The characters from The Lions of Al-Rassan.
Jehane is a young Kindath physician, the daughter of the famous Ishak Ben Yonannon. She flees Fezana after the Cartadian purge, after keeping one of the men meant to die under her medical care during the event. She becomes a military doctor for Rodrigo Belmonte's company in Ragosa.
- Aloof Dark-Haired Girl: Somewhat of a Spock.
- Amicable Exes: with Bakir, her former lover from Fezana.
- Armor-Piercing Question: Jehane is quite verse in these, and manages to catch Rodrigo off guard more than once.
- Better as Friends: with Alvar they sleep together once, as Jehane attempts to help Alvar get over his infatuation with her.
- Brainy Brunette: a clever, sharp, brown haired doctor.
- Broken Bird: Downplayed - after Velaz dies. Eventually subverted, as ties call for to get her shit together.
- Brutal Honesty: She knows it's one of her flaws.
- Deadpan Snarker: A trademark which is frequently lampshaded. However, this is somewhat of a World of Snark.
- Death Glare: She uses it many times with varying degrees of success (it never works on Rodrigo and Ammar though always seems to put Alvar and Velaz in their place).
- Determinator: nothing will stop her in her to become a doctor, or in her way to save a life. or on her way to be with Ammar.
- Distracted by the Sexy: Invokes this in the ambush in the valley, to Alvar's chagrin
- Good Is Not Soft: Jehane is a good, loyal person, but she is anything but soft.
- Happily Married: with Ammar in the epilogue.
- Hospital Hottie: a beautiful doctor.
- Like Father, Like Son: Calm, collected professional Frontier Doctor- like her father. A Stepford Snarker like her mother.
- Married to the Job: And that's just fine with her, thank you for asking.
- Matzo Fever: The Crystal Dragon Jesus version of this trope at any rate.
- My God, What Have I Done?: After Ziri kills Farazor in Orvilla.
- Near-Death Experience: after the attempted assassination of Zabirah's sons.
- Nerves of Steel: a required trait of any successful field surgeon.
- No Celebrities Were Harmed: vaguely inspired by Rebecca of York.
- The Smart Girl: A non-action Badass Bookworm woman, surrounded by male warriors.
- Teacher/Student Romance: with Ser Rezzoni, her teacher in Batiara.
- Statuesque Stunner: implied to be this. She isn't considered traditionally beautiful in universe, though she is clearly quite striking.
- Stepford Snarker: Lampshaded. She says it's her way to cope in an all male enviornemt. However, it's part Angst? What Angst? too - it's her way to deal with what happened to her father.
- Strong Family Resemblance: She inherited her father's blue eyes.
- Unkempt Beauty: Her usual appearance is very modest and practical, however - many men find her very attractive. On top of that - She Cleans Up Nicely, wearing an elegant gown and expensive jewelry in the King's fest.
Cartadian military strategist, notorious former assassin and poet. Turns his back on Almalik the First of Cartada after the Fezana purge. He then kills him, and exiled for his crimes by his son, his own protege and accomplice - Almalik the Second. He becomes a general-for-hire for Ragosa.
- The Charmer: Not a Casanova, but ladies fall at his feet. Even the Guys Want Him.
- Cultured Warrior: Versed in poetry and history, on top of being a top duelist and a military strategist.
- The Dandy: Has shades of this.
- Deadpan Snarker: of the Gentleman Snarker variation.
- Happily Married: with Jehane in the epilogue.
- Icy Blue Eyes: built up, as he an Action Hero version of the Gentleman Snarker. Eventually subverted when it turns out he's a good guy. ish.
- No Celebrities Were Harmed: inspired by the historic Andalusian figure Ibn Ammar. See other wiki.
- Pragmatic Hero: if not downright unscrupulous.
- Proud Beauty: Lampshaded by Jehane.
- The Strategist: And a brilliant one at that.
- Warrior Poet: His two main skills.
- Will They or Won't They?: with Jehane. they do. duh.
Feared brave military captain of the Valledo horsemen. Sent to collect protection fees from Fezana in the name of King Ramiro of Valledo, he confront the Valledan men looting Orvillia after the Fezana purge. His actions during that night cost him his position in Valledo, and he is exiled. He and his company leave to Ragosa, to join King Badir's ranks.
- Animal Motifs: the eagle. His helmet is emblazoned with one, and it's the unofficial symbol of his company.
- Badass Mustache: he is a badass of legendary caliber.
- Berserk Button: Raymundo's death. Garcia de Rada can tell you all about that.
- The Captain: a practically unbeatable one. until he isn't.
- Captain Smooth and Sergeant Rough: with Lain.
- Cultured Warrior: Not as fancy as Ammar, but very elegant and knowledgeable in the world outside of the battlefield.
- Determinator: Part of what makes him a good soldier.
- Father to His Men: They adore him, and he cares for them deeply. Lampshaded by Jehane.
- Happily Married: to Miranda.
- Has a Type: Deadpan Snarkers.
- Knight, Knave and Squire: The Knight to Alvar's squire and Lain's knave.
- My Country Right or Wrong: eventually.
- No Celebrities Were Harmed: Inspired by Spanish national hero El Cid. See the other wiki.
- Papa Wolf: Very much so. Though not as much as his wife.
- The Gadfly: he enjoys getting a rise out of people, and often says things just to observe or test the people around him. Also has a touch of The Prankster.
- The Strategist: up to par with Ammar and Mazur.
- Captain Smooth and Sergeant Rough: the sergeant to Rodrigo's captain. However, is not a Sergeant Rock.
- Grumpy Bear: of the Deadpan Snarker variation. Duh.
- Knight in Sour Armour: no one is safe from his sharp tongue.
- Knight, Knave and Squire: The Kanve to Alvar's squire and Rodrigo's knight.
- The Lancer: in Rodrigo's company.
- Number Two: to Rodrigo.
A young soldier in Rodrigo's company.
- Better as Friends: With Jehane.
- Butt-Monkey: in universe, to the commanders of Belmonte's company. He doesn't seem to mind it much.
- Culture Clash: experiences this in the big Asharite city Ragosa, as a Fish out of Water.
- Deadpan Snarker: Rodrigo and Lain give him hell for it.
- Dogged Nice Guy: to Jehane.
- Happily Married: to sir Rezzoni's daughter
- Has a Type: Alvar is very specific- he fell in love twice, both were Kindath physicians, with dark hair and light eyes, and have a famous physician father. Could this be a Race Fetish?
- Knight, Knave and Squire: The Knight to Lain's knave and Rodrigo's knight.
- Like Father, Like Son: Alvar was surprised to hear his father used be a hot headed Deadpan Snarker like himself when he was younger.
- Tall, Dark, and Handsome: Women tend to find him very attractive.
An Asharite silk Merchant from Fezana, Jehane's patient. Was meant to die in the purge. Fled Fezana to Valledo with Belmonte's company. After Rodrigo's exile, he arrives with the company to Ragosa.
- Blithe Spirit: Jehane lampshades this, saying it's impossible to dislike him.
The Loyal and brilliant Kindath advisor of King Badir of Ragosa.
- The Casanova: lampshaded by Jehane.
- Deadpan Snarker: most pronounced in his interactions with Jehane.
- In-Universe Nickname: Prince of the Kindath.
- The Lancer: To King Badir.
- No Celebrities Were Harmed: Inspired by [[Samuel_ibn_Naghrillah Shmuel Hanagid]], a Jewish leader, military general, scholar and poet during the Jewish Golden Age.
- The Charmer: Even the Guys Want Him. Even though he is a Jerk with a Heart of Jerk.
- Cruel Mercy: invoked on Ishak Ben Yonannon.
- Decadent Court: rules one.
- Jerkass: To his sons, his friends and his subjects (note the Fezana Purge). It seems the only one spared is Zabirah.
- The Magnificent: The Lion.
Almalik's eldest son, co-conspirator of his father's murder, and his successor on the throne. Aspires to become a greater king than his father, and increase Cartada's reign by all means necessary.
- Always Someone Better: With his father. Lampshaded by Ammar - he states that Almalik still measures himself in comparison to his father, even after said father was dead (see Patricide below).
- Ambigously Bi: the book hints he used to sexually involved with Ammar, and he certainly seems rather infatuated with him.
- Character Tics: he's developed a twitch in his eyebrow after the Fezana purge
- The Evil Prince: While not as ruthless as his father, he stoops pretty low - Supporting Ammar's assassination of his father then betraying him, as well as the attempted assassinations of his brothers, queen Ines and Rodrigo.
- In-Series Nickname: Ammar and Zabirah refer to him as Malik. Could be a childhood nickname.
- Patricide: invoked on his father via Ammar.
- Prince Charmless: especially in comparison to his father, who was notoriously charming.
- Royal Brat: it's implied by Zabirah and his father that he used to be one, though Ammar doesn't seem to think so.
- The Usurper: Climbes to the throne over his father's body. Literally.
King Almalik the First's third wife. Flees Cartada with Ammar to Ragosa, where she becomes Mazur's consort.
- Aloof Dark-Haired Girl: A brunette Femme Fatale.
- The Chessmaster: senses the threat in the air after the Fezana Purge, and sends her sons to Ragosa. After the assassination, she seduces Ammar - he husband's killer, and persuades him to escort her to Ragosa, to help her put her son on the Cartada throne. She then enlists Badir and Mazur to her cause.
- The Fashionista: lampshaded sarcastically by Jehane. She is well dressed to impractical levels.
- Femme Fatale: a talented seductress. Ammar suggested her to invoke it on Almalik the Second. Complete with a Contralto of Danger. Also implied to be a case of Brains And Bpndage.
- Hot Consort: To Mazur.
- Mama Bear: Will do anything to protect her sons. She also aims to make the older one king of Cartada.
- Proud Beauty: implied. She definitely knows she's beautiful.
- Shipper on Deck: After the king's fest, she tells Mazur that Ammar seems to be bothered with emotional matters. It's left unclear if she refers to his feeling towards Jehane or towards Rodrigo.
- World's Most Beautiful Woman: Shares the reputation with Miranda Belmonte.
Famous Kindath doctor. Jehane's father and Eliana's husband. Almalik the First had him blinded and had his tongue removed after seeing Zabirah naked while delivering her baby in what is described in the novel as the first C-section ever in universe.
Ishak's wife and Jehane's mother.
- Aloof Dark-Haired Girl: a stoic, very unapproachable brunette
- Brainy Brunette: While not academically trained like Ishak and Jehane, she's knowledgeable and clever.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: After what happened to her husband, she crossed the line from The Spock to seemingly Emotionless Girl. When he regains his some ability to speak she starts defrosting. only the attack of the Kindath of Fezana really shakes it out of her.
- Nerves of Steel: hides fugitives in her house with same calm demeanor of someone who is throwing a dinner party.
- Stepford Snarker: though it's hinted that's a new-ish development caused by what was done to her husband.
A servant for Ishak's family, a freed slave and converted Kindath. Leaves Fezana with Jehane after The Purge.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Dies saving Rodrigo.
- Nice Guy: A steady, loyal presence in Jehane's life.
- Non-Action Guy: according to Jehane, he has never done a violent thing in his life until killing a Muwardi soldier attempting to kill Rodrigo.
- The Quiet One: barely speaks. When he does, he is describes as modest and soft spoken.
A notorious bandit who raids convoys in the areas around Cartada and Ragosa.
Tariff's son, second in command in the Bandit Clan.
Tariff's younger son.
- Action Girl: very capable with a bow and arrow.
- Deadpan Snarker: She out-snarks Rodrigo, which is quite the achievement.
- Fiery Redhead: You don't want to cross that redhead.
- Guys Smash, Girls Shoot: the only character depicted using a bow and arrow, and seems to wield them as capably as her husband wields a sword.
- Happily Married: to Rodrigo, even though she gives him hell sometimes.
- Mama Bear: Nothing comes before her sons - not the king, not her husband and not her friends.
- World's Most Beautiful Woman: she is said to be the most beautiful woman in Valledo, if not in all of Esperania.
- Cynicsm Catalyst: Diego's injury.
- Like Father, Like Son: is said to have his father's talent in dueling and horseback riding.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Red to Diego's Blue.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: He is short tempered, argumentative and bold - complete opposite of his twin.
- Twin Banter: Most of his line before he and Diego join the military are this.
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: Dreams of becoming a capable soldier, to please his father.
- Combat Clairvoyance: has visions of his father's actions, especially when he is in danger or in battle. this skill later becomes an asset to Ramiro's army.
- Like Father, Like Son: is calm and assured like his father. He also has his smile, according to Miranda.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Blue to Fernan's Red.
- Always Someone Better: with his brother Raimundo.
- The Charmer: Ines always tries to put him in his place, and fails miserably because of his charming ways. However, it's implied he is not as charming as Raimundo used to be.
- Happily Married: to Ines.
- The Hedonist: Ines finds it to be heretic, and very distracting.
- The Good King: Valledo flourishes under his rule, and it's clear he is the most powerful and beloved Esperanian king.
- Now Its Personal: he was already considering going to war against Cartada, but was hesitant. That is until the poisoned arrow that almost killed Ines was discovered to be of Cartadian origin.
- Prayer Is a Last Resort: Ramiro is at first introduced as an Atheist (ish), but things change when religious war seems to brewing at the horizon. Repeated after Ines is hanging between life and death.
- Silver Fox: Ines seems to like it.
- The Usurper: Originally the king of smaller Khalonia, he invaded Valledo after his brother's untimely death. Given the tension between the brothers, Rodrigo always assumed that Ramiro had something to do with Reymundo's death. he wasn't right. but he wasn't exactly wrong.
- Fiery Redhead: she is one stubborn redhead.
- Happily Married: to Ramiro.
- Proud Beauty: Sort of subverted. She is devoutly religious and considers her vanity to be a sin, so she tries to hide her beauty, and especially her hair.
- Rebellious Princess: subverted. She wished to become a nun, and was originally reluctant to marry Ramiro. However, she eventually complies.
- Spirited Young Woman: used to be one as a princess.
- When She Smiles: She is mostly stern, but when she lets loose, she is very beautiful.
- Always Someone Better: with Rodrigo. He knows he would've never reached his current position of power if it weren't for the bad blood between Ramiro and Rodrigo over Raimundo's death. Therefor he is very competitive with him, and makes sure to put him in his place.
- The Dandy: his description is bordering on prissy.
- Heroic Sacrifice: dies protecting the Belmonte's, as part of his vow to protect them.