Trope names are not to be spoiler-marked. In addition, the very presence of certain names on this list is a spoiler in of itself; read on at your own risk!
Level data kindly compiled by Glacium Frost.
Jaune ArcClass: The Gamer
Title: Titles List
Level: LV 155
Our favorite "lovable idiot", now Dumbass No More.
A list of Tropes that apply to our protagonist (Warning: Due to Jaune's explosive growth rate, all Tropes that apply may contain spoilers, even if accidentally left unmarked!):
- Adaptational Badass: The whole premise of this fic is turning the canon Butt-Monkey Jaune Arc into a powerful warrior and Hunter.
- Armor-Piercing Attack: Several of Jaune's Skills grant him the ability to penetrate part of an opponent's defense. "Devastating Blows" makes all Jaune's physical attacks have 5% defense penetration. "Magic Missile" comes with 40% defense penetration. "Agneyastra" and "Bane of the Prometheans" have 50%. "Gungnir" has 80%. "Longinus" has complete defense penetration by cutting through the very space occupied by the target, while "Brahmastra" is listed as 'Special'.
- Astral Projection: When his body is encased in a Pandora Shell, Jaune learns to project his consciousness into his Soul Tiger and fight without it.
- Awesomeness by Analysis: Jaune's 'Observe' skill is amongst his most deadly, due to the number of weaknesses he can find just by looking at someone who is within 50 levels of his own once, nevermind what happens when he thoroughly scans them. All the more so once he gains Super Senses.
- Bare-Fisted Monk: Jaune eventually becomes a master of the White Tiger Style of Martial Arts.
- Barrier Warrior
- Bag of Holding: Like any video-game character, Jaune stores his gear in his 'Inventory'.
- Bearer of Bad News: Jaune always seems to have a new bombshell to drop, to the point that Ozpin dreads his calling.
- Being Good Sucks: Jaune comes to learn through painful experience that doing the right thing and putting others before himself is immensely difficult.
- Can't Kill You, Still Need You: Jaune is in the unenviable position of finding himself the 'You', with the Grimm needing him for their plans. What those plans are, nobody knows...
- Car Fu: Jaune's 'Aura Crash' skill lets him do this.
- Cast from Hit Points: Normally a problem found with the various Supernatural Martial Arts found throughout Remnant and their strongest techniques but thanks to the 'Gamer's Body' Jaune only has to worry about his points reaching zero.
- Chrome Champion: Several varieties. "Adamant Serpents Skin" and "Midgardsormrs Skin" turn Jaune's skin into the super-tough Adamant and Adamantine respectively. "Kubera" lets him become metal throughout, including the internals. "Kavacha" takes it even further by turning his whole body into a substance that does not naturally exist in reality, but instead comes from Above.
- Combat Pragmatist: Jaune isn't afraid to fight dirty if the situation calls for it, and has used his surroundings, other enemies, and even the laws of physics to defeat his foes. And far from grow complacent as he grows in power, his ever-growing power and amount of techniques only enables him to cheat all the more aggressively.
- Combat Medic: Thanks to learning a healing technique, Jaune is considered this by the Hunter community.
- Combo Platter Powers: Jaune's power allows him to collect a wide variety of skills and abilities and use them without worry, something that almost no one else on Remnant can do, not to his sheer breadth anyway.
- Cool Sword: Crocea Mors, as per usual. It helps that there was a Metal Elemental sleeping inside it.
- Critical Existence Failure: Jaune's body experiences this, it being called the 'Gamer's Body'. His semblance subtracts Health and Aura points whenever he takes damage, rather than his body being wounded like a normal person. His mind is also similarly protected by an ability called the 'Gamer's Mind'.
- Determinator: When Jaune sets his mind to something, he will not stop. No matter what it takes, no matter how much it costs him, no matter how much pain he has to endure. He strives forward regardless.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Deadly Lunge: Thanks to "White Tiger's Lunge".
- Desperation Attack Etz Hayim greatly boosts his EXP gain, but requires him to stay at low health.
- Dumbass No More: Thanks to his high Wisdom stat.
- Energy Absorption: In the Arc family spar he learns Lux Aeterna, which absorbs light to fuel an attack. It appears to draw directly on his Aura.
- Enlightenment Superpowers: The more he masters his Supernatural Martial Arts and his Elemental Powers, the more Jaune understands about the world around him and the forces that create it, which further feeds into his grasp on his abilities. He even literally gains Skills called "of the Enlightened". This is particularly evident with "Ohr Ein Sof", which grows stronger not based on any stat, but on his understanding of Self and Emanation.
- Elemental Powers: Thanks to contracting his Elemental Spirits Jaune has these aplenty.
- The Empath: In "Boss Rush" he develops the power to sense the emotions of others.
- Energy Ball
- Energy Weapon: To deal with Pyrrha's Semblance making it nearly impossible to land a blow, Jaune shaped his Aura into weapons. The Skill created is called "Vorpal Sword".
- Elemental Embodiment: Thanks to a ritual he learned, Jaune has contracted six Elementals so far, each of which has granted him the equivalent Elemental Powers.
- Blow You Away: Levant the Wind Spirit, letting him control the air.
- Extra-ore-dinary: Crocea Mors, Jaune's first Elemental, gave Jaune metal controlling powers when he awakened it.
- Playing with Fire: Suryasta gives Jaune control over flame.
- Shock and Awe: Vulturnus lets Jaune generate lightning at will.
- Making a Splash: Xihai allows him to summon water wherever he is.
- Dishing Out Dirt: Ereb grants Jaune Earth-bending powers.
- Famed In-Story: He becomes this after his spar with Pyrrha in Mistral.
- Fighting Spirit: The Final Skill of the White Tiger Style teaches Jaune to project a giant Tiger made of light from his body, which can be used to attack, defend, and preform tasks that require another set of hands.
- Fusion Dance: Jaune later learns how to temporarily combine his Elementals into new ones to gain more diverse powers, such as control over Ice, sand, and glass.
- Had To Be Sharp: Jaune spends a lot of the story going into fights at a disadvantage, leading to him becoming a Combat Pragmatist.
- Healing Hands: Soulforge Restoration lets him heal others, although not to the point of regrowing limbs or removing Conquest infection. Its upgrade, Soulforge Reformation, does let him regrow others' limbs, though completely removing Conquest infection still remains out of the question.
- Hope Bringer: To the slaves he rescued he gave them hope of better lives, to Blake he rekindled her desire to change the White Fang for the better without violence, and even to people like Adam and Raven he reminds that the world is still worth fighting for.
- Horsemen of the Apocalypse: One of the Titles that Jaune acquires is 'The White Rider'.
- Hour of Power: Thaumiel only lasts for six minutes.
- In-Series Nickname: Shani calls him "Jay". Adam picks this up too, though out of being unsure which of Jaune's aliases he was using at the moment.
- Inertia Is a Cruel Mistress: "Yellow Road" lets him defy this by allowing him to turn on a dime to follow a path without losing any speed.
- Journey to the Center of the Mind: Jaune eventually learns how to dive into the souls of others, when using his 'Bai Hu' skill.
- Kamehame Hadoken
- Ki Attacks
- Light 'em Up: After attaining a deeper understanding of the world and using White Dust Jaune learns how to summon the Light Element to increase his powers.
- Liminal Being: "The Unseen Form", gained in "Knowledge", enables Jaune to be simultaneously a physical and spiritual entity.
- Magic Enhancement
- Magnificent Bastard: His power play during his first day of lesson in Haven.
- Master of All: Jaune eventually develops into this thanks to the synergy of his Skills. From a pure base Stat perspective he's specialising in Intelligence and Wisdom to the point of being the best in them around, or at least very near the top, with all the incredibly powerful ranged attacks that implies. Yet his Skills also let him punch, move and tank like a physical combat specialist, a nasty surprise for anyone who might be fooled into thinking his sheer power at range comes at the cost of being a Glass Cannon or Squishy Wizard.
- Master of Disguise
- Master of Illusion: "Delusory", which he gains in "Knowledge", lets him create illusions. "Fantasy" takes this Up to Eleven by letting the illusions generate heat and sound.
- My Significance Sense Is Tingling: Jaune's "Clairvoyance" and "Pathfinder" skills usually lead him to were he needs to go.
- The Needless: After leveling up his mental stats sufficiently, Jaune no longer needs to eat or sleep.
- The Omnipotent: Jaune's on his way to this: being immortal and with enough time he's bound to be able to learn all sort of skills, and some of them already break the world's logic.
- The Omniscient: Jaune's many sense-like skills have given him a local omniscience. He's aware of everything that's happening in his vicinity and can passively make correct judgement of what's happening.
- Quantum Mechanics Can Do Anything: Jaune's Dimensional lets him weaponise Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle by turning him into a "cloud of probability" so that he can minimise the damage he takes from having to stand near a giant explosion. A similar mechanism is responsible for the teleportation "Flux" grants him.
- Past-Life Memories: In "Interlude ???", by raising both Int and Wis above 300, Jaune gains "Arcana" and finally regains his memories, and his name.
- Person of Mass Destruction: In "Continue" Jaune uses his Glass Elemental to gather glass from across Vale and generate a Flechette Storm that would give Shatterbird a run for her money. In the Arc family spar he calls up city-engulfing earthquakes and tsunamis.
- Pocket Dimension
- Pop-Cultured Badass
- Power Glows:
- In "Increase" Jaune levels his Aura to LV 99 and gains "Aureola", which allows him to feed his Aura mana to further enhance it. This causes his Aura to become externally visible.
- In "Storage", using "Tiferet" to do Sephirotic Synthesis results in Jaune glowing not just from his Aura but from his whole body.
- Taken Up to Eleven by Aureola's own LV 99 prestige, Aurora, where the glow becomes so intense that it directly damages enemies near him.
- Power Floats: In "Homeward" Jaune learns "Flight of the Vimana", which allows him to fly by focusing his Aura. After he starts using it in "Sleepless", he quickly resolves to grind it by using it to permanently keep himself off the ground.
- Protagonist Journey to Villain: In the White Whale arc it looked like he was undergoing this.
- Pure Energy
- Ramming Always Works: See Car Fu.
- Rapid-Fire Fisticuffs
- Readings Are Off the Scale: Jaunes semblance is so powerful because his soul was made from the remnants of billions of others.
- Required Secondary Powers:
- Gamer's Body, by providing Critical Existence Failure and turning all harm into quantifiable HP loss, enables him to avoid the wear and tear that would otherwise come from the Cast from Hit Points skills.
- Gamer's Mind protects him from getting overwhelmed by all the input he gets from his Super Senses. Reinforced when Gou uses Clairvoyance in "Believing" and finds the added input 'disorienting and dangerous to use in a fight'.
- In "Faces" he explains in detail why trying to use illusions to make one appear bigger or smaller is very difficult - there are so many little details one has to get right. Applying illusions on others is also difficult, even with Aura to massage some of the fiddly bits.
- Strength and Chariot, by adding his Intelligence and Wisdom to his Strength and Dexterity respectively, result in major boosts, but don't boost his Endurance as well. This becomes a problem when every blow would be shattering his fists without Gamer's Body and he's moving so fast that he goes beyond the "air is on fire" stage into the "air is now plasma" stage.
- Spider-Sense: Jaune's "Sense Danger" Skill, gained during his first encounter with a Giant Nevermore.Ryuugi:It doesn't have a firm range, it just alerts him to the fact that something bad is about to happen in a broad sense. It depends on a number of factors including, yes, the speed of the attack, because it's not quite precognition but rather his Aura running a type of constant background check monitoring everything around him, pinging off Auras, monitoring Auras that ping off his, etc. As such, it can never sense something before there's at least intent to attack and against opponents skilled in controlling their Aura—that is, keeping them from broadcasting their intent to the target—it usually won't occur until they do something overt such as start pulling the trigger.
- Status Buff
- Super Empowering: At the end of the White Whale heist, he awakens the Aura of 1000 Faunus ex-slaves.
- Super Senses: In "Pets", by raising his base INT above 100, Jaune gains Clairvoyance, which not only boosts his existing senses but also allows him to sense in ways that normal humans can't, such as seeing in the full electromagnetic spectrum down to the cellular level. For example, this allows him to detect that Raven is a portal-creator even though she has no obvious tell. In addition, his Elementals also grant him the ability to sense things in their respective domains. In "Silenced", Jaune raises his base INT above 150 and gains Extrasensory Perception, which gives him Clairaudience, Clairalience, Clairsentience, and Clairgustance.
- Super Speed: Acceleration lets him speed up his body to incredible levels. Due to it being a time manipulation technique it also makes him a Time Master.
- Super Strength: Even back in the White Whale heist, Jaune was already able to make his foes Hammered into the Ground up to the waist. Time has only made him stronger still.
- Super Toughness
- Supernatural Martial Arts: Jaune learns the 'White Tiger Style' and several other ancient Techniques that focus on using Aura in a variety of ways while striking with the body.
- Summoning Ritual: Thanks to reading an old children's fable, Jaune learned how to contract with spirits of nature to have their assistance and powers when he needs them.
- Time Master: He starts out with Acceleration, which alters his personal time to grant him Super Speed. Eventually he gains Tachyon, which is genuine time manipulation, and fuses his elementals into a Dimensional, which can move him short ways through time and space.
- Took a Level in Badass
- True Sight: In "Awakening", as a result of raising his base INT above 250, he gains Ajna, which lets him see not just the souls of others, but also the lingering presences attached to nonliving objects like clothing and houses.
- Tyke-Bomb: According to this piece of Word of God and later incorporated into the story proper, Jaune's soul is the result of ancient Babel experiments to weaponize powerful souls.
- Winged Humanoid: In "Sighted" Jaune makes his Conquest mode sprout functional wings.
- Badass Family: The Arcs. Papa Jacques and mama Isabella are elite even by Huntsman standards, all seven of Jaune's sisters are Huntresses too, with some matching or even surpassing their parents, and Jaune... Magikarp Power and From Nobody to Nightmare barely begin to describe his meteoric rise.
Isabella/Isabelle Arc nee RomaThe Earth, My Anvil
Jaune's mother, her semblance lets her change the temperature of things radically, she can melt down the ground into lava and then freeze it solid.
- Action Mom: Isabella is initially so far beyond him that when they first begin his Training from Hell, even with all his buffs active - the ones that let him beat Penny - she still Curb Stomps him over and over again.
- Older Than They Look: "Sleepless" reveals that she is in her sixties despite only looking in her late twenties.
Jacques ArcThe Thunder, My Hammer
Jaune's father. His Semblance gives him telekinesis over small objects in a large area and a great dexterity with them. He shows that he can use his power along with Dust to create powerful bombs of varied effects, he can also control the weather.
- Beware the Silly Ones: Jacques may be the joker of the Arc family, but he didn't get to be elite even by Huntsman standards - or even higher-levelled than Isabella - by wit alone, as he amply demonstrates in "Practice Mode".
- Drop the Hammer: His Weapon of Choice.
- Throw Down the Bomblet: His Semblance can be used to turn Dust into bombs.
Jeanne "the Halberd" RomaThe Wolves That Hunt the Moon and Sun
LV 164 (First encountered level unknown)
Jaune's maternal grandmother.
- Blade on a Stick: Her Weapon of Choice is a halberd bigger than herself.
- Fan Nickname: They call her Granny Gives No Fucks, and it's been called in-story too.
- Never Mess with Granny: Despite her age her level is one of the highest around.
Azure ArcRemnants of the Lost and Sunken City
Jaune's fifth oldest sister, her semblance lets her make water into autonomous blobs that build things, from simple glass blowing, to death lasers and giant walking fortresses.
'Unlike Sienna, she wore a light blue blouse and jeans, seeming to have already stored her jacket away in one of her bags instead of walking all this way carrying it. Her neck length hair was pulled back away from her face, and her smile was sunny. She didnt look much like a military scientist, but she did look just like I remembered her, down to the glasses that framed her blue eyes. Though last time I saw her, the glasses hadnt glowed or had quite so many buttons.'
- Making a Splash: Her Semblance is water-related.
- Summon Magic: She can turn water into amorphous creatures of various sizes. One is as big as a train.
Bianca ArcThe Light That Sears the Unrighteous
Jaune's oldest sister. Her Semblance allows her to create portals to Another Dimension, violently releasing light energy.
- Badass in a Nice Suit: When she first appears in "Increase" she is wearing a custom white suit with black tie.
- Inverse Law of Utility and Lethality: Her power is immensely destructive; even limiting the portal size to one finger lets through enough energy to wreck multiple blocks and send Jaune flying. Apparently her level is an understatement, because it takes into account the fact that she is very reluctant to use her power to the fullest.
- Light 'em Up: Her Semblance manifests as light. It even allows her to become light.
- Person of Mass Destruction: A use of her power could "burn a scar across Vale and kill thousands".
- True Sight: She can see people's Aura as a representation of who they truly are. The results for Azure and Jaune have a decidedly Eldritch Abomination feel about them.
Indigo ArcThe Shadows That Hunt the Night
Jaune's sixth oldest sister, her semblance lets her do stuff with her shadow, from using it as the sharpest blade to do wicked shadow play.
'She wore a light purple shirt beneath a black vest, pairing it with leather pants. Beneath her hat, her shoulder-length blonde hair was tied back clear of her blue eyes and a set of headphones lay hooked on her neck.'
- Absurd Cutting Power: Her shadows, being two-dimensional, can be weaponised to cut so well that monomolecular blades look dull next to them. Jaune suspects that, should she have wished it, she could have cut down their sisters, elite Huntresses all, with startling ease.
- Inverse Law of Utility and Lethality: Her shadows don't have anything between "harmlessly intangible" and "absolutely lethal". In a practice spar all she can really do is deliberately pull the blows to create papercuts.
- Living Shadow: She has one.
- Space Master: The official explanation for her Semblance. "Beneath everything else, Indigo is a space warper. More specifically, she is capable of manipulating the spacial dimensions of shadows in various ways, within a certain range. She can use this to make two dimensional blades from shadows and to connect shadows within her radius via higher-dimensional hallways, among various other things. A lot of that is colored or restricted by the specific form her Semblance takes, but that's roughly how that works."
Olivia ArcThe Queen of the Open Spaces Above the World
Jaune's youngest sister. Employed as a professor at Haven. Her Semblance lets her forcibly change the direction of anything within an area.
'Olivia appeared in the doorway to the living room, long golden hair falling down to the back of her green dress in neat ringlets.'
- Inertia Is a Harsh Mistress: She has defeated speedsters before by setting their direction to down so they faceplant at high speed.
Shani ArcThe Flames That Immolate the Damned
Jaune's third oldest sister. Twin to Sienna. Her Semblance lets her create disintegrating beams.
'To her side, Shani was dressed more casually in jeans and a red shirt'.
Sienna ArcThe Prison of Frozen Screams
Jaune's third oldest sister. Twin to Shani. Her Semblance lets her set areas to absolute zero instantly.
'She had a heavy coat and scarf hung over an arm and even with those removed, she wore a thick, long-sleeved shirt; a reminder of what the weather was like up in Atlas. She wasnt wearing the uniform shed been in in the pictures my sister had shown me, but her outfits colors were reminiscent of it, in greys and whites. She wore grey leggings, knee-high boots, and a dress skirt that looked like it had been ironed and pressed at some point.'
Violet ArcThe Chains That Bind the Earth and Sky
Jaune's second oldest sister, her semblance lets her control Lightning and become an avatar for it.
'Her hair was styled so that it hung to the right side and covered an eye, showing off the gleaming stud of an earring on her left in the process. She was wearing a shirt just a few shades off of Indigos, but she wore what seemed like an armored jacket over it. Metal plates were affixed to the cloth of her pants as well, guarding her shins and thighs.'
- Shock and Awe: She can generate and even become lightning.
- Technicolor Eyes: Her right eye has "the iris a bright and gleaming purple in contrast to the blue on the side, with jets of the color spiking out into the sclera."
Autumn RoseLeft Blooming Alone -> Who Would Inhabit This Bleak World Alone? -> Thus Kindly I Scatter -> The Last Rose of Summer
LV 123 (First encountered at 1)
A rose that gets its Aura awakened by Jaune in "Materials". She has slowly grown by feeding from the Aura that Jaune uses around her, eventually developing a conscious mind and shapeshifting abilities. Her Semblance, 'Gatherer', seems to focus on bringing things together, whether those things are traces of energy in her environment or other plants. She eventually creates a humanoid form, develops speech and is learning with the help of Jaune. She holds parts of Summer Rose's soul.
- The Assimilator: Her Semblance, as described above, lets her be this.
- Damaged Soul: Her original soul was only a fragment of Summer Rose's, and the incomplete nature of her soul has left her with a perpetual empty feeling that leaves her always feeling hungry. For more 'Light' to try and fill in the gaps.
- Elemental Shapeshifter: While Wood is not the usual in the basic elements, she can be considered one, being made of it all the time.
- Horror Hunger: Her Interlude reveals that Autumn is always hungry, due to the nature of her incomplete soul. The only thing that takes the edge off is when Jaune feeds her his Aura. She's contemplated taking the 'Light' of other people to try and fill the empty feeling she has, but resists the temptation.
- Metamorphosis Monster: While learning about her body she decided to not limit herself to two eyes, or just have them on the front of her head.
- Shapeshifter Baggage: She has consumed an astounding amount of other plants, but can shrink to small enough to fit on Gou.
- Shapeshifter Weapon: Has shown the ability to weaponize her own spine, or what should be there, and can also weaponize the many noxious plants she has consumed.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: Can change her body at will. She also gains abilities from the different plant species she consumes.
TiangouJust A Dog -> Mystic Dog -> Celestial Dog -> Heavenly Dog
LV 125 (First encountered at 1)
A dog, specifically an Atlesian Husky, Jaune rescues from the streets in "Touch" and awakens the Aura thereof. His Semblance, 'Tian', gives him the ability to grow in size and strength based on ones Vitality.
- A Dog Named "Dog": "Gou" is literally Chinese for "dog".
- Canis Major: In "Raising" he becomes larger than a car after 500 points are put into his Vitality. And he keeps on going.
- In-Series Nickname: Everyone just shortens his name to "Gou".
- Talking Animal: Became this after returning from the Conquest mission. The physical impossibility of it gets lampshaded by everyone he encounters.
Ruby RoseThe Red Rider
LV 70 (First encountered at 50)
Blake BelladonnaThe Beauty
LV 56 (First encountered at 34)
- Can't Catch Up: At the start of the story, Blake was far Jaune's superior. He quickly caught up, and once she left the White Fang and thus got off Jaune's Wild Ride, he got far, far ahead of her. By the time they next met in Beacon, Jaune was over twice her Level and, all things considered, several times that in terms of actual combat ability.
- Locked Out of the Loop: Once she left the White Fang and thus stopped regularly associating with Jaune, he never brought her into his secrets. When they next met, there was a lot of the truth she was not privy to.
Weiss SchneeThe Loneliest of All
LV 55 (First encountered at 31)
Yang XiaolongThe Sun That Chases the Night
LV 60 (First encountered at 42)
Team JNPR"Return" reveals that, lacking Jaune for obvious reasons, the empty position has been filled by a yet-unknown person.
Nora ValkyrieIn the Wake of the Storm
LV 60 (First encountered at 40)
Pyrrha NikosThe Invincible Girl
LV 68 (First encountered at 47)
Lie RenThe Flowers Blossom, the Fallen Wither
LV 55 (First encountered at 38)
A senior at Haven. Secretly the host of Famine, one of the Riders of Grimm.
- Combat Pragmatist: When Jaune hints that he knows the truth about her, her immediate response is to stop time, then use an attack that shreds the space occupied by the target. It would have killed Jaune if he didn't have his own time control abilities or immediately execute a Bavarian Fire Drill.
- One-Winged Angel: When she reveals her true form as Famine's host, she turns into a Dust crystal thing.
- Self-Made Orphan: She killed her stepmother and stepsisters.
Emerald SustraiThe Thief
Mercury BlackThe Butcher
NeopolitanA Spoonful of Sugar
- Master of Illusion: Or she would have liked to think so, if Jaune didn't just see right through it.
Roman TorchwickWill of the Torch
Adam TaurusThe Beast -> The Blood Prince
LV 126 (First encountered at 41)
- Adaptational Heroism: Thanks to Jaune's actions, in "Bar Games" he reveals that though the events of the Black Trailer went down anyway, this time around he didn't end up setting charges on the train. It helps that the decision to throw the White Fang's lot in with Cinder is out of his hands in this universe.
- Bodyguarding a Badass: The official reason for his presence at Haven is to serve as a bodyguard for Jaune, who of course doesn't really need it.
- Can't Catch Up: Jaune defies this by dragging him out to do grinding in "Sighted".
- Character Development: Many readers have noted that after all he's been through in TGWP, it's going to be hard getting reacquainted with canon!Adam when Volume Three comes by. These fears were borne out once Volume Three actually got released.
- Determined Defeatist: His Interlude reveals that he considers even making it to age ten to have been a miracle and he thinks he's been living on borrowed time ever since. That doesn't mean he's going to just lie down and die.
- Functional Addict: He is a hilariously functional drunkard.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: His Interlude reveals he suffers from this. Admittedly his lack of exotic Story Breaker Powers means he'll never be in the same league as Jaune, Ozpin or Raven, but by the time Jaune and co. hit Jericho Falls, he's otherwise so far beyond the average Huntsman that few people could take him in a fight.
- Overshadowed by Awesome: Adam's Interlude reveals that he thinks he's this as compared to the rest of his team. He's not a reincarnated Person of Mass Destruction from a precursor civilization (Jaune), one of the strongest Huntresses of her generation if not ever (Raven), a sort of-reincarnation of one of the preceding's peers (Autumn), or a seeming mythic beast reborn (Gou). He's just an above-average faunus who lacks a lot of the exotic things and just lucked out to be found by the right people.
- Personality Powers: Not outright stated but implied. At first, all he could do with his Semblance was take in energy and release it as an attack, reflecting how he let his frustration and hatred of the world build up and threw it back at society. He eventually learns to control the absorbed energy, first to buff his sword strikes and then to buff himself directly, reflecting how he changed to absorb the hurt and draw strength from it.
- The Snark Knight: Though not the most smart one, he holds himself quite well with Jaune.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: He quickly develops this relationship with Jaune.
Isaac FallowThe Taste in the Air
A snake faunus whose Semblance allows him to receive nearby radio signals. He skims and gathers information for his work as a White Fang-aligned information broker.
- Overshadowed by Awesome: He became obsolete once Jaune gained Extrasensory Perception, which allowed him to do what he did except even better.
TuksonWhite Fang Member
The owner of the bookstore Tuksons Book Trade. Formerly from Vacuo.
- Ascended Extra: He was a throwaway in canon.
James IronwoodThe Heart of the Machine
General and Headmaster of Atlas.
- Artificial Limbs: His right eye, arm and leg are prosthetics.
- Genius Bruiser: He's described as built like a battleship, with physical stats to match. Yet his Intelligence is also high enough to make him one of the finest minds in Atlas, if not all of Remnant.
Joseph PolendinaThe Toymaker
Perhaps the most brilliant scientist in Atlas.
- Squishy Wizard: Despite his low level his Intelligence is in the lower two hundreds. He's no Huntsman, though, and Jaune notes that his skill in a fight wasn't the point.
Penny PolendinaA Real Girl
LV 59 Level 113, as of "Spying".
A robot girl who owns a soul.
- Contractual Boss Immunity: Penny having Aura means Jaune can't just use his elementals to wreak havoc the way he can with normal Mecha-Mooks.
- Unskilled, but Strong: Statwise she is an absolute monster even by the standards of elite Huntsmen, but she is hampered by having little in the way of proper combat experience or skill.
Aaron BruiseAnd Ive Two Curling Stones
A first-year trainee Huntsman at Haven. His Semblance allows him to buff others, but not himself, for improved defensive and offensive abilities.
Albus ArcturusThe Once and Future King
A senior at Haven. His Semblance lets him set up rules, with transgressors automatically getting hurt.
- Always Someone Better: His weapon is a sword and sheath-turned-board. Like Jaune's, only cooler, as Adam unhelpfully points out.
- Armor-Piercing Attack: His Semblance is one of the few that ignores the Contractual Boss Immunity granted by Aura. Since most Huntsmen aren't that tough underneath the Aura, it's very potent.
- Expy: Of King Arthur.
- Power Glows: In "Victory March", Jaune learns that he has Aureola too.
Asimi AlexandriaThe Cruel Eyes of Fate
A junior at Haven and half-sister to Kyanos. She has a limited precognitive ability that can't see people or Aura-covered objects directly, only their effects on the surroundings.
- Expy: Of Cassandra.
Aspro VictrixThe Man Loved by the Stars
A junior at Haven. His Semblance is 'somewhere between unconscious fine telekinesis and probability manipulation... it was the type of thing that allowed him to run through a hail of bullets unscathed and land what would be lucky strikes if he didn't do them ten times in a row.'
- Expy: Of Aeneas.
- Overshadowed by Awesome: He held the previous record for winning (3 times) at the Mistral Regional Tournament until Pyrrha surpassed it.
Desher OzymandiasThe Worker of Despair
A senior at Haven. His Semblance causes things around him to unravel. Things unprotected by Aura crumble into dust near-instantly, while Aura is drained at a rapid rate.
- Expy: Of Ramesses II.
- "Instant Death" Radius: His Semblance, as explained above. The rate of Aura depletion is high enough that even Jaune, who has one of the largest reserves around, thinks it significant.
- Knife Nut: His weapon is a kopis.
Erythro ArgosThe Spear That Throws From Life
A junior at Haven.
- Expy: Of Diomedes.
Ethan BruiseIve Got Two Spears
A first-year trainee Huntsman at Haven. His Semblance allows him to buff others, but not himself, for improved accuracy, attack speed, and defense penetration.
Fionn FiammaThe Giants Causeway
A senior at Haven. His Semblance allows him to teleport, even into others.
- Expy: Of Fionn mac Cumhaill.
- In-Series Nickname: Prefers to be called "Finn".
- No Conservation of Energy: Invoked; he has the ability to absorb momentum and store it for later release. Jaune isn't sure if it's part of his Semblance or a separate ability.
- Spider-Sense: While every Huntsman has this to some extent, his is fast and precise enough that Jaune is concerned and makes him a nightmare to hit.
- Teleport Spam: He can teleport frequently enough to do this.
Foteino AtreusThe Resounding War Cry
- Expy: Of Menelaus.
Halkino IthacanThe Man of Twists and Turns
A junior at Haven.
- Expy: Of Odysseus.
Helen LaconicThe Face That Launched a Thousand Ships
A junior at Haven. Her Semblance allows her to subtly influence others' minds.
- Expy: Of Helen.
Itri BarcaThe Arrested Destiny
LV 60 (First encountered at 42)
Kaus ToxotesThe Trainer of Heroes
A teacher at Haven.
- Cool Old Guy: He is described as looking visibly aged, which says volumes about how old he must be on a Death World like Remnant where anyone worth talking about has Aura to retard the physical signs of aging.
- Expy: Of Chiron.
Kyanos AlexandriaHeir of the Conqueror -> The Glinting Helm and Driving Spear
LV 57 (First encountered at 34)
- Expy: Of Hector.
- Overshadowed by Awesome: As Ryuugi explains, he is powerful for his age and once made runner-up in the tournament, but when the competition is Pyrrha and Jaune...
Laurence BruiseIll Crush You to Bits, Body and Bones
A first-year trainee Huntsman at Haven. His Semblance is a self-buff that makes him bigger, faster, tougher, and stronger, increasing all his physical stats significantly with a number of physical changes.
Melania DelphosNymphs Shadow
LV 54 (First encountered at 31)
- Casting a Shadow: She sort of does this. Sort of in that she doesn't outright create darkness.
- Do Not Call Me "Paul": She prefers to be called "Melanie".
- Knife Nut: She uses a pair of knives.
Neptune VasiliasWho Dashes Against the Stones
LV 57 (First encountered at 41)
Porfyro AlexandriaThe Judge of Light
A junior at Haven and half-brother to Kyanos. His Semblance lets him manipulate the opacity of his surroundings.
- Expy: Of Paris.
Roland WhiteFor Every One, Fifteen
A senior at Haven.
- Expy: Of Roland.
Sage AgathiyarThe Mountain Thrower
LV 59 (First encountered at 45)
Scarlet NastenkaThe Crowned and Flowered Mirror
LV 58 (First encountered at 43)
Skoyro AtreusThe Wide-Ruling
A junior at Haven.
- Expy: Of Agamemnon.
Sun WukongThis Monkeys Gone To Heaven
A monkey Faunus who uses a Bo staff that can be extended or turned into a pair of shot-gun nunchakus. His semblance lets him create a pair of light clones who can fight and blow up, but he must stay still while using them.
- Expy: To the character of the same name from Journey to the West.
- Gun Fu: His weapon of choice is a Bo staff that turns into a pair of shotgun-nunchakus.
Toril GronnThe Bridge and the Toll
One of the first-year trainee Huntsmen at Haven.
- Huge Schoolgirl: She is taller and bigger than Jaune, who's no midget himself.
Ulaan KhaganHeir of the Scourge -> The Seventeenth Scourge
LV 60 (First encountered at 37)
The patriarch of the Alexandria Family. Pyrrha's godfather.
- The Big Guy: He is so huge that Jeanne can sit on one of his shoulders.
- Affably Evil: Isabella describes him as "courteous and intelligent and loyal and so polite that hed apologize to you for the necessity of hanging you up by your entrails."
- Badass Bookworm: He looks more like an accountant than a bodyguard, but Jaune figures he could not have gotten his level or Title without being an at least passable arsekicker.
Thetis NikosThe Terror of the Sea of Monsters
Carmine CordeliaThe Blade That Boils Flesh
A Huntress on Jacques's team.
- Absurdly Sharp Blade: She has a Whip Sword that easily cuts through everything it touches.
- No Conservation of Mass: Averted; when she uses her Semblance to vapourise water, the vapour remains there instead of being outright disintegrated, which Jaune uses against her.
Castanea BeechThe Four Walls and the Iron Ring
A Huntress on Isabella's team.
Keppel CordeliaThe Blood-Stained Snow
A Huntsman on Jacques's team.
- An Ice Person: Keppel's energy-absorbing Semblance usually causes ice formation as a side-effect.
Onyx AthelstanThe Seventh Spire
A Huntsman on Jacques's team.
- Dishing Out Dirt: He is a geokinetic. Part of his geokinesis is the ability to move himself through the earth quickly.
The usually-unflappable headmaster of Beacon.
- The Spook: As the story goes on, Jaune realises that he knows disturbingly little about who Ozpin really is. Even using his True Sight on Ozpin reveals nothing useful.
- Time Master: Jeanne claims this is his Semblance.
- World's Strongest Man: He might be the strongest character around, barring legendary Grimm which are more like Kaiju or Malkuth, who is something like an Eldritch Abomination or God Of Evil. Certainly, his Aura reserves must be monolithic; Ryuugi has revealed that a time-manipulation ability would consume a terrifying 100000 MP per moment of use just by itself, without counting any additional offensive or defensive Skills Ozpin might put into play.
Tenne CoupThe Silent Shot
One of the Huntsmen on Isabella's team.
- Pinball Projectile: His Semblance lets him telekinetically control small objects to do things that should normally be impossible with them.
Tyrian SourThe Four Gates on the Crimson River
One of the Huntsmen on Isabella's team.
Hei XiongLittle Black Bear
- Can't Catch Up: When Jaune meets him again in "Bar Games", he hasn't gained a single level since their last encounter.
Lie HuiWhat Falls, What Scatters
- Old Master: One of the last practitioners of the Black Turtle.
Melanie MalachiteSnow Covers the Bones
Miltiades MalachiteBlood Stains the Earth
One of the ten Archangels of Babel.
- Kill It with Fire: His favourite tactic, culminating in his ultimate Skill, Lucifer, which creates a star.
- Token Evil Teammate: He was the hatchetman of the Archangels, who would send him out when something or someone needed to be purged with extreme prejudice.
- "Uh-Oh" Eyes: When he got angry or upset, the reflections on his eyes would show smoke and burning corpses.
The result of Jaune fusing his 6 elementals. In contrast to them, Keter can speak clearly, at least to Jaune. They are described as an angel of 36 pair of wings, millions of eyes and mouths that manage to speak in perfect unison. They're the representation of Jaune's soul as his sister described something similar when checking him, and has kept most of their memories of the previous life as one of the ten Archangels of Babel. They've acted as expositor for a lot of information but still keeps secrets that they won't reveal till Jaune remembers their real name.
- Astonishingly Appropriate Appearance: When we finally see what he actually looked like in the past, Jaune notes that he looks more like an actor than a warrior, fitting with his powers.
- Body Horror: He has eyes and mouth everywhere, even ones as small as millimeters.
- For Science!: Was created in ancient times from harvesting the Keter off billions of people's souls.
- Scale of Scientific Sins: Not him, but his creators pretty much aimed to 7 in this one.
- Superpower Lottery: In his previous life he was a powerhouse even amongst the Archangels, having access to multiple sets of Combo Platter Powers, of which every power was implied to be high-tier.
- Teleport Spam: Due to the whole Light Elemental thing, he moves at, well, lightspeed. As a result, he seems to be constantly Flash Stepping even to Jaune's Super Senses.
- Theory of Narrative Causality: In his previous life, his power was to grant roles to others and benefit from that. For example, he could designate someone as a mentor so he could learn more effectively, or make someone part of his Protectorate so he would fight better in their defence.
One of the Riders of Grimm. A bacterial Grimm contained within Pandora Shells that infects victims, puppeting them.
- Card-Carrying Villain: Conquest is a rather unapologetic arsehole.
- Hive Mind: He is NOT this, though he looks like it at first.
- Horsemen of the Apocalypse: As the name suggests. He claims to also have been called Pestilence.
- Knight of Cerebus: Conquest's release shows how powerful and intelligent the Grimm really are compared to humanity. His powers make it very clear that the Grimm could have destroyed humanity long ago if they really wanted too and he engineers the deaths of powerful Hunters which includes Jaune's father.
- Monstrous Humanoid: What his infectees end up becoming.
- Pride: If his ego got any bigger it would start to leak out of his hosts.
- Time Abyss: He claims to have been responsible for the downfall of Babel, which was thousands of years ago.
- The Virus: He infects people and reprograms their Aura, transforming them into Grimm-like forms and using them as thralls. When they outlive their usefulness as combatants, they get transformed into more Pandora Shells to further spread the infection.
One of the Knights of Grimm. Vaguely serpentlike.
- Lightning Bruiser: For a monster so big that its teeth are larger than a man and with corresponding durability and power, it moves so fast that neither Jaune nor Onyx detect it coming.
- Wave Motion Gun: It has one, which is strong enough to blow open a Pandora Shell.
One of the four Riders of Grimm. His nature and power remain vague but he is suspected to be able to manipulate souls. He was responsible for cutting away a lot of Jaune's Past-Life Memories.
- The Dragon: He was the closest of the Riders to Malkuth.
- The Ghost: Despite being talked about a lot, he hasn't appeared onscreen.
- Story-Breaker Power: As revealed in the Tenth Interlude, he seemingly alone of all the Grimm has the ability to reach into the higher levels of the Sephirot.
GilgameshThe Devourer of the Tree of Life
One of the Knights of Grimm. A convincingly humanoid creature who has made his throne at Jericho Falls.
- Adaptive Ability: His power, Intelligent Design, takes this Up to Eleven. Instead of merely reactively adapting to threats, he can anticipate problems and actively transform himself to best deal with them.
- Affably Evil: He pauses several times during his fight with Jaune to critique the techniques he's using, even offering him advice on a few occasions, and after defeating four of the Elementals he courteously pauses and asks if Jaune wants to summon more, or fuse them together before they continue fighting.
- Cultured Warrior: Compared to the other Grimm. Unlike the Riders, he's been nothing but polite even when trying to kill Jaune, and he spent several peaceful instances debating philosophy with Jaune and Xihai.
- Disc-One Final Boss: Almost literally as Story One Final Boss. For all his power, he, as well as Malkuth sort of-possessing his body, are merely the final opponent of TGWP, with the defeat of Malkuth proper looking to be left for the sequel.
- It Can Think: While older Grimm are said to have intelligence, he is the first non-Rider to actually speak.
- Lightning Bruiser: He is so strong he can slam Jaune into the ground hard enough that the earth cracks for hundreds of metres around, so tough that three Brahmastras and a point-blank Lux Aeterna don't seriously hurt him, yet so fast that like Jaune the air catches fire when he moves.
- Malevolent Masked Men: He wears a porcelain-like mask sculpted with human features.
- The Pretty Guys Are Stronger: Apart from the Grimm skin and eyes, he looks convincingly human, yet he is one of the strongest Grimm ever.
- Super Toughness: He was not seriously hurt despite getting hit by three Brahmastras or a Lux Aeterna delivered via Face Palm Of Doom.
- Time Abyss: He is thousands of years old. So old that, as he reveals in "Field Effects", he saw Gevurah in action personally back in the days of Babel.
- Unobtainium: His Super Toughness is partially derived from his armour being made of another unnatural material. Jaune speculates that it's a foil to the stuff Kavacha uses, in that instead of being material from Above brought down to the Kingdom, it's material that originates from the Kingdom and has no basis Above.
The self-proclaimed creator and leader of the Grimm. One of the ten Archangels of Babel, who turned against Keter because he would not exterminate mankind to relieve him of his suffering.
- A Form You Are Comfortable With: When he first appears in "The Final Round", he shows up as an eldritch, black hole-like darkness. He quickly takes on a form best described as "Jaune but better looking". It turns out this is because he doesn't even remember what he originally looked like.
- Death of Personality: In "Breaking Down", we learn that being partially sealed away from reality has been eroding his identity, to the point that he doesn't even remember what he originally looked like. He's remarkably lucid for someone who's been cut off for thousands of years, but who knows how much longer he can keep it up - something that Jaune is perfectly happy to exploit.
- The Empath: In order to help alleviate his suffering from the memories of the people whose souls were used to make him, Keter helped him to split pieces of his soul off into the Creatures of Grimm. Unfortunately, this only gave him the ability to sense negative emotion.
- Faux Affably Evil: When he makes his reappearance in "Retort", he's much more amiable now that Jaune's regained a fair bit of his memories. It doesn't do anything to soften the fact that he's orchestrated the deaths of millions if not billions of humans or been personally responsible for killing Jacques.
- God Is Evil: He might not actually be omnipotent or omniscient, but he's close enough to it that there's little practical difference as far as the Huntsman on the ground is concerned... and unfortunately for all, he's a massive dick.
- Hidden Agenda Villain: No one knows if he has an endgame beyond tormenting Mankind, though Jaune is pretty sure he figures into it somewhere. It eventually turns out that he needed Keter to reincarnate as he was the only one who could set Malkuth free.
- Leaking Can of Evil: Despite being a Sealed Evil in a Can, he still retains massive indirect influence on the world via the Grimm, and the Projected Avatars he can create via Villain Override are still so powerful that the vast majority of Huntsmen would stand no chance.
- The Man Behind the Man: He's the creator of the Grimm. No one even knew he existed for much of the story, whether In-Universe or out.
- Nigh-Invulnerability: When he and Keter last fought, one of the rules he set made himself immune to damage by turning himself into a constant. Keter proved incapable of disproving it back then.
- Reality Warper: He can change the rules of the world. Most of the Grimm only can exist because he's making their physics-defying forms possible.
- Superpower Lottery: His reality warping is so powerful that he was a powerhouse even for an Archangel.
One of the Knights of Grimm. A birdlike Grimm so large it was able to masquerade as part of a mountain.
Raven's brother. A teacher at Signal.
- Sinister Scythe: His Weapon of Choice.
- Super Speed: He is so fast that he appears to Flash Step even to Jaune and his newly prestiged version of White Tiger's Five Hundred Years.
Raven BranwenMemories of the World Tree
LV 175 (First encountered level unknown, first known level 173)
A once-renowned Huntress gone rogue, now working with the White Fang to goals perhaps she alone fathoms. Birth mother of Yang. Can create portals of various sizes that allow her to either move between places instantaneously or spy on others near-undetectably, which may be her Semblance.
- Cool Sword: One with blades made of Dust.
- Go Mad from the Revelation: As a child she struggled to control the scrying capabilities of her powers, which would often overwhelm her mind and leave her bedridden from information overload that her brain couldn't process. She managed to stay sane, but came away very jaded towards humanity, as she now knew all the terrible things that people did behind closed doors.
- Lady of War: She fights in a very efficient manner, not moving unless it's necessary, and every time she strikes the Humbaba felt it.
- O.C. Stand-in: Technically her entire characterisation in TGWP is this as a large part of the story was written in the gap between Volumes Two and Three, meaning we know next to nothing about her canon self.
- Portal Cut: Raven has mastered every single variation of this, using it both offensively and defensively.We see the full applications of it against Malkuth in the final chapters.
- Thinking Up Portals: One of her abilities, as in canon. We first get to see it weaponised in "Raid".
- The Unfettered: In her pursuit of making a better world, she set aside her friends and family and stayed away despite knowing they wanted her back.
- With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility: Partially Deconstructed with Raven, who believed time and time again that because she saw the hidden evils of the world due to her Semblance she was obligated to use her strength to help make things better, even if it meant abandoning her family or becoming an outcast from the very society she wanted to help. All that it got her was a string of failures, and her abandoned family and friends thinking that she was dead.
- World's Strongest Man: She has to be somewhere in the absolute top tier, given that other top tier characters like Cinder and Ozpin are very worried whenever she enters the picture. In "Regrouping" Jaune finally gets to see her stats and sees that she's got the highest stat total of any human he's been able to see the stats of thus far, with Dexterity, Stamina and Strength all at least at 200. With the aid of Jaune's Skills she holds off Malkuth (granted, a shadow possessing Gilgamesh's body - still something that was giving Jaune a run for his money) long enough for Jaune to regroup.
Ex-husband of Raven and Summer. Father of Yang and Ruby.