open/close all folders
- Voiced By: Takahiro Sakurai
- Advertised Extra: His female form, which appears in the season 1 opening and promotional poster, but is only shown in the first episode.
- Arranged Marriage: Betrothed to Kaisei Ebisugawa before it was broken after his father's death.
- Attractive Bent-Gender: At times he shapeshifts into a female form for various reasons, mostly at the beginning of the story.
- Bishōnen: In the novel. The anime, however, gives him Tareme Eyes, which gives him a cuter look instead.
- Sailor Fuku: Wears this when he transforms into a girl in episode 1.
- Shameless Fanservice Girl: Flashes his panties to a random passerby when in the form of a school girl in the first episode.
- Shapeshifter: He's mentioned as being a good shapeshifter, even amongst other Tanukis.
- Voiced By: Junichi Suwabe
- Big Brother Instinct: Protects Yashiro from the Ebisugawa twins' bullying.
- The Dutiful Son : He aspires to follow in Souichirou's footsteps, and is mentioned by Yasaburo to have inherited their father's sense of responsibility.
- Heroic BSoD: After learning that Yajiro left their father to his death.
- Not So Stoic: While he tries to be stoic and idealistic, he has a tendency to overreact to everything.
- Panthera Awesome: Has a penchant for transforming into a large tiger when the situation calls for it.
- Voiced By: Hiroyuki Yoshino
- The Alcoholic: Stated that the only thing he was good at was drinking alcohol. Which is how Yashirou gets him out of the well in Episode 12.
- All Love Is Unrequited: Is in love with Kaisei who was in an engagement with Yasaburo.
- Big Damn Heroes: Saves his brothers from the Friday Fellows and the Ebisugawas using his train form in Episode 12.
- Despair Event Horizon: After learning that he pretty much killed his father.
- Hopeless Suitor: For Kaisei, his younger brother's former fiancee.
- It's All My Fault: Blames himself for his father's death.
- Shape Shifter Mode Lock: Stuck as a frog, because of self exile due to leading his father to his death.
- Voiced By Mai Nakahara
- Glamour Failure: His tail pops out whenever he's startled or under stress.
- Shock and Awe: On a small scale - he can charge electronics with his fingertips.
"Mother" Shimogamo / Tousen
- Voiced By Kikuko Inoue
- Beauty Mark: Has one under her left eye. It's visible even in her Tanuki form.
- Bifauxnen: Her preferred form when going outside.
- So Proud of You: Even when the entirety of tanuki society labels her sons as losers, she's really proud of them.
- Takarazuka: A big fan of it, which is why her human form is a Bifauxnen.
- Voiced by Bon Ishihara
- Heroic Sacrifice: He let himself get captured to protect his family and to call off Yasaburo's engagement. Definitely Faced Death With Dignity.
- Plot-Triggering Death: Most of the plot is centered around finding out the true cause of his death and the effects of it on the characters.
- Posthumous Character: He was killed and eaten by the Friday Fellows way before the events of the series begin.
- Voiced By Ayane Sakura
- Arranged Marriage: Betrothed to Yasaburo before it was broken by her father after her uncle's death. The actual reason is much more complicted as seen below.
- He Who Must Not Be Seen:
- Never seems to appear as a human or tanuki; she's always disguised as some random object. Her human form is finally shown in episode 9. Yasaburo never gets to see her, at least until far off in the end credits of Episode 13.
- The second series finally shows her in both forms and reason why she never shows herself to Yasaburo: just looking at her causes his Glamor Failure.
- Morality Pet: Her brothers and father genuinely care about her.
- Official Couple: Yasaburo reinstates his engagement to her at the end of season 2
- Older Than They Look: She's supposedly the same age as Yasaburo, but due to her short height, looks much younger.
- White Sheep: While the rest of the Ebisugawa's are jerks (barring Kureiichiro), Kaisei herself had been kind and helpful.
Ginkaku and Kinkaku Ebisugawa
- Voiced by Kosuke Hatakeyama and Shuya Nishiji
- The Bully: Both aspire to makes the Shimogamo family's lives in general, and Yashirou's in particular, a living hell.
- Jerkass: They're both pretty big jerks, especially towards Yashiro.
- Identical Twin ID Tag: Kinkaku's bangs are parted in the middle, while Ginkaku's bangs are swept to the side.
- Running Gag: Getting themselves thrown into extremely cold water by the Shimogamo family. They even lampshade it in episode 12.
- Sesquipedalian Loquaciousness: They try to use long and complicated words to make themselves sound smarter, but since they don't know what the words mean it makes them seem dumber instead.
- Trickster Twins: They love to cause problems for the Shimogamo family, though they aren't as smart about it as they like to think they are and their tricks tend to backfire on them.
- Voiced by Nobuo Tobita
- Big Bad: Ultimately the source of all of the Shimogamo family's troubles but he is only the Big Bad for the first season.
- Disc-One Final Boss: He is set up to be back to being the main villain only to be killed in the second season.
- Green-Eyed Monster: He gets Soichirou killed because he wanted his wife and the Nise-mon position for himself.
- One-Winged Angel: He transformed himself into a one horned oni to kill Yasaburo, Unfortunately for him that cost him his life since he transformed into an oni in front of oni-fearing Jyurojin, who promptly shot him.
- Sympathy for the Devil: Yasaburo felt this way about his death.
- Voiced by: Yuuichi Nakamura
- Nice Guy: So far, he had been friendly and willing to make peace with the Shimogamos. Subverted that it was actually Soun in disguise. Double Subverted that the real Kureiichiro showed up in the near end of Season 2 and is a true blue nice guy.
- White Sheep: Like Kaisei, he's a decent Nice Guy, unlike the rest of his family.
Akadama and his son
Professor Akadama (Nyoigatake Yakushibou)
- Voiced by Hideyuki Umezu
- Dirty Old Man: His infatuation with Benten is one of his defining traits, and he refers to (beautiful) women as one of the few things he can look forward to at his age.
- Lima Syndrome: After abducting Suzuki Satomi (Benten), he eventually fell for her.
- Retired Badass: Excels mostly at excuses after injuring his back.
- Voiced by Junji Majima
- Would Hit a Girl: He doesn't hold his punches when he fights Benten in the season 2 finale.
The Thursday Club
Hotei (Professor Yodagawa)
- Voiced by Takehiko Higuchi
- Big Damn Heroes: He sneaks into the Friday Club's annual tanuki hot pot wearing a mask and busts Yasaburo and Kaisei out of their cage.
- Cool Old Guy: He's a friendly man who befriends Yasuburo.
- Dirty Old Man: Like Akadama he has an infatuation with Benten.
- Evil Tastes Good: He's aware tanuki are sentient beings, but he loves them so much he has to eat them to profess his love.
- HeelFace Turn: When he sees that the tanuki Jurojin ordered (Mother) was the same one he saved all those years ago, he says Screw the Rules, I'm Doing What's Right!.
- Meaningful Name: Hotei is a jolly old god that is overweight and known for his altruism. Other than the overweight part everything else fits him.
- Nice Guy: He even had a friendly conversation with Soichirou before the Friendly Fellows cooked him.
- Not What It Looks Like: Yasaburo pushes Benten onto him in the final episode in order to get Akadama angry.
- Obliviously Evil: Despite the fact that he had a conversation with Soichiro after having been captured, he doesn't seem fully aware of the fact that tanuki are sentient beings.
The Friday Fellows/Friday Club
Suzuki Satomi a.k.a. Benten
- Voiced By: Mamiko Noto
- Affably Evil: While she is the primary member of the antagonist group the Friday Fellows, she's very affable and plays the grey line on the evil part.
- Broken Bird: There's a heavy burden on her shoulders she feels she cannot truly break free from. From ending up eating Yasaburo's father to watching with mixed feelings of vindication and guilt over seeing Professor Akadama being stripped of his tengu powers, Benten has had a very hard life.
- Deuteragonist: While Yasaburo is the main character, she's clearly the second most important and has a part in everything.
- Femme Fatale: Very attractive and very powerful. She can usually be found flirting with leaders and influential people.
- Flight: Despite being a human, she knows tengu magic and is able to fly.
- Shameless Fanservice Girl: She has no problem skinny dipping in front of Yasaburo and Yashiro. Though she'll get mad if Yasuburo takes her form to be fanservice.
- Token Human: Among the main cast. However, considering how she knows tengu magic and how tanuki believe Humans Are Cthulhu in this setting, this makes her very dangerous.
- Voiced by