Character Page Navigation:
- Erebonia Arc Characters
- Class VII
- Giliath Osborne
- Thors Military Academy
The main setting of Cold Steel III, Thors Second Branch School is, at its name implies, a 2nd branch of Thors Military Academy founded by Prince Olivert and located in Reeves. It was created after the civil war with the intention of accepting students from the new provinces, as well as drop-outs from other schools.
It is headed by former Noble Alliance commander Aurelia Le Guin, whilst Michael of the Railway Military Police serves as Chief Instructor. Professor G. Schmidt also serves as a special adviser. As the main campus's Class VII was replaced with a traditional Class VI, it features a new Class VII, tasked with Special Affairs and taught by Rean Schwarzer, Class VIII, tasked with Battle Tactics and taught by Randolph Orlando, and Class IX, tasked with Accounting and Statistics and taught by Towa Herschel.
Warning: spoilers relating to events/reveals that happen during the first two games shall be left unmarked. Certain spoilers relating to the third game however shall remain tagged.
As a whole:
- Blue Is Heroic: In contrast to students from the original Thors who now wear red as part of the uniform's general color scheme the students of Thors II instead wear blue.
- Cool Train: The Derfflinger which consists of six cars.
- Pink Girl, Blue Boy: Originally with the Panzer-Soldats as boys piloted the Blue Drakkhen and girls piloted a Pink Drakkhen during training sessions. This later gets thrown out the window with the arrival of the Hector, Kestrel, and later the Goliath Noa.
- Reassigned to Antarctica: The students who have enrolled at this academy are those who weren't able to enter the main branch - possibly because the higher-ups didn't want them on the same campus as the crown prince for a variety of reasons. Aurelia claims that it's the same for the teachers as well.
- Shipper on Deck: Nearly the entire student body ships Rean with Towa.
Rean Schwarzer (Instructor)
Juna CrawfordSee here.
Kurt VanderSee here.
Altina OrionSee here.
Ash CarbideSee here.
Musse EgretSee here.
Randolph Orlando (Instructor)
- Voiced by: Shin-ichiro Miki (Japanese), Jonah Scott (English)
See Class VII
- Voiced by: Ayana Taketatsu (Japanese)
A trustworthy noble girl from the Nortia Province. She joins the tennis club with Juna and Louise and specializes in the Schleiden-style spearmanship.
- Aloof Dark-Haired Girl: She has long blue hair and is generally very composed.
- Ambiguously Gay: During Chapter 2, she comments that Alisa is more beautiful than Angelica described, and it's implied she may have had "experience" with Angelica in the past.
- Blade on a Stick: Her weapon of choice.
- Blue Blood: The Schleiden family is a pretty well-known noble family, with their spearmanship being almost as famous as the swordsmanship of the Vander and Arseid familes.
- Expy: Can count as one of Laura. She's a young blue-haired noblewoman from a family renowned for their martial arts. In Jessica's case, her family is renowned for their spearmanship.
- Friendly Rivalry: Seems to have one with Juna in the tennis club.
- Promoted to Playable: Although it's just for a short moment, you actually get to control Jessica in sidequest against Rean. Fortunately enough for the players, he actually holds back a lot as Jessica doesn't have any S-Crafts, items, Brave Orders, or other tools that could be useful, save for her artes and crafts. He will still use artes on you, however. She's playable again in Cold Steel IV and she's linked up with Wayne who is also a case of this trope. Rean makes her and Wayne fight against Laura and Duvalie who thankfully also hold back against them.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: She's the blue to Wayne's red due to her more refined fighting style and her crafts having ice properties.
- Voiced by: Ryoko Shiraishi (Japanese)
A tomboyish girl from the Lemar Province. She joins the swimming club with Altina, Wayne, and Stark and uses a large assault rifle.
- Ace Pilot: Can pilot the Courageous II just fine even under heavy fire in Cold Steel IV. She does have experience piloting ships when she was still part of the sea jaegers.
- Ambiguously Brown: Her skin is noticeably darker than the other students.
- Affectionate Nickname: Juna and Maya call her "Leo-nee."
- Cool Big Sis: She tries to be this to her fellow students, and Juna and Maya actually do seem to think of her as one.
- Guest-Star Party Member: Ends up racing against Shirley of all people in a swimming competition in Cold Steel IV.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: She has green hair.
- Voiced by: Saori Goto (Japanese)
A quiet girl from the Lemar Province. She joins the tea ceremony club with Musse and Kairi and uses a sniper rifle.
- Aloof Dark-Haired Girl: She has short black hair and doesn't emote much.
- Big Eater: She can eat a lot of food that Rean sometimes is taken aback at her.
- But Not Too Foreign: Her mother was of Eastern descent, hence her knowledge and interest in Musse's tea ceremony club.
- Calling the Old Man Out: When confronting her father in a bar in Raquel, he tries to mollify her by saying he hasn't sold any of her mother's things. She becomes PISSED and makes it clear that he should never even think about the idea.
- Child of Two Worlds: Her father is Erebonian and her mother is from Calvard.
- Cold Sniper: She uses a sniper rifle and doesn't show much emotion whether or not she's using it.
- Daddy Issues: She does not have a very high opinion of her father.
- Missing Mom: Hers died a few years ago.
- Sins of Our Fathers: Her dad was working for one of the men who instigated the Hamel Incident. He then crossed the Despair Event Horizon for it and has been drinking since.
- Yaoi Fangirl: Ends up becoming one after borrowing a book from Musse and reading it quickly.
- Voiced by: Daisuke Hirakawa (Japanese)
A boy from Heimdallr. He joins the swimming club with Altina, Leonora, and Stark and uses a sword.
- The Comically Serious
- Flaming Sword: One of his crafts has him use his sword on fire to slash his enemies.
- Guest-Star Party Member: Is playable for one mini-game where he has to beat Rean in swimming.
- Military Brat: His father is a soldier who was stationed at Garrelia Fortress who thankfully managed to survive its destruction. Emulating his father played a part in Wayne's decision to join Thors.
- Promoted to Playable: Becomes a playable character in Cold Steel IV, linked alongside Jessica for one fight against Laura and Duvalie.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: He's the red impulsive guy to Jessica's cooler approach girl especially with his crafts having fire properties.
- Two First Names
- Voiced by: Daisuke Matsubara (Japanese)
An energetic yet "unfortunate" boy from Grenvill City. He joins the chess club with Kurt and uses a sniper rifle.
- Book Dumb: Gets the lowest scores out of the entire Branch Campus during midterms and ended up on 88th place.
- Butt-Monkey: He doesn't seem to have very good luck.
- Casanova Wannabe: His hobbies are collecting gravure pictures and trying to pick up girls, but he seems far from popular.
- Friendly Sniper: He uses a sniper rifle and seems pretty personable.
- Ship Tease: Surprisingly enough, he ends up having some moments with Ada in Cold Steel IV.
- Smart People Play Chess: Not so much, as he's in the chess club and had lowest exam scores of the Branch School.
- Voiced by: Shinnosuke Tachibana (Japanese)
A boy from the Sutherland Province obsessed with the outdoors. He joins the cooking club with Tita and Sandy and uses a trident.
- Cordon Bleugh Chef: He loves cooking with insects and monster parts. His dishes tend to smell and taste strongly, but Rean notes that they leave a pleasant aftertaste.
- Good Eyes, Evil Eyes: Played with: his eyes are pretty creepy, and he can sometimes take others aback, but he's definitely a good guy.
- Nature Lover: He's very much in love with all things in nature and has no problems camping outside.
- Prongs of Poseidon: His weapon is a trident, though it looks a little more like a pitchfork.
- Voiced by: Hiroshi Isobe (Japanese)
A dependable boy from the mining town of Aragon in the Lemar Province. He joins the music club with Valerie and Pablo and uses a hand cannon.
Towa Herschel (Instructor)
See Class VII
A girl from Remiferia who does things at her own pace. She joins the tennis club with Juna and Jessica and uses an orbal gun.
- Blind Mistake: The one time she doesn't have her glasses, she mistook Rean for Randy.
- The Ditz: Without her glasses, she can be quite the ditz as shown at the trope above.
- Friend to All Children: In Cold Steel IV, she's first seen in the game playing with Juna's siblings at Crossbell.
- Meganeko: Usually wears one.
- Yaoi Fangirl: Ends up becoming one due to Tatiana's influence after she borrowed her book.
- Voiced by: Yukana (Japanese)
A shy girl from the Kreuzen Province. She joins the literature club with Ash and uses an orbal staff.
- Ship Tease: Ends up getting teased with Ash in Cold Steel IV.
- Shrinking Violet: She doesn't seem to have a lot of confidence, so naturally, having Ash as the only other club member was pretty scary for her.
- Yaoi Fangirl: Hinted with her conversation with Musse about a certain book genre. It's also confirmed in a side quest and she then starts spreading it out to her fellow female schoolmates.
- Voiced by: Kotori Koiwai
A friendly girl from Alster Village. She joins the cooking club with Tita and Freddy and uses an orbal gun.
- Ascended Fangirl: Starts off as a fan of Class VII for helping out her hometown from jaeger drop outs and ends up becoming a student for one of them.
- Continuity Nod: She thanks Rean for helping out her hometown Alster during the civil war as depicted in the 2nd drama CD.
- Country Mouse: Has the demeanor of one.
- Voiced by: Kanae Ito (Japanese)
A somewhat aloof girl from North Ambria. She joins the music club with Gustav and Pablo and uses an orbal gun.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Over her time at Thors II, she ends up smiling a bit more. Leonora's happy for her though she will deny it.
- Doomed Hometown: She's from North Ambria.
- Hospital Hottie: Disguises herself as one of the nurses at Saint Ursula in Cold Steel IV.
- The Stoic: She's doesn't tend to be one for idle conversation.
- Sins of Our Fathers: Her lineage goes back all the way from the grand duke who fled from North Ambria when the Salt Pale Incident happened. She's been called as part of the "house of devils" ever since.
- Yuri Fan: Downplayed but in a conversation with Tatiana, she did like the book she borrowed from Tatiana but she would have preferred it covering "friendships between girls", leading Tatiana to think that Valerie is this trope.
A shy boy from the Lemar Province. He joins the tea ceremony club with Musse and Maya and uses an orbal staff.
- Blue Blood: The son of a Baron.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: Mild example and one never really brought up in-game, but his appearance is effeminate enough that he could likely pass for a girl if one puts him in a skirt.
- Guest-Star Party Member: He's only playable for one sidequest where he has to serve Eastern tea to Rean and he needs guidance.
- Spot of Tea: Is part of the eastern tea club alongside Musse and Maya.
- Testosterone Poisoning: Invoked and played for laughs as his main focus involves trying to prove himself to be manly.
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: Part of his obsessision with masculinity comes from his desire to emulate his father.
- Voiced by: Takuya Sato (Japanese)
A boy from Jurai. He joins the swimming club with Altina, Leonora, and Wayne and uses a gun.
- Connected All Along: It's revealed that he knows Crow as both are from Jurai. The two finally get to meet again in Cold Steel IV.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Calls out his childhood friend Crow in Cold Steel IV when Crow talks about his borrowed time in the living.
- Voiced by: Masakazu Morita (Japanese)
A boy from the Kreuzen Province. He joins the music club with Valery and Gustav and uses a gun.
- Fiery Redhead: He's the most hot blooded between him, Valery, and Gustav.
- Funetik Aksent: Just like Becky, his dialogue has Scottish accent.
- Rail Enthusiast: Possibly his most defining characteristic. He's a huge fans of trains and goes into a spasm of ecstasy upon seeing the campus's special armored train, the Derfflinger, for the first time. He tries to start a train club at school, but has trouble finding members. He's eventually shot down by Principal Le Guin, who tells him that he can't start a train club because that won't help to grow because he already knows all about trains.
Aurelia Le Guin (Principal)
See The Noble Alliance.
Michael Irving (Chief Instructor)
A major in the Railway Military Police serving as the Chief Instructor at Thors Second Branch School. It's revealed that both he and Claire Rieveldt are cousins.
- Aloof Big Brother: He and Claire are cousins, with Claire even referring to him as "Nii-san" in the Japanese script. He seems pretty cold with her during their interactions, and she seems to think he hates her, but Rean can see that he's just worried about her.
- Cold Sniper: His main weapon in Cold Steel IV.
- FaceHeel Turn: Sides with Thors Main School and fights against his former students in Cold Steel IV. It doesn't last long and sides back with the heroes after his defeat at Einhell Fortress Level X.
- The Gunslinger: Just like Claire, he also uses a standard military gun.
- Majorly Awesome: His official rank.
- My Country, Right or Wrong: Thankfully subverted Despite every other Osborne loyalist taking his side, including the First Branch Thor's students, and everyone else in the RMP including Claire, Michael remains with the rest of the Second Branch to support Rean and Class VII when they decide to oppose him.
- Nice Hat: Wears a nice beret.
- The Rival: He joined the RMP at the same time as Claire, and he considers her to be his rival at heart. In reality, he's really just concerned with her.
- Shut Up, Hannibal!: Makes George shut up by making him eat his rockets after his combat shell assaults Towa.
- Sins of Our Fathers: His father ordered Claire's parents and little brother dead by making it look like an accident. He's then taken his mother's surname and tries to take care of Claire in his own way.
Professor G. Schmidt (Special Advisor)
See Other Characters.