This is the character page for The Legend of Dark Witch 2. As usual, beware of spoilers.
Tropes specific to the first Dark Witch should be placed here.
- Voice Actress: Karin YabikuSkills: Liner Shot, Comet, PunishmentRevenge Magic: Hyper Dark Arm
A goddess in charge of maintaining the balance of magic, Zizou investigates Germa's suspicious actions. She is the final boss of Sola's story. Her first form is "weak" to Overhelm, her true form has no weakness.
- All Your Powers Combined: By the end of the game. Once again pulls this in her boss fight.
- Ambidextrous Sprite: The white half of her hair almost never faces the camera.
- Bare Your Midriff: Her uniform.
- Dark Is Not Evil: She is a dark witch, but she's out to save the world.
- Dresses the Same: Averted in this game. Except in Sola's story, where she copies Franzer's clothes.
- In the Hood: Wears a hood in the opening.
- Last Chance Hit Point: A villainous example. When her lifebar is emptied, invincibility kicks in and she uses each of the second set of bosses' Revenge Magics. The player has to survive all four before they can land the final hit.
- Multicolored Hair: Black and white.
- Peek-a-Bangs: As seen in the picture.
- Physical God: She is a goddess in charge of maintaining the balance of magic.
- Scarf Of Asskicking: In her Episode 2 outfit.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Is still referred to as Zizoo a couple of times.
- Super Speed: Both Dash (where she quickly zips across the screen) and Express (which raises her walking speed to ridiculous levels).
- Took a Level in Jerkass: Zizou spends a lot more time talking down to humans in this game compared to the first. Sola won't stand for it.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Wears Grade A black stockings.
- Voice Actress: Arisa NotoSkills: Drop Bomb, Dynamo Plasma, CirclecronRevenge Magic: ChurroScramble
Sola is the daughter of two Ich researchers. She returns home in search of her parents.
- Cool Pet: Churros, a flying yellow ball...thing.
- Double Jump: With Fly, she can have a double, triple, or even quadruple jump.
- Flat-Earth Atheist: The game flip-flops on this. She tells Pelusa that there are no gods on this world, but acknowledges Zizou as a god...before immediately renouncing her.
- Generation Xerox: Her hair is a combination of her parents' hair.
- Having a Blast: Her default weapon, Drop Bomb. Its explosions linger for a second or two.
- Multicolored Hair: Two very different shades of blue.
- Promoted to Playable: In Episode 2.
- Rage Against the Heavens: Gets into a fight with Zizou due to the latter's condescending attitude toward humans.
- Reverse Shrapnel: Sola still has access to her Circlecron skill from the first game, but it has to be purchased from Papelne first.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Is called both Sola and Sora. Interestingly, Sola is indeed the official romanization.
- Voice Actress: NoneSkills: Punishment, Sword DriveRevenge Magic: Princess Strike
Riva is the princess of Rasil. She will be playable in the Steam version of the game.
- Bonus Feature Failure: She is playable and got a full set of Enforcement Gauge, but she is not voiced, and she does not have any story and After Talk.
- Voice Actress: Minori ToyonagaSkill: High Power BeamRevenge Magic: Beam de DoooonWeakness: Dia Missile
A very ill-tempered researcher. She wields a staff and her stage is Physics Laboratory.
- Badass Bookworm: Is a researcher of Math and Science.
- Frickin' Laser Beams: High Power Beam and Beam de Doooon.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: The vast majority of her lines are angry shouting.
- Idiot Hair: Still very prominent among the cast, even with each boss being designed by a different artist.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: She's not particularly villainous, but she is one of the game's bosses.
- Vocal Dissonance: Invoked; she accuses Zizou of believing that her voice doesn't match her size.
- Voice Actress: Akina KanazawaSkill: Boing BoingRevenge Magic: Final ShotWeakness: Lord Attack
A calm, military-type researcher. She wields an umbrella and her stage is Japonesque Night.
- Anime Hair: Instead of Idiot Hair, she has a really long strand of hair that comes from the crown of her head.
- Attack Reflector: The umbrella is capable of repelling shots until it is shredded by Lord Attack.
- Cherry Blossoms: The background of her boss arena.
- Noodle Incident: She apparently got into a "little fight" with Pelusa at some point.
- Parasol of Pain: Wields a giant umbrella.
- Parasol Parachute: She jumps into the air, throws Boing Boings, then uses her umbrella in this manner.
- Rapunzel Hair: Her hair nearly touches her feet.
- Throw Down the Bomblet: Her "Happiness Mines."
- Voice Actress: Yuuki TedokonSkill: Dia MissileRevenge Magic: Dia MissileWeakness: Overhelm
A ditsy Teen Genius, returning from the first Legend of Dark Witch. Her stage is Saint Ciro.
- Badass Bookworm: Badass, yet Cute Bookworm.
- Call-Back: One of her attacks sees her summon the water pillars from her stage in the first game.
- The Ditz: If it wasn't obvious in the first game, it is made abundantly clear here.
- Homing Projectile: Dia Missile, in the sense that the attack surrounds the target and then converges on them.
- Meganekko: Gains glasses in Episode 2.
- Mythology Gag, with a hint of Late-Arrival Spoiler: One of Klinsy's sprites on the Episode 2 website depicts her encased in ice. This is how she reacts to Divide Ice in the original game.
- Playing with Fire: One of her standard attacksis summoning fireballs that curve toward the player.
- Recurring Boss: Shows up as a standard boss in both games.
- Teen Genius: Works for Ich despite being around the same age as Sola.
- Voice Actress: Yuika TakahashiSkill: OverhelmRevenge Magic: OverhelmWeakness: Boing Boing
The stern, yet curious, leader of Ich. She uses alchemy and her thrusters in battle, and her stage is Maya Caves.
- Death from Above: Two attacks, one where she divebombs the player and another where she tosses explosives.
- Deflector Shield: Overhelm.
- Dishing Out Dirt: She can summon pillars that converge on the player character.
- Flight: Her legs and the back of her "hair" contain thrusters that she uses to fly forward like an airplane.
- Friendly Enemy: With Pelusa, who serves the nation of Rasil and its princess Riva. Their conversion ends with them playfully pretending to dislike each other.
- Gender-Blender Name: Herbert?
- Odd Name Out: She the only one of the original eight that is not explicitly named a researcher in her boss subtitle. This is, however, an English translation quirk; she is indeed the "Alchemy Researcher" in the Japanese version.
- Rapunzel Hair: Though using the term "hair" loosely.
- Robot Girl: Though she refers to herself as a human on at least one instance.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Her name could be interpreted as Halbert, which is an alternate spelling of Halberd.
- Unusual Ears: Has drills in place of ears.
- Voice Actress: Usagi TsukimiyaSkill: Dark MatterRevenge Magic: Area GravityWeakness: Illusion Shot
An eccentric researcher. She fights with her wrist-mounted controller, and her stage is Pasta Sandland.
- Aerith and Bob: Mari is a relatively normal name compared to most of the cast.
- The Alcoholic: According to her design page, she was designed to be a "drunk scientist." This would make her something of a Drunken Master.
- Cat Smile: Has one at all times.
- Cloudcuckoolander: A malicious example. Barely anything that she says or does makes sense.
- Evil Laugh: "Unya nya ha ha hah!"
- Eyes Always Shut: There has yet to be an official image of Mari with both eyes open.
- Gravity Master: Her primary method of attacking is using gravity to push the player into spikes. Her Revenge Magic alters the trajectory of the players' shots.
- The Klutz: One of her attacks is running toward the player, tripping, and catching a face full of sand.
- Labcoat of Science and Medicine: She sports one.
- Mad Scientist: Said verbatim in her character description on the website.
- Multicolored Hair: Black with blue highlights.
- My Rules Are Not Your Rules: On Lunatic, her Revenge Gauge immediately fills up and she follows by activating Area Gravity.
- Power Dyes Your Hair: Her hair turns purple when she takes a drink.
- Unrealistic Black Hole: Dark Matter.
- Voice Actress: Naoko YasudaSkill: Time DivisionRevenge Magic: Time DivisionWeakness: Dark Matter
A fashionable researcher. She wields a giant heated axe and her stage is Myrant Street.
- An Axe to Grind: Her Weapon of Choice.
- Cool Big Sis: Is intended to be one of these, according to the Episode 2 website.
- Dub Name Change: Time Division is "Timing Half" in the Japanese version.
- Hair Decorations: Wears two hair clips.
- An Ice Person: Can use her axe to send ice at the player.
- Playing with Fire: Can use her axe to send fire at the player.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Yarken? Yaken? The latter ends up being used on her artwork page.
- Spin Attack: Rolls toward the player using her axe.
- Time Master: Time Division slows down time.
- Voice Actress: Yuika TakahashiSkill: Illusion ShotRevenge Magic: Illusion Shot!Weakness: High Power Beam
An aloof researcher. She wields a floating orb and her stage is Santamaria Manor.
- Bandage Babe: Appears to be going for a mummy motif.
- Bokukko: She speaks using male pronouns.
- Gratuitous Japanese: In a strange same-language example, she is the only character to have pure Japanese weapon names in the Japanese version.note The other characters' weapons are in English and rendered through katakana, while their Revenge Magics are flat-out in English.
- Master of Illusion: Her fighting style. She can create false versions of both herself and her weapon.
- Mind over Matter: It's safe to assume that she is capable of some level of telekinesis; she is the Psychic Researcher and wields a floating orb.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Spelled "Riti" on her character design page.
- Stripperific: Only a couple of wraps cover her chest area.
- Underboobs: On proud display.
- Voice Actress: Yuu KimuraSkill: Lord AttackRevenge Magic: Five of Star!!Weakness: Time Division
A playful researcher. She wields twin swords and her stage is Playground Forests.
- Cat Smile: Like Mari.
- Cute Little Fangs: To go along with her Cat Smile
- Cycle of Hurting: Many characters can be subjected to this via their weakness weapon, but Rudy is particularly notable in that she can be prevented from even activating the invincibility given to Revenge Magics.
- Dash Attack: Lord Attack.
- Dual Wielding: Attacks using two swords.
- Facial Markings: Red marks on her cheeks.
- Gender-Blender Name: Rudy apparently can be a female name, but it goes without saying that the male form is much more popular.
- Girlish Pigtails: As seen in the picture.
- Little Bit Beastly: She has fox ears.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Lord Attack could be interpreted as Road Attack or Load Attack.
- Verbal Tic: "Nyaa" at the end of sentences.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Wears white thigh high boots.
- Voice Actress: Suzu Uehara
- Revenge Magic: FantasistaWeakness: High Power Beam
A famous student in the nation of Liana. Her stage is Toscana Cathedral.
- Disabled Hottie: She lost the use of her right eye in a magic-related accident. That doesn't stop her from being considered an elite student.
- Exotic Eye Designs: Her left eye has a cross pupil.
- Foreshadowing: Her character design page flat-out states that she will be important in a future game. A much more subtle hint is the fact that she's the only new character that is designed by one of the two recurring artists.
- Homing Projectile: At half-health, she releases energy orbs that track the player.
- Noodle Incident: The magic accident. It is alluded to a couple of times, but the game never goes into detail about how and why the incident occurred.
- Pillar of Light: Fantasista.
- Scars Are Forever: She chooses not to have the scar over her right eye removed.
- Trick Arrow: She fires exploding arrows. At least on higher difficulties, she rushes at the player while said explosions are still active.
- Weapon of Choice: A "magic tool" that functions as a Blade on a Stick, staff, and bow and arrow.
- Voice Actress: Miyuki KanetakaRevenge Magic: Hyper Upper Tornado!!Weakness: Boing Boing
A chatty, not to mention strange, Fae. Her stage is Lake Adria.
- Blow You Away: Both figuratively and literally. Much more dangerous in this game, as her arena now contains pitfalls on each side.
- Enemy Summoner: Summons small fairies to attack the player.
- Expy: She bears a good resemblance to Daiyousei. Considering Inside System started out developing Touhou Doujin Soft, it's not surprising that they managed to slip in an Expy.
- Older Than They Look: Kuito calls Stoj out on this when Stoj calls her an "old biddy."
- Recurring Boss: Was a standard boss in the first game.
- Tornado Move: One of her standard attacks, as well as Hyper Upper Tornado.
- Transformation Ray: A strange spell that induces "pig" status on the player
- Voice Actress: Junka AmaotoRevenge Magic: Star Dust RingWeakness: Dia Missile
A student who deals in underworld information. Her stage is Pei Ruins.
- Call-Back: She's still weak to Dia Missile.
- Cute Little Fangs: Gains a sharp tooth in her Episode 2 design. Potentially Fangs Are Evil.
- Expy: Downplayed, her red bangs are much less pronounced and she now wears her hair in a ponytail. She's not mini-Ryuko anymore.
- Hyper-Destructive Bouncing Ball: Her Bound Ring attacks.
- The Klutz: Still present. During Star Dust Ring she perform a mighty leap and unleashes several Bound Rings...before falling flat on her stomach. Except on Lunatic, where she successfully sticks the landing.
- Recurring Boss: Also was a normal boss in the first game.
- Recursive Ammo: Still present in her primary attacks.
- Skipping School: So much that she can't even remember what grade she's in.
- Voice Actress: Nanami TakahashiRevenge Magic: Final Evolution!!Weakness: Overhelm
A warrior from Rasil, sent by the princess's personal knight. Her stage is Port Campania.
- Arrogant Kung Fu Girl: Zigzagged. She talks down to Zizou, but claims that she doesn't enjoy the type of fame that she's gained.
- Dash Attack: Her initial attack is dashing at the player. Try to jump over it at the wrong time, however, and she will turn it into a Shoryuken.
- The Dreaded: Her stage intro claims that she single-handedly defeated a horde of enemies in a civil war, leading to her being known as a hero and a witch. Zizou also refers to her as a "living god."
- Ground Punch: Both a normal attack (which spawns flames) and Final Evolution (which causes explosions).
- Half-Human Hybrid: She is part Golem.
- Knuckle Cracking: In her intro animation.
- Powered Armor: What her armor resembles.
- Slasher Smile: In her normal portrait.
- Turns Red: Literally does so during Final Evolution.
- Voice Actress: Akina KanazawaRevenge Magic: HandertWeakness: Dia Missile (1st form only)
Franzer the Fifth is the Empress of Germa. Her stage is Vilhelm Castle.
- Big Bad: She is the antagonist of the story.
- Nice Hat: Wears a giant hat.
- Facial Markings: In her One-Winged Angel form.
- Final Boss: Of Zizou's story.
- Flash Step: Her first form's Revenge Magic has her attacking the player with these.
- HP to 1: EX Franzer's Revenge Magic, accomplished by slicing Zizou about a dozen times.
- Kaizo Trap: Her skull portal projectile remains on the screen even after her first form is defeated.
- Lady Looks Like a Dude: To the point that even the translators were fooled. Her very husky voice definitely doesn't help matters.
- One-Winged Angel: Like Riva, she is fought normally before pulling this trope.
- Power Floats: In her One-Winged Angel form.
- Royals Who Actually Do Something: She is the ruler of Germa.
- She's a Man in Japan: Was referred to as a male initially. (And her subtitle was Emperor.) It was eventually corrected in a patch.
- Summon Magic: Summons Darry enemies at half-health to slow the player down.