The main character of the story, Uhuru is an abnormally large lyonesse with red eyes and fur. She is the most recent of a long line of magical Red Queens, however is ignorant of her powers and lineage. It isnt until the Pale Ones rip apart her family and shatter her world does she learn who and what she really is...
- Action Girl: She much prefers to be a warrior than hunting and raising cubs, and fights a lot during the story.
- Barbarian Hero: She comes from a refugee pride considered savage by the Pale Ones and tries to take down their empire with mostly her strength.
- Battle Couple: With Tarute.
- Better to Die than Be Killed: She jumps of a cliff into the Tempest with Tarute to avoid capture by the Pale Ones
- Big Damn Heroes: Arrives with her Cavalry of the Dead in time to save Moyo from the Pale ones.
- Big "NO!": When it looks like she is going to be recaptured by the Pale Ones despite all of her efforts.
- Blood Magic: Like all of Lang'at's descendants.
- But Now I Must Go: She stays with a Barbari pride that offers her a chance to be one of their warriors, but she ultimately decides to head off into the Waste.
- The Chosen One: Not a Red Queen, the Red Queen, destined to destroy the Pale Ones.
- Damsel out of Distress: When Uhuru is captured by the Pale Ones, she saves herself as well as Tarute and escapes.
- Determinator: Why she changes her name. She will not stop until the Pale Ones are destroyed.
- Die or Fly: How her magic first activates.
- Dynamic Character
- Good Is Not Nice: Definitely not an All-Loving Hero, she will rein down hell on any who incur her wrath.
- Femininity Failure: Fails at traditional Lyonesse things.
- Fiery Redhead: She has a very fiery temperament and red fur.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: Quite fiery, to go along with the red of her eyes and fur.
- He's Not My Boyfriend: To Tarute. She might have had a relationship with him if he hadn't changed so much from the childhood friend she remembered, though; his insistence on her admitting his love for her only ruins her previous appreciation for her. [[spoiler: She does eventually fall in love with him after she realizes that his annoying personality is hiding the same loyal lyon she remembers.
- Hope Bringer: To an Entire continent, and even lands beyond.
- "I Know You're in There Somewhere" Fight: With Tarute right before they escape Chetna's prison.
- Iron Lady: Or rather, Iron Lyon.
- Kissing Cousins: What Uhuru and Vireka would've been if they have ended up together. Not that Vireka cares.
- Large and in Charge: Larger than Tarute, who is an average sized male, and she's The Leader.
- The Leader: Usually.
- Like Parent, Like Child: As far as personality goes, Uhuru has much in common with her father, who is stubborn and fiery like herself.
- Magic Knight: She has magical ability, which she sometimes uses to great effect, but she prefers her brute strength.
- Masculine Girl, Feminine Boy: Uhuru is quite masculine, to the point where she fails at traditionally feminine things. Tarute on the other hand is slender, flashy, and quite feminine in comparison.
- Meaningful Rename: After Lochan's death, she becomes Uru: diamond.
- Mighty Glacier: She's very strong and bulky but not very quick or agile.
- No Escape but Down: She and Tarute jump off a cliff into the Tempest to escape the Pale Ones, knowing she'll probably die.
- No One Could Survive That!: What the Pale Ones think when she jumps of a cliff with Tarute into the ocean.
- Offered the Crown: After she defeats Vireka.
- Please Wake Up: To Tarute after Vireka hits him with his magic.
- Powered Armor: When her Iron gets imbued with Sunfyre it literally eats through other metal.
- The Power of Love: How she uses the Heartfyre.
- Power of the Sun: She uses her Sunfyre-infused iron armor in battle.
- A Protagonist Shall Lead Them
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: She has red eyes in addition to red everything else, and she's not a lyonesse you want to mess with.
- Red Is Heroic: It is said that a Lyonesse of Red will bring the Pale Ones down. Of course, Uhuru is red all over.
- Secret Legacy: From both her mother's side and father's side, as Red Queens and Pales Ones Respectively.
- Spoiled Brat: Hotio sees her as this, which she is annoyed by, though she acknowledges that she has some of these tendencies. Character Development makes her definitively not this.
- Statuesque Stunner: Very large for a lioness.
- Sweet Polly Oliver: Wears Lochan's mane around her neck when she fights Vireka to appear more intimidating.
- Terror Hero: She wants to be as terrifying as possible to the Pale Ones to give her an advantage, using [[spoiler: Tati's skull, Lochan's mane, and her armor to this end.
- Tiny Guy, Huge Girl: The huge girl to Tarute's tiny guy.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Tomboy to Oni's Girly-girl.
- Took a Level in Badass: All her hardships turn her from clumsy oaf into seasoned, hardened warrior.
- Unskilled, but Strong: For the first half of the book
- The Usurper: To Vireka.
- You Killed My Father: Her reason for hunting down the Pale Ones is that they killed Hotio and Koto, as well as the kidnapping the rest of her family..
TaruteThe childhood friend and love interest of Uhuru, who accompanies her throughout the book. He is handsome, and knows it, but his vanity has Hidden Depths concerning Uhuru. After Vireka turns him into a monster, he seeks revenge on the white Lyon.
- Amazon Chaser
- Attention Whore
- Back from the Dead: After Vireka kills him in the climax, he is revived by the Heartfyre.
- Beauty to Beast
- Better to Die than Be Killed: Why he jumps of a cliff into the Tempest with Uhuru to avoid being captured by the Pale Ones.
- The Champion: To Uhuru.
- Disappeared Dad: Tarute's father is mentioned in passing as a Rogue male not part of the pride.
- Dying as Yourself: [[spoiler: No Ontological Inertia causes him to turn back into a lyon just as Vireka kills him, but he ends up recovering.
- Entitled to Have You: To Uhuru, being the only male in the pride she isn't related to.
- FaceMonster Turn: After Vireka turns him into a hound. Uhuru brings him back, but only in mind, not body.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: He acts very arrogant and callous towards Uhuru, who pegs him initially as just selfish and wanting her for power. However, he turns out to be a very kind lyon who always pulls through for Uhuru.
- Love Hungry: Guess who for?
- Love Interest: To Uhuru, though it is one-sided until later in the book.
- No Escape but Down: He and Uhuru jumpsoff a cliff into the Tempest to escape the Pale Ones, knowing she'll probably die.
- No One Could Survive That!: What the Pale Ones think when he jumps of a cliff with Uhuru into the ocean.
- Reforged into a Minion: Not even a mook, but a mount.
- The Reliable One: Tarute is the one constant in Uhuru's life as she goes through several hardships and persons.
- Sheep in Wolf's Clothing: Lyon in Hounds Clothing.
- Small Name, Big Ego
- She Is All Grown Up: Notices this about Uhuru.
- Undying Loyalty: Again, to Uhuru.
- Unstoppable Rage: Hurting Uhuru in while he's in hound form? Bad Idea.
Uhuru's father, and the leader of her pride before the Pale Ones attack. Hotio afforded Uhuru her red eyes, large size, and her shared blood with the Pale One royal line, giving her the magical powers inherent in it. She also inherits her stubborn, deterinmed streak from him, which assists her throughout the course of the story.
- Action Dad: Not that it counts for much.
- Blue Blood: By way of Kamaria, his and Koto's mother.
- For Your Own Good: Why he doesn't tell Uhuru about her magical abilities or the Pale Ones.
- Hair-Trigger Temper
- Killed Offscreen: Uhuru finds his and Luja's bodies when running back to her pride.
- Large and in Charge
- The Patriarch
- Perma-Stubble: Doesn't quite have a beard, but the fur of his chin is quite scruffy.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Red to Koto's blue.
- Stout Strength
- Straw Misogynist: Shades of this, regarding his daughter's want to become a warrior vs a hunter. Asta calls him on and then makes him eat his own words.
Koto is the brother of Hotio, and the Co-leader of the pride. While Hotio is all muscle and fire, Koto is more logic and thought. Like his brother he has magic in his blood, but uses a very mild form of it. Even then, he needs a charm to actually do it. Koto is not so secretive about their lineage, and when Uhuru asks questions, he answers as best he can.
- Benevolent Mage Ruler: Has only seeing abilities, though.
- Blood Magic
- Blue Blood: By way of their mother.
- Cool Uncle
- Deadly Deferred Conversation: He delays talking to Uhuru about the Pale Ones. [[Spoiler:At least he has the chance to give some important information before the Pale Ones attack...]]
- Foil: To Hotio.
- The Patriarch: Along with his brother.
- Reasonable Authority Figure
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Blue to Hotio's Red.
- Seers: Has minor precognitive abilities.
- Stupid Sacrifice: Uhuru notes that he would have been able to save Aja without dying, but he was too overwhelmed with grief about [[spoiler:Hotio's death.
AstaThe mother of Uhuru and Oni, though the only thing she affords her eldest daughter is her red pelt and tail tuft color. Asta is one of Hotio's wives, and unlike her mate and eldest daughter, she is calm and levelheaded, if a touch manipulative.
OniThe younger sister of Uhuru and second daughter to Hotio and Asta. She too is red, but more brownish hues instead the blood colors Uhuru has. Unlike her sister, she takes to traditional lyonesse roll with ease and shows promise as hunter. Her personality is more soft and passive, though if pushed, she can drum up a fire similar to her older sister.
- I Have You Now, My Pretty: To Vireka, for a short time.
- Defiant Captive: Until they threaten to harm Asta.
- Guilt Trip: Misplaced, but she still goes on one when Vireka starts burning things, looking for her.
- Replacement Goldfish: For Uhuru, to Vireka, after the mad lord accepts she is dead.
- Damsel in Distress
MoyoMoyo the son of Koto and Liwaza, and the eldest "cub" in the pride, older than both Uhuru and Tarute, who are just on the cusp of adulthood. He manages to escape alongside Oni and Aja when the pride finds a flaw in Jesiza's supervision of them.
- Heroic Sacrifice: He lets the Pale Ones chase him to save his pride, knowing this means his death, though Uru and the Guardians save him.
- Dark and Troubled Past: She has a dark past with the Pale Ones that is described in a supplemental work.
- Killed Offscreen
- Princess in Rags: She's descended from the line of royal Pale Ones, but lives in a refugee pride. Before that, she was her father's personal servant who wasn't allowed to tell anyone about her true heritage.
- Broken Bird: She's a cynical lyon who believes there's no hope of defeating the Pale Ones, but internally feels horrible due to not being able to have cubs and is kinder than most lyons know.
- Did You Think I Couldnt Feel: Most lyons tend to assume that she's just bitter and cruel, with no love for Hotio. After his death, she notes that that was never the case.
- Killed Offscreen
Endia and surrounding areas
A soft spoken and strikingly handsome male lyon from Endia, Prince Lochan serves as an ambassador to the Endian Empire and takes interest in Uhuru when he learns she may be from the lost continent of Afriik. Both curious and motivated by greed, he looks into this, intending to sell her should it prove true...at first.
- Aristocrats Are Evil: Has shades of this.
- "Ass" in Ambassador: Sometimes he can be this.
- Blue Blood: A minor prince.
- Blood Magic: Just like all Endian royalty.
- Cold-Blooded Torture: Subjected to this for who knows how long, on the command of his grandmother, when she finds out he's been keeping Uhuru as his own.
- Dark-Skinned Blonde: Has dark, chocolate fur and a pale, nearly white, blonde mane.
- Death Equals Redemption: Dies saving Uhuru's life after being overcome with crushing guilt about trying to steal her.
- Green Thumb: His gift is growing plants extremely quickly.
- If You Kill Him, You Will Be Just Like Him: Tells this to Uhuru in regards to her plans for destroying the Pale Ones' empire. Kodak calls him out on it.
- Ironic Name: He's not at all enthusiastic, but he renamed himself Lochan, meaning "bright eyes", precisely because of this. His original name, Layak, means "capable", and he notes this is also ironic.
- Modest Royalty
- Nemean Skinning: Modak does this to him after he dies. After being initially horrified, Uhuru wears his mane into battle during the confrontation with Vireka.
- Omni Glot: Speaks many languages, and pegs Uhuru's in just a few weeks
- Only in It for the Money: Why he takes an interest in Uhuru in the first place.
- Please Spare Him, My Liege!: Does this to try and get himself and Uhuru out of trouble. It does not work.
- Reasonable Authority Figure
- Royal Blood: He is the Empress's grandson.
- Stealing the Credit: He doesn't actually find Uhuru. Rather, he confiscates her from the Utans(Orangutans) who pulled from the ocean.
- Suicide Is Painless: When he is first introduced, he is considering killing himself just because his job is so boring.
- Taking the Bullet: When Yu Song and Tai Yang come to kill Uhuru and take her Fyrestone bracelet he jumps in front of a blade Tai Yang throws at Uhuru's chest.
- Was It All a Lie?: Gets this treatment from Uhuru, after she saves him.
- What Kind of Lame Power Is Heart, Anyway?: He never gets a major government role because a power in growing plants isn't very useful for royalty.
- The Wise Prince: However, crossing Uhuru probably wasn't very wise...
An old, beat up Lyon originally from Afriik, now settled in Endia after making it alive through the cursed Waste. At first just a cynical healer, he desires to go with Uhuru on her quest for revenge after it is revealed she is the fabled "Red Queen". He patches up a tortured Lochan and then betrays Yu Song as the two procure a boat to head to the edge of the Waste.
- Brutal Honesty: Does not mince words, especially if their not nice,
- Covered with Scars: From a life of slavery.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Glory Seeker: Part of why he goes with Uhuru — he wants to share in her fame.
- Grumpy Old Man
- Hero-Worshipper: To Uhuru.
- I Work Alone: Generally unenthused by other lions.
- The Medic
- Made a Slave: To the Pale ones. He is able to escape. His sister isn't so lucky.
- What the Hell, Hero?: He calls out Lochan and Ming Huo.
Ming Huo is a tiger native to Endia, who works as a blacksmith after she abandons Yu Song's crew. She takes an interest in Uhuru after she mentions that no one works Iron in Afriik, only bronze, and decides to follow her since her skill would be more valued there and people would be less likely to turn her away because of her gender.
- The Blacksmith
- Brutal Honesty: Doesn't mince words.
- Fire-Forged Friends: With Uhuru.
- Forging Scene: Two of them, Naturally.
- Grass Is Greener: In Afriik, for her smithing Talents.
- Innocent Bystander: Has nothing to do with Uhuru's quest. At first.
- Love Hurts: Used to feel something for Yu Song. Used to.
- Only in It for the Money: And promptly abandons Uhuru before the war starts.
- Sympathy for the Hero: When she finds out Uhuru has dealings with Yu Song.
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: Starts off as this, very briefly, with Uhuru.
Yu SongYu Song is a nastily scarred and extremely oily maltese Tigrisian native to Europa, who meets Uhuru in the Endian Empire's dungeons. He isn't so much interest in her as the bracelet she carries, falsely claiming he wants them pure for their aesthetic value. However, he sees power in them where Uhuru does not, and is the closest second the Vireka in terms of lethality.
- Ax-Crazy: More subtle than Vireka, but it's still there.
- Bad Boss: Is revealed to have drowned all but one of his crew to get Uhuru's bracelet.
- The Charmer: Has some degree of charm, though is fluctuates and is ultimately all a ruse.
- Covered in Scars
- Manipulative Bastard: Manipulates the tigrisians into following him and Uhuru into being forced to giving him the fyre stone bracelet, since he knows Lochan will betray her but Uhuru would never suspect this.
- Pirates: He's the captain of a pirate ship.
- Rebel Leader: The leader of the Tigrisian uprisings sparking all across Endia and threatening Lyon power.
- Spikes of Villainy: His armor has spikes to prevent enemies from leaping on his back.
- Staged Populist Uprising: Uses the tigrisians' grievances against the lions to form a rebellion for his own gain.
- Turncoat: To Uhuru, though they were hardly on the same side to start.
- Unholy Matrimony: With Tai Yang.
Tai YangThe Second, or first mate, of Yu Song. She is utterly loyal to him and just a hair less vicious as well as terribly possessive of the scarred blue tigrisian.
- The Dragon: To Yu Song.
- Groin Attack: Nearly does this to Yu Song.
- Mook Leuitenant
- Pirates: She's Yu Song's second on his pirate ship.
- The Rival: To Uhuru, for Yu Song's attention, though the former has no interest in the Tigrisian.
- Sleeping with the Boss
- Unholy Matrimony: With Yu Song.
NavyaNayva is a small lyonesse a part of Yu Song's crew. Injuries have terribly twisted her face, giving her a permanent squint and snarl.
- Gutted Like a Fish: Threatens to do this to Uhuru, but it doesn't work because she doesn't understand her slang. Yu Song kills her this way.
- Mooks: One of a crew of them.
- Too Dumb to Live: Winds up getting herself killed when she decides to get drunk instead of warn Yu Song about Uhuru's impending betrayal. Tai Yang guts her for this.
WulanThe Utan (orangutan) captain of a ship that rescues Uhuru and takes her to Endia.
- Punch-Clock Villain: She's a reasonable if sometimes strict captain in normal life, but is willing to turn in Lochan for his likely torture and execution to gain money and fame.
- Rewarded as a Traitor Deserves: Her plan to accuse Lochan of treason for withholding Uhuru's existence to Chetna backfires because Chetna imprisons her and Bambang for withholding that information themselves.
- Punch-Clock Villain: He's a very kind utan who is supportive of Wulan and helps nurse Uhuru back to health, but is willing to turn in Lochan for his likely torture and execution to gain money and fame.
- Rewarded as a Traitor Deserves: His support of Wulan's plan to accuse Lochan of treason for withholding Uhuru's existence to Chetna backfires because Chetna imprisons them both for withholding that information themselves.
- Blood Magic: Naturally, as one of Mōbōr's descendants.
- Dishing Out Dirt: Her magical gift is powers over the earth.
- Evil Matriarch: She's Lochan's grandmother and not a nice lyon at all, to her family or others.
- God Save Us from the Queen!: Well, the empress in this case.
- Minor Major Character: For the empress of Endia, she doesn't have that large a role.
- Small Role, Big Impact: She doesn't have much of a role in the story, but her actions set up the plot for much of the rest of the story.
Vireka is the Lord of the Pale Ones, an insane and cruel lyon, the latest of a line of them. He rules over near all of Afriik, and it's people with a suffocating grip, save the Lyons to the North who resist his rule and the Hynar (Hyena) to the south who do the same. Of the Pale Ones, he is the uncontested worst and vilest of them all.
- A God Am I: "Highest of the High, Holiest of the Holy."
- Admiring the Abomination: Does this when he turns Fuga into a hound.
- Aggressive Categorism: Thinks Uhuru is no threat because she is female, and makes the the cornerstone of many of his verbal offenses.
- Ambiguous Disorder: The way he jumps between being Hot-Blooded and The Stoic may be a nod to having a split-personality disorder. Also, Vireka is quite the narcissist, accosting and killing any who seem to doubt his superiority.
- The Assimilator: Could be considered this to Uhuru. He wanted to marry her and finally destroy her line so it could no longer be a threat to him as prophecy foretold.
- Bad Boss: Regularly abuses, tortures, and even kills his underlings, regardless of rank or previous loyalty/success.
- Believing Their Own Lies: Though whether the lies are truly his are up for debate. Regardless, Vireka thinks himself a true and proper god (he isn't) and a white lion (he isn't — not completely).
- Big Bad: The Primary big bad.
- Blood Magic: Like all of Lang'at's descendants.
- Blow You Away: His greatest magical talent is creating deadly, hurricane-force winds.
- Blue Blood
- Chaotic Evil: None of the evil his does is tempered; No, he goes over the top, each time and this only gets worse as his mind unravels throughout the book.
- Circling Monologue: does this to Fuga before he turns him into a Hound.
- The Conqueror
- Evil Albino: Leucistic, actually.
- Knight Templar: Believes his cause is just and will kill and torture anyone who disagrees.
- I Have You Now, My Pretty: When he captured Uhuru.
- Large Ham: Dominates any scene he's in, even when Uhuru is present.
- Light Is Not Good: A white lyon, and the worst character morally in the book.
- Magic Knight
- Matricide: Turns his mother into a Hound and later actually kills her.
- Nothing Can Stop Us Now!: When he gets the Coldfyre during the Final Battle. Of course, the audience knows that Nirnasha can stop him if he can get to the fire himself in time.
- Red Right Hand: Literally. His paw, much of his shoulder, and a few patches on his face, are red. The same red as Uhuru's fur. This is because both he and Uhuru are Mjane's descendants.
- Royally Screwed Up: All Pale Ones are like this — it's how they stay pale — but the Royal family, composed of nothing but white lyons, white being a very recessive gene, have it worst. And Vireka planned to perpetuate it by marrying and breeding Uhuru, later Oni, both of which are his cousins.
- Stalker with a Crush: When Vireka learns about Uhuru, he develops an unholy thirst for her, one that doesn't die even when she is presumed dead. It simply transfers to her sister, Oni.
- Sorcerous Overlord: He rules his empire by having the most powerful magic in the form of coldfyre.
- You Have Failed Me: Why he turns Fuga into a Hound.
Kanali is Vireka's commander, a second-in-command of sorts, and the lyon with with he has the most verbal (and physical) contact with. Like his leige, he is white, and the like the Pale Ones, he seeks to rid the world of "dirt-pelts", even if his loyalty does waver from time to time.
- The Dragon: This to Vireka.
- Evil Albino: Or rather leucistic.
- Eye Scream: Uhuru rips his eye out. In their confrontation in the climax, she does the same to his other eye.
- Extreme Doormat: Vireka heaps all kinds of abuse on Kanali, and never once does he retaliate.
- Jerkass: Mainly to Uhuru, because she mutilated his face.
- Light Is Not Good: White, but up there with the worst of the worst.
- Knight Templar
- Only Sane Man: When Vireka begins burning Afriik with the Coldfyre, trying to find Uhuru's sister, Kanali has half a thought to kill him via stabbing him (literally) in the back. However, he does not, unsure if he can.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: When Uhuru returns, he intends to repay her tenfold for stealing his eye and ear.
- Spikes of Villainy: Kanali's bronze armor.
- The Rival: To Uhuru,
FugaFuga is Vireka's former beast trainer. After one failure among millions of successes however, the Lord decides he's had enough.
- Butt-Monkey: Head Beast Tamer is not an envied position.
- Light Is Not Good
- No Sympathy
- You Have Failed Me: Why Vireka turns him into a Hound.
JezisaJezisa is Fuga's replacement, and though he doesn't like his "promotion", he does manage to succeed where Fuga failed.
- Got Volunteered: He only became Head Beast Tamer because the other candidates all extolled his virtues, all wanting to not be chosen themselves.
- Put Them All Out of My Misery: Part of why he uses Coldfyre on refugee prides, as seen in his narration.
Nirnasha is the great demonic presence roaming the Wastes, and the leader of the undead army dwelling there. He was a participant in the Great war between Mōbōr and his brother Tati ,later revealed the be the Great Black Lion himself. He is far bigger than any lyon has the right to be, decorated in the skeleton of another lyon he claims to be his father, Mōbōr.
- Abusive Precursors
- Ancient Evil
- The Atoner: He helps Uhuru to atone for his crimes in the war between Tati and Mōbōr many millennia ago.
- Bad Boss: When he was really alive.
- Bad Powers, Bad People: His gift is creating Animalistic Abominations, and as Mōbōr he certainly used this for evil purposes.
- Blood Knight
- Blood Magic
- Broken Ace: Practically indestructible, but he has nothing and is nothing but a monster.
- The Brute
- Cain and Abel: With Tati.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Despite being one of the more darker pelted lyons in the book, with dark grey fur, he is actually on Uhuru's side. However, when he was Mōbōr this is not the case.
- Death Seeker: He wants to find a way to die permanently.
- Evil Overlord: In life.
- Evil Sorceror: He has magic, and was once a horrible villain at his father Mōbōr's side and is actually Mōbōr himself.
- Evil Sounds Deep
- Kill It with Fire: The Sunfyre, specifically. Later, Indirectly from the Coldfyre.
- Meaningful Name: Nirnasha means "Deathless". Mōbōr means "Night".
- Noble Demon
- Red Eyes, Take Warning
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Implied to be this with Tati.
- Weapon of Choice: The Coldfyre.
- And I Must Scream: He's trapped in his body, which is only a skull, still conscious and unable to move.
- Benevolent Mage Ruler: He had as strong magic as his brother, but was much wiser about using it.
- Don't You Dare Pity Me!: He doesn't want to be pitied by Uhuru because he believed he brought his fate upon himself by using dark magic to create the waste.
- Heroic Albino: He is a leucistic (though not albino) lyon like his more unscrupulous descendants.
- Light Is Good: One of the only good white lyons.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: His last act of creating the Waste leads to the death of many, many animals on both sides, who are kept alive even as they rot, and leaves him with an even more miserable fate. Not to mention how Afriik is left isolated and at a lower technology level than Endia, Uropa and Shya.
- Posthumous Character: He died thousands of years before the start of the story, though plays a major role especially because he's not exactly dead.
- Taking You with Me: Used the sunfyre to destroy everyone in the future waste, including himself.