David James Odinson Reeves
David is an Odinson and the little twin brother of Elizabeth (aka Lizzy). He and his sister are the children of King William III and Nunzia. He is considered the "Leader" of his group of friends whenever they go into battle, though the first time they are shown doing so, his friends disregard what he says until he gives them a speech.
- Abusive Parents: Aunts. It is stated and implied that David was abused in every way by his aunts while they "doted on Lizzy".
- The Ace/Broken Ace: David is a tough, capable fighter able to defeat the most powerful of gods, but he suffers from severe Heroic Self-Deprecation due to watching every person he has ever loved die in front of him. Ananke and Lizzy have stated that his life has been filled with nothing but pain and tragedy.
- The Ageless: Played with. He ages, but at a much slower rate than regular mortals. It's implied he has been alive much longer than a human should be and still looks like a sixteen-year-old boy (in his and Lizzy's own words, they are this age in Odinson years).
- All for Nothing/Forced to Watch: In the sequel series, demigods have been outed by a yet-to-be revealed person and David and his friends go on the run to escape the US before they're killed. [[spoiler: Most of them manage to escape through the Gulf of Mexico. Raelin and Solomon are gunned down, however. And David spends the following years watching his friends die one by one, unable to help.
- Badass: David has gone toe-to-toe with several gods, including the personification of the Earth and even wanted to fight Ananke - the most feared goddess in the world. How is he not badass?
- Badass Boast
- Badass in Charge: During the third book, it is shown that David normally gives the orders when he and his friends are in a battle.
- Badass in Distress: Largely averted, though played straight once when he is restrained by Gaea and Jamie has to come to his rescue. A chapter later and it is subverted as Jamie is almost killed and David goes into a Roaring Rampage of Revenge.
- Badass Longcoat: Whenever he goes into a battle, he wears the trench coat given to him by his godmother Coreen.
- Bad Liar: Subverted. David is an excellent liar, which he attributes to being several things (i.e. pirate, a CEO, etc) that require him to constantly exaggerate or just make up Blatant Lies on the spot. It is, however, Double Subverted with Jamie Azure, who is the only one who can always tell when he is lying.
- The Berserker: If you hurt or threaten one of his friends, good luck staying alive.
- Beware the Nice Ones: He is almost always downright cheerful towards people (excluding Larry Percevial - who he has good reason to hate), even his enemies like Gaia. However, when angry, he's terrifying to the point that even his friends - except Jamie - are scared of him, always changing their tone into something soothing.
- On another note, during some of the narratives from Elizabeth, it is implied there is something sinister buried in David, only ever giving it the name "Henry".
- Big Eater: Along with Lizzy. David's stomach is apparently a literal bottomless pit, as in the first book he is described as eating the entire buffet of a tournament, even taking the steam trays while the employees try to stop him.
- Cool Sword: He possesses two swords named Vafþrúðnir and Dromi.
- The Casanova: Played with. He is sought out by many women, including all the girls in his group besides his sister, but he has made it clear that he doesn't like the attention or the fact that Gaia tried to rape him or that something about him brainwashed Jamie into giving him oral sex.
- Deadpan Snarker: He always has something snarky to say, especially to gods. Maybe being so old caused him to gain a dry wit.
- Death Glare: Seems to give one to all of his enemies, though his friends get them as well if they annoy him enough and they are shown to fear him when he is angry.
- Death Seeker: Is implied to be this during the conversation between him and his sister when Raelin eavesdropped on them.
- Determinator: A lot of his friends show signs of this, but David is the king of them all. Whenever he finds that an opponent who needs beating is stronger than him, he goes off to train, sometimes in other realms.
- Did You Just Flip Off Cthulhu?: David shows blatant disrespect to all gods he meets, even the personification of Destiny, the sky and the earth themselves. Whether this is because he knows he can get away with it, he's trying to get them to fight him, or has actual contempt for the god is not clear, though it could be a mix of all three.
- The Drifter: In the prologue of Righteous Rage, David is implied to be this as he gets off a bus in Ferguson and walks back to Madison.
- Fearless Fool: David can be rash and generally seems to not think of the consequences of his actions. A prominent example would be trying to pick a fight with Ananke.
- Good Is Not Soft: A pretty nice guy who will go out of his way to make someone comfortable. And also beat someone brutally into the dirt.
- Good Thing You Can Heal: David's fighting style makes him the Leroy Jenkins of his team. He rushes headfirst into battles with no real strategy and either slaughters everyone or gets beaten. If the latter happens, he only survives because of his aggressive Healing Factor.
- Hates Being Alone: His conversation with himself during his Odinson Metamorphosis implies that deep down he fears his friends will abandon him. In the beginning of Inhuman Tribulations, he states that he would prefer his friends die than them leave him (he also states that dying would still be horrible for him).
- He Had a Name: States this almost word for word when Gaea callously calls Jamie "the mortal" after killing her, pissing off David even more and making him give her an even more brutal No-Holds-Barred Beatdown than before.
- David: Just... Like.. The... Mortal? That mortal's name... Is... JAMIE!
- It comes up again when David is about to fight Gaia and she forgets that she sent Gaea to kill Ashley - one of David's friends.David: Her name was Ashley. She was a friend.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: He has serious issues with self-esteem and self-worth.
- Human Mom, Non-Human Dad: Played with. His mother is human and so is his father, but he has a second biological father (Odin)
- I'll Kill You!: States this to Gaea twice. The first time, word for word, the second, a little more... complexly.
- Ironic Name: His first name means "beloved" in Hebrew. Considering his childhood...
- Word of God states this was intentional.
- The Nicknamer: David has given each of his friends their own nickname at least once, but he only calls his sister and his girlfriend by the nicknames he gave them.
- Not Himself: Becomes Brainwashed and Crazy during one chapter in Inhuman Tribulations.
- MayflyDecember Romance: His relationship with Jamie is stated to be this. As he will potentially live long after he dies. However, by the sequel series, she is still alive and young due to Asgard's golden apples, so this trope is somewhat subverted.
- Older Than They Look: It hasn't been explicitly said how old he is, but his "real" age is determined by how old he is in Odinson years (he is sixteen in Odinson years by the start of Inhuman Tribulations) and it has been implied that he has been alive since at least the early 1900s.
- Other Me Annoys Me: He hates his alternate counterpart Taavi with a burning passion.
- Mind over Matter: Is very skilled with this, but doesn't use it as often as his fire abilities.
- Parental Neglect: Oh, big time. In a flashback, he is described as being a "skeleton with flesh".
- Playing with Fire: His primary ability is fire. Specifically, rainbow fire.
- Rasputinian Death: While he's only died once in the series, David can take a tremendous amount of punishment due to his healing ability, which has been shown to be accelerated by absorbing sources of heat.
- Real Men Hate Affection: Largely subverted when it comes to Jamie, though it can be played straight with her when he believes it isn't the time for it.
- Refusing Paradise: He denies the chance to live as a god in Asgard because he doesn't want to live without Jamie.
- Roaring Rampageof Revenge: Unleashes one on Gaea when he thinks she killed Jamie.
- Shipper on Deck: Appears to think his sister and best friend would make a good couple.
- Sir Swears-a-Lot: He is one of the people to swear the most, even coming up with "Asscuntdoucheholebag" to describe what Gaia is.
- The Snark Knight: He will not hesitate to show it with anyone, even himself.
- Weaksauce Weakness: Alcohol is implied to be this as it burned through Lizzy's skin like acid.
- Would Hit a Girl: Has no problems with this whatsoever, mostly because his female friends would be pissed if he went easy on them and two of the Big Bads have been female.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: During the Prologue of Dark Side of the Almighty, he is implied to be afraid of fire.
Elizabeth "Lizzy" Kay Odinson Reeves
Elizabeth is an Odinson and the older twin sister of David (who she typically refers to as De-De). Unlike her brother, Lizzy is not nearly as trusting of new people - even if David likes them - and will treat them like diseases until she deems them trustworthy (which, as said by Raelin, can take years).
- Abusive Parents: Subverted when it came to Elizabeth, but played straight when it came to her little brother.
- Action Duo: With all her friends, but mostly Jamie, Dylan, and David.
- Action Girl: Let's see. Sword capable of killing demons? Check. Fighting Gaia and almost winning? Check.
- Affectionate Nickname: Elizabeth often calls David "De-De" when speaking to him. Her brother's girlfriend calls her "Eliza" when speaking to her.
- Anger Born of Worry: Elizabeth expresses her worry through yelling, typically at David.
- Ambiguously Bi: She seems to prefer men, but she has had no problem with kissing Jamie or other girls in various situations.
- Arch-Enemy: To Ouranos and Gaia in Inhuman Tribulations.
- Arrogant Kung-Fu Guy: She shows shades of this when thinking about how no one can have a stronger will than her.
- Berserk Button: She definitely wont win any Friend of the Year awards, but hurt any of her friends - even ones she doesnt like - and she WILL NOT BE HAPPY.
- Close-Range Combatant: Through clearly capable of fighting at long range (and she has done so a few times), like her little brother, she seems to prefer hand-to-hand combat.
- Extraordinarily Empowered Girl: Just how extraordinary remains to be seen as she and her brother are the only known Odinsons (all the others were wiped out), though it has been stated in Gaia's Inner Monolgue that they didn't rank very high on the list.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: To people she doesn't know and, therefore, doesn't trust. Her defrosting can take years, as evidenced by her relationship with Raelin.
- Healing Factor: Has this and it is implied all Odinsons have this. The factor is what allows Lizzy to still live after having her throat dissolved by alcohol.
- Human Mom, Non-Human Dad: Played with. Her mother is human and so is her father, but she has a second biological father (Odin).
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: After delivering a No-Holds-Barred Beatdown on Gaia, she ultimately tires herself out and is stabbed from behind with her little brother's sword.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Can and will be rude and callous to those she doesn't trust, but will still show concern when they are hurt or in danger and do all she can to protect them.
- Person of Mass Destruction: Since her brother is David Reeves, she is potentially this.
- Shipper on Deck: Wanted Jamie and her brother to get together and is beaming when she sees them in a suggestive situation.
- Sugar-and-Ice Personality: Throughout The Mystery Of The Children Of Odin, she acts cold and callous towards Raelin, but is revealed to genuinely care for her (though she wouldn't admit it).
- Super Strength: Seems to come with being an Odinson, though, according to Gaia, she doesn't rank very high on the list of "Most Powerful Odinsons".
- Weaksauce Weakness: Alcohol burns through her skin like acid and can even dissolve her throat. Luckily, she can heal faster than the substance can kill her. See Healing Factor above.
- You Are Better Than You Think You Are: Attempts to make David see this.
Jamie is the little sister of Dylan Azure and the daughter of Poseidon. She is the best friend of Elizabeth and later becomes the girlfriend of David. Out of all her friends of sword users and superhuman strength-wielding demigods, she is the only one who utilizes a bow and arrow, though she has made it clear that she isn't to be underestimated.
- Action Girl/Badass: Despite being significantly weaker than her other demigod friends like Raelin, Abby, David, and Lizzy, Jamie is not meant to be trifled with. Her arrow skills are something to behold and she is able to kick just as much ass as her Odinson friends.
- Moreover, not many people can say they charged an acid-spewing monster and stabbed it in the eyes with their arrows.
- Affectionate Nickname: Has one for Elizabeth (Eliza) and several for David after they start dating.
- Badass Boast: Has gotten at least one, which is the above quote.
- Beauty Is Never Tarnished: Averted during her fight with Gaea where she is described as bleeding in several places and losing teeth.
- Berserk Button: Just like David has a "Jamie Button", Jamie seems to have a "David Button" as the Lilins going after her boyfriend learned.
- Big Damn Heroes: Ultimately subverted as she stands no change against Gaea and tries to free David from his restraints and is disposed of.
- Determinator: In the events of Righteous Rage, [[spoiler: despite being constantly thrown about like a rag doll, she tries her damnest to free David from his restraints, even when she can't even stand anymore and begins crawling towards him. It took being slammed into the earth for her to stop moving.
- Throughout the battle going on in her school, she is running and throw curses at L Ilins trying to take David from her. Despite being defenseless, exhausted, and taking an explosion to the face. It took David waking up and her being distracted for the Lilins to finally dispose of her.
- Deadpan Snarker: Especially towards her big brother. Say something stupid and the snark comes, even when she herself thinks it isn't necessary.
- Improbable Aiming Skills: So skilled with her bow and arrow that she shoot an arrow laced with poison down a dragon's throat.
- Long Hair Is Feminine: Is described as having extremely long hair in almost every series.
- The Medic: Can use her control over water to heal minor injuries.
- Official Couple: With David.
- Peel A Bangs: Is sometimes described as having two bangs on either side of her face.
Raelin Connelly is the girlfriend of Solomon Kiernan and the daughter of the Norse God Thor. She acts as the one of the Only Sane Man in the group and is one of the most patient people among her friends.
- Action Girl/Badass: Just like all her friends, she is an action girl. And if incapacitating groups of people sent to injure her all by herself isn't badass, what is?
- Nosy Neighbor: A variation of this trope. She is the Secret Chaser of the group in the first book, constantly trying to uncover the secrets that David and Lizzy keep from her and the others. She doesn't uncover much by the end and decides to just drop her search.
- Power Incontinence: She is incapable of being in bodies of water without discharging electricity, injuring and even killing those around her. If she falls into a body of water large enough, she will die instantly. Because of this, she cleans herself by sponge bathing.
- Shock and Awe: Comes with being the daughter of the God of Thunder.
- Seen It All: States this in her narration of David's pyroporting.
- Suicide by Cop: She, along with Solomon, dies from a hail of bullets while trying to buy time to allow their friends to escape across the Gulf of Mexico.
Flora is a legacy demigod. The granddaughter of Hermes and daughter of Thor. She is the best friend of Raelin Connelly and provides support for the group outside of and during battles.
- Shock and Awe: As a child of Thor, she is capable of lightning abilities but doesn't show them off.
Gaea are clones of the Goddess of Earth Gaia. They were sent to kill Ashley when she infiltrated one of their Hawaiian bases, then to David's school to hunt for him. After completely demolishing the school and its defenses, Gaea engaged in a battle with a newly-empowered David.
- Arrogant Kung-Fu Guy: She has a high opinion of her abilities, which could be justified since shes a clone of the personification of the earth, who is also one.
- Flat Character: She doesnt have that much of a personality when compared to the other characters.
- Generic Doomsday Villain: Her reasons for committing her actions are, at best, murky and, at worst, nonexistent. Essentially, shes there for David to be pushed over the edge and allow him to tap into his inner power.
- Too Dumb to Live: Actually thought killing one of David's friends in front of him was a good idea.
- Villainous Breakdown: Begins to freak out when David becomes too much for her to handle after awakening his 11th-Hour Superpower.
Ouranos is the personification of the sky and the husband of Gaia. He is believed to be the mortal enemy of Elizabeth Reeves and destined to battle her to the death, just as his wife is to do with David Reeves.
- Deadpan Snarker: He shows traces of this during his first interaction with David.
- Flat Character/We Hardly Knew Ye: Debuts in Inhuman Tribulations and doesn't get much development compared to Gaia and other characters before getting axed off.
- Killed Off for Real: Gaia is implied to have killed him off-screen. However, being that he is an immortal and the personification of the sky, how dead he is is debatable.
- Only Sane Man: Shows a little bit of this with his bewilderment to some of Gaia's choices, such as deliberate stupid decisions.
- Politically Incorrect Villain: Seems to have the "stay in the kitchen" mindset when it comes to mortal women. However, this trope may be downplayed as he only expressed confusion because of the fact that David and Jamie weren't engaging in normal Odinson relationship practices.
Gaia is the personification of the Earth itself. She is the reason why David and Lizzy are orphans, why Ashley is dead, and why everything that is bad in the groups' lives has happened to them.
- Action Girl: Like almost every female, she can handle herself in a fight.
- Affably Evil: She maintains a very polite disposition, refusing to interrupt someone's conversation and will engage in small talk with her enemies.
- Arrogant Kung-Fu Guy: She has a high opinion of her abilities, which could be justified since shes the personification of the earth. However, this trope is downplayed, when it comes to Davids sword skills, at least.
- Big Bad: She is the main antagonist of the Inhuman Tribulations.
- Black Widow: Is implied to have killed Ouranos.
- Bond Villain Stupidity: Parodied. She forces Ouranos to buy a huge semi (which they fly in the air), because she knew it would greatly hinder him, saying that she had to fill the quota of doing at least one stupid thing that impeded either her plans, her henchmen, or both.
- The Dreaded: Downplayed, then played straight. The group clearly recognized the threat she poses but doesn't really show much panic at the thought of her coming. Then they find her standing over them and show clear fear.
- Non-Action Big Bad: Largely averted. While she has monsters and beings to fight for her, she does get her hands dirty. The monsters and minions are there to keep her target's allies occupied or get her target if their allies have her occupied.
- Kick the Dog: Overlaps with But for Me, It Was Tuesday. She completely forgets that she sent Gaea to kill Ashley, one of David's close friends, prompting David to invoke He Had a Name.
- We Can Rule Together: Attempts this on David twice. They both fail with David mocking and snarking at her.
- Shameless Fanservice Girl: Exaggerated. Gaia never wears clothes and is always naked, which once almost caused David to suffer from Distracted by the Sexy.
- Unskilled, but Strong: Downplayed. She certainly is skilled with Dromi, but is mediocre when compared to David's skill with a sword.
- 0% Approval Rating: Taavi is hated almost universally by his subjects. Even his own soldiers seem to hold utter contempt for him. The only reason he hasn't been overthrown is because most people realize at this point that he can't be beaten. His only friend seems to be Loki.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: He's very different from our David personality-wise. But strength-wise, he's almost the same. And every time he personally fights, he reminds us why he's so feared by everyone around him.
- Big Bad: Of The Dark Side of the Almighty. He provides a very serious threat and shows us how fearsome Odinsons are when he manages to put David on the defensive and almost win several times. If not for Lizzy, he would've managed to kill David at one point.
- Deadpan Snarker: He is David, after all. Almost everything he says that isn't a scare tactic is snark.
- The Determinator: Another trait he shares with David. Even when it's clear he's lost, he refuses to stay down until he can't move.
- The Dreaded: The world at large is terrified of him and will do anything possible to avoid angering him.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: He seems to genuinely care about Loki. And his shrine below his palace shows he never got over the death of his Jamie and their baby.
- Evil Counterpart: To David, obviously.
- Faux Affably Evil: He's quite civil with his enemies. Even while he's disemboweling them.
- They Were Holding You Back: Tries to convince his alternate counterpart of this. David is having none of it.