This is the characters page for "The Forsaken Children".
Leon Kender'sOriginally a college student in Los Angeles, Leon becomes a knight when he meets the Forsaken Children.
- The Ace: Subverted in the sense that while he does have his badass moments, he's still a pretty average guy.
- Gorgeous Garment Generation: Gains a costume reminiscent of a futuristic knigt's armor
- Heroes Prefer Swords: Gains a sword as his personal weapon.
- Knight in Shining Armor: What he becomes by the end of the first story.
- By the third story, he gains a costume that evokes this trope.
- Shout-Out: The scene where he tears the arm off of a plate giant is based on the climax of the fight between Beowulf and Grendel.
PeteA gnome changeling who founded the Forsaken Children, Pete is a natural born leader.
- Badass Beard: Well, badass goatee anyway.
- Berserk Button: For the love of all that is holy, do not hurt Mary in anyway. Earnest learned that the hard way.
- Dishing Out Dirt: Being a gnome changeling, earth magic comes naturally.
- Drop the Hammer: His preferred weapon.
- Meaningful Name: "Pete" comes from the word peat, a type of soil formed from decomposing plants in swamps.
- Official Couple: With Mary.
AshA salamander changeling and Pete's oldest friend, he is the group's strategist.
- Exposition Fairy: Whenever one of the human characters has a question, Ash is usually the one to explain it.
- Kill It with Fire: Fire magic comes naturally to Ash as a salamander changeling.
- Lizard Folk: His appearance evokes this, with his elongated torso and long tail.
- Meaningful Name
- Multi-Armed and Dangerous: In his true form, he has six arms ending in clawed hands.
- Only Sane Man: Of all the changeling's in the group, he's the most normal.
- Power Fist: His weapon of choice is a set of gauntlets covered in flames.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The blue to Ray's red.
RayA thundhare changeling, Ray is the heavy hitter of the group. He was also the one that helped Pete create the Forsaken Children.
- Ax-Crazy: Ray is always the first to go charging into a fight.
- Berserk Button: He really hates it when mundane people bring up the moral ambiguity of the changeling process.
- Blade on a Stick: His preferred weapon.
- Broken Bird: While the changeling's all have pretty tragic back stories, it's implied that Ray was almost raped by a pedophile priest before he was taken to the magus world.
- Chivalrous Pervert: Well he certainly likes to watch, especially Pete and Mary as shown in the second story.
- Hair-Raising Hare: Has floppy rabbit ears and is a complete lunatic.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: He's crude, rude, violent, and pervy; but he certainly knows right from wrong, and he certainly won't let anything hurt his friends.
- Meaningful Name: Comes from Ray-o-vac, a brand of batteries.
- Manchild: The least mature of the changelings.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The volatile red to Ash's calculating blue.
- Shock and Awe: Knows a fair amount of electric magic, given that he's a thundhare changeling.
- Slap-Slap-Kiss: Said to be in an on again, of again relationship with a leucrota changeling named Vicky.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Ash, Leon, and Herman.
MaryAn undine changeling, she is Pete's girlfriend.
- Acrofatic: She maybe curvy, but she is incredibly agile.
- Big Beautiful Woman: She has often been described as being curvy and voluptuous.
- Cute Monster Girl: Other than her webbed hands, fins, and beak like teeth, she's pretty attractive.
- Katanas Are Better: Her weapon of choice.
- Official Couple: With Pete.
- Making a Splash: As an undine changeling, she is gifted with water magic.
- Meaningful Name: Comes from the French word for sea, mar.
- Pet the Dog: Towards the end of the first story when Leon had pissed off all the male changelings, Mary (who wasn't offended by his comments about the changeling process), quickly followed after him and apologized for them.
- Wicked Step Mother: Mary has said that when she was still human, she was adopted by a woman just to be given to her matron elemental as an alternative to the woman's daughter.
Herman SchwartzLeon's roommate and a huge fan of the fantastic. Introduced in the second story.
- Adorkable: Everything from his appearance to his obsession with tabletop Role Playing Games sells this. Even more so when he finds out he's a wizard and that magic is real.
- Butt-Monkey: Where do we even begin?
- At the start of the second story, he accidentally walks in on Pete and Mary having sex in his closet.
- Later, while the group is trying to figure out whether or not he's actually a wizard or not, Ray accomplishes this by literally throwing a book at him.
- Gorgeous Garment Generation: Gains a costume reminiscent of the Phantom of the opera, a plague doctor, and a modernized wizard.
- Pure Energy: This seems to be the type of magic he can use, using it to trap an oncoming book inside an energy bubble.
- Squishy Wizard: What he becomes.
SlatePete's patron elemental, he serves as the overseer of the Forsaken Children.
- Badass Beard: And it's prehensile too.
- Dishing Out Dirt: Pretty obvious, seeing as he's an earth elemental.
- Meaningful Name: from slate rock.
- Parental Substitute: With his human parents dead, Pete sees Slate as the closest thing he has to a father.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: He seems very understanding of the changelings' various issues.
- Sad Clown: While he does seem to be an upbeat person, word of God says that Slate is dealing with some emotional turmoil and guilt, what with being a fetcher (an elemental whose job it is to kidnap human children to create new changeling's).
- Team Dad: Seems to see the changeling's as children, and is quick to make sure they're safe.
RhombusOne of the leaders of the Fetcher's Union and a close friend of Slate's.
- Blue Blood: He certainly is polite and courteous.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Even though the group failed their mission to steal the Necronomicon, he's more than pleased with the results, stating that what they've recorded will help the Union plan for a future counterattack.
- Silicon-Based Life: Being a prismatic, he has a crystalline appearance to him.
Earnest BlackdaleThe son of the dean of Blackdale Academy, the descendent of the school's founder, and the heir to the Necronomicon.
- Affably Evil: When he's not angry or trying to kill anyone, Earnest is rather polite, even playful, with his enemies.
- Berserk Button: Never imply that he doesn't know what he's doing with the Necronomicon. If he doesn't give you a reason you suck speech, you're already screwed.
- Cigarette of Anxiety: He usually smokes to deal with stress.
- Creepy Crows: His true, wiccan form has features of a crow.
- Even Bad Men Love Their Mamas: A large majority of what he does is motivated by wanting to avenge his mom's death at his dad's hands. Granted his mom is actually a witch.
- Evil Is Bigger: He stands at 6"8', weighs in at 280 lbs., and is a completely heartless bastard.
- Evil Sounds Deep: He's described as being husky voiced.
- Fat Bastard: He's huge, prideful, hateful, and completely untrusting of others; and that's before we find out about the Necronomicon.
- Humanoid Abomination: He and his dad are revealed to be wiccans (half human, half witch hybrids that are just as monstrous they look.
- Jerkass: And how.
- Lecherous Licking: Subverted in that while he doesn't actually lick anyone, he does lick his lips a lot when he has perverted thoughts, or is about to rape someone like Mary or Arlene.
- MadonnaWhore Complex: Sees his mom as the most perfect being in the world, while everyone else sees her as the murderous, cannibalistic witch that she really was.
- Man of Wealth and Taste: He certainly dresses smartly and has the money to back it up.
- Pride: One of his major flaws.
- Properly Paranoid: Yes, accusing a group of strangers that he's never met before of being thieves is pretty dickish, but then again it's hard to blame him, considering his house was broken into last night. That and the fact that the strangers in question were the changelings trying to steal the Necronomicon from him.
- Softspoken Sadist: While not seen in story, it is implied that he enjoys giving pain to others, as seen when he was excited about using a spell that inflicts both mental and physical pain.
Arlene LuneA French foreign exchange student that Leon is in love with.
- Act of True Love: When given the choice between exposing Earnest as the monster he truly is, or deleting the evidence to protect Leon, she gladly chose the latter.
- Action Girl
- Automatic Crossbow: Her weapon of choice.
- Big Damn Hero: Fired an arrow into Earnest's leg before he was able to kill Leon.
- Cannot Spit It Out: Well, Leon couldn't anyway. Arlene, however, was only glad to oblige.
- Classy Cat-Burglar: Revealed to be one by the end of the third story.
- Everyone Looks Sexier If French: Well, that seems to be what Leon thinks.
- Gratuitous French: She does this some time.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: She's blonde, and is a kind person.
- The Witch Hunter: Revealed to be a member of an entire guild of witch hunters.
Eustace BlackdaleEarnest's father and the dean of Blackdale Academy
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Revealed to have killed his wife to just to regain a normal life.
- However, considering that his wife was a witch, it's up for debate as to whether or not he did it for his own safety.
- Body Horror: His transformation into a monster was apparently so painful, that he ripped off his own scalp midway.
- Developing Doomed Characters: It's implied at the end of the second story that Earnest is planning to cast a spell on him that will warp him into a hideous guard beast.
- Hypocrite: Earnset is quick to point out his faults when he decided to surrender the Necronomicon to the Forsaken Children, even though he is more than happy to uphold the less savory aspects of their family heritage.
- Like Father, Unlike Son: He's gentle, lean, average sized, and willing to sacrifice the Necronomicon for the sake of the school, as opposed to Earnest, who's pretty much a fat, giant, power hungry jerkass.
- Noodle Incident: During Earnest's rant, he points out that Eustace did something to his wife. While it's never specified what he did, remembering it is enough to solidify Eustace's choice to give the Necronomicon to the Forsaken Children.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: When he finds out about the Forsaken Children's plans,he decides to give the Necronomicon to them, believing that the people they were working for would know how to deal with the magic within better than his family.
Hezekiah BlackdaleThe founder of Blackdale Academy.
- Overarching Villain: Not only was he the bearer of the Necronomicon, he also founded the college as a front to hold his cult meetings in peace.
- Posthumous Character: Died a few years after founding the college, when he accidentally blew up his head by delving too deep in the Necronomicon.
- Religion of Evil: Ran one based around the Necronomicon.
- Your Head A-Splode: What happened to him, while his followers were driven insane.