The protagonist. A decayed blob thing who is seemingly the only survivor in a post-apocalyptic world. After his favorite video game breaks, he sets out on journey to make a friend.
- Adorkable: Very much so. He's a video game nerd who makes awkward Let's Plays, has an adorable design and Rich Evans' dorky voice, and starts out in the game optimistically going out into the world to make a friend.
- Blob Monster
- Butt-Monkey: The game starts with his favorite video game breaking, forcing him to go out into the world where he dies over and over again, and when he finally reaches his "friend", the Earth dies twice to his dismay.
- Dark Is Not Evil: He's a pitch black color, and while he's more neutral than a full-blown hero, he means no harm and his only goal is finding someone to be friends with.
- Geek: He plays video games, and that's the only hobby we see him doing.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: He has a missing eye which is replaced by an "X", likely from some accident he had that cause him to lose an eye.
- I Love the Dead: He tries to befriend a dead body.
- Invisible Anatomy: He seems to lack arms, yet can play video games and hold things.
- I Just Want to Have Friends: His motive behind leaving his house. Of course, this only comes to mind because his favorite game cartridge broke. If you complete the intro cart without dying, he doesn't really care.
- Large Ham: When his game cartridge breaks and when he accidentally starts a second apocalypse.
- Sir Swears Alot: His Cluster F-Bomb at the beginning of the game shows that he doesn't have the cleanest mouth.
- This Loser Is You: A gamer who spent most of his time doing nothing but sitting around his house playing video games and making poorly-made Let's Plays, and only leaves the house when he decides he wants friends. Given that most of the people who play this game are gamers themselves...
- Was Once a Man: Apparently he was once a human before the apocalypse turned him into a blob.
Ash's "friend", which is really just a dead body he put together.
- Companion Cube: A corpse that Ash tries to befriend.
- Only Friend: To Ash, and he's not even alive.
- Scary Teeth: Perpetually shows off its jagged and unnatural teeth.
NPCs found throughout the game, who as their name suggest, are human skulls. They either give Ash advice on how to jump or just say random things.
- Dem Bones: Piles of bones who can talk. Though they don't seem to be full skeletons.
- Desert Skull: They are skulls who are scattered throughout the deserted world, and can talk.
- Oracular Head: Talking skulls that seemed to be left behind from the apocalypse.
NPCs found mostly in the secret rooms. They really don't help you with much other than provide random dialogue.
- Bedsheet Ghost: They look like white, translucent blobs.
- Cute Is Evil: The Cute Ghost."I may look cute but really I'm the one that haunts you. I'm the one that wakes you up at night with those past memories you'd like to forget, I'm the one that reminds you of your mistakes. I am death! Spooky huh? Really though remember when you got the phone call? Hahah! Gotcha!...See you in your dreams!"
- Expy: They look similar to Boos.
- Ghostly Gape: Some of them have oval-shaped, wide-open mouths, like the one in the picture.
- Malicious Misnaming: The Airship Ghost calls Ash "cancer boy".
- Our Ghosts Are Different
- Scary Teeth/Slasher Smile: The Airship Ghost sports this.
- Shout-Out: One of them resembles a Pac-Man ghost and says "waka waka", though he claims he's doing a Fozzie Bear impression.
Giant headblobs found throughout different levels. They teleport the player to Future levels.