open/close all folders
Hematites as a Whole
- Age Is Relative: The Hematites, like other gem species, can live for a very long time, yet do not "act their age", so to speak.
- Hema is approximately between 15 to 60 years old (age unspecified), yet still acts relatively like a young adult.
- Tiny is also "old" in human terms (age unspecified), yet acts much like a hyper young child.
- Aggressive Categorism: The Hematites are often stereotyped to be dangerous monsters.
- In Chapter 49: Dangerous Feature, it's shown that Hema is used to this negative stereotype of his kind: "... How are you so calm around me? When I'm like this? Everyone else is nervous around me."
- In Chapter 58: Hunted, Topaz refers to Hema, as well as his kind in general, when they say "I know you're a monster! A monster that can't be trusted!"
- Goggles Do Something Unusual: Their visors can take pictures, write information/notes, predict where a gem will move, scan and identify gem types/gem instabilities, call other gems, etc.
- Meaningful Name: All of the Hematites' names mean something, or came from a very specific event.
- Mago named herself by scrambling the letters of M.A.G.R.O, the technical term for the Hematite job class.
- HT goes by her gem signature code, which, for a Hematite, is the letters "HT".
- Meta was compared to metal.
- Nature Vs Nurture: Many of the Hematites act very uncivilized in some ways. Although this could have to do with their animalistic instincts, it is also likely that, as they were not raised around other gems, they are unused to various concepts of manners and civility.
- In comparison to the others, Hema seems to be the most "civilized" out of all the Hematites. This fact would likely be different if he hadn't been chosen to be White's bodyguard and move into the Diamond Towers.
- Oh, and X Dies: In Chapter 6: Defective, it is revealed that Hematites have a fatal flaw in their coding; they have a 100% chance of eventual corruption. It is then assumed that they will be killed after corrupting, as corruption will turn them into bloodthirsty, mindless monsters that need to be slain before they kill other gems.
- One-Way Visor: When their visors are lit up, it completely obscures their eyes from view.
- Sizeshifter: All of the Hematites have size-shifting abilities. They can get as small as a few inches tall, and as big as 300 feet, in 'Big Guy's' case. This shifting is dictated by energy levels in their forms. They shrink down when tired-out. Mago's size shifting is reversed, where she has to be big when tired, and shrinking takes up energy. Sometimes the size shifting 'breaks' if a Hematite is emotionally compromised or stressed-out. Hematites also have special rules where they can shape shift longer than normal Gems.
- Shock and Awe: All Hematites are able to wield electricity based powers of varying intensity from one of three classes:
- Sparks: Weak, but fast and uses less energy.
- Plasma: Medium power and speed that causes scorch damage on objects or opponents.
- and Lightning: Powerful and can cause 1-hit K.O's, but is the slowest of the three classes.
- Vague Age: The exact ages of the Hematites are unknown, as it is not relevant to the plot and gems (who can be killed but are otherwise immortal) do not have the same concept of time as humans.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: Gems in general do this, but are limited by their natural color palette. They also cannot hide their gemstone. Hematites can size-shift at-will, and, unlike other Gems, their gemstones will change size to match their scale. However, their gems still shrink to normal when destabilized.
Current Voice: Johnny Yong Bosch
- Bad Dreams: Hema is occasionally shown to have lasting nightmares due to Yellow's abuse, as well as having nightmares about his eventual corruption.
- In Chapter 43: A Matter of Time, Hema has a nightmare that a massive version of Yellow Diamond is after him and is insisting that he "cannot outrun his fate".
- Bodyguarding a Badass: Hema is the bodyguard of White Diamond, one of the most powerful gems on Homeworld, and the duo are able to clear swarms of rebels or corrupted gems together, without assistance from anyone else.
- Character Tics: Hema, when nervous/awkward, scuffs his foot on the floor, clutches and adjusts his sleeves, holds his hand over his gem, messes with his hair, rubs the back of his neck, and sometimes bites his lip.
- Clear My Name: Hema is falsely accused of cracking White Diamond in an attempt on her life.
- Cry into Chest: When Blue comes to Hema in order to figure out how to clear his name, he cries and begs her to "... Please... help me."
- Fashionable Asymmetry: His visor covers only one eye, and he has a single maroon oval on one side of his pants.
- Fingerless Gloves: Wears half-gloves, and all his fingers are uncovered.
- Good Is Not Nice: Hematite may be the hero, but even he has his flaws.
- In Chapter 12: The Incident, Hema enacts borderline-cruel revenge upon Yellow Diamond.
- In Chapter 78: Settled, Hema interrogates a rebel scout using intimidation tactics.
- In Chapter 78: Settled, Hema and Blue Diamond team up to violently shatter hundreds of rebel gems.
- Hide Your Otherness: Hema refuses to tell Kyan about harvesting and what he does for a living, out of fear that they will see him as a monster.
- Large Runt: Despite being capable of reaching massive heights, Hema is still the runt of the batch, and dwarfed in size by members of his kin.
- Picky Eater: He'll drink liquids, but he does not enjoy the idea of eating food, especially foods that require chewing.
- Power Fist: Hema's weapons are silvery-gray knuckledusters with large, blunt prongs locked onto his fingers.
- Pungeon Master: Likes to make puns and tried one on Yellow, who was not amused.
- Quiet Cry for Help: In Chapter 6: Defective, Hema asks Blue Diamond over drinks "what do you do when someone calls you 'nothing'."
- The Southpaw: Hema is left-hand dominant.
- Spot of Tea: He enjoys a good cup of peppermint tea, and takes time out of his day to have tea with the Diamonds.
- Super Reflexes: Hema has a secondary ability that allows him to see attacks in slow motion when he's under intense stress.
- The Hero: Hema is the main character of this story, and is a pretty nice person, to boot.
- You Are Better Than You Think You Are: Many other characters believe that Hema is a good person and skilled in many things, even if he doesn't believe it himself.
- You Are Not Alone: Even if they don't show this outright, Hema's friends will help him if he needs it, and vice versa.
- Whip It Good: Can form electric whips from his fists and knuckledusters.
Current Voice: Kristen Schaal
- The Baby of the Bunch: Each of the 15 Hematites were given a number based on the order in which they emerged, Tiny's being Number 15, making her the last and youngest Hematite in the batch.
- Everyone's Baby Sister: Tiny is the most childlike of the Hematites, and often acts like a hyper little sister.
- Fashionable Asymmetry: The maroon portion of her suit is slanted, and one half of her visor is longer than the other.
- Foolish Sibling, Responsible Sibling: She acts like a foolish sibling to Tam. She is noisy, outgoing, and playful, whereas Tam is sensible, introspective, and serious.
- Genki Girl: She's energetic and loves running around the Kindergarten, hopping on rocks, and climbing over walls.
- No Sense of Personal Space: Tiny has shown multiple times that she doesn't mind being in someone else's space.
- In Chapter 15: M.A.G.R.O, she repeatedly prods at Mago when the latter's at her smaller size.
- In Chapter 80: To the Stars, when Morgan visits the Hematite Kindergarten to see Mago, Tiny trails him closely and grabs the fabric of his suit, without his permission. She also jumps onto Meta a few times after she leads Morgan to Meta's sleeping spot.
- In Chapter 81: Par for the Course, she shoves past Mati and scoops Frecks up before proceeding to fight her fellow kin, who also wanted to have Frecks as her lesson partner.
- In Chapter 82: Self Reflecting, she hops up and over Meta, using her as a hiding spot while running from Tam.
- Running on All Fours: Often prefers to run this way.
Current Voice: Megan Fahlenbock
- By the Hair: When Hema used to have long hair, Mago would often pull on it and taunt him during their lectures in The Cove.
- Destructive Romance: Mago's unhealthy relationship with Ti damaged her self-esteem and broke her heart.
- Fashionable Asymmetry: One half of her shirt collar covers more than the other side, and her white diamond insignia is on her collarbone.
- Innate Night Vision: She is capable of seeing the heat signatures of other gems, without the use of her visor.
- The Nicknamer: Occasionally calls Tam 'Tammy', almost exclusively refers to Hema as 'Pipsqueak', addresses Kyan as either 'Scruff' or 'Li'lbit', and calls Morgan 'M'. Hell, she even gave herself her current name!
- Rapunzel Hair: Reaches past her lower back.
- The Resenter: Mago is often shown to be jealous of Hema's new status as White's bodyguard after their first test; she resents the fact that he's off living a (in her perspective) cozy life with the Diamonds while she's stuck in the quarry that is the Kindergarten.
- Ridiculous Procrastinator: She has a tendency to put off work fairly regularly, and Ti chides her when she catches her slacking on it.
- The Southpaw: Mago is left-hand dominant.
- Stomach of Holding: When she's at her larger sizes, she occasionally keeps gems in her stomach and pulls them out of her body, similar to a gem pulling their weapon out of their pocket dimension.
Current Voice: David Kaufman
- Genki Guy: He is a very energetic and enthusiastic gem with Motor Mouth tendencies.
- Innate Night Vision: Spike had the natural ability to see perfectly in the dark.
- Motor Mouth: Meta refers to him as a "chatterbox" in Chapter 73: The Wall.
- Power Fist: He uses knuckledusters with thin, short spikes as a weapon.
- Scary Teeth: All of his teeth are razor sharp, even sharper than Mago's, and they become even more terrifying in his corrupted form.
- Spiky Hair: Spikes out into side-swept tufts on the sides and top of his head.
- Tongue Trauma: Spike has a terrible habit of accidentally biting his tongue when speaking quickly and excitedly, much to Mati's amusement.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: WordOfGod has confirmed that he will not have his own story like the other Hematites, as there was not enough time for him to develop one. Aside from the information stated on his model sheet, or his relationships with other gems, there's not much else to learn about him.
Current Voice: Charlyne Yi
- Angrish: Expresses her anger with loud screaming, animalistic snarling, and unintelligible muttering.
- Big Ol' Eyebrows: Has these.
- Carry a Big Stick: Her weapon is a metallic club.
- Fashionable Asymmetry: She wears a two-tone top, and her visor covers only one half of her face.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: Tae is shown to be a very aggressive gem who often gets angry for no apparent reason.
- Hopeless Suitor: Developed a crush on Tita, even though Tita was already in a committed relationship with Meta.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The abrasive, impulsive, and emotionally outspoken Red to HT's Blue.
- Sore Loser: After failing the Harvest Moon Test a second time, she complains for weeks on end about how she was cheated, and deserved to pass more than some of the other Hematites.
- Stronger Than They Look: Despite being on the shorter side compared to the rest of the Hematites, she can easily break boulders into small pieces with a swing from her weapon alone.
- Tomboyish Ponytail: She wears a scruffy ponytail and is brash, fierce, and fully capable of fighting with her club.
- Big Fun: She's got a slightly stocky build, and she's always looking for a good time.
- Boyish Short Hair: Has short hair and loves to roughhouse with other gems.
- Carry a Big Stick: Her preferred weapon is her large, heavy club.
- Cat Smile: Often wears this as her default smile even when she isn't being mischievous.
- Cute Little Fangs: She has a noticeable snaggletooth while her mouth is closed or smiling.
- Fashionable Asymmetry: The main parts of her gloves are symmetrical and so are her boots, but the bands on her gloves share the colors of her left and right half respectively. Her pant legs do not match one another, though her left leg matches the right half of her top.
- Foolish Sibling, Responsible Sibling: Mati acts like the foolish, fun-loving sibling to Tam's responsible, knowledgeable sibling.
- Adjusting Your Glasses: Adjusting her visor, rather. Can be seen doing this in Chapter 81: Par for the Course, when she used a single finger to push her visor up the bridge of her nose.
- Book Worm: HT loves studying and reading information about non-gem creatures and plant life; she has vast knowledge of life forms found on other planets and actively reads the archives whenever she has the time.
- Character Tics: Appears to occasionally lick one of her fangs after stating information matter-a-factly.
- Creepy Monotone: Properly introduces herself to Hema using this tone.
- Power Fist: Mentions gauntlets as the weapon she uses to fight with.
- Rapunzel Hair: Her hair reaches her thighs.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The calm, calculating, and stoic Blue to Tae's Red.
- The Stoic: She has a perpetual expression of bored indifference on her face.
Current Voice: Olivia Olson
- Beta Bitch: Mite takes great pride in being Hemmi's right-hand gem and hangs around her often; she's willing to complete whatever tasks needed of her, no matter if they're cruel and unsavory, if it means she stays in her good graces.
- The Bully: She gladly bullies and threatens gems she dislikes or considers beneath her in some way.
- In Chapter 15: M.A.G.R.O, she and Hemmi followed Hema and Mago, trapping them before Hema could contact White, and very nearly harvested the two, all for seemingly little gain.
- In Chapter 71: Spotted, when Frecks is searching for minerals in the Hematite Kindergarten, Mite cuts off her only route of escape, sticks her in her mouth, and slowly pressed her teeth into the Peridot's midsection until it became painful.
- In Chapter 92: Better Off, Meta reveals that Mite had roughed up Mago so badly that she nearly poofed her, an act that could very well corrupt a Hematite.
- Fangs Are Evil: If you've read some of the things she's done... you'd prooobably see she isn't the nicest Hematite around.
- Fashionable Asymmetry: The red portion of her outfit is far longer on one side than the other.
- Fingerless Gloves: All of her fingers are uncovered, except for her thumb.
- Giggling Villain: When she's scaring or threatening her targets and anticipating their fear, she chuckles.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: She's one of the more antagonistic Hematites, and reports from her harvesting missions show that she's destabilized a high number of mission targets in the past.
- Smug Smiler: She's prone to doing this, especially when she receives praise from Hemmi.
- Those Two Bad Guys: With Hemmi. Both of them torment any unfortunate gem in their path, and Mite's practically attached to the other's hip. Hema even points this out in Chapter 86: Hunter and the Hunted:Hema: Where's Hemmi? Shouldn't you be trailing after her?
Current Voice: Jason Marsden
- Absurdly Sharp Claws: His nails can leave deep score marks on the Kindergarten walls, which he uses to claim his territory with.
- Afraid of Their Own Strength: Since he belongs to a class of gems with powerful sizeshifting abilities, he, understandably, fears that his size and strength could seriously hurt people if he isn't careful.
- Big Ol' Eyebrows: Has these.
- Birds of a Feather: With Meta. Both of them respect smaller gems, cherish their sleep, and act stoic in most situations.
- Curtains Match the Window: Has maroon hair and maroon eyes.
- Fashionable Asymmetry: He wears a two-tone top.
- Fingerless Gloves: All his fingers are uncovered.
- Power Fist: Hita is capable of summoning a massive pair of gauntlets as his weapon, with sharpened claw-like tips at the end of its digits. The claw-like tips of his gauntlets can also extend past his fingertips if needed.
- Rank Up: After passing the first test on the second Harvest Moon, he officially became a Harvester.
- The Slacker: He takes as long as possible when he has a job to do, and would much rather be sleeping instead of working. In Chapter 73: The Wall, it's revealed that learning of his fatal flaw had sapped whatever motivation he had before, leaving him numb and tired all the time.
- The Stoic: His face is usually neutral or blank making him difficult to read, aside from when he's complaining.
- Strong Girl, Smart Guy: The Smart Guy to Meta's Strong Girl. He's perfectly capable of fighting, but he's very observant and gives good advice to others.
- Tiny Guy, Huge Girl: He's one of the taller Hematites, but he still stands about eye level with Meta's waist.
Current Voice: Kristen Bell
- Beauty Is Bad: Many gems take notice of her beauty, even those who dislike her, and her appearance is one of the reasons why both Hema and Mago were able to be manipulated by her.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Ti often presents as a sweet and innocent gem, but there may be something much darker lurking beneath her friendly exterior.
- In Chapter 64: Afraid of the Dark, Ti uses a mysterious ability in order to sadistically torment Morgan with feelings of anxiety, fear, dread, anguish, and mental fragmentation.
- Character Tics: She lifts one of her legs off the ground when she's excited, and plays with a lock of her hair when she's shy. Her hands also clasp together when she feels happy or worried as well.
- Destructive Romance: Ti is shown to be emotionally manipulative in her relationships with other gems.
- In Chapter 38: Advice, it is shown that Ti unceremoniously tossed her relationship with Mago to the side when she realized she couldn't get what she wanted from Mago.
- In Chapter 64: Afraid of the Dark, Hema realizes that Ti is not the goody-two-shoes she pretends to be, and she also leaves him when she realizes she can't manipulate him effectively anymore.
- Drop the Hammer: Has a cross between a hammer and a pickaxe for a weapon.
- Fashionable Asymmetry: The left half of her top shares the same color as her right arm, and the right half of her top shares the same color as her left arm.
- Fragile Speedster: Ti may be the fastest Hematite, and one of the most agile, but she consistently ranks average to below average in all other categories on the Hematite Senses Scale◊, including the Stamina/Endurance portion.
- Hair Flip: Often does this when speaking to Mago, particularly when putting her down or insulting her.
- Long Hair Is Feminine: She's been shown to walk on her tiptoes, speak with a soft, lilting voice, and sing beautiful songs, and she happens to have long, silvery hair. Ti is also sent on the most diplomatic missions because of her friendly nature towards her mission targets.
- Pink Means Feminine: A majority of her outfit consists of pink or lavender, and both her eyes and visor are a pretty pink color; compared to the rest of her kin, Ti is one of the more feminine Hematites in personality as well as appearance.
- Rapunzel Hair: Her hair reaches a little past her lower back.
- Statuesque Stunner: Considered in-universe to be very attractive, and towers over quite a few gems in canon.
- Sugary Malice: Ti is often by others' sides, happy and willing to help them out wherever she can. However, it's shown that at least most of these incidents occur out of a desire to manipulate whichever gem is her current "target".
- Talking to Themself: In Chapter 84: Preparation, she attempts to comfort herself the night before the second Harvest Moon Test by listing good qualities she has as a Harvester, and uses Hema as an example of someone she could measure up to. However, once she brings him up, the voice in her head claims he hates them and they should stay away from him because he's a threat; Ti tries to assuage its fears, but she has little success in doing so.
- Troubled Fetal Position: Assumes this position when she's extremely upset or terrified, particularly when she's reminded that she and all the other Hematites will inevitably corrupt without a cure to save them.
- Weak, but Skilled: She may not be as physically strong as her kin, however, her incredible speed, impressive technique, and excellent use of sizeshifting help her compensate for this. Mago even admits in Chapter 38: Advice, that she's lost against her in their sparring sessions a few times in the past.
Current Voice: Grey Delisle
- Curtains Match the Window: Has pink hair and pink eyes.
- Fashionable Asymmetry: The bands on her shirt are slanted and two different colors, one part of her shirt collar is higher than the other, and her visor covers one half of her face more than the other side.
- Perpetual Frowner: Usually only seen with either a frown, a menacing sneer, or an unamused, neutral look. The only times her face has anything akin to a smile is when cruelly taunting other gems as seen in Chapter 15: M.A.G.R.O, when she and Mite threaten to harvest Hema and Mago.
- Power Fist: She wields a pair of knuckledusters with sharp, silvery 'claws' as a weapon.
- The Resenter: Hemmi is often shown to be disgusted with Hema's newfound higher status, as she believes that she is far superior to the runt of a gem.
- Reverse Arm-Fold: Her arms are often tucked under the other behind her back, usually when she's acting reserved and professional.
- Those Two Bad Guys: With Mite. Both of them torment any unfortunate gem in their path, and Mite is often seen beside her.
- Twitchy Eye: She has a subtle twitchy eye in response to the commotion Tiny makes in the Cove.
- Fingerless Gloves: All of her fingers are uncovered, except her middle and ring fingers.
- Foolish Sibling, Responsible Sibling: Often acts like a responsible sibling to both Mati and Tiny, who are more rambunctious and prone to acting on impulse than she is.
- Nervous Wreck: She's usually composed, but when she starts to overthink something, she becomes an anxious wreck.
- Rank Up: After passing the first test on the second Harvest Moon, she officially became a Harvester.
- Workaholic: Perhaps not to the extent of Yellow Diamond, but she works often and sometimes double or even triple checks her progress, even if it's unnecessary. She takes her jobs very seriously, and has a reputation of nagging the other Hematites when they're not completing their assignments.
Current Voice: Raven Symone
- Affectionate Nickname: Meta lovingly refers to her as 'Tough Stuff', 'Jade-Crusher', and 'Titan'.
- Big Ol' Eyebrows: Has these.
- Fashionable Asymmetry: She wears a two-tone top and her boots also share two-tones.
- Nice Girl: Within moments of being introduced, she engaged Hema in polite conversation and continued to be friendly towards him, even when he acted standoffish and cold to her. Tita, unlike some of the other Hematites, also expressed concern for Hita's mental and physical state as well.
- The Nicknamer: She's the one who gave a majority of her fellow Hematites nicknames. A few of these are 'Fancyboots' for Hema, and 'Boulder Arms' for Meta.
- Power Fist: Tita's weapon is a pair of rounded knuckledusters.
- Unwitting Instigator of Doom: She trains with Hema at his request for weeks, and it's with this training that he is able to last longer against Yellow in a duel; resulting in the incident between them at the Sky Arena, and Yellow's subsequent fear and mistrust of him from that point on. It's also entirely possible that had this incident never happened, Yellow would have been less likely to believe Topaz's supposed "evidence" of Hema's crimes, preventing them from facing trial and punishment.
- Affectionate Nickname: Tita's been known to call her 'Boulder-Arms'.
- Big Ol' Eyebrows: Has these.
- Birds of a Feather: With Hita. Both of them enjoy sleeping on their down-time, have a stoic demeanor, and treat smaller gems with respect and care.
- Curtains Match the Windows: Possesses dark pink hair and dark pink eyes.
- Deadpan Snarker: Meta has a tendency to bluntly or sarcastically point out when someone is being stupid and will call them out on their bullshit in a very dry manner.
- Death Glare: The death glare she gives to people, according to Mati, is absolutely legendary.
- Drop the Hammer: Carries a sizable hammer and pickaxe hybrid for her weapon.
- Fiery Redhead: She used to be a far more angrier gem when she first emerged.
- Mighty Glacier: She's the strongest Hematite and carries a weapon that can break off massive chunks of wall with one swing, but she is not very fast or agile.
- Messy Hair: Has messy hair that curls in the back and sticks out the sides of her head in one direction.
- Muscles Are Meaningful: She's well-built and easily the physically strongest Hematite of the bunch.
- The Storyteller: The stories she tells are based on true experiences she's had while performing missions; the "Mica Tale" in particular is her favorite story to share with others.
- Strong Girl, Smart Guy: The Strong Girl to Hita's Smart Guy. She's an intelligent gem, but she is best known for her physical strength and size.
- Tiny Guy, Huge Girl: She towers over nearly all the other Hematites, including Hita, who's only as tall as her waist.
Current Voice: Kevin Miller
- Big Ol' Eyebrows: Has these.
- Establishing Character Moment: Big Guy disobeyed one of the most important rules of the first Harvest Moon Test by shattering his target gem; he felt absolutely no remorse whatsoever for his actions. He even believed he was justified in his behavior thinking that the "puny gem had it coming".
- I Regret Nothing: Did he truly regret shattering another gem? Not at all.
- Large and in Charge: He was the previous leader of Hemmi and her group of gems, and referred to as "Big Boss" by HT due to his height and status.
- Lean and Mean: He's a very lean gem who had no qualms about ending someone else's life.
- Messy Hair: Called a "messy mop of hair" the few times it's been mentioned.
- Muscles Are Meaningless: Big Guy looks far scrawnier than gems like Meta or Tita, who are more well-built, but he is actually one of the strongest and fastest Hematites in the batch.
- Posthumous Character: In Chapter 1: The Test, after his form is destabilized, Yellow breaks his gem with her foot while it's still on the ground. Any information given on his character will be revealed by those who knew him in life, or through flashbacks.
- Power Fist: Owned a pair of knuckledusters with sharp, triangular edges as a weapon.
- Quirky Curls: He's an electric elemental with messy curls noted by Hemmi, and Hema, to have an odd, off-kilter look about him.