open/close all folders
Elizabeth Kajolica "Bessie" Higgenbottom
The main character,a 9¾ year old (her words) Honeybee scout, who takes being Honeybee scout very seriously and wants to get every badge.
- Speech Impediment: Bessie's missing her front teeth, so she has a little bit of a lisp. It's cute. Even when she has her teeth back, she still has a lisp.
- Tomboy: Bessie subverts the many gender stereotypes of her peers and has some rather boyish qualities, pretty much being a female SpongeBob in this regard.
- Throw the Dog a Bone: Mostly ends out on top despite the abuse she's put through.
Happy Walter Higgenbottom
Bessy's dog, she meets in the pilot
- The Unintelligible: Dogs in general are the "only understood by other characters" version.
Benjamin "Ben" Higgenbottom
Voiced by: Andy Richter
Bessy's little brother
- Bare Your Midriff: Rare male version, despite being just a little kid. This tends to come from him being chubby.
- Big Fun: Seeing how he is a little obese.
- Disappeared Dad: No mention of either Bessie and Ben's father has been made.
Voiced by: Megan Cavanagh
The single hippie mother of Bessie and Ben (and Happy, too). She runs Hilary's Cafe.
- Alliterative Name: Her name being Hilary and Higgenbottom.
- Big Beautiful Woman: From what we can see, she's plump and curvaceous.
- Big Fun: She's plump and fun-loving.
- Hippie Parents: Downplayed. She plays this role, following some of the hippie ideals as, the usual portrayals, except she's not a Granola Girl (her eatery mostly serves meat).
- Reasonable Authority Figure: She tends to play this role in most of the episodes, at least in comparison to Mary Gibbons. She lets her kids be free to explore their imaginations and let's them get into whatever schemes, however, she will step in when she sees necessary (like when she forbid Bessie from using radioactive materials in science fair projects).
Mary's Alpha Bitch
daughter, who goes out of her way to get under Bessie's skin.
- Alpha Bitch: A stuck-up, blonde, Valley Girl. Her cousin and mother are even worse.
- Beauty, Brains, and Brawn: She tends to play the beauty to Gwen's brains and Penny's brawn.
- Big Bad: For all intents and purposes, she's the show's principle antagonist, always trying to scheme against Bessie. Though sometimes she forages into Big Bad Wannabe territory instead.
- Blonde, Brunette, Redhead: The blonde to Gwen and Penny's brunettes and Mary Frances' redhead.
- The Bully: She seems to go out of her way to humiliate Bessie.
- Disappeared Dad: No mention of Portia's father has been made.
- Dumb Blonde: In the pilot episode, "So Happy Together", Portia spent the whole episode carrying around a rat thinking it was a dog, even kissing it. To be fair, everyone else thought so too.
- Evil Is Petty: In "Beenadict Arnold" Portia tried to take Happy away from Bessie just because it would make Bessie feel bad.
- For the Evulz: Often Portia's evil acts against Bessie have no real motivation.
- Hate Sink: She's just a despicable bully who torments Bessie all the time and serves no other purpose than to help the viewers root for Bessie to succeed.
- Jerkass: She's especially mean to Bessie.
- Laser-Guided Karma: She gets her comeuppance a fair amount of the time.
- Smug Snake: Pretty much all of her evil schemes against Bessie end up failing one way or the other and it's almost always a direct result of her arrogance and/or lack of foresight.
- True Blue Femininity: She wears blue and white.
- Unknown Rival: To Bessie, who doesn't even realize that Portia hates her.
- Valley Girl: In a low, scratchy Californian valley girl voice.
Portia's best friend who's "totally tuned into hip-hop and urban culture"
- Asian Airhead: Type A, as she's Chinese and a vapid Alpha Bitch character. However, she mostly acts the part, as she knows how to run a business.
- Beauty, Brains, and Brawn: She plays much of the brains (despite being an airhead) to Portia's beauty and Penny's brawn.
- Beta Bitch: Portia's right hand girl, along with serving as her dragon.
- Blonde, Brunette, Redhead: The brunette to Portia's blonde and Mary Frances' redhead (One of two).
- The Bully: She is seen bullying Bessie along with Portia.
- Jerkass: Probably slightly nicer than Portia, but she still picks on Bessie.
- Missing Mom: Kind of an odd case, considering her brothers are younger than her (the youngest still being a baby), so it can be assumed that her mother is around (just not seen).
- Outnumbered Sibling: She's the only female with five brothers.
- Punch-Clock Villain: When Portia's not around, she's nicer and doesn't antagonize Bessie as much.
- Skirt over Slacks: Wears a dress over her pants.
Penelope "Penny" Lefkowitz
Voiced by: Dannah Feinglass
Bessie's best friend, who's more brawn than brain
- Fat Bitch: Downplayed; she can be this when she teams up with Portia and Gwen, Bessie's enemies.
- Fat Best Friend: To Bessie, though sometimes she joins Portia to gang up on Bessie.
- Fat Idiot: An awkward, dull, obese girl.
- Gasshole: Belches after drinking a root beer in "An I See Bee".
- Girlish Pigtails: Two little brown pigtails.
- Gonk: Just look at the size and shape of her head. It's shaped like a pear, adding more to her apelike build.
- Gonky Femme: Is really into feminine things, but is rather apish in appearance.
- HeelFace Revolving Door: Penny is Bessie's best friend, and yet she frequently goes behind her back to team up with Portia and Gwen (sometimes to gang up against her, even). What's even more odd is that Bessie never seems to have a problem with this.
- Ill Girl: Downplayed but her father does remind her not to forget her inhaler in one episode.
- Missing Mom: We only see her father.
- Simpleton Voice: Very idiotic, and has a deep somewhat congested voice to go along with it.
- With Friends Like These...: She cows to peer-pressure very easily and is willing to bully Bessie to get on Portia's good side. Exactly why Bessie continues to be her friend after this is anyone's guess.
Mrs. Mary Frances Gibbons
Voiced by: Sarah Thyre
Portia's mom, who's the den-mother of the Honeybees. According to her, the Honeybees are a "mother-daughter activity"
- '60s Hair: Wears her red hair in a large bouffant with a swooped flip at each side.
- Apathetic Teacher: She hates her job as scoutmaster as much as she hates Bessie, especially when Bessie outshines her daughter.
- Bland-Name Product: She's a certified representative of "Pattie Faye",a Mary Kay parody
- Blonde, Brunette, Redhead: The redhead to Portia's blonde and Gwen and Penny's brunettes.
- Evil Redhead: Has orange hair and is a recurring antagonist.
- Hartman Hips: She's something of a extreme case, as, her hips are so large that one would think she has two sets of buttocks in the front and back.
- Jerkass: Like her daughter, she's especially mean to Bessie.
- The Mentor: She is the den mother and guides the girls by the by-laws (no matter how petty).
- Obnoxious Entitled Housewife: She is the den mother of the Honeybees who flaunts her position within the upper-middle class and always looks for imperfections in her sons, the other scouts, and especially Bessie. Her suburban respectability is in great contrast to the down-to-earth bohemian small business lifestyle of the Higgenbottoms.
- Parental Favoritism: She showers affection and pampering on her more conventionally attractive (and just as mean) daughter Portia but forces her sons Richard and Dick to function as butlers.
- True Blue Femininity: Like her daughter, she mostly wear shades of blue
Mildred "Millie" Millerson
"But you're in the middle of our archery field."
An odd little girl who's monotone and has braces
- Alliterative Name: Millie Millerson
- Ambiguous Disorder: To list, she speaks in a monotone voice and loves shiny/reflective objects.
- Ascended Extra: The makers of the show loved her voice so much they decided to make her more than just a background character.
- Braces of Orthodontic Overkill: Downplayed, as she had regular braces. She used to have braces throughout the show, but in the episode "Children of the Unicorn", her braces were removed.
- A Day in the Limelight: "Mr. Turtleton's Wild Ride", the episode concerning her trying to get the titular turtle back.
- Dumb Blonde: She has blonde hair, a slow voice, and can be silly, however, she's not stupid as most portrayals.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: She's usually kind and friendly.
- Hidden Depths: According to the episode "Irritable Blowing Syndrome", she's good at giving advice.
- Ill Girl: Apparently, she has hypoglycemia.
Bessie's right index finger and imaginary friend
- Imaginary Friend: Though, he acts a lot less imaginary than the usual, complete with making his own expressions.
Anton St. Germain
Voiced by: Matt Besser
The judge of whatever competition in town
Voiced by: N/A
Voiced by: Matt Besser
A hippie that's somewhat friends with Bessie and lives without a care in the world
Voiced by: Keone Young
"So, you won this time, Mighty B. I honor you with this fresh dumpling."
An owner of the Chinese resturant, who's friends with Bessie
- Cloudcuckoolander: He'd have to be if he's willing to go along some of Bessie's zany schemes.
- Look Both Ways: Implied in one episode, where he tells Bessie, "It's okay, I look both ways."
- You No Take Candle: Downplayed but, sometimes, he talks like this.
Voiced by:Kenan Thompson
The 13-year old skateboarding waiter at Hillary's cafe
- Blinding Bangs: His hair covers his eyes, though we do see his eyes when the situation calls for him being more expressive.
- Meaningful Name: His favorite genre of music is rock music.
- Punny Name: Of "rocky roads", on top of being named after the ice cream (rocky roads)
- What Happened to the Mouse?: He doesn't show up at all in Season 2 and we never get an explanation why.
Voiced by:Jessica Chaffain
"Laters, Portia. You are so officially not my cousin."
Portia's 13-year old cousin who's even more obnoxious
- Even Evil Has Standards: Or a case of, Everyone Has Standards. She shows this in the special Dragonflies, when she tells off her old Dragonflies troop, "Was. Past tense. And back in my day, we played rough. But not dirty."
- Shared Family Quirks: What we see of her family, like her aunt and cousin, they all wear varying shades of blue.
- Valley Girl: An example of her speaking, as seen in her caption.
Maya Rudolf (Cherry), Grey De Lisle
(Maude) and Audrey Wasilewski (Bibi)
Bibi (right), Cherry (center), "Laurie" (left), and Maude (rear)
A scout troop from Oakland, California. Their names are Cherry, Maude, and Bibi, with an unnamed fourth member and a dog, Cha-Cha
- Ambiguously Brown: Bibi and "Laurie's" ethnicity are harder to pinpoint other then them being darker-skinned.
- Brawn Hilda: Contrasting with the Big Fun Penny, we have Maude and she's The Heavy of the group
- Evil Counterpart: Cherry, Maude, Bibi, "Laurie", and Cha-Cha are the meaner and tougher versions of Bessie, Penny, Gwen, Portia, and Happy (respectively)
- Meaningful Name: Cherry's hair is a cherry (or raspberry) color.
- No Name Given: The fourth member, though fans call her "Laurie"
- Skunk Stripe: Cherry's hair has darker streaks in it