- 10-Minute Retirement: Gives up her job to Ashley in "Take My Life Please" but quickly returns when Ashley proves inadequate.
- The Ace: Besides being the Te Xuan Ze, June plays guitar in her brothers' rock band, is an honor student and part of several clubs at school and seems fairly popular. She's not perfect, of course, but she's got a lot going for her.
- Action Girl
- Awesome Mc Coolname
- Badass Adorable: Those cute little fists can punch through two-hundred feet of concrete.
- Badass Bookworm: An honor student and no slouch in street smarts, either.
- Bare Your Midriff: And proud of it.
- Barrier Maiden: Implied though never outright stated. Especially in the finale, where she has to recite an oath to restore the magical Veil.
- Big Sister Instinct: Towards Ray Ray and even her older brother Dennis.
- Blessed with Suck: She gets empowered by magical forces to help combat supernatural threats—but has to remain in Orchid Bay until a successor takes her place. Since she's only 11, that'll be a while.
- Chest Insignia: Sort of; the dragonfly-esque symbol on her shirt and various clothing and armor doubles as this.
- The Chosen One
- Cute Bruiser
- Girly Bruiser
- Glowing Eyes: As evidenced in "Out of the Past", all Te Xuan Ze's can harness the natural magic of a sacred spot for a boost in power.
- I Am Not Pretty
- I Just Want to Be Normal
- It Sucks to Be the Chosen One: She has to remain in Orchid Bay until a successor takes her place. If she tries to leave the city limits, a force field prevents her from doing so. Also, she can't tell or show any of her friends or family about it either, making her sudden exits hard to explain.
- Kick Chick
- Kid Hero: Monroe mentions in "Meet The Parent" that she's the first Te Xuan Ze to attain the rank as a child.
- Leeroy Jenkins: A lot of her tactics are usually "rush in and beat up the villain".
- Locked into Strangeness: She developed a Skunk Stripe upon becoming the Te Xuan Ze.
- Magical Accessory: Her bracelet. it alerts her of magical disturbances with a chiming sound, and even lets her see the disturbance taking place. Some villains have even tried to use it against our hero, so a slight case of Clingy MacGuffin. These only happen in season 2 and 3.
- Meaningful Name: Juniper trees, especially the Chinese Juniper species, are representative of strength and athleticism.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: She does this a few times such as when she banished what she thought were evil trolls who were really tomb guardians keeping Loki on lock-down.
- Rapunzel Hair: Juniper has long black straight hair, almost reaching her waist
- Skunk Stripe: An indication of her protector status. It was originally white when it appeared revealed in "Adventures in Babysitting"; In the show's present it is a dark-pink like fuchsia (she dyes it this way).
- Wake Up, Go to School, Save the World: Juniper faces many struggles in balancing her normal and magical life, and keeping her powers a secret from her family, friends and anyone non-magical, all while saving the world from any magical evil in the vicinity.
Ray Ray Lee
Juniper's younger brother. Can also see magical creatures as well and most of the time tags along with her much to her chagrin. Voiced by Kath Soucie.
- And All I Got Was This Lousy T-Shirt: Ray Ray mentioned buying one at the end of "Monster Con" but no t-shirt with that kind of message was actually seen.
- Annoying Younger Sibling: And how.
- Be Careful What You Wish For: He frequently complains how he doesn't have any magical powers and wishes he could fight monsters too. He gets his wish in one episode due to a space time malfunction caused by time wraiths, he's made the Te Xuan Ze since June never existed in that timeline. And quickly finds out firsthand her job is not as easy as it looks.
- The Chosen One: In the timeline where Juniper Lee didn't exist, Ray Ray was the Te Xuan Ze.
- Contagious Powers: Somewhat, when the monsters that were attacking June tried to suck out her powers as she was just coming into them, Ray Ray interrupted the transfer and some of the power got implanted in him. Hence why he can see and communicate with magical creatures. Ah-Mah hints he may have gotten other magical powers too, but nothing is really shown of it.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: He may be a hyperactive child but when he gets focused, he can be quite as competent, if not more so, than June.
- Emergency Transformation: In one episode he takes a potion meant for a small giant. It winds up turning him into a dinosaur which June and Monroe don't know how to reverse. They end up having to make a homunculus body and transfer his brain into it.
- The Greatest Story Never Told: Due to some Time Wraiths, June was thrown outside the space-time continuum and thus only Ray-Ray and Dennis were the only ones born in their family with Ray Ray becoming the Te Xuan Ze. After he realize something was wrong however, he managed to save June but at the cost of the timeline fixing itself and June having no knowledge of what happened when he tried to tell her. At first he thinks he dreamed it, but then finds the photo Dennis took of him after he defeated a monster, giving him proof that it was real.
- I Just Want to Be Special: Desperately, just he's not trained in fighting or magic using. Monroe even got on him at one point for butting in a fight and putting himself in danger. After the whole alternate universe thing where he was the Te Xuan Ze, he realized he needs to at least study up on things so he can be a better asset.
- Motor Mouth: When he was younger, but he's grown out of it by the main series.
- Nightmare Fetishist
- Precocious Crush: On Lila.
- Tagalong Kid: More or less. He does have his moments though.
- In later episodes he starts to focus on ways to aid his sister in battle, so as to avoid this trope.
A Scottish dog and adviser to the Te Xuan Ze. He provides information on the magical creatures as well as assistance. Voiced by Carlos Alazraqui.
- Balloon Belly: Gets one in Magic Takes a Holiday.
- Catch-Phrase: "Oh for pity's sake".
- Deadpan Snarker
- Exposition Fairy: Provides most of the information on the monster they're dealing with.
- Large Ham: He has his moments, Dog Day Afternoon being a particular example.
- Mentor Mascot
- Non-Human Sidekick
- Overly Long Name: Monroe Connery Boyd Carlyle McGregor Scott V
- Really 700 Years Old: 600 to be exact and served at least three generations of Te Xuan Ze's.
- Talking Animal: Only to those who can hear him. To anyone else, he's just barking.
Jasmine "Ah-Mah" Lee
The former Te Xuan Ze and Juniper's grandmother. Voiced by Amy Hill.
- Action Girl: Still is.
- Birthday Hater: Both for serious and comedic reason. For the latter it's due to her rather overbearing relatives coming over and having to deal with them. For the former, it just reminds her of the time lost while doing her Te Xuan Ze duties.
- Blessed with Suck: Same deal as Juniper, but she had it rougher as the Te Xuan Ze powers skipped over her son meaning she had to stay as the magical protector even longer before June took over. A lot of the time, she's seen traveling and doing various activities like ski diving or rock climbing. June calls her out when it's revealed she can't leave Orchid Bay, but Jasmine reveals she's trying to find a loophole so Juniper can leave the city.
- Cool Old Lady
- Glowing Eyes: As evidenced in "Out of the Past", all Te Xuan Ze's can harness the natural magic of a sacred spot for a boost in power. Jasmine does this to try and beat Kai Yee.
- I Was Quite a Looker: In an episode where her magical energy was absorbed away, it also reduced her age, revealing what she looked like as a younger adult.
- Old Master: Was the previous chosen one for over sixty years - two tenures - and is now Passing the Torch to her granddaughter.
- Never Mess with Granny: She can still hold her own despite her age.
- Retired Badass: Still a badass, but is just too old for the job, due to the role skipping her son Michael and having to do it longer than any Te Xuan Ze before.
- Prim and Proper Bun
- Skunk Stripe: When Jasmine starts de-aging after a troll tries to siphon her magical energy, her white stripe is shown to a bright lilac. We are never given reason on why Jasmine's is different from those of June and other Te Xuan Ze.
A young girl Sasquatch that goes to live among humans when she see there's no use for her to live with her kind. June uses a spell to make her look human and she joins Juniper's inner circle in fighting off magical threats. She's an exception to the magical rule as she's not a magical creature so regular people can see her. Though she's in tune enough that she can see and interact with other magical creatures. Voiced by Tara Strong.
- Badass Adorable: Can fight off giant trolls and viking warrior women with her bare hands.
- Bigfoot, Sasquatch and Yeti: The second out of those three.
- Chuck Cunningham Syndrome: After the Sleep Over episode, she just vanishes without a trace. She does reappear in the final episode however.
- Cute Bruiser
- Cute Monster Girl: Especially after she loses the excess fur.
- Granola Girl: Somewhat due to her life of living in the woods.
- I Just Want to Be Normal
- Instant Expert: She a very fast learner.
- Only Sane Woman: Among her kind.
- Pinocchio Syndrome
- Sixth Ranger
- Speaks Fluent Animal: Comes with being a part creature herself.
- Secret Keeper: The only one outside of anyone in the Lee family who gets to know about June's secret.
June's older brother. Initially he had no clue of the magical on-goings of his house and would always be mind wiped if he stumbled upon such. However he became immune to the memory dust and was eventually let in on June's Te Xuan Ze duties, becoming an asset to her. Is said to be quite skilled in magic as his main hobby is LARP-ing and the fake magic used for it is actually based off real ones. Voiced by Alexander Polinsky.
- Achievements in Ignorance/Instant Expert: Due to already being a fan of magic via LARP-ing.
- Acquired Poison Immunity: They may have used amnesia dust on him one too many times.
- Aloof Older Brother: Is a bit of a jerk in the first two seasons, but drops it once he finds out June's secret.
- Jerkass: At first.
- Nobody Loves the Bassist: Juniper and her brothers have a band named "Short Angry Freuds". She told her big brother Dennis nobody would pay attention to him because he's the bassist.
- Secret Keeper
- Seventh Ranger
- Tagalong Kid: Dennis' role in the timeline where Juniper didn't exist and Ray Ray was the Te Xuan Ze. The irony of course is that he's much older than Ray Ray is.
Juniper's long time best friend. Voiced by Colleen O'Shaughnessey.
- Ambiguously Jewish: It's only until her sister has a Bat Mitzvah that it's stated officially.
- Crazy-Prepared: Seems to have a precaution for any emergencies even meteors
- The Ditz: Somewhat, but at the end she does start to wise up when she visit June's house in the finale. The series ends with her finding a book on magical creatures and her spotting Juniper leaping from building to building.
- Genki Girl: She can be pretty hyper at times.
- Girlish Pigtails
- Plucky Girl
Juniper's cynical Goth friend. Voiced by Candi Milo.
- Deadpan Snarker/The Snark Knight
- Bilingual Bonus: You wouldn't tell from first sight but she's Hispanic.
- Goth: Of the Gloomy Goth variety.
- Hidden Depths: She complains about a lot of the activities they do, but when she's given the chance to direct a play, she proves she has the skills for it. In a later episode, a movie short she directed actually won a film contest.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: She can be pretty rough but she does care for her friends.
- Valley Girl: Ophelia would occasionally slip into valley girl mode when excited over a girly interest, such as boy bands. In fact this is one of her greatest fears, as when June visits her dream she's speaking in nothing but this. Tipping June off that Ophelia's in a nightmare.
June's friend who tries to act like a wannabe homeboy. Voiced by Tara Strong.
- Cool Loser
- Crazy-Prepared: At least in the episode where he has to fill in for June as an actor. He shows that he has every costume available underneath the previous.
- Eccentric Millionaire: He and his parents are actually quite wealthy. Though in a subversion of the usual trope, he is actually a pretty nice guy and never flaunts his money.
- Expy: Of Dil Pickles from All Grown Up!, right down to have the exact same voice and also being an eccentric hat-wearing Cloud Cuckoo Lander.
- Funny Afro: Has one underneath the cap, he can't put his hat back on without someone to help him.
- Hidden Depths: He shows he's a pretty decent actor. Even Ophelia, who doubted he had any acting ability and shafted him with a small role of village idiot (which he was given without even getting the chance to audition by the previous director), was surprised when she was forced to give him the lead role after June was busy with other matters.
- Nice Hat: A blue beanie.
- Plucky Comic Relief
- Pretty Fly for a White Guy
- Two Girls and a Guy: He's the only male friend in June's group. (Marcus doesn't count as he's seen much more rarely). Always tags along with the girls, even to their slumber parties.
Juniper's love interest. Voiced by Phil La Marr.
- Dreadlock Rasta: Though just a hairstyle, hes a pretty easy going guy.
- Everyone Can See It: June tries to downplay her like of him. But she's not fooling anyone.
- Nice Guy: Everyone seems to like him and even the school mean girl Melissa O'Malley doesn't have a beef with him.
- Token Minority Couple: He's black and June's Asian, do the math. They don't really hook up in the show proper but it's obvious they like each other and they do confess this like to each other in the second season.
A ancient mummy who was reanimated by a cult seeking power. However it turns out that he was really just a harmless business man using supernatural forces and underpaid workers for his products. Voiced by Jeff Bennett.
- Con Man: In his second appearance he raises hysteria over "Bat Otters" so people will buy his protection gear.
- Harmless Villain: He's no fighter and both of the plots shown are really just him trying to run a business. It's his underhanded means that make him a concern.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: His last appearance had him eaten by said bat otter he was hiding.
- Large Ham: He speaks and acts like a Texas tycoon.
- Nice Hat
- Punny Name: Skeeter Khommen Ghetit note .
The Norse God of Mischief. Voiced by Jeff Bennett.
- Abusive Parents: Yeah he's a father, not a very good one though.
- Art Evolution: Gained pupils in his second appearance.
- Cool and Unusual Punishment: After he's defeated the first time, Thor invites him to a party so he can chill out. Loki remains grumpy till Thor reminds him it's the party or a rather painful sounding dimension. Loki picks the former.
- I Lied: Though he's pretty upfront about it. One example:Juniper: (After playing in his faux game show, picking a door and getting attacked by a monster) But you said I won!Loki: HELLO! Master of lies! How many times do I have to say it?!
- Jerkass Gods
- Public-Domain Character
- Sibling Yin-Yang: With Thor of course.
- Trickster Archetype: A more sinister version.
- The Unfavorite: He mentions that his mother liked Thor best.
Stephen the Sandman
A sandman who went rogue and tries to take over the human world. Voiced by Daran Norris.
- Affably Evil
- Be Careful What You Wish For: He tries to enter the human world during his first appearance. By the time of his second appearance, he's already in the human world but things went so wrong for him afterwards that he wants to return to the dream world.
- Dirty Coward
- One-Winged Angel: He transforms into a pretty muscular build. Subverted though as he doesn't fight June, opting to run away.
- Tom the Dark Lord: He's a would-be world-conqueror and is name is simply Stephen. (But he doesn't like to be called "Steve".)
- Your Worst Nightmare: Tries this on Juniper—and fails.
A demon witch who was banished by an ancient Te Xuan Ze many centuries ago. Some monsters released her out of boredom and she resumed her conquest of the human world. Voiced by Susan Silo.
- And Your Little Dog, Too!: She says this at the end of her first appearance. Ironic because Monroe's the same dog who helped defeat her 500 years ago.Auntie Roon: "I'll get you Te Xuan Ze! And your little dog too!"
- Bad Boss: Hates bad news and doesn't take it well if you give her any.
- I Was Quite a Looker: She was much more fit during the ancient times. Post banishment, she became pudgy and needs her flying fish to get around.
- Final Boss: She's the last villain faced in the show.
- Wicked Witch: To the tee.
Short for "Humans for the Abolishment of Magic" or "Humans Against Magic". A group of humans who, for some reason, hate magic and seek to destroy it and any monsters in their way. They wear specialized suits that allow them to see magical creatures and wield tools to fight or capture monsters.
- Fantastic Racism: They hate anything magic and want to destroy it. Their opinion of Te Xuan Ze is even worse.
- Fun with Acronyms
- Power Fist: The leader of H.A.M. has a mechanical one.
- Van Helsing Hate Crime: Oh yeah.
A female demon out to free her banished father. Voiced by Jessica Walter.
- Amazingly Embarrassing Parents: Her father, Cordoth, who was once a fearful demon back then. However he let himself go during his banishment and is now quite lazy, chubby, and a Big Eater who is always thinking about food.
- Beehive Hairdo
- Cloning Blues: Her first scheme involved creating a duplicate of June. When her assistant flubbed it the first time, she had to make clones of Roger, Jody and Ophelia to lure her in.
- Daddy's Little Villain
- Mirror Match: How she planned to combat June the first time by using a evil duplicate of her.
- No Name Given: Her real name is never spoken, she's only referred to as "boss" or "mistress" by her lackeys and "Cordoth's daughter" by June and company. She refers to herself as Demoness in her first appearance and the credits for both of her appearances list her as such.
- Trapped in TV Land: Movie Land to be exact where she was banished after her first defeat.
The villain of Ray Ray's favorite comic superhero, Boomfist. He's accidentally released when a spell was cast over the comic book and seeks to take over the real world. Voiced by S. Scott Bullock.
A powerful Te Xuan Ze that went bad when he tried to take control of the magical world. Voiced by James Sie.
- The Ace: Said to be the most powerful Te Xuan Ze of his time. He certainly has the skills to back it up. Least till June starts improvising, then he can barely keep up with her.
- Evil Counterpart: A potential one to June. Another reason why Ah-Mah didn't want Juniper to face him.
- Evil Is Not a Toy: He was released from imprisonment by people wanting to control him for their own purposes. Kai Yee wasted no time in showing them it wasn't a good idea.
- Fallen Hero
- Knight of Cerebus: Compared to most villains (especially the one-shot ones), he was taken rather surprisingly seriously.
- Not So Different: With June, according to her grandmother.
- Sealed Evil in a Can: He was turned into a statue and given to Ah-Mah to be looked after.
- Shell-Shocked Veteran: Implied to be the reason for his Start of Darkness; he was Te Xuan Ze during a very dark time, and rebelled in an attept to make things better.
- The Paragon Always Rebels
- We Can Rule Together: Offers it to June in a last gambit to save himself. Doesn't work.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: He wants to control all magic so he will be capable of making things better so the world won't need a Te Xuan Ze anymore.
A former magical elder who was banished after trying to take over the world. Voiced by Daran Norris.
- Aborted Arc: Just like Kai Yee, he too was set up to be a recurring villain only for the show to be cancelled before he could make anymore appearances.
- French Jerk: With a name like Jean-Claude, what do you expect?
- Genre Savvy: He explicitly mentions he is aware that June is the hero and he is the villain.
- Girl Posse: Has two female demons that follow him around.
- I Meant to Do That: Every time one of his female followers points out something that's gone wrong in his plan. He counters it was always a part of his plan. Riiiight.
- Small Name, Big Ego: Talks a big game but in truth he's just a cowardly show off.
- The Unfought: June is too busy undoing his spell to deal with him and when she finally succeeds, he runs off.
A demoness who takes the form of an old man zookeeper. She kidnaps monsters off the streets then turns them into animals so she can feed off their magical energy and keep her youthful looks. Voiced by Kath Soucie.
- Brain Bleach: When she started to turn back to her true form, she's naked and wrinkly.
- The Jailer: In order to stay young, she had to drain the energy from other magical beings, so she kidnapped them and turned them into animals before imprisoning them in the Orchid Bay Zoo. (June herself became a victim while trying to rescue them; a mistake on Gigi's part, as is often the case with this Trope.)
- Laser-Guided Karma: Thrown into a zoo cell just as she did her victims. And for added irony, mistaken for a lemur (of which she turned Juniper into) by the onlookers.
- No Ontological Inertia: Her captured animals are her energy source. Once they leave the zoo, she quickly loses her powers.
- Vain Sorceress: Indeed, her true form is a little imp-like demon.
A transfer student who comes to June's school and quickly starts wooing her. That is till its revealed he Loki's son who was sent to free him of his prison by switching places with June. Voiced by Dee Bradley Baker.
- Half-Human Hybrid: A demigod.
- HeelFace Turn/Becoming the Mask: Actually does start to care about June in his effort to lure her to Loki.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Trapped himself and father in the void to save June.
- Was It All a Lie?: What June asks him when she finds out who he is.
Mitch the Enchanted Rhinoceros
A caretaker of the Easter bunnies and chickens. He went rogue after tiring of looking after them and sought to take over the Easter holiday. Voiced by Dee Bradley Baker.
- False Flag Operation: His plan involved getting the chickens to revolt against the bunnies. Then getting both sides to go to war (which was helped when both sides had William and Monroe as their generals who were bickering at the time). While it technically did succeed, both sides are still kids and pretty much resorted to slap fighting one another in their "war" until their mothers calmed them down.
- Fluffy the Terrible
- Magical Nanny: What his job essentially boiled down to.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Thinks that, instead of candy, kids should get useful things like batteries and socks on Easter. He puts it to the test at the end of the ep with predictable results.
A good 4th-degree sorceress who passes by Orchid Bay one day while training. Voiced by Kath Soucie.
- Always Someone Better: To June as she can pretty much vaporize any monsters on the spot (though she wasn't trying to upstage her). However she lacks June's fighting prowess and understanding of monsters in the human realm. The one day on the job as Te Xuan Ze she was instantly overwhelmed.
- Cute Witch
- Perpetual Smiler: She occasionally frowns but it never lasts more then a few seconds.
- Pink Means Feminine: Nearly everything about her, from her clothes to her spells, just screams this.
- Plucky Girl: Can rival Jody for this position.
A comic book superhero that's a favorite of Ray Ray's. Was released from his comic books to combat Wrongness. Voiced by Dee Bradley Baker.
- Broken Aesop: Parodied.
- Heroic Sacrifice: In his first appearance he did this to stop Wrongness.
- '90s Anti-Hero: Indeed, his solution to everything is pretty much violence.
- Power Fist: His hands detach. It's in the name.
- Top-Heavy Guy
The Norse God of Thunder. Voiced by S. Scott Bullock.
- Drop the Hammer: Uh yeah.
- Girl Posse: Gains a trio of female assistant called the "Hammer-rettes" in his second appearance. They don't think much of him though.
- Large Ham: Likes to put on the "almighty" spiel just for kicks.
- No Kill Like Overkill: His second appearance had him tracking a Vindolf Hobgoblin to June's school and planning to vaporize the building just to kill the thing. The dope never considered y'know, waiting till the kids were gone to do it. June has to talk him into letting her flush the creature out before he takes action.
- Public-Domain Character
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Treats June like an old friend and an all around nice guy if not a little lackadaisical.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: With Loki.
- Surfer Dude: How he usually talks and acts.
Monroe's retired father. Voiced by Martin Jarvis.
- Abusive Parents: Is always chiding Monroe over his weight and tactics as June's adviser.
- Aww, Look! They Really Do Love Each Other: He may be a jerk but he does love his son even if he won't admit it.
- Can't Stay Normal: He's suppose to be retired but can't help but get back into the thrill of thing if he can.
- Leeroy Jenkins: Not really one for strategy and it got him in trouble in his first appearance.
- Noodle Incident: How he got kicked out of Florida following Meet The Parent.
- Scotireland: Even moreso then Monroe since he dresses the part.
- Why Couldn't You Be Different?: Wishes Monroe was more "hands on" like he was during his tenure.