- "'Played By:"' Clive Owen
A gifted doctor who seeks to push the advances of science and medicine. Is addicted to Cocaine, which has disastrous consequences
- Broken Ace: A gifted surgeon but a deeply messed up individual
- Dr. Jerk
- Everyone Has Standards: Even before he accepts Edwards he's genuinely disgusted when Bunky Collier threatens to kill Edwards and string him up.
- Politically Incorrect Hero: Somewhat; he treats Edwards unfairly but even that's implied to be partially because he resented not being allowed to choose his own deputy chief of surgeon. Even before the riot in Episode 7 he expresses disgust when Bunky Collier threatens "to string Edwards up", and once Edwards shows the innovations, he comes around quickly
- "'Played By:"' Eric Johnson
The man who was originally going to be deputy head of surgeon before Edwards got the job
- Butt-Monkey: For Season 1. He loses his promotion, he accidentally infects his kid with meningitis (which kills the kid), finds out that his former champion Dr Thackery has gravitated towards his hated rival Dr Edwards, gets publicly humiliated when Edwards basically forces Gallinger to let Edwards take over, loses his adopted daughter when his wife reenacts Shutter island on the kid, and gets suspended after attacking Edwards.
- Dr. Jerk
- Evil Is Petty: Leaving aside his sabotaging Edwards, he wastes an absurd amount of time trying to get his wife to translate a french medical journal and experimenting with pigs rather than simply letting Edwards preform the procedure. In fact his embracing eugenics is pretty much inspired by his personal hatred for Edwards, who he simply cannot admit is a better surgeon then he is.
- Green-Eyed Monster: It's made painfully clear that a large part of his disdain for Edwards comes from the fact that deep down he KNOWS Edwards is a better surgeon then he is.
- Jerkass: Quite possibly one of the biggest on the entire show.
- Karma Houdini: Gets away with sabotaging Edwards debut surgery, is let off by the medical board for sterilizing teenagers who are "idiots" and cripples Edwards eye, preventing him from ever being a surgeon. When he finds out his wife DIDN'T actually kill Doctor Cotten he keeps this to himself and goes home to bang his sister in law.
- Never My Fault: Attacks Edwards in the first season finale because he blames Edwards for ruining his life; Edwards quite rightly points out that Gallinger has no one to blame but himself.
- Politically Incorrect Villain: The most virulent racist on the show (excepting the mob in episode 7); even after Thackery comes around to Edwards Gallinger refuses to let go of his animosity.