First Film (Scar) | Second Film | Midquel Film | Timon & Pumbaa | The Lion Guard | Extended Media | 2019 Film
Timon's overprotective mother.
- Deadpan Snarker: She gets her moments.Ma: Max, Timon's out there chasing metaphors! I'm gonna go look for him!
Max: ARE YOU NUTS?!
Ma: Nice to have a supportive family, isn't it?
- Jewish Mother: Especially given her smothering tendencies.
- Mama Bear: She has her moments. Notably, she is one of the few (if the only) character to get one over on Rafiki, first smacking him with his own stick, then stomping on his foot after learning his sage wisdom sent Timon running off to find a metaphor.
- My Beloved Smother: Understandable, since her husband is dead and she's the only one trying to make sure Timon fits in with society.
- Nice Girl: While she doesn't always understand her son, that does nothing to impede her love for Timon and help him try to find a place in the colony
- Significant Green-Eyed Redhead: Oddly enough, she's the only meerkat with a visible eye color other than black eyes.
- Unnamed Parent: Her real name is never touched upon.
Timon's neurotic uncle.
- AcCENT upon the Wrong SylLABle: Constantly refers to Timon as "Tee-moan".
- Cloudcuckoolander: Years of dealing with the hyenas can do that to a guy.
- The Cynic: Uncle Max is very pessimistic about life in general.
- Disappointed in You: After being mauled by the hyenas, he is upset with Timon for singing while on duty. His voice even shakes when he says that he really DID trust Timon to help with guarding the colony.
- Foil: Max is one to Scar from the original movie. Both characters are uncles of two major protagonists of the franchise (Scar for Simba and Max for Timon) who are (apparently in Max's case) high-ranking members of their respective communities and are not all that fond of their nephews. However, Scar was a power-hungry, sociopathic Evil Uncle who orchestrated Mufasa's death and blamed Simba for it so he could be king while not caring about how his rule would affect the Pridelands or the animals living there. Max, on the other hand, is an individual who cares deeply for his colony's survival and, despite being frequently infuriated by Timon's actions, deeply loves his nephew.
- In further contrast to one another, when interacting with their respective nephews, Scar puts on a Cool Uncle façade to hide how greatly he abhors Simba's existence while Max is all too vocal with how disdainful he is towards the trouble Timon causes for their colony, yet cares for Timon deep down and wishes he would just fit in with the rest of the colony.
- Grumpy Old Man: He seems to be one of the older members of Timon's meerkat colony and definitely has the attitude to boot.
- Jerkass Has a Point: His constant anger and frustration with Timon isn't without justification, as the latter's antics tend to cause a significant amount of trouble to the colony and put their survival at risk.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Doesn't want Timon's help for obvious reason, but he genuinely loves his nephew.
- Nervous Wreck: Because he and his people live in fear of hyenas and other predators attacking them (and Timon's nature to destroy tunnel systems), he's always on edge.
- Odd Name Out: His name is American, not Swahili.