Actor: Dominic Cooper
Dakin is the most confident and handsome boy in his class.
- Ambiguously Bi: Dakin successfully seduces Irwin while still dating Fiona, but his exact sexuality is never labeled.
- Have I Mentioned I Am Sexually Active Today?: Dakin gives Scripps constant updates on his sex life, whether he likes it or not.
- Teacher/Student Romance: For Irwin.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: To IrwinDakin: Why are you so bold in argument and talking but when it comes to the point, when its something thats actually happening, I mean now, youre so fucking careful?
Actor: Samuel Barnett
Posner is a Jewish boy of small stature and the youngest student in his sixth-form class.
- Bittersweet Ending: In the film. In the play his ending is just depressing.
- Gayngst:Im a Jew. Im small. Im homosexual. And I live in Sheffield. Im fucked.
- "I Am" Song: Bewitched, Bothered, and Bewildered
- Jewish and Nerdy: He is both.
- Kick the Dog: Hes playfully mocked several times, particularly by Lockwood.
- Love Martyr: Dakin finds Posners crush on him to be annoying at best, but Posner carries on pining nonetheless.
- Teacher's Pet:Akthar: Its just the knowledge, sir.
Timms: The pursuit of it for its own sake, sir.
Posner: Not useful, sir. Not like your lessons.
- The Woobie: He spends half the movie looking like hes about to cry.
Actor: Jamie Parker
Scripps is an Anglican student and the most religious boy in his class.
- Ambiguously Bi:Scripps: Just because youve got a scholarship doesnt mean youve got to give him unfettered access to your dick.
Dakin: So how would you say thank you?
Scripps: Same as you, probably. On my knees.
- Ambiguously Christian: Subverted. Scripps is the only character who is outwardly Christian.
- Deadpan Snarker: Everyone tends to be somewhat snarky, but Scripps stands out as being exceptionally dry, especially in response to Dakins love life.
- Nostalgic Narrator: Scripps is the main narrator of the story, and he tends to speak about events in the past tense as theyre unfolding.
- The Piano Player: Subverted. While he does accompany Posner on piano several times, he does more than just that.
- Vow of Celibacy:
Actor: Russell Tovey
Rudge comes from a working-class background and struggles in school; none of his teachers expect him to get into Oxbridge.
- Dumb Jock: Rudge isnt necessarily dumb, he just isnt as smart as his ridiculously clever classmates.You may think its a joke, but golf makes the same sense to me as architecture or films do to you. You may not rate it but its an accomplishment. I may not know much about Jean-Paul Sartre, but Ive got a handicap of four.
Actor: James Corden
Timms is overweight and plays the role of the class clown.
Actor: Sacha Dhawan
Akthar is a Muslim student of unspecified South Asian descent.
- Token Minority: Alongside Crowther.
Actor: Samuel Anderson
Crowther has notable acting talent.
- Token Minority: Alongside Akthar.
Actor: Andrew Knott
Lockwood is an argumentative student.
- Killed Offscreen: Only in the film.
Actor: Richard Griffiths
The eccentric General Studies teacher who believes that exam preparation is the enemy of education.
- Armoured Closet Gay: Is an extremely closeted gay man, to the extent that hes married to a woman.
- Big "SHUT UP!":WILL YOU SHUT UP ABOUT THESE EXAMS!
- Cool Teacher: Deconstructed. Hes the cool teacher but he also gropes his pupils and is a bit of a shambles.
- Fired Teacher: Hector isnt quite fired, but he is pressured to resign until Dakin gets him his job back by blackmailing Felix.
- Killed Offscreen: The aftermath of the accident that kills Hector is shown, as is his funeral, but we never actually see a body.
- Teacher/Student Romance: Generally.
Actor: Stephen Campbell Moore
The young and savvy supply teacher whom the Headmaster brings in to prepare the boys for their Oxbridge entrance exams.
Actor: Frances de la Tour
Mrs. Dorothy Lintott is the history teacher who has quietly and steadily been teaching the boys everything they need to know to excel academically.
- Better than Sex: She states to Hector that prefers her first pizza to losing her virginity.
- Motive Rant: Non-criminal, but an example nonetheless.Historys not such a frolic for women as it is for men. Why should it be? They never get round the conference table.
- Only Sane Man: In between Hector fondling the boys, Irwin pining after Dakin, and Felix being an overall imbecile, Lintott comes across as stark raving sane.
- Stern Teacher: Deconstructed. Shes stern, but shes kind and clearly cares first and foremost about the boys education.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Brief but to-the-point.Hector, a grope is a grope. It is not the Annunciation.
Actor: Clive Merrison
Mr. Felix Armstrong is the Headmaster of the school.
- Hate Sink: Universally disliked by staff and students alike.Mrs Lintott: Our headmaster is a twat. An impermissible word nowadays but the only one suited to my purpose. A twat. And to go further down the same proscribed path, a condescending cunt.
Actor: Georgia Taylor
Fiona is the Headmasters secretary with whom Dakin has an affair.
- He Who Must Not Be Seen: Shes mentioned many times in the play but never makes an appearance. In the movie, however, she is in several scenes.