open/close all folders
- All Amazons Want Hercules: It's heavily implied that all the Shadow Garden members are in love with Cid/Shadow and don't mind offering their bodies to him.
- Amazon Brigade: The Shadow Garden is composed solely of beautiful assassins with Cid being the exception as he is the leader.
- Battle Harem: They are an elite group of beautiful women assassins and they are in love with Cid.
- Broken Masquerade: Their plan is to uncover the truth about the Three Heroes and expose the Order of Diabolos for their crimes.
- Childhood Friends: Cid and the first Seven Shadows have been together since they were young.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Despite how sinister looking they are, the group are the ones that is saving their home from destruction.
- The Dreaded: They became such a threat that even the Diabolos Cult are afraid of them.
- Five-Man Band: Shadow Garden follows this trope among their core leadership.
- The Leader: Shadow, the founder and ideological "inspiration" of Shadow Garden.
- The Lancer: Alpha, Shadow's Number Two and the actual true believer in the mission of Shadow Garden.
- The Smart Guy: Gamma and Eta albeit in different ways. Eta is a pure researcher while Gamma possesses excellent business saavy, cunning and applied intelligence. She not only runs their front company but it is implied that Gamma is the driving force behind actualizing many of the concepts that Shadow mentioned only offhandedly.
- The Big Guy: Delta who is basically dumb muscle compared to the rest.
- The Chick: Beta and Epsilon who are effectively intelligence operatives that use their beautiful appearance as a tool in their missions.
- From Nobody to Nightmare: They look too frail and helpless to be any threat when they were kids. That is until Cid came, turned their despair to rage and directed it at the Diabolos Cult.
- Good Is Not Soft: They fight for justice, but they have no qualms of brutally torturing and killing their enemies.
- I Have No Daughter!: Several of their members suffered from Demon Possession which caused their families to disown them.
- N.G.O. Superpower: They have connections everywhere, have a formidable private army, and considerable resources and wealth thanks to their front organization Mitsugoshi Co.
- Rescue Romance: Many of the members fell in love for Cid who saves them, to the point of worship.
- Revenge: They joined Shadow Garden to avenge the suffering they went through.
- Spy Catsuit: Their uniforms doesn't leave much to the imagination.
- Undying Loyalty: Thanks to Rescue Romance.
- You Are Number 6: With the exception of Shadow, each of their members are given numbers.
- Accidental Hero: Cid made an entire organization of beautiful assassins from a lie. Ironically, that lie turns out to be true and he and his Shadow Garden are actually saving the world.
- Accidental Truth: Seems to be his super power, as any excuse he makes up for continuing with his Chuunibyou madness, including things like having to fight a secret demonic cult, ends up being completely true. Whether this is some sort of inadvertent Sherlock Scan ability or he's just insanely lucky is never made clear though.
- All the Other Reindeer: Almost Cid's entire goal; to be some nobody that is barely noticed at all. He fails at this hard.
- Badass Boast: After he and Shadow Garden were made public enemy # 1 by the Order of Diabolos, Shadow could only laugh it off and happily accepts what he considers to be a challenge.
- Shadow: If you can, bring to us all the sins of the world. We will bear it all! But nothing will change. We will still carry on doing what we ought to do.
- Berserk Button: There are two things that would put you on Cid's hit-list.
- Do not claim that he's running away.
- Don't ever get in the way of his dream.
- Chuunibyou: Cid suffers from an extreme case of this, dreaming of being "the true power in the shadows", wanting to be strong enough to destroy a nuke, and spending his evenings running around in a Badass Longcoat while acting like a giant Large Ham.
- Big Damn Heroes: The whole gimmick of Cid being the Eminence in Shadow is to strike when everyone least expect and turn the tide to the hero's favor using overwhelming power.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Cid is, putting it mildly, insane. His dream is to be the World's Strongest Man while pretending to be a Mook for no other reason than that it sounds cool to him, believes if he trains hard enough he can overcome Nuclear Weapons, and continues to believe the world-spanning Benevolent Conspiracy / Mega-Corp he has inadvertently formed is just his friends messing with him. However, he also is the World's Strongest Man through his endless amounts of hard work and enough of a Genius Ditz to identify people's true intentions and even actual evil conspiracies even when he thinks he's just making things up, and is managing to destroy an evil, world-spanning cult most people didn't even realize exist in his madness.
- Calling Your Bathroom Breaks: This is how he gets out of sticky situations. Unfortunately, a lot of students at Midgar Academy think this is his trait.
- Clueless Chick Magnet: Almost every women (including his Shadow Garden members who practically worships him) he encounters fell for him and his only interest is becoming the non existent Eminence of Shadow.
- Crazy Enough to Work: What did he come up with to defend himself against a nuke? Become the nuke!
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Despite how insane he is, Cid is actually one of the most competent fighters in the series.
- The Dog Was the Mastermind: What he is to everyone outside of his inner circle. He makes it a point that he looks like a weak and average student so that no one realizes he is a very powerful fighter running an N.G.O. Superpower.
- Everyone Has Standards: Cid maybe delusional and selfish but even he is slightly disgusted that Ruslan killed Sherry's mother.
- Fantastic Nuke: His insane solution to finding a way to fight something like nukes? Become a nuke. His most powerful attack basically focuses and condenses his mana and unleashes it in an explosion not unlike a small nuke. He even has a variant that heals instead of destroys.
- Genius Ditz: Delusions of grandeur aside, Cid is actually smart considering he has acting skills good enough to fool even the most sharp spellswords, able to discover the secret method in curing Possessed and creating the Slime suit and so on.
- The Gift: Subverted. Despite people believing his abilities are based on some kind of Artifact of Doom or Amplifier Artifact, in truth he just used knowledge from his past life as well as train very hard in secret.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Anytime he sees one of his friends making a ton of money off of something he told them about from his previous life, especially since he doesn't have that much money himself. Completely unaware that they are making that money for Shadow Garden and he has full access to the funds.
- Healing Hands: Cid possesses powerful healing magic as a consequence of his experiments with mana control. The same power that can cure the mana corruption also has rejuvenating effects. His most powerful healing ability is essentially a healing nuke that can even cure vampirism.
- Healing Shiv: Or rather, a healing nuke. One of his ultimate abilities has him focusing healing magic into such density it achieves a form of magical fission and explodes in every direction for blocks... healing anyone caught in the blast radius.
- Heroic Comedic Sociopath: He doesn't care at all about killing criminals, looting their bodies, using them as Unwitting Test Subjects for weapons, magic, and any other insane things he can think of in pursuit of his chuuni dreams. Although to be fair, they were vile scum.
- Idiot Hero: Cid is essentially this. After all, he is the guy who was so obsessed over a fantasy that he stripped himself naked and banged his head against a great tree.
- I Just Want to Be Special: Before getting reincarnated, he always wanted to be the hero that strikes within the shadows or The Eminence in the Shadows as he puts it.
- Invincible Hero: The best some of the strongest beings he fought against could do was force him to put a little more effort in fighting.
- Jobber: To increase his reputation as a mob character, Cid intends to take part in the Senbetsu Tournament, fights Rose and throw the fight. However, he was so focused on using all his techniques that he unintentionally made himself more noticeable to the class and attracted Sherry and Rose for pressing forward despite the odds against him.
- Kick the Son of a Bitch: Invoked, he specifically targets criminals to test his skills on. He even calls himself a bandit slayer.
- Locked Out of the Loop: Averted as the girls keep him up-to-date on all the details within Shadow Garden and their war with the Diablos cult. It's just the fact that he thinks they're making it all up to play into his fantasies that he usually forgets what they told him.
- Mad Scientist: He likes to experiment with his magic which is how he created the slime bodysuit and the cure for Demon Possession. He also experiments how to cure brain damage by using Doem as his unwilling test subject.
- Mary Tzu: In-universe. Everyone especially Shadow Garden and the Cult of Diabolos believe him to be a master strategist and fighter whose always several steps ahead of them, but in reality he knows the least what's actually going on and most of his contributions are just through coincidence.
- Mistaken for Badass: Downplayed. He is highly skilled in fighting but with strategy, just not to the extent that the Shadow Garden thinks of him as.
- Naked People Are Funny: Cid made a lengthy description of his training and his nudity while carrying them out.
- The One Guy: He is so far the only male member of Shadow Garden, despite no attempt on his part to make it that way. Somewhat justified by the fact the "possessed" the Diabolos Cult targets and Shadow Garden saves from them and then recruit appear to be exclusively female. As Diabolos herself was also female.
- One-Hit Kill: His special attack is the Taepodong, a move that disintegrates everything in contact with.
- One-Man Industrial Revolution: Accidentally. While hanging out with the rest of Shadow Garden as a child, he'd tell them half-remembered bits from documentaries he watched in his past life that covered economics, steam engines, and other things. The girls latched on to his every word and used them as inspiration to bring them to life in this world. Cid is rather disturbed that they were able to pull this off. It was thanks to this Gamma was able to create Mitsugoshi Co., selling Chocolate and Coffee as its top products.
- People Puppets: Cid develops a skill called Shadow Marionette. After reinforcing the abilities of the Vow of Black Rose, he takes control of their bodies. He helps direct the people he controls and improve their fighting skills when they were facing of against Ratja Count's forces.
- Pragmatic Hero: Despite training so hard to be practically invincible, he does realize that he can't take on things he would most likely die against such as guns or nuclear weapons.
- Quality over Quantity: Cid's stance is that one should nurture his/her abilities and skills rather than using huge amounts of magic and flail it around unnecessarily.
- Razor Floss: Using this primarily when he was as Jimina.
- Sherlock Scan: Played for Laughs. He uses a range of minor details like the nature of the "possessed" disease and fairy tales about a historical Evil Overlord to construct a convincing cover story for why he has to be such a Chuunibyou... that are in fact evidence pointing to an actual conspiracy that actually exists. Despite this, Cid continues to think he just made it all up and treats any additional evidence to its veracity as just attempts by other people to justify their own desires to be Chuuni.
- The Sleepless: He makes use of meditation techniques and magic to reduce his sleeping time to a fraction of the standard 8 hours most people rest to give himself more time to train, with some implication it may be exacerbating his Cloudcuckoolander lunacy even worse.
- Too Kinky to Torture: Played with. He allows himself to be tortured by investigators for nearly a week because he feels it adds to his image as a mob character, even though he could have easily killed his torturers or simply used his knowledge of healing magic to recover from all the damage they did to him instantly. In fact, as long as he believes it makes him more "mob-like", Cid will happily allow himself to beaten black and blue, stabbed, and one time even stopped his own heart for 10 minutes for the sake of what he called a "mob saves a main character event".
- Weak, but Skilled: He has far from the largest mana pool in the story, but he has the technology and technique to far outstrip the abilities of those with higher "specs". One illustration of this is his explanation of his slime sword vs. normal swords. A standard iron sword only has 10% mana usage efficiency, a high end mithril sword used by a normal expert has 50%, but the slime sword he invented has 99% efficiency. In other words, even his sword alone makes him capable of taking on a well-equipped expert with twice his magic power.Cid: Physical specs are determined by genetics, but techniques are determined by effort. That's why I, and the power in the shadows that I am aiming to be, would never lose in the area of technique.
- Weirdness Censor: Despite having a growing number of supporters, a large hall where he sits on a throne, a Mega-Corp created for him, and the constant new information of the Diabolos Cult, he still thinks that the girls are just his friends playing a game with him and going after mere bandits.
- World-Healing Wave: He can make his ability that mimics a Nuclear Explosion into a large healing spell instead.
- Wrong Genre Savvy: Cid believes he is the MOB of the story, when he's actually the main character.
Seven ShadowsThe first seven members who have joined Shadow Garden.
- A Mother to Her Men: Alpha cherishes her friends. When she learned of Delta's disappearance, she got enraged to the point she heads out to assassinate the person who presumably killed her on her own to ensure no more of her dear friends get hurt.
- Asskicking Equals Authority: In Delta's flashback, Alpha gets challenged by Delta for the position of being second-in-command of Shadow Garden. It's unknown what happened but obviously, Alpha won since Delta loyally serves under her.
- Just seeing Alpha angry makes Delta quiver in fear and stops whatever she was doing prior.
- Beautiful All Along: Thanks to Cid's experiments, Alpha was restored and much to his surprise, Alpha's actually a beautiful young girl.
- Black-and-White Morality: Alpha admits to Gamma that she thought Shadow Garden was the force of good and the Diabolos Cult was the force of evil. However after listening in Shadow's Badass Boast, this inspires her to have Shadow Garden take any action, including illegal and shady ones to accomplish their goals even if meant having the entire world against them.
- Body Horror: When Cid discovered Alpha locked up in that cage, he described her looking like a lump of meat and was barely able to move at all. The manga shows some of the details. Her body looks severely rotten and there are some abnormal bumps or maybe even blood on some places with right arm and some parts of her hair relatively intact. And all she could say or tried to is a call for help. Here's what she looks like◊
- Childhood Friends: She is Cid's first friend following her rescue.
- Dramatic Unmask: In the Holy Ground arc, Alpha unveils her true identity to Alexia, Rose and Nelson, showing them that she is the hero, Olivie's descendant.
- Heroic BSoD: After she believes Shadow has betrayed her and Shadow Garden, Alpha lost the will to continue on with the cause. She regains her senses after learning that her master is actually a Reverse Mole.
- Hero-Worshipper: Alpha seems to hold some measure of respect for her ancestor.
- Identical Granddaughter: She heavily resembles her ancestor, Olivie.
- I Owe You My Life: As gratitude for saving her life, Alpha vows to Cid that she'll serve him. 5 years later, she's fulfilling that promise to its fullest, transforming Cid's Shadow Garden into the most powerful force in existence.
- Like Brother and Sister: Currently, this seems to be the case between Alpha and Cid compared to other members of Shadow Garden. However, there are subtle hints that it's the same like when Alpha asks Cid to treat her to Mag Ronald after Alexia's kidnapping is resolved and later in the Corporate Warfare arc when she expresses her true feelings and admiration about her master.
- Mercy Kill: Alpha properly kills the monster(Olba's daughter) from further Painful Transformation. It's also implied that she has done these many times before.
- Ms. Exposition: During the Holy Ground arc, Alpha reveals to everyone present the origin of the Three Heroes and the Order of Diabolos's true goal.
- Number Two: She was Cid's first member of Shadow Garden. She handles most of the operations whenever Cid is not around. When Cid takes over, his commands take precedence over Alpha's.
- Please Don't Leave Me: She begs Shadow not to abandon her even after he attacks her to unconsciousness.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: Upon learning who she really was, Alpha is completely enraged at the Cult of Diabolos for manipulating the truth that led to the persecution she and others like her had to suffer through. When she made her vow to join Cid and Shadow Garden, she declares this.Alpha: And bring upon these sinners THE DEATH THEY DESERVE.
- Step into the Blinding Fight: Alpha releases a red mist to hide inside and confuse Shadow. Once his guard is down, she strikes.
- Strength Equals Worthiness: Alpha believes if she proves her newfound strength, she could be worthy of her master's respect and able to learn why her master abandons her and Shadow Garden.
- Threat Backfire: After Iris warns her that she'll take her and Shadow Garden down for intervening in the knight order's business, Alpha belittles them for thinking they are worth her and her comrades' time and turns the conversation around by saying that the princess and her men are the ones intervening in their business.
- Took a Level in Badass: With help from Eta's research into demonic possession, Alpha is freely able to change her sword's form all the while maintaining its strength. She is also able to activate a red mist for camouflage. Cid took note of them and is impressed.
- Unwitting Test Subject: Cid initially wanted to sell Alpha to the Church until he changed his mind and experimented on her to increase his own power. Of course if he hadn't done it, Alpha would never have returned to her original elf form and would have stayed a piece of rotten meat till she died.
- World's Most Beautiful Woman: She is a golden haired Elf with a nice ample buxom and a sensual voice. Several others noted about her beauty.
- Wowing Cthulhu: She is one of the first individuals to ever impress Cid, using her new techniques to engage him to almost equal footing.
- You Are Not Alone: Alpha always advises Cid to trust her and Shadow Garden more when situations became too much for him.
- Badass Bookworm: Her favorite hobby is reading books and stories and her occupation is being a Femme Fatale Spy armed with about a hundred ways to kill an opponent.
- Beauty Mark: She has a mole underneath her eye. It has been used to signal Shadow Garden to start an operation.
- Big Breast Pride: She admires her large chest, especially that they surpass Alexia's cheap-looking ones.
- Blood Magic: By the end of the Red Moon arc, Beta gains the ability to manipulate blood much like the Queen of Blood's.
- Bodyguard Babe: The sole reason she befriended Rose and Alexia is to protect the two princesses from the Order of Diabolos.
- Bookworm: Beta's hobby is reading books and stories. It's revealed long ago, Beta felt remorse for killing, causing Cid to regale her about the stories from his old life. Not only did the method help Beta removed any trace of guilt in killing, this made her become the extremely loyal subordinate she is today.
- Childhood Friends: Beta was already acquainted with Alpha prior to both of them meeting Cid.
- Clark Kenting: Beta masquerades as Natsume-sensei, a famous author who writes popular stories based on the stories Cid told her about such as Red Riding Hood and Romeo and Juliet.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Beta severely dislikes Alexia for dating Cid for a while. She always makes attempts to ridicule the princess whenever they pair up and even removes her from her chronicle, placing herself as the Damsel in Distress her beloved master saves.
- Femme Fatale Spy: She's beautiful and looks very delicate that no one in the world could ever see her as dangerous, making her a great infiltration expert to get vital intel. Only Alexia at least sees that she's shady.
- Hot Librarian: Whenever she poses as Natsume-sensei.
- Hold the Line: Beta chooses to stay and fight Elizabeth until Shadow arrives to atone for letting Claire be severely injured by the Queen of Blood.
- Hostage Situation: Staged by herself and Shadow Garden. She lets herself be captured so that no one will suspect her to be involved with her comrades' actions.
- I Have Boobs, You Must Obey!: During the Trial of the Goddess, Beta(as Ms. Natsume) waves to the people causing a massive applause; it's implied they were reacting toward her large bosom much to Alexia's dismay and jealousy.
- I Should Write a Book About This: Throughout the series, Beta is writing a book based on Shadow's adventures. It's called 'The War Chronicles of Shadow-sama'.
- Ms. Fanservice: She is an Elf that is beautiful and a very large bust. Between her and Alexia, Beta/Natsume-sensei gets the most applause from the people of Midgar due to her sheer sex appeal.
- Mystical White Hair: She has short silver hair.
- Not So Different: Despite Beta coming from a different background, personality and so on co, she shares a lot of traits with Alexia and Rose due to all three of them wanting to bring peace and justice to their world and all three care/love Cid. Beta willingly acknowledges this after the fight between the latter two.
- Sexy Secretary: Whenever it's her turn to be with her beloved Shadow and she loves every minute of it.
- Shy Blue-Haired Girl: During the early days of Shadow Garden, she was initially terrified of her master until over time, she grew past that and revere him as a God-like being.
- Stalker Shrine: In her room, Beta has a wall covered with sketches of Shadow and his analects.
- Victoria's Secret Compartment: Beta hides her memo pad within her cleavage.
- We Will Meet Again: A heroic example. Beta informs the princess now fugitive, Rose that they will meet again. That came sooner since Beta made the arrangements to have the princess inducted into Shadow Garden.
- Aw, Look! They Really Do Love Each Other: Upon learning Delta's disappearance, Gamma is the most worried among everyone, thinking she might be killed.
- Chessmaster Sidekick: The reasons she remains in her position as a subordinate to Shadow is that she thinks her master is smarter than her and she is absolutely loyal to him.
- Entertainingly Wrong: Being somewhat Cid's apprentice, there are fantasies that Gamma perceives about her master and herself. But truthfully, it's exactly the opposite.
- Gamma personally believes that her intelligence pales in comparison to Shadow's. Which is false as the true genius is Gamma and Shadow is just the Idiot Hero.
- She thinks that Shadow's disappointment over her and Mitsugoshi Co is due to the company not meeting his expectations but actually, he is just jealous of them, believing that they are profiting from the knowledge he gave them and not giving him his cut which is not true at all as the company in fact belongs to him.
- She's ashamed that she had to bring personnel to locate the Shadow Garden impostors while her master has already figured out except he's thinking about someone who is completely innocent.
- Face Fault: She's not used to wearing high heels; causing her to fall onto the floor. This has become a Running Gag.
- Genius Bruiser: Although she is the weakest among the Seven Shadows, she compensates her faults by using her ability to analyze her enemy's strengths and weakness followed by overpowering them with her sheer speed and powerful and lethal sword strikes.
- Hardwork Hardly Works: She tries to improve on her martial art skills but after multiple attempts, she realizes that she isn't suited for fighting. This ends up subverted when Cid introduced a new path for her.
- Honest Corporate Executive: She ran the popular Mitsugoshi Co. She uses her position to help Cid with whatever he needs.
- Like Master,Like Servant: Unbeknownst to Gamma, she is quite alike to Shadow as they both do earn Achievements in Ignorance.
- Little Black Dress: Her first official appearance has her wearing a long dark dress attached to a checker that exposes her chest and back.
- Tears of Joy: Gamma enters in a state of bliss, crying in happiness whenever Cid uses his violet magic, reminding her of the time that power saved her from a life as a rotting corpse.
- The Smart Guy: Having being taught by Cid, she has become very intelligent. She is not only running a high-class business corporation but also acts as the strategist of Shadow Garden.
- The Strategist: Her role within Shadow Garden.
- Unskilled, but Strong: Despite having an enormous amount of mana, she lacks any kind of fighting skills to make use of it which why she is called the weakest among the Seven Shadows. Her assailants were even surprised someone with as much power as her lacks so much skill.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: She has a rivalry with Delta for disrespecting her regardless how high her rank is compared to the latter.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: The Elf sports long, dark-blue hair.
- Blood Knight: She revels in fighting much to her enemies' chagrin.
- Chainmail Bikini: Happens during the Holy Ground arc where Delta had to transform her slime bodysuit into bikini armor in order to control her magic.
- The Chief's Daughter: It's later revealed that Delta was the child of the chieftain of her tribe. She could have been made the next chieftain because of how strong she was compared to her other siblings but her tribe was patriarchal and does not allow a female member to become leader.
- Dumb Muscle: She is nearly the perfect superhuman but her sole flaw is that she is not that smart, having several occasions disobeying orders and charges into battle without thinking of any strategy.
- Expressive Ears: Delta's dog ears does this whenever she senses Cid.
- The Glomp: She loves to hug Cid whenever she sees him much to his annoyance.
- I Fight for the Strongest Side: She has born and raised under her race's belief that the strongest must be served and those that are considered weak must be dealt with. It's because of this mindset that she proposes to Cid that he should defeat her tribe's current leader and become chieftain. That and she wants to bear his child.
- Lightning Bruiser: She is a canine humanoid possessing superhuman strength and senses and has the speed to match them.
- Little Bit Beastly: Her race is the Dog Beastkin.
- Massive Numbered Siblings: Delta reveals to Cid that she has many brothers due to the many concubines her father mated with.
- Now That's Using Your Teeth!: Using her canines, she took a bite out of the greatsword a Nelson clone tries to use against her.
- Offing the Offspring: Delta was the offspring in that situation. After being ousted for having Demonic Possession, she was hunted by her own father but she was able to hide from him and escaped.
- Offscreen Moment of Awesome: Delta took on the task, given to her by Cid, in assassinating Tyrant. The battle was never shown but it's perfectly clear that the Dog Beastkin won as a later chapter reveals Alpha confirming that Yukime is the last remaining pillar of the Lawless City.
- Scarily Competent Tracker: Due to her race, she can track any target even from a very long distance.
- Slasher Smile: She sports this whenever she's on the hunt.
- Third-Person Person: Delta refers to herself in the third person.
- Secret Keeper: Under orders from Shadow, Delta keeps his involvement in the Corporate Warfare confidential from Shadow Garden.
- Sibling Murder: Delta kills her brother, Ole, after he made himself look absolutely weak in her eyes.
- Tranquil Fury: While Delta seemingly didn't react much upon meeting her older brother again but her tail gives Cid and the readers an indication that thing's about to go really bad. The tail takes a more threatening stance as the conversation goes on; the knowledge of meeting one of the people that forced her into exile, said person working with the enemy and begging to her to be spared by offering her to be made the enemy's concubine. Delta was fed up with this and wasted no time beheading her older brother.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: She has a rivalry with Gamma.
- A-Cup Angst: Epsilon is very conscious about her looks since it doesn't helps her seduce her beloved Shadow. It's revealed that she and all female members of her bloodline possesses slender but flat bodies.
- Affectionate Gesture to the Head: After she convinces Shadow to allow her to look after Emilia, Epsilon receives a head pat from her master.
- Always Someone Better: Both played straight and Played for Laughs. She is beaten in martial arts thanks to Delta, beaten in intellect thanks to Gamma and as for charms, Beta beats her by a long shot due to many, many factors.
- Better to Die than Be Killed: About to be captured, Epsilon prepares to kill herself rather than let the Diabolos cult get any information out of her. Thankfully, her master saves her.
- Death Glare: Sports this towards anyone who she thinks saw her secret.
- Determinator: Even after receiving a massive wound, she manages to elude from the cult members that was chasing her and finally reaches to a place to hide until Cid came to back her up.
- Elegant Classical Musician: She works as a pianist using songs her master told her about.
- Irony: Epsilon tries to hide the secret from everyone, particularly Cid that she pads her chest with the slimes to make herself look like she has large breasts. Unfortunately, Cid already knows the secret but chooses not to say it, believing that Epsilon is developing her abilities.
- Fake Boobs: Her main drive in developing her Slime suit.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Despite coming off as snobbish and rude to most of Shadow Garden and in general, everyone not her master, Epsilon truly believes in the her organization's cause and genuinely sympathizes with Emilia due to their shared circumstances as victims of Demonic Possession and she is willing to beg her beloved Shadow to spare the girl so that she can be given another chance in life.
- Large Ham: Whenever she starts praising her master. As Cid put its, she's the kind of person that exaggerates.
- Master of One Magic: She is an expert on magic control, earning the title The Precise. The fact that she has maintained her Impossible Hourglass Figure disguise for years shows the level of skill she possesses. Her primary use of her magic is a slicing attack which she sends straight at opponents, decapitating them.
- Ms. Fanservice: Epsilon's beauty and physique made even models jealous. The physique part is later subverted. Epsilon actually uses her Slime Suit to alter her rear to be shapely, tighten her stomach, increase her height and created large fake breasts to look like a mature woman.
- My Suit Is Also Super: Epsilon's Slime Suit became this after she experimented on it multiple times. Thanks to her thick slime padding all over her body, she has high physical defense. This is what saves her from Venom's sneak attack and later Mordred's.
- Pride: This is a trait that she still retained from her heritage despite no longer being part of it. Whenever Cid compliments her, she can be unbearable to even her comrades in Shadow Garden.
- Relatively Flimsy Excuse: Epsilon's cover story when joining Black Rose is that she (now he) is Cid's younger brother who wants to be alongside him.
- Riches to Rags: Epsilon was once an Elven noble with everything handed to her on a silver platter. She took pride on her heritage. That is until she is discovered to have the demonic possession and was cast out and hunted down like an animal. By the time she reaches her mutation stage, Epsilon's mind is filled with revenge and wants to get even with everyone who has betrayed her.
- Sweet Polly Oliver: Epsilon uses her Slime Suit to masked herself as a young boy. Her cover story is that she is Cid's younger brother who wants to join the Vow of Black Rose.
- Through His Stomach: While joining with Cid, Epsilon cook a rabbit for him. She was ecstatic that he find it delicious.
- Unknown Rival: Epsilon sees Beta as a rival for her master's affections and tries to compete with her. But the latter couldn't care less until Epsilon sports "breasts" that challenge her's.
- The Worf Effect: Epsilon became the first of the Seven Shadows to be seriously wounded in battle to show the threat of Mordred.
- The Ghost: Zeta should exist since they are called the Seven Shadows, Zeta is the sixth letter in the Greek Alphabet, and Eta (the seventh letter of the Greek Alphabet) was mentioned, but she currently isn't even mentioned in the story.
Eta/ Eta Lloyd Wright
- Omnidisciplinary Scientist: She is the primary researcher of the demon, Diabolos, creating new magical techniques based on the information collected and also easily able to decode Cid's message that is using five different languages.
- Rich Genius: Her secret identity is regarded as a genius architect that won Architect of the Year.
- She Who Must Not Be Seen: Eta is only mentioned several times by Shadow Garden.
Other Shadow Garden members
- Cute and Psycho: Can keep a cute and pleasant smile on her face even as she cuts the fingers off your hand.
- Everyone Went to School Together: Nu is once a student of Midgar Academy and is implied to be Cid's classmate.
- Extreme Door Mat: In the past, she complies with everything her parents told her to do. After joining Cid, she decides to be more independent.
- Hyper-Competent Sidekick: This to Gamma.
- Master of Disguise: She is an expert in disguising her figure to avoid detection and infiltrate enemy bases.
- I Have No Son!: Nu's family disowned her following the discovery of her demonic possession condition. They also erase her from the genealogy for further measure.
- Magic Plastic Surgery: She alters slimes to change people's faces. She did this to turn Cid into Jimina.
- Mutilation Interrogation: Seems to be Shadow Garden's Interrogation Specialist, and she will use any means to get information out of members of the Diabolos Cult. And if you soil Shadow's name, expect Cold-Blooded Torture as a mercy.
- Pet the Dog: After discovering her defeated former fiancee, Nu contemplates whether to find out if he's alive or just leave him for dead. Ultimately, she decides to check him for a heartbeat and confirms he is alive. In the manga however, Nu did it only to be sure if he's conscious and learned Shadow's identity and if he did, she won't hesitate to kill him.
- She's Got Legs: One of the chapters focusing on her details her lovely legs. Even its part of the title.
- Slasher Smile: As she's about to proceed on torturing a Shadow Garden impostor.
- Vague Age: When Cid asks her how old she is, she just states "It's a secret". Although since she mentions that she once attended Midgar Academy, it's possible she's the same age as Cid or a little older than him.
- Violently Protective Girlfriend: She plans on beating up a Midgar Academy student for ruining her quality time with Cid. Prior to that, she performed Cold-Blooded Torture on a cult member for soiling Shadow's good name.
- Way prior to all those two, Nu took notice of Cid getting teased for being dumped by the princess. Her solution is to personally request and escort Cid to take a survey and leave his two friends in the dust. To add insult to injury, Nu subtly mocks them while doing so.
- Dark-Skinned Blonde: She's actually a Dark Elf.
- Drill Sergeant Nasty: Rose has a first-hand experience in it.
- The Leader: She became in charge of a team comprised of herself, 665 and 666.
- Butt-Monkey: Nothing goes her way even when she's in charge. There is no mission where she makes it out unscathed.
- Only Sane Man: She feels she is this when leading her team.
- Those Two Girls: She's one of Rose/666's teammates.
- Butt-Monkey: Granted she was facing some tough opponents, the end result is always her suffering major injuries.
- The Medic: She's at least knowledgeable enough to know Claire's injuries are severe that needs medical attention.
- Those Two Girls: She's one of Rose/666's teammates.
666Rose Oriana after assassinating her father was forced into exile and as a result became a member of Shadow Garden and was given the new name 666. For more tropes belonging to her character look under the folder "Midgar Royal Spellsword Academy".
- Relatively Flimsy Excuse: Much like Epsilon's where she is one of Cid's relatives.
- Socially Awkward Hero: Cid believes this to be the case for Kai even though she was just behaving what a subordinate should do. Although, the Secret Test of Character he gave does show that assessment is not completely wrong.
- Those Two Girls: She and Omega are Epsilon's loyal subordinates.
- Half-Human Hybrid: Omega is noted to be a Half Elf.
- Mismatched Eyes: One eye is gold in color. The other is silver.
- Relatively Flimsy Excuse: Much like Epsilon's where she is one of Cid's relatives.
- Socially Awkward Hero: Cid believes this to be the case for Omega even though she was just behaving what a subordinate should do. Although, the Secret Test of Character he gave does show that assessment is not completely wrong.
- The Quiet One: Mentioned by Cid.
- Those Two Girls: She and Kai are Epsilon's loyal subordinates.
- Academic Alpha Bitch: Despite looking like the Ojou, she is actually condescending and rude and her whole act is to maintain her image. The only people who knows this is Cid and possibly the rest of Shadow Garden.
- Always Second Best: She feels that she is second best compared to her sister. The reason for this is because of a compliment Iris gave to her which the latter misinterprets. It's only during witnessing Shadow's battle with Zenon that Alexia realizes what her sister truly meant.
- Cassandra Truth: She tries to warn Iris just how dangerous Shadow is but her sister merely thinks that he must be carrying some sort of artifact to boost his abilities. That will soon change.
- Damsel in Distress: She got kidnapped by Zenon who wanted to use her for the Diabolos Cult's experiments.
- Declaration of Protection: Despite being scared out of her wit confronting Shadow, she announces that she'll protect her sister and her only friend (Cid) from him. Unknowingly, Cid is Shadow.
- Deliberate Injury Gambit: She does this to lower the guard of the Shadow Garden impostors.
- Double Standard: Abuse, Female on Male: She does this to Cid.
- Fake Relationship: She gets Cid to be on a relationship with her to prevent an Arranged Marriage.
- Hate at First Sight: Almost immediately dislikes Natsume-sensei aka Beta upon meeting her. This is because she instinctively realized that Natsume-sensei was also putting on a fake persona just like Alexia. Natsume-sensei having a more pronounced bosom doesn't help, especially when she catches Natsume-sensei smirking at Alexia's own attempt to show off her chest.
- Informed Attractiveness: She is indeed cute but compared to Shadow Garden's women, she is average at best. This is lampshaded by Cid and Natsume-sensei/Beta, the latter calling her cheap.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Despite how she badly treats Cid during their fake relationship, Alexia does cares for him especially after he praises her swordsmanship. She is then shown to be genuinely worried about her senior, Rose and wants to find her.
- Romantic FakeReal Turn: While initially using Cid to prevent Zenon's advances, Alexia genuinely did develop feelings for her partner. This lead to her confessing that she wants to continue the relationship a little longer but Cid refuses.
- Royals Who Actually Do Something: She begins to be more active following her rescue, wanting to take part in her sister's missions in uncovering the secret war between Shadow Garden and the Diabolos Cult.
- Took a Level in Badass: By the time during the God of War Tournament, she manages to duel with Rose in even footing. Rose notes that Alexia's sword is similar to Shadow's.
- Tsundere: After being rescued, Alexia starts to develop feelings for Cid but of course, she's too proud to admit it.
- The Ace: An expert swords woman compared to her brother. At least that's what he wants her to believe.
- Aloof Big Sister: She has nothing but criticism towards her younger brother. But that's actually because she's trying to toughen her brother up to be better.
- Aloof Dark-Haired Girl: She has long dark hair and doesn't bother to be courteous, even to royalty if her brother is in danger.
- Badass in Distress: She did try to escape from Olba but if it weren't for Cid accidentally finding her whereabouts, she would have been long gone.
- Big Sister Instinct: She is very attached to her brother. If someone so much dares harm him, she will tear them to pieces. Not even Princess Iris is exempted from her wrath when she had her brother detained.
- Deadpan Snarker: Even when locked up, she always makes time to insult her captors.
- Disqualification-Induced Victory: Since Jimina reveals himself to the world that he is Shadow, he is promptly disqualified, making Claire winner of the God of War festival.
- Drill Sergeant Nasty: She has been training Cid intensively since childhood.
- Eleventh Hour Super Power: After Aurora took over her body, Claire unlocks her full potential to fight off Elizabeth.
- It's All My Fault: She blames herself, thinking her brother has been killed.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Aware that her demon possession will mean her demise, Claire tries to toughen up her brother so that he can survive without need of help and deep down, she just wants to spend whatever remaining time she has with him.
- Made of Iron: She manages to rip the her skin on her arm to free herself. She got impaled in the gut by Elizabeth and is still able to draw breath.
- Meddling Parents: A sibling variant. When she's not training Cid, she always tries to step in and advises or forces him to do things that she feels is good for him.
- Secretly Dying: She learns that she has demon possession and didn't tell Cid, her parents and anyone about it. Unbeknownst to her, Cid has already rid the curse from her body. She did learn the truth at the end of the Red Moon arc.
- Yandere: She is violently protective of her brother, threatening to even murder nobles or royalty, along with their friends and family, if she believes they wish to harm him.
- Asskicking Equals Authority: She is both the first princess of the kingdom and is officially recognized as its strongest warrior. However, her strength is all Iris is good for and she knows it. Everything else is second rate, making her a Dumb Muscle.
- Big Sister Instinct: Upon learning Alexia's kidnapping, Iris pull all her resources to find her.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: On the receiving end thanks to Shadow. Twice. First, she couldn't land a single hit during their official bout when he was disguised and hiding his true power. Then when she teamed up with Beatrix to fight him after he revealed himself, she still couldn't get in a hit. Being defeated so easily like this has done a number on her self-esteem.
- Deconstructed Character Archetype: To The Ace. She carries the weight of not only her royal family but the entire kingdom as well. After suffering her first few defeats at the hands of Shadow, she's beginning to succumb to the pressure she imposed on herself and trains hard to catch up to her opponent, thus isolating her from her sister.
- Elites Are More Glamorous: Deconstructed. Not even a small group of the most powerful knights can protect the entire kingdom. They are so few in numbers either because most of the knights are not up to Iris's standards or they are assigned with other important tasks. Iris had to use her own resources so that it can continue to run. And what worsens the matter is the negative public opinion that starts to arise due to the group's recent failures and Iris's defeat at the hands of Shadow.
- Enemy Mine: She teams up with Beatrix to take down Shadow. It didn't work.
- Goofy Print Underwear: She wears panties that have a kitty image on them, a fact that her younger sister used to blackmail her to allow her to join her new taskforce.
- Hero Antagonist: She's genuinely a good person but the unfortunate thing is that she is fighting against Cid's Shadow Garden.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: After being publicly humiliated twice by Shadow during the God of War Tournament, Iris has become obsessed in defeating the leader of Shadow Garden, spending much of her time training in a dojo to better herself. This changed her for the worst, not caring about the kingdom's other situations, thus alienating herself from Alexia.
- Not So Different: Both Iris and Alexia feels they are second best compared to someone better than them. Alexia with Iris and Iris with Shadow. Alexia even notices this and worries for her older sister's fate.
- What the Hell, Hero?:
- Alpha calls out on the princess for instantly assuming the monster is evil and making things worse by hurting her.
- Her sister tries to pull her out of her obsession with defeating Shadow when their kingdom is in crisis from the Corporate Warfare.
- Badass Bookworm: Downplayed at first until Cid helps her to save everyone in the academy.
- Break the Cutie: She accidentally stumbles upon Shadow killing her step-father causing her to cry over him. Unfortunately, she didn't know the truth that he was an evil murderer that killed her mother.
- But Now I Must Go: She leaves Midgar Academy to go to Rawagas Academy City but not before expressing her feelings for Cid.
- Child Prodigy: She is the foremost expert on the ancient civilization.
- Damsel in Distress: The Diabolos Cult targets her to get the Eye of Avarice. Thankfully, Cid was there to get her out of many sticky situations.
- Innocently Insensitive: Wanting to be in a relationship with Cid, Sherry asks Alexia if the two are still dating. After the princess reveals they aren't, Sherry thanks Alexia before leaving with a smile on her face. Unbeknownst to her, Alexia smashes her cup in anger.
- Missing Mom: Her mother is long dead, murdered by her step father.
- Mistaken for Romance: When Cid gave her the chocolate. Cid just didn't want it and gave it to the first girl that crossed his field of vision, not thinking much of it. However in this world Chocolate is a new (to where Sherry didn't even know what it was at first) and very popular item to the point that it isn't uncommon for people to get to Mitsugoshi Co. at the break of Dawn to get in line to buy it. So from her point of view, he just gave her something that he must have waited a long time in line to give her and believes he just confessed his feelings to her.
- Nice Girl: Following her getting a chocolate as a present from Cid, Sherry takes an interest with him and is quite worried about the boy following his duel with Rose.
- So Much for Stealth: She suffers this a lot when the school was being taken over by the Order of Diabolos. She tries not to draw attention to herself but makes simple mistakes like thinking out loud or that her shoes are making too much noise. Cid has to make sure no one gets to her and eventually personally meets with her to give her the proper advice.
- Sweet Tooth: She dumps a jar of sugar into her coffee to the point that her cup is filled with more sugar than coffee.
- Beauty, Brains, and Brawn: She is brawn to her team consisting of herself, 664 and 665.
- Berserk Button: She attacks those who harms her sister and Cid.
- Forgotten Childhood Friend: Long ago, Rose actually met Cid when they were young. He saves her from some bandits that kidnapped her. All she remember him by is his name, the Stylish Bandit Slayer. She at least eventually realizes that her hero is also Shadow.
- Hidden Depths: When Cid was out with Rose, it's learned that the latter is a fan of the books written by Miss Natsume.
- Kill the Ones You Love: Rose is forced to kill her father to free him from mind control put there by Doem.
- Nice Girl: She's very kindhearted.
- Number of the Beast: She is given the designate, 666.
- Rescue Romance: She fell in love with Cid after he jumped in to save her from a fatal strike by a Shadow Garden impostor.
- Shameful Strip: Lambda, 664 and 665 destroys all of Rose's clothes and possessions following her induction to Shadow Garden.
- Sixth Ranger: She eventually became a member of Shadow Garden following her self imposed exile.
- Stereotype Flip: Despite hailing from a kingdom devoted on art, Rose chooses to be a swords woman after witnessing a beautiful display of swordsmanship from her savior who later turns out to be Sid who called himself the Stylish Bandit Slayer.
- Student Council President: Of Midgar Royal Spellsword Academy before her self imposed exile.
- Take a Third Option: Rose chooses to assassinate her father rather than let Doem have her and take over her kingdom or allow her father to be controlled and start a civil war.
- Walking Spoiler: It's hard to talk about her without mentioning her role later on in the story.
- Butt-Monkey: He gets in a lot of trouble for his actions especially when Cid is involved or he involves Cid.
- Casanova Wannabe: Attempts to hit on any beautiful girl but learns that said girls are only interested in Cid.
- Those Two Guys: He and Jaga are Cid's only friends.
- Vitrolic Best Buds: Although shaky their friendship is, Hyoro does show he cares for Cid. One example is when he is horrified to see Cid being cut down in front of him.
- With Friends Like These...: Despite having a good friendship with Cid, it doesn't stop Hyoro in using him into many of his schemes.
- The Ditz: He seem to be this among his group.
- Those Two Guys: He and Hyoro are Cid's only friends.
- Vitrolic Best Buds: Although shaky their friendship is, Jaga does show he cares for Cid. One example is when he is horrified to see Cid being cut down in front of him.
- Fiery Red Head: She has red hair and was kicking zombie butt before Cid arrives.
- Nice Girl: Like Rose and Sherry, she's one of the few students who appreciates Cid and goes as far as to compliment his skills and supporting him.
- Parents in Distress: She head to the war-torn Oriana Kingdom to rescue her mother who lives there.
- Skewed Priorities: Christina refuses to break and enter the Mistugoshi Co Oriana branch even when the Zombie horde is fast approaching her and Cid because of how it's too beautiful to be destroyed. Cid, of all people, can't believe what he's hearing.
- Wowing Cthulhu: Cid himself is very impressed at Christina, who he thought was merely a mob character, for moving up several classes of the Royal Capital Bushin Style in over a year and being Action Survivor throughout the Zombie Apocalypse.
- Absurdly Sharp Claws: She possesses red claws that can take against blows from the sharpest magic swords.
- Blood Magic: Her greatest ability was the power to freely control her own blood and imbue it with magic, using it as things like spears, arrows, or deadly tentacles, or using it as healing magic to give herself a rapid Healing Factor.
- Brought Down to Normal: Cid uses his healing 'nuke' to cure her vampirism allowing her to live a normal life she long desired.
- Driven to Suicide: Elizabeth took her own life to ensure she will never harm any more lives when she lost control of her vampire nature. However, she didn't die but was merely put into a coma like state that looks like she's dead.
- My God, What Have I Done?: When she regained her senses, Elizabeth is filled with immense guilt for the terror she unknowingly brought upon the world.
- Naked First Impression: When she was resurrected, she was fully nude before using her Blood Magic to make new clothes for herself.
- Posthumous Character: She was already dead but later got resurrected when the Red Moon occurred.
- Power Trio: One of the three Monarchs of Outlaw City. She resides at the Red Tower.
- Super Smoke: She can change her body into mist.
- Tragic Monster: She is the only Vampire leader that refuses to take a life and only wishes to have a peaceful life. She tries to fight off her urge to feed but her nature as the vampire progenitor prevents her from doing so.
- Adaptational Name Change: She was originally called Milia in the Web Novel, but it was changed to Mary for the Light Novel. Presumably this was done to make sure she wasn't confused with "Emilia".
- Brought Down to Normal: Having shunned drinking blood, her strength and vulnerability is comparable to that of a human's. She can get her powers back by drinking blood.
- Crazy-Prepared: Knew that the Red Moon will come, she made an underground tunnel that leads to the Red Tower and stop the ceremony to resurrect Elizabeth.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: She drinks the blood that were on Claire's lips to revive herself. In another perspective, it looks like Mary tried to force a kiss with the girl. The Light Novel even has an illustration for it which to everyone who doesn't know the circumstances looks like they are kssing.
- Earn Your Happy Ending: She and Elizabeth can finally start new lifes after Cid cures the latter of her vampirism.
- Fire-Forged Friends: She develops a friendship with Claire.
- Pint-Sized Powerhouse: She's short but she's the closest servant to the most powerful Vampire progenitor in existence. Expect heavy resistance.
- Take a Third Option: Instead of killing her master or allow her to suffer because of her vampire nature, Mary chooses to imprison her. This backfires when Crimson manages to overpower her and took Elizabeth.
- Undying Loyalty: It's clear Mary is still devoted to Elizabeth. When Beta accidentally made a remark about progenitors being similar to demons, Mary is enraged at the comparison, condemning it as heresy.
- Vampire Hunter: After Elizabeth went on a rampage, Mary dedicated her life in tracking her down and kill any vampire that do harm on humans.
- Ain't Too Proud to Beg: After being beaten within an inch of his life by Shadow, he tries to make a deal with him. Unfortunately, Shadow doesn't care and kills him.
- Asshole Victim: For intentionally causing Elizabeth's rampage and is about to do so again, his death means one less bastard to deal with in the future.
- Generic Doomsday Villain: He wants to resurrect Elizabeth and have vampires reign supreme over the land.
- Kick the Son of a Bitch: He thoroughly bring down the White Demon to his knees and forces him to be his eternal servant.
- Killed Mid-Sentence: Combined with Good Thing You Can Heal and Played for Laughs. When Crimson finally confronts Shadow, he is about to monologue only for the latter to kill him many times before he could finish a full sentence.
- Tampering with Food and Drink: He add human blood into Elizabeth's food thus reigniting her basic instincts.
Yukime the Enchantress
- Aren't You Going to Ravish Me?: She tries to tempt Shadow, now John Smith into sleeping with her. It doesn't work.
- Combat Hand Fan: Her signature weapon.
- Cute Monster Girl: She is a beautiful foxkin.
- Enemy Mine: She allies with Shadow Garden, wanting the Diabolos Cult to be destroyed for ruining her life.
- Et Tu, Brute?: Her lover betrayed her and murdered her mother so that he could get power to end a clan war.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: She sports a large scar on her back, perpetrated by Gettan when she tried to escape from him. Cid later removes it for good by using his healing powers.
- Light Is Not Good: She is a Foxkin with long, snow-white hair but she is head of a criminal organization. That changes after falling in love for Shadow.
- The Oldest Profession: She rises to power by serving as a prostitute.
- Power Trio: One of the three Monarchs of Outlaw City. She resides at the White Tower.
- Rescue Romance: After being saved by John Smith(Shadow) from her former lover, she fell head over heels for him.
- Shameless Fanservice Girl: Yukime doesn't mind showing off her breasts to Shadow and in a later chapter, revealing her bare naked body to him.
- Super Mode: She transforms into her true form; possessing nine tails and blood red eyes. She unknowingly uses it to rob Gettan of his eyesight.
Juggernaut the Tyrant
- BFS: Wields a Giant Nata.
- Gravity Is a Harsh Mistress: Mary sends him flying from the tower to the very bottom.
- Killed Offscreen: He is killed by Delta, ordered by Cid who made it in random so that he can finish his mission.
- Power Trio: One of the three Monarchs of Outlaw City. He resides at the Black Tower.
- Unskilled, but Strong: Juggernaut boasts that he doesn't need any techniques. He relies solely on his monstrous strength to do the work for him.
- Would Hit a Girl: Upon seeing Claire and Milia, he immediately decides to kill them.
- Asshole Victim: He is a psychopathic mass murderer. After losing to someone he couldn't beat, he is forced into enslavement by Crimson, chained like the animal he is. He is later killed by another person above his comprehension.
- Ax-Crazy: The guy was mad before he became Crimson's servant. He uses his position as Grand Commander to kill and when his crimes are exposed, he kills all of his men.
- Bullying a Dragon: Subverted at first. After losing to Crimson, he made sure not to mess with people from Outlaw City, especially the three Monarchs. Played straight when he thought Shadow is someone he can beat, he paid the price for his foolishness with his life.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: He defeats Quinton and Goldoh, all powerful warriors and participants of the God of War festival.
- Half the Man He Used to Be: Shadow bisects him into half. He didn't even know he was dead until he hit the ground and sees the other half of his body.
- Big Sister Worship: She idolizes her older sister, Rose. Even after learning about Rose's role in their father's death, she keeps on believing that her sister might has some reason for doing it.
- Can't Kill You, Still Need You: The Doem Faction can't kill her for political reasons and they want to use her as bait to draw out Rose.
- Damsel in Distress: She was kept prisoner in the Doem faction's prison camp following the kingdom's civil war. Shadow Garden's mission is to aid the Royalists in rescuing her.
- Nice Girl: Much like her sister, Clara shows a lot of compassion and optimism despite being forced to live what is essentially prison. Upon witnessing Cid getting hurt, she came to his aid.
- Nice to the Waiter: Clara remembers one of the Royalists as her family's gardener and despite the differences in hierarchy, she values his opinion.
- Royals Who Actually Do Something: When OWL is engaging with Doem's forces, Clara decides to rally the Royalists to assist her.
- Unwitting Pawn: Following her rescue, Clara understands she is this for Shadow Garden.
- Butt-Monkey: He became Cid's lackey after he threatened him.
- I Fight for the Strongest Side: When Cid met him, he was with the Doem Faction because they have the best privileges. That's what Zack wants everyone to believe.
- Join or Die: His faction forces new prisoners to help them or be killed by them. Unfortunately he tries this on Cid who turns the deal around.
- Reverse Mole: Zack's actually a member of the secret royal and guard and is helping the Royalists to undermine the Doem faction.
Order of Diabolos
- Card-Carrying Villain: Their goal is just to conquer the world and they've done this by kidnapping, planting moles and puppet kings in key locations and unleashing a zombie plague.
- Cosmopolitan Council: The leaders of the cult, the Knight of Rounds comprises of twelve individuals. This is relevant as their concoction for immortality can only be produced in twelve.
- Elite Mooks: The Named Children are the most powerful of the cult's soldiers, either coming from the 1st and maybe even the 2nd Children.
- Immortality Seeker: The main goal of the Order of Diabolos is to extract the power of Diabolos and gain immortality for themselves.
- One-Winged Angel: When backed into a corner by a stronger enemy, they use a red lozenge to boost their abilities all the while mutating them into something inhuman.
- Religion of Evil: They are worshiping a demon that has nearly destroyed the world. It's later revealed they don't care about the demon, only her power.
- Villain with Good Publicity: Most of them are in key positions that are respected by the rest of the world, allowing the cult to carry out their criminal activities without suspicion.
- We Have Reserves: The Diabolos Cult's 3rd Children are just brainwashed people who are meant to be killed, whether or not they accomplished their missions. 2nd Children are about the same but they retained their sanity.
- Would Hurt a Child: They have doing this for hundreds of years, most especially in killing the descendants of the Three Heroes.
- Accidental Truth: He is the one confirming it. He had just learned about the highly secretive Diabolos Cult and was surprised that outsiders knew about it.
- Can't Kill You, Still Need You: The Seven Shadow plans to extract info out of the viscount, possibly painfully as possible.
- Once Done, Never Forgotten: His defeat at Iris's hands is considered this.
- Tragic Villain: Olba's only wish is to reverse the "Curse" from his daughter which finally came for her years after his death.
- Arranged Marriage: Alexia is disturbed by the numerous advances he made on her. She has good reason to...
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: The guy wants to get close to Alexia so that he can kidnap her and extract her blood for the cult.
- Broken Pedestal: Once his crimes were exposed, the students that follow him left his class.
- Frame-Up: He has Cid take the fall for his crimes in kidnapping the princess. However, this act brought the attention of Shadow (Cid) and Shadow Garden.
- Kick the Dog: Zenon insults Alexia by belittling her skills and comparing her to Iris, which she hates.
- Humiliation Conga: His overconfidence in his skills shatters when Shadow arrives who thoroughly blocks every one of his attacks with ease, beats him down numerous times, thinks so little of him and mocks his so-called superior swordsmanship during their fight. To say he loses it would be a complete understatement.
- Oh, Crap!: When he realizes he is about to be vaporized.
- The Bad Guy Wins: Although he's dead, he succeeded in framing Shadow Garden for his crimes. What's worse is that he died a martyr to his stepdaughter.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: His loving father side to Sherry is completely fake.
- Evil Cripple: He was a former member of the Rounds and when he could not longer able to do it anymore due to an illness, he tries to use various illegal methods to get back.
- Evil Laugh: His is noted to be disturbing.
- Frame-Up: His goal is to have Shadow Garden be blamed for the attacks all over the kingdom and making them the enemy of the world.
- Karmic Death: Cid kills him the same way he killed Sherry's mother.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: Once his minions have been killed, he attempts to flee and burns every trace of evidence that ties the crime to him.
- The Mole: His true mission is to extract the Eye of Avarice.
- Wicked Stepmother: A male variant. He murdered Sherry's mother to silence her and uses Sherry to further his agenda.
- Bad Liar: He pretends to be Shadow Garden, but then questions if that is the right name, then constantly changes the name.
- Entertainingly Wrong: He thinks Cid has an artifact that boosts his abilities and that he's too injured to keep fighting. He was way wrong.
- Oh, Crap!: This bastard thinks he's evenly matched against Cid. That is until he finds the corpses of all his men that he is wetting himself in fear.
- Stupid Evil: He attempts to pose as a member of Shadow Garden to frame them but gets their name wrong. If it weren't for the fact that everyone not knowing much about the organization, the plan wouldn't have work.
- Bald of Evil: Alexia loves to make potshots at the man's lack of hair.
- Death by Secret Identity: Nelson learns Alpha's identity as Olivie's descendant and plans on capturing her to save face. He didn't get far as Cid kills him.
- Dirty Old Man: When Natsume-sensei(Beta in disguise) asks questions about Aurora, Nelson took an opportunity to ogle at her chest.
- Mad Scientist: He was one of the original researchers that studied Diabolos long ago.
- Really 700 Years Old: He's possibly centuries old using the power of Diabolos.
- Self-Duplication: He can make multiple copies of himself to overwhelm his enemies. This is rendered mute since the clones can't do anything since he's only one man and can't control all of them at once.
- Sinister Minister: An archbishop, secretly working with a cult that wants to resurrect a demon.
- Green-Eyed Monster: He expresses jealousy and hatred that Jimina is a way better swordsman than he is.
- Karmic Death: He drugged King Oriana till his mind broke to turn him into his puppet, so it's fitting that Shadow broke his mind first through a experiment before killing him.
- Punny Name: His name in Japanese can be read as "giant masochist asshat".
- Puppet King: His goal is to control the King Oriana and take over his kingdom.
- Smug Snake: The man thinks that his plans will succeed except.....
- Suddenly Sexuality: After Cid lobotomizes him, Doem happily reveals that he's gay.
- Villainous Breakdown: Rose puts a stop to Doem by killing King Oriana. He went mad because without his puppet king, he lost the ability to claim the throne.
- Villainous BSoD: After Rose foiled his plans and Shadow scarring him to near death.
- Arrogant Kung-Fu Guy: He takes extreme pride over his abilities.
- Entertainingly Wrong: Maxmillian pegged that Shadow is using an artifact which he thinks is his coat yet he's not taking into account that this is Shadow's true power and his coat is just slime.
- Super Speed: He uses this ability to kill multiple people and overwhelm powerful opponents.
- Villainous Breakdown: The more he fights Cid, the more he understands that he is screwed from the very beginning.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: He promptly executes his subordinates after having Princess Clara within his grasp.
- You Monster!: Maximillian calls Shadow a Demon Lord when he sees the wings sprouting from his back.
- An Arm and a Leg: His arm got bisected after Shadow and Aurora escape.
- Battle Trophy: He kept some of Epsilon's hair after defeating her.
- Blood Knight: He seems less interested in fulfilling the cult's goals and wants to fight the Seven Shadows.
- Combat Pragmatist: The biggest reason he was able to defeat Epsilon was because his surprise attack gave her a deep cut.
- Curbstomp Battle: He has beaten 664, 665 and even Epsilon, one of the Seven Shadows.
- Establishing Character Moment: His besting of Epsilon is there to acknowledge he's stronger than other villains in the previous arcs.
- Oh, Crap!: Not only Mordred was shocked that Shadow has escaped a dimension, something he thought was not possible but also learning that he plans to reveal the truth about the Order of Diabolos and more to the world.
- White Hair, Black Heart: He's a handsome silver haired man but is working for the cult.
- You Have Failed Me: Mordred kills off his subordinate for failing to report anything of significance or basically just wasting his time.
The Three Heroes and the Witch of Calamity
- My Master, Right or Wrong: Towards the church.
- Reforged into a Minion: Her fate after stopping Diabolos. She is used to attack her own descendant.
- Samus Is a Girl: Apart from Shadow Garden and the Diabolos Cult, everyone in the world thought Olivie was a man.
- Posthumous Character: She was already dead centuries ago.
- Unwitting Pawn: Olivie truly wants to save the world from Diabolos but she is being used by the cult to harvest the demon's power
- And I Must Scream: Being isolated inside a dark room and wrapped around in chains, unable to move really costed her sanity until Shadow frees her.
- Death Glare: She gave one at Mordred.
- Famous Ancestor: It's revealed Cid and Claire Kagenou, Alexia Midgar, Rose Oriana and Emilia Olba are descended from her. Most likely includes other human descendants.
- Mystical White Hair: She possesses silver hair.
- Posthumous Character: She was already dead centuries ago but her ghost is another matter.
- Sealed Good in a Can: Her spirit was presumably caught by the Order and was trapped under the Oriana Kingdom for a long time.
- Big Damn Heroes: She reappears to save Claire and everyone else from the Queen of Vampires when Claire's blood starts going out of control.
- Given Name Reveal: Other than being called the Witch of Calamity, she actually goes by the name, Diabolos. Meaning that she is the "demon" whose resurrection Shadow Garden is trying to prevent.
- Greater-Scope Villain: As Diabolos, she is indirectly responsible for causing the Diabolos Cult to be formed and placing the curse on the Three Heroes' descendants. This might ends up Subverted as it's implied that she didn't do these terrible things in her own free will. It's lessened somewhat as Cid later finds her heavily mutated finger still very much alive and heals her back to her normal state (as a regular human finger) the same way he healed the rest of Shadow Garden, much to the shock of everyone present, including Aurora. Further compounded as Cid decides to find the rest of her and finish healing her, as his she's his friend, according to him.
- Guest-Star Party Member: She, or at least part of her, helps Shadow Garden in finding more about the Three Heroes and end the Oriana Kingdom Civil War.
- Hot Witch: She is a drop dead beautiful magic caster.
- I Hate Past Me: While reviewing the past memories, she has shown disappointment and probably apathetic towards her younger self. Following her freedom from the Holy Ground, she requests Cid to kill her.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: She had lost most of her memories from centuries of isolation by the time the current day Trial of the Goddesses happened. However, it's revealed she retained a lot more memories than she lets on.
- Please, I Will Do Anything!: When she thought Cid is about to be killed, she offers herself to the Diabolos cult to save him.
- Samus Is a Girl: The Demon "King" Diabolos? Yeah, it's her.
- Sinister Scythe: Aurora takes out a mean looking one to fight Shadow in close combat.
- Squishy Wizard: Despite being one of the famous mages in history, she is still physically weak. Cid notes that she's not particularly good with a sword.
- Storm of Blades: Using her magic, she is able to summon wave after wave of swords onto her target and can redirect them any where she wants.
- Body Horror: When we first see Emilia, she barely look human at all.
- The Bus Came Back: She came back during the later parts of the Oriana Kingdom Civil War arc after Doem resurrected her from the dead.
- Closest Thing We Got: Initially Emilia was the cult's last choice since they wanted more powerful individuals like Rose, Alexia and Claire for their experiments but since those three are out of the question, they finally chose her.
- Healing Factor: It's shown during her rampage that her enhanced regenerative abilities are so powerful that even Iris couldn't stop it. Only Alpha was the one who stops her.
- The Dog Bites Back: The first thing Emilia did after being freed is to kill the scientist who experimented on her.
- I Have Your Daughter: Emilia was kidnapped by the Diabolos Cult to coerce her father into joining them.
- Mercy Kill: Her first death is this.
- Throw the Dog a Bone: Emilia was given a second chance after Shadow and Epsilon frees her from Doem's control.
- Bare Your Midriff: Beatrix only wears a chest guard and a loincloth leaving her belly exposed.
- Blood Knight: After Jimina defeats Iris, Beatrix shows admiration to the young man and wants to fight him.
- Enemy Mine: She joins forces with Iris Midgar to take down Shadow. It didn't work.
- Identical Granddaughter: Being related to Alpha, Beatrix's also the descendant of Olivie.
- In the Hood: She wore a gray robe to hide her face.
- Lady of War: Hence the title, Goddess of War.
- Missing Child: She is searching for her late younger sister's child, implied to be Alpha.
- World's Strongest Woman: Her victory at the previous God of War Tournament made her this. This reflects in her skills against Shadow and while she did lose to him in the end, she lasted a lot longer than his previous opponents, showing that there is some credence.
- Cassandra Truth: Annerose is one of the only people to discover Jimina's true strength but no one believes her due to how ridiculous he defeats his opponents.
- The Comically Serious: She tries to imitate Jimina's moves (weird ones) in order to intimidate him. It didn't work.
- Early-Bird Cameo: She first appeared during the Trial of the Goddess when she won against a summon.
- Friendly Rival: After being beaten, she promises to Jimina that she'll be worthy for his skills. Jimina replies back that she, having fought him without his Power Limiter, is an accomplishment that earns his respect.
- Underestimating Badassery: She does not see Jimina much of a fighter at first, thinking he lacks the skill and strength but as the God of War tournament progresses, her opinion towards him changes drastically, now seeing him as a force not to be taken lightly.
- Oh, Crap!: When she realizes that Jimina (Cid) had Power Limiters throughout most of the tournament and she's about to face him in full strength.
- That Man Is Dead: Annerose prefers not to be called Annerose of the Seven Swords of Begalta and just Annerose.
- Worthy Opponent: Her true main goal was to find someone who can compete with her skills but after much time passes and couldn't find any, she became cynical and loses hope until she meet Jimina(Shadow).
- Break the Haughty: His defeat at the God of War festival and his enslavement humbles him.
- Cassandra Truth: He's one of the people that doesn't want to believe Annerose that Jimina is a lot more dangerous than he seems. Because of it, he gets his rear kicked.
- Dark Is Not Evil: He looks like an evil wrestler but despite this and his Jerkass tendencies, he's an overall nice guy.
- Eyepatch of Power: He wears one over his right eye.
- Made a Slave: Following the Red Moon incident, he is reduced to a servant and was bought and ordered to steal the Oriana's kingdom's treasures.
- No-Holds-Barred Beatdown: He gets mad at Jimina and beats him up to a pulp. Of course, what he did was something Jimina(Cid) wanted.
- Tempting Fate: Before going to have his match against Jimina, Quinton declares he's going to prove to everyone that he's a fraud. Moments later, he gets defeated by Jimina.
- Awesome by Analysis: His preferred tactic is to make sure to gather battle data and chooses his opponents and battles wisely. Sadly, this doesn't apply to the Invincible Hero.
- Break the Haughty: His defeat at the God of War festival and his enslavement humbles him, making him reconsider the choices that got him in this mess.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: On the receiving end of this. He unleashes his attack on Jimina who counters by firing off a powerful sneeze.
- Embarrassing Nickname: He detests the title "Undefeatble Myth" since it painfully reminds him that part of the reason he wasn't defeated is because he ran away from stronger opponents. He prefers "Sure Win Golden Dragon".
- Heroic Second Wind: After Cid powers him up, Goldoh turns the tide in his favor.
- Made a Slave: Following the Red Moon incident, he is reduced to a servant and was bought and ordered to steal the Oriana's kingdom's treasures.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: It's revealed that whenever he meets stronger opponents, he either flees or forfeits. Most recent example is that after realizing that he cannot defeat the Watchdog, he flees, abandoning Quinton. Not like he got that far.
- You Are in Command Now: After Tulpicano dies, Goldoh take command of the Black Rose.
- Alas, Poor Villain: No matter how many terrible things he has done, including what he did to Yukime, he still loves her and it's only when he is near death that finally regrets his actions.
- Bad Boss: He treats his subordinates with utter contempt and will kill them should they fail him.
- Blade on a Stick: His naginata.
- Deal with the Devil: He made a deal with the cult of Diabolos. If his and Yukime's tribe swore allegiance to the cult, they will protect them from the clan war. The offer was tempting enough for him to murder Yukime's mother.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: An attack by Yukime caused Gettan to have a scar across his face and lose both his eyes.
- Handicapped Badass: Despite being blind, he is still a powerful wolf Beastkin.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: While making a deal with the evil cult was a bad idea, he did it with the intention in proving his tribe and one true love.
- Asshole Victim: His one true aim is to use the Civil War at Oriana to steal the Kingdom's wealth. It's safe to say that none will miss him.
- Con Man: He made a team of volunteer soldiers so that they could distract the Ratja Count's armies while he and a small few loyal to him infiltrate the palace, get treasure and escape with it.
- Early-Bird Cameo: He first appeared at Outlaw City, buying Quinton and Goldoh.
- Fat Bastard: Cid describes him looking like a pig.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: He gets killed by the arm of Diabolos, the real treasure.
The Three Ojisans
- Farm Boy: One of them used to work in the farms. But he grew fed up and joined Black Rose.
- Leeroy Jenkins: Cid tries to warn the three about their odds against the enemy but they didn't listen and charges forward against the numerically superior enemies.
- My God, What Have I Done?: One of them succumbs to guilt for mortgaging his wife.
- Nice Guy: All three of them are kind to Cid when they became a team.
- Only in It for the Money: Another of the Ojii-sans only join Black Rose to get rich.
- The Ace: She's very popular with boys and girls admiring her looks and good grades.
- Accidental Misnaming: She gets pissed that her name gets wrong by Minoru.
- Attempted Rape: Her kidnappers wanted to force themselves onto her until Minoru rescues her before the attempt was made.
- Dark and Troubled Past: When she was at Junior High, Akane had a stalker who kidnapped her. Although she was saved, the event caused her to halt on acting and her parents had arranged a car and driver to take her home safely.
- Defrosting the Ice Queen: After being saved by the Stylish Badguy Slayer and learning Minoru finally remembers her name, she decides to walk with her classmate; presumably their relationship has improved.
- Hostage MacGuffin: Her current kidnappers want to use her as ransom and get her family to pay a huge sum of money.
- Small Role, Big Impact: Believe or not, it's quite possible that her second kidnapping did made Minoru be a little more aware about the people around him.
- Stepford Smiler: Because of what the stalker did to her, she tries to hide her emotions to not show how troubled she was about it. She also does this to avoid unwanted rumors when around Minoru.