is why she never confused Usagi for the reincarnated Princess Serenity.
- Badass Biker: Her favorite vehicle is an unrestricted Suzuki Hayabusa.
- Bare-Fisted Monk: Fights mostly with martial arts, especially Savate, though she knows how to use weapons.
- Body Double: Asuna's, of course.
- Combat Pragmatist: Possesses an intimate knowledge of all weaknesses of a human body and can target them when appropriate, and praises Kirito for killing Kunzite and Jadeite from behind.
- Cool Bike: Was gifted a 1999 Suzuki Hayabusa.
- Cool Car: Was gifted a green 1966 convertible Ford Thunderbird as part of a Thelma & Louise shout-out.
- Cunning Linguist: Is fluent in multiple languagues, including English, French, and Italian. And she apparently finds learning Lunarian easier than the aforementioned languages...
- Deliberate Values Dissonance: Spent her childhood in Paris and London, and has a somewhat different set of values from everyone else.
- Empowered Badass Normal: Already trained in martial arts years before first becoming Sailor V.
- Fish out of Water/Funny Foreigner: Having spent her childhood in Paris and London she has some interesting gaps in her knowledge of Japanese culture, at one point missing a reference to The Tale of Genji (a classic of Japanese literature) and mistaking it for one to Italian culture.
- Godzilla Threshold: Venus knows people she could have used to help fighting the Dark Kingdom at the cost of heavy collateral damage, and was seriously considering calling them in (starting with Sakura Kinomoto and Syaoran Li) when Asuna and the SAO players provided much needed reinforcements.
- Good Bad Girl: Has no problem going at sex shops, solo or with a love interest.
- Kid with the Leash: The only one capable of keeping Uranus in check.
- Kick Chick: As said above, she favors Savate in combat.
- Married to the Job: Even more than in canon, having effectively renounced to all her dreams and goals for her duty. She only starts relaxing after the Dark Kingdom is dealt with.
- NEET: Played with: on one hand she doesn't hold a job due her duties as a Senshi taking too much time, but on the other she has some good income through various sources (she gets called in to hunt down train gropers for Tokyo's subway operators and publicily humiliate them and is hinted to sell parts of her Rapunzel Hair to extension makers, among others). None of them are a steady job, all of them bring in more than enough money to live comfortably.
- Oblivious to Love: Seems completely unaware of Lux' feelings for her-or just acts like that due the age difference.
- Overly Pre-Prepared Gag: Fond of these, as shown when she revealed she learned Italian just to make a pun on Mina Mazzini.
- Religious Bruiser: She's actually a practicing Catholic, and sufficiently knowledgeable about the Bible and canon law to find and exploit loopholes in a number of usual belief.
- Renaissance Woman: As in canon, she's liable to pull some strange ability out of nowhere, such as when Lux needed her Important Haircut and Minako provided it (and informed her where to sell the cut hair) or her surprising knowledge of chain mail types.
- Sherlock Scan: Can easily guess things from minor things, such as Lux coming from a wealthy and prestigious family just from her pre-haircut hair or her physical conditioning with a quick look to her shoulders, arms and legs. Downplayed, as she can get things wrong (she assumed Lux uses a sword and shield).
- Ship Tease: With Lux. A side story showed they will eventually marry.
- Stepford Smiler: Almost always smiling. Almost never sincerely.
- Stock Superhero Day Jobs: It's mentioned she had been a part-time cop as a teen before quitting to focus more on being a superhero.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: Has a crippling fear of virtual reality ever since a youma trapped her in a video game without a chance to move.
Princess/Reincarnation name: Badb
- Anger Born of Worry: Slaps and berates Rameses in his native Graelic, which she knows due to being the reincarnation of Princess Badb, for his use of a Dangerous Forbidden Technique which nearly killed him.
- She also rushes back to the shrine after Rameses, Silica and Kebechet have an encounter with Jadeite to make sure that they are okay.
- Crash-Into Hello: How she meets Klein.
- Miko: Like in canon, she's a shrine priestess. She is also training Silica in many of the more esoteric arts of the profession, such as Divination and Onmyodo.
- Parental Neglect: Hates her father because he prized his political career over his own daughter or even coming home when his wife was on her deathbed and wants nothing to do with him now that she's an adult.
- Ship Tease: With Klein.
Princess/Reincarnation name: Rauni
- Blow You Away: Her primary affinity is Wind.
- Lightning Bruiser:
- Shock and Awe: Her powers manifest as powerful lightning magic.
- Supreme Chef: She runs a restaraunt IRL as a way of supporting herself outside of her Senshi duties.
- Suddenly Bilingual: Her inability with languages other than her native Japanese is well known by her friends, so her ability to speak Alvarin fluently catches everyone who knows her off guard.
Princess/Reincarnation name: Hathor
- Destructive Savior: To the point where Venus keeps her pointed at the storage facilities that Jadeite set up to store life energy and minimize the risk of collateral casualties.
- Freudian Excuse: According to Michiru, one of the reasons behind her abrasive personality is the fact that her family could not accept her sexual orientation.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The Red to Neptune's Blue.
- Underestimating Badassery: Does this several times. Every time backfires on her really fast.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: Something happened between her and Lila, resulting in Haruka being traumatized and quite scared of the Italian.
Princess/Reincarnation name: Nakama
Princess/Reincarnation name: Moira
- Crutch Character: Her being more free with her abilities to use the Time Gates in the past to gather information has made the Senshi too reliant on her to provide them information, despite them having all the tools they need to learn what they need to know themselves.
- She is intentionally not being helpful in the same way with Asuna and the SA to prevent this from happening with them.
- I Hate Past Me: Has stated that if she could, she would go to the past and either beat Moira to death with the Time Key, or sodomize her with it due to her being one of the actors responsible to invoking The Silence and ending the Silver Millennium.
- Oh, Crap!: Her reaction when faced with an understandably unhappy Persephone who has awakened into her role as the Senshi of Saturn.
- Secret Keeper: Has not informed Uranus and Neptune of their own past lives' roles in ending the Silver Millennium due to knowing how badly the two of them would take that revelation.
- Time Master: Her powers are the manipulation of time, though with very strict restrictions on them. The consequences for misusing them can easily be fatal, as the least consequential result.
Silver Millennium SurvivorsSaturn's invoking the Silence did not kill everyone and it is known that Aincrad is still around, functioning, and inhabited. There are also others who were not on Aincrad but are still alive due to being put into stasis.
- Human Popsicle: Going in and out of stasis is how they have survived the ensuing ten thousand years.
- Magitek: Their technology is a mix between magic and science.
- Really 700 Years Old: Well, over ten thousand. They are still alive due to stasis technology.
- The Remnant: Of the Silver Millennium.
- Aliens Speaking Japanese: Due to having been brought into SAO via the connection the game has to the Lunar Palace's AI, had the Japanese language downloaded into her brain, allowing her to speak it.
- Bodyguarding a Badass: She was once the bodyguard of Princess Serenity, who was more than capable of kicking ass, and is now fulfilling the same role for Asuna, Serenity's reincarnation.
- Fish out of Temporal Water: Ten thousand years after the end of the Silver Millenium have changed a lot of things.
- Shipper on Deck: Quietly supports Asuna's romantic relationship with Kirito.
- Fish out of Temporal Water: Comes with going into stasis during the fall of a civilization ten thousand years ago and ending up on Earth in the modern day. She adapts well enough and her role as SA's medic gives her something to do.
- The Medic: She was Serenity's personal medic, and becomes Asuna's, and the chief medic of the Silver Army by extension, after waking up.
- A Boy and His Sabercat: Has a sabercat companion, named Rājakumāri. No, she is not his pet.
- Action Survivor: He isn't a professional soldier or a warrior at all and yet has ended up in more life threatening situations than most and has the scars to prove it.
- After-Action Report: A series of side stories taking place after Waltz covers his returning to Aincrad to brief the Governor-General and the surviving Royal Guard's seniormost general and to answer questions about what went on.
- An Arm and a Leg: Lost his arm at one point, but got it reattached.
- Attractive Bent-Gender: Silica certainly seems to think so if her reactions to him being forced into drag are any indication.
- Berserk Button: Do not threaten those he considers family. Zoicite did and died at his hands because of it.
- Conveniently an Orphan: He certainly doesn't think so.
- Dangerous Forbidden Technique: Uses one to prevent Mistress 9 from escaping. This nearly kills him, and it forces him to train so as to be able to better contain his now higher magical power.
- Dented Iron: He made a living by helping keep track of the state of Aincrad's many environments, which is not the safest job and has the scars to prove it, including two large ones on his shoulders, one of which goes completely through and where his arm had been severed and reattached.
- The incident responsible for the worst of his scars? A result of him being trapped and hunted by a nest of sword wraiths five floors below where they should have been at the lowest, plenty of explosives, a fall of four hundred meters, losing an arm, nearly losing another and being clinically dead in the immediate aftermath twice as the healers frantically worked to stabilize him afterward.
- Dragged into Drag: Often has this happen to him when he does something that makes Asuna feel that she needs to punish him. It's happened often enough that Rei has begun to wonder if he enjoys it.
- Or, in the case of the aftermath of the first trip to the moon, to distract him from what happened there, with him putting on a fashion show with wedding dresses, save for one time during that show where he was the goom.
- Everyone Has Standards: Assaults both Uranus and Venus after they make moves to summarily kill the Youma that surrendered after the final battle of Waltz of the Unseelie Court. It's noted that while he has as many reasons to hate the Youma as much as (if not more than) everyone present, simply killing the surrendered Youma out of hand once they surrendered is not acceptable.
- Friendly Fireproof: Averted, as a magical attack by Uranus, while missing him, still catches him in the blast and throws him into a wall, breaking one of his arms and two of his ribs. Fortunately, he had a healing crystal to repair the damage, though that did not get rid of the pain.
- Gender Bender: Unwillingly so and he knows just how complete a transformation the Metamorphosis spell is, having averted the No Periods, Period when he was turned into a girl for two months by his sister.
- Had to Be Sharp: Aincrad is a dangerous place outside of the fortified towns and villages and his job when out of stasis before ending up on Earth was to help catalogue and monitor Aincrad's numerous environments. This means that he is far more skilled in combat and survival than most youths his age.
- Hammerspace: Already has the ability to access his inventory, where he keeps his weapons and armor stored when he's not out on patrol or having to fight Youma.
- Heroes Prefer Swords: Justified. He does have a pulser, a Silver Millennium firearm that averts the usualy results when guns are used against Youma, but has only used it once, so he uses a sword or magic to fight with to minimize the risk of people getting caught in the crossfire.
- Human Subspecies: He's a Syveri (Denisovan), though he has some Humeri (Homo sapiens) ancestry.
- Improbable Age: Was basically living on his own before the age of fifteen and holding a somewhat dangerous full time job.
- Mercy Kill: Had to give this to a family member who couldn't move on after death and was one of the walking dead.
- Noodle Incident: All he will say about his spending two months as a girl is that he said the wrong thing at the wrong time to his sister and she changed his gender, which no one would reverse for two months.
- Oh, Crap!: When he arrives on Earth, it's close to a Youma attack and he realizes it while he is pursuing the feathered dragon that resulted in his accidental teleportation to Earth to begin with.
Rameses: (In Lunarian) Well, we're fucked.
- He, Silica and Kebechet shadow a patrol and get separated from it by a large number of Youma. They keep killing them and then Jadeite appears.
- Has this reaction when he kills Zoicite and makes the connection that what they have been fighting was not a reanimated corpse, but a body being possessed by Aincrad's own boogeyman, a Sword Wraith.
- Once Done, Never Forgotten: He blew a hole between the eighty-fifth and eighty-fourth floors in Aincrad, which still hasn't been repaired after a thousand years. It's even been named Rameses' Skylight, much to his annoyance. Also doubles a an example of Remember When You Blew Up a Sun? as well, given that he did it to successfully take down a nest of Sword Wraiths, after surviving being hunted and stalked by them for two weeks, though doing so nearly killed him.
- Playing with Fire: Has a powerful Fire affinity.
- Promotion to Parent: In a canon post Waltz sidestory, this happens to him due to his five year old cousin, Elerin, being the only survivor of the Soulfire family that was on Mars when The Fall happened. Due to them being only a decade apart in age, he seems to have more of an older brother relationship with her. And she calls him "Big Brother". On the other hand, a lot of people who don't know him or the fact that he's a teenager, tend to think he's her actual father due to their Strong Family Resemblance.
- Real Men Cook: Downplayed in the sense that he is more than happy to let others do the cooking, but he shows his own cooking skills off using field kitchen ration packs and spices sent from Aincrad along with local ingredients to act as substitutes for things he didn't have on hand to provide an Aincrad style meal on one occasion. He notes that learning how to make decent meals out of ration packs and whatever you can scrounge up is a skill that many who spend a lot time outside of Aincrad's towns inevitably pick up.
- Real Name as an Alias: In ALO, he doesn't bother with making an alias up and uses his real name.
- Scars Are Forever: His torso has several scars, and both of his shoulders are scarred, with one scar going clear through a shoulder where he lost it and had it reattached.
- Ship Tease: With Silica.
- Understatement: Calling his using a Dangerous Forbidden Technique that nearly kills him not entirely safe certainly falls into this category.
Rameses' adopted older sister who jumps at the offer to go to Earth when presented, all so she can give her adoptive younger brother a piece of her mind and make sure he doesn't get himself killed.
- Affectionate Nickname: Is called Skuggi, a diminutive of her birth name, by Rameses.
- Anger Born of Worry: The reason she jumps at the chance to go to Earth when Persephone raises the offer is to give Rameses a piece of her mind due to him not contacting her and her learning of his status of having been teleported to Earth second hand.
- Child Prodigy: Is more talented and powerful with magic than Rameses is and has two primary affinities.
- Conveniently an Orphan: She would certainly not think so, as not only were her biological parents killed by Youma during the fall, but her adopted parents died when their stasis pods malfunctioned, meaning that she has had to go through losing her parents twice. Later subverted when it is discovered that her older brother is alive.
- Happily Adopted: Was adopted by Rameses' parents after The Fall due to her parents being killed and her brother being missing and presumed dead.
- Making a Splash: One of her primary affinities is Water.
- Master of Illusion: One of her primary affinities is Shadow and she uses an illusion to hide her Faerie features while on Earth.
- Meaningful Name: Her birth name means Shadowed Light in Alvarin. The lack of a patronymic in her birth name is also significant, but the reason for it hasn't been explained.
- Klatchian Coffee: Espresso has this effect on her.
- Lady Swears A Lot: She can be remarkably foul mouthed when her ire is up.
- Really 700 Years Old: Is technically over ten thousand years old, but she doesn't count the years spent in stasis as a part of her age.
- Red Baron: A thousand years in the future, she is known as The Uncrowned Guardian, implying that she is as powerful (or almost as powerful) as the Senshi are by that time.
- Shipper on Deck: Ships Rameses and Silica and is actively plotting to hook the two up together.
- Troll: Has been known to tease and rile Rameses up for her own amusement.
Rameses' cousin, who was five years old when she went into stasis in the aftermath of The Fall, and was taken in by him after being awakened.
- Cheerful Child: Comes across as this at first, then she finds learns her family, barring Rameses, is dead. She returns to being generally cheerful by the time Black Sniper comes about.
- Human Subspecies: Like Rameses, she's a Syveri.
- Sole Survivor: She is the only Soulfire on Mars who survived being in stasis for ten thousand years.
- Strong Family Resemblance: It's easy to tell that she and Rameses are related, and her hair color is a shade of red that Rei only has seen on one person, which is how she is able to connect the dots, even before it gets confirmed.
Kebechet's older brother. Captured by the Dark Kingdom during the fall and held in a stasis prison for ten thousand years until Nephrite has an idea of seeing if it is possible to crossbreed any of the prisoners with Youma. It is, and he escapes with the pregnant Youma who he later marries and they have a daughter.
- Happily Married: To his Youma wife, Yomi.
- Meaningful Name: The last name he took on, Yoruhokōsha, has the same meaning that Næturvalla does: Nightwalker.
- Never Found the Body: Was listed as Missing in Action, Presumed Dead in the aftermath of The Fall.
- Papa Wolf: Threaten his daughter in his presence, I dare you.
- Stockholm Syndrome: Is fully aware that his relationship with his wife started because of this.
The seniormost surviving Officer of Royal Guard at the rank of Captain-General and only lower ranking than Captain Heathcliff back during the Silver Millennium.
- The Chains of Commanding: He made the decision to cease rescue efforts after The Fall because it has been resulting in them finding only corpses. When it is proven that there were survivors, he accepts responsibility for the decision and steps down from his position for an investigation and, if he's cleared, plans to retire.
- To his credit, the moment he finds out, he arranges to get supplies to them immediately via Persephone, who had come to Aincrad for that purpose, and immediately lights a fire under everyone's asses to get ships ready so that the survivors can be evacuated to Aincrad.
- Four-Star Badass: He's a member of the Royal Guard and a general, it stands to reason that he is one.
- Oh, Crap!: When he first meets the reincarnated Persephone.
Dark KingdomThe villains of the story. Having lain in hibernation for millenia since the destruction of the Silver Empire, they awakened a decade ago in order to continue with their plots to Take Over the World.
- Ascended Fanon: Got nicknamed "Zomberyl" by a reader. The name stuck.
- Big Bad: She is the Senshi's and the Silver Army's main enemy.
- Evil Redhead: Like in the original.
- FaceHeel Turn: She was once part of the Silver Millenium, but eventually she changed and became its greatest enemy.
- Granted, her reincarnation admits that it wasn't willing on her part, but her past self's personality made her an easy person to target for possession and control.
- God Save Us from the Queen!: She is the Queen of the Dark Kingdom and noted to be a Bad Boss.
- Killed Off for Real: Beryl-chan finishes her off in the last chapter of Waltz of the Unseelie Court.
- Oh, Crap!: When she realizes that Asuna is the reincarnated Princess Serenity, but mostly because she also has the Ginzuisho on her.
- Orcus on His Throne: She remains in her palace, sending her minions after the heroes in order to carry out her plots. When she finally takes action, it is because the palace is already under attack by the Silver Army.
- Deader Than Dead: The four of them are already long dead and are killed again. Kirito kills Jadeite (the same one who killed his parents) and Kunzite, Agil kills Nephrite (the one he is a reincarnation of) and Rameses does Zoisite in.
- Demonic Possession: They are already dead and their bodies are being possessed by Sword Wraiths.
- The Dreaded: All of them are very much feared in Japan, due to their power and ability. Jadeite's death prompts multiple celebrations in Minato Ward.
- Rameses discovers that they are actually Sword Wraiths, the most feared creatures in Aincrad.
- Dying as Yourself: How Nephrite dies is him intentionally moving towards Kathy, Agil's wife, in such a way that he will be intercepted by Agil's axe in a lethal way in order to prevent a Split-Personality Takeover by the Sword Wraith that is possessing and animating his body.
- I Hate Past Me: They are the target of this from the reincarnations of their human selves.
- Possessing a Dead Body: They have been dead for ten thousand years. While the intelligent spirit possessing them is that of a Sword Wraith, they have enough of their original memories that they don't realize it but are at times acting in ways that their past selves wouldn't act.
- Split-Personality Takeover: How their less than intelligent actions come about due to the fact that Sword Wraiths are, while effective and very dangerous hunters, are not known for being overly patient and acting hastily or in a poorly thought out manner.
- Suicide by Cop: Well, Suicide By SAO Survivor, but this is how Nephrite dies so that he can die on his terms.
- Baleful Polymorph: They were not originally Youma, but were turned into them, along with brainwashing.
- Brainwashed: At least until Asuna came by and undid it. Turning them back from being Youma took a bit longer.
- Elite Mook: They are Youma who happen to be smarter and more powerful than the regular Youma.
- Family of Choice: All of them tend to treat each other more like siblings and have a similar level of loyalty to each other.
- Meaningful Rename: With the exception of Aoi, it is both Midori and Akai go by their original names, from before their becoming Youma after Asuna purifies them.
- Luke, I Am Your Father: Aoi is in reality Kirito and Akihiko's mother turned into a Youma.
- Spared by the Adaptation: Aoi, Midori and Akai survive and are purified by Asuna and restored to how the were before they became Youma by the end of Waltz of the Unseelie Court.
- Was Once a Man: Aoi, Midori and Akai were, in order, a human, a Sylph and a Salamander before being turned into Youma.