open/close all folders
The Nektons as a whole.
- There's No Place Like Home: This is ultimately the driving force for why the Nektons are always drawn to the ocean. Turns out, the Nektons are a family of Lemurians.
Voiced by: Michael Dobson
- Genius Bruiser: An oceanographer with the build of a heavyweight boxer.
Voiced by: Kathleen Barr
- Encyclopaedic Knowledge: Justified as she is a marine biologist. Kaiko is able to identify the species of most seas creatures as soon as she sees them.
Antaeus "Ant" Nekton
Voiced by: Vincent Tong
- The Chosen One: Nereus and Proteus firmly believe that Antaeus is the one who will reassemble the Efemicrom, and get it to reveal Lemuria's location.
- Foolish Sibling, Responsible Sibling: The Foolish Sibling to Fontaine's Responsible Sibling.
- Gadgeteer Genius: Enjoys inventing anything from new Knights to portable fishbowls for Jeffrey
- Ironic Name: In Greek Mythology, Antaeus was a giant who was invincible as long as he stood on the ground. An odd name for an ocean explorer.
Voiced by: Ashleigh Ball
- Teens Are Short: Fonatine is 15 years old and 149 cm (410) tall. Her mother is 170 cm (57) tall.
- Free-Range Pets: Despite being a fish, Ant has a special machine that allows Jeffrey to explore with the team and the Arronax has water systems so Jeffrey can be in any room he chooses.
The Guardians as a whole.
- Secret Keeper: They know about something evil being contained in Lemuria, and are concerned about what Proteus wants with it.
Voiced by: Lee Tockar
- Eccentric Mentor: Gives the Nektons clues in the form of riddles rather than being straightforward with them.
- Really 700 Years Old: He's an original Lemurian from when the kingdom fell. In fact, he was the brother of the final queen of the kingdom.
- Secret Keeper: He often keeps a lot of things from the Nektons. It can be very vexing for them.
- Technologically Blind Elders: For all his wisdom, Nereus is completely lost when it comes to operating technology.
voiced by: Brian Drummond
The Dark Orca Crew
The Crew as a whole.
- The Alleged Car: The Dark Orca is in a constant state of disrepair, which is commented on in several different episodes.
- The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything: They're really only shown attacking shipping in their introductory episode. In subsequent appearances they're mostly just looking for sunken treasure, coming into conflict with the Nektons only because they just want these historical artifacts for their monetary value rather than preserving them.
- The Psycho Rangers: To the Nektons, but in place of a Kaiko or Jeffrey counterpart, they have Danny Boy and some minor goons.
Voiced by: Michael Dobson
- Beard of Evil: A big bushy black beard, befitting a pirate captain.
- The Captain: Of the Dark Orca.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: He clearly cares for his children, even once going out of his way to retrieve a memento of Madeline's late mother. He even weaponizes this, using his concern for Madeline's safety to get her onto the Aronnax in order to steal the Chronicle of the Deep.
- Evil Cannot Comprehend Good: He doesn't get why the Nektons don't have missiles in their submarine, for without them the Nektons can't attack and steal.
- Seadog Beard: Sports a long bushy beard.
- Talk Like a Pirate: Even though it's a modern setting, Hammerhead speaks with the archetypal West Country accent.
Voiced by: Samuel Vincent
Voiced by: Kazumi Evans
Voiced by: Brian Drummond
- Bald of Evil: He has black hair on the back of his head, but none on top. He's also a pirate.
Voiced by: James Higuchi
- Absent-Minded Professor: Undeniably brilliant, also undeniably scatterbrained.
- Keet: Rivals Ant for sheer enthusiasm.
- Mad Scientist: Develops most of the tech used by the Nektons, in addition to being rather eccentric.
Voiced by: Trevor Devall
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: He's initially taken for a fraud by the Nektons, but while he's a phoney in many respects, the "monsters" he finds and his ability to harm them are quite real. Past the first season, they start viewing him as a legitimate menace, if not necessarily a personal threat.
- Egomaniac Hunter: Styles himself as a hunter of monsters.
- Engineered Heroics: In a show teeming with aggressive sea monsters, every rare sea beast Daniels encounters is a Gentle Giant that he needs to goad into acting antagonistically.
- Fake Brit: Speaks with an RP accent when on-camera, but reverts to an American accent whenever he's alone or taken off-guard.
- Glory Hound: Everything he does is to garner more fame for himself.
- Hitler Cam: Typically films himself from this angle. When the Nektons finally confront him, he's barely taller than Fontaine.
- Know-Nothing Know-It-All: He's clearly only skimmed through Moby-Dick because he doesn't know that Captain Ahab dies at the end and doesn't even know who Herman Melville is.
- Miles Gloriosus: Presents himself as a bold and daring adventurer, but literally everything about this persona is fake.
- Nerf Arm: He's patented a powerful and ironically humane harpoon gun whose discharges are tipped with highly effective suction cups.
- Not So Harmless: On his lonesome, he managed to sneak up on a giant sea creature and shoot it with a taser dart before the events of the eleventh episode. When the Nektons try to confront him, he quickly steals the Rover for his own use.
- Slave to PR: Because he thrives on his popularity, the Nektons usually blackmail him into doing what they want by threatening to reveal his true colors to the public.
- Villainous Underdog: His high-tech yacht is absolutely puny compared to the Aronnax, but his wits and determination make him a wily foe to have.
- The Worf Effect: After proving himself an effective tracker and hijacker in his initial episode, he is easily subdued and captured by the Dark Orca crew in Loki's Castle.
Voiced by: Brian Drummond
- Child Hater: He finds them annoying. Especially Ant.
- Information Broker: Will occasionally comes to him for information, as does Captain Hammerhead.
- Insufferable Genius: He's smarter than you, and not afraid to let you know it.
- Playing Both Sides: Has no compunctions about selling a treasure map to multiple parties. He's just doubled his payday.
Voiced by: Andrew Francis
- A Pupil Of Mine Until He Turned Evil: He was a previous apprentice of Nereus, until he decided he wanted to use the power of Doreus' Scepter to Take Over the World.
- Big Bad: Of the second season.
- Dirty Coward: Ambitious, but not very brave.
- Evil Plan: Alpheus' plan is to obtain the Scepter of Queen Doreus and use it to awaken all the Monumentals, including The Terror, and effectively use them to threaten all the nations of the world into achieving peace.
- Smug Snake: Even when his plans go awry, and/or he's outwitted, his expression always has a very smug look about it.