open/close all folders
The Nektons as a whole.
- Ambiguously Brown: Word of God says they're mixed race
- Badass Family: They are NOT to be messed with.
- Cool Boat: The Nektons have the Aronnax.
- In the Blood: "My family are explorers. We have been for generations."
- Science Hero:
- There's No Place Like Home: This is ultimately the driving force for why the Nektons are always drawn to the ocean. Turns out, the Nektons are a family of Lemurians.
Voiced by: Michael Dobson
- Action Dad:
- Genius Bruiser: An oceanographer with the build of a heavyweight boxer.
- Papa Wolf:
- Real Award, Fictional Character: William won Olympic gold medals in swimming.
Voiced by: Kathleen Barr
- Action Mom:
- Badass Bookworm:
- Encyclopaedic Knowledge: Justified as she is a marine biologist. Kaiko is able to identify the species of most seas creatures as soon as she sees them.
- Mama Bear:
- Spell My Name with an "S": If she's of Japanese origin, then her name would normally be romanized as "Keiko."
- Wrench Wench: Kaiko is the one keeps the Arronax running.
Antaeus "Ant" Nekton
Voiced by: Vincent Tong
- Agent Mulder: Ant believes in mermaids and aliens.
- Annoying Younger Sibling: To Fontaine.
- Brilliant, but Lazy: Always trying to find a way to avid his chores.
- Brother-Sister Team: With Fontaine
- Child Prodigy: Paired with Gadgeteer Genius
- The Chosen One: Nereus and Proteus firmly believe that Antaeus is the one who will reassemble the Efemicrom, and get it to reveal Lemuria's location.
- Foolish Sibling, Responsible Sibling: The Foolish Sibling to Fontaine's Responsible Sibling.
- Gadgeteer Genius: Enjoys inventing anything from new Knights to portable fishbowls for Jeffrey
- Ironic Name: In Greek Mythology, Antaeus was a giant who was invincible as long as he stood on the ground. An odd name for an ocean explorer.
- Precocious Crush: Ant has one on Fontaine's best friend Jess.
Voiced by: Ashleigh Ball
- Agent Scully:
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: She clearly has feelings for Smiling Finn, a pirate, who feels the same way.
- Brother-Sister Team: With Ant
- Encyclopaedic Knowledge: Downplayed compared to Kaiko.
- Foolish Sibling, Responsible Sibling: The Responsible Sibling to Ant's Foolish Sibling
- Only Sane Man:
- Teens Are Short: Fonatine is 15 years old and 149 cm (410) tall. Her mother is 170 cm (57) tall.
- Teen Genius: Paired with Encyclopedic Knowledge
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Has a pink streak in her hair.
The Guardians as a whole.
- Secret Keeper: They know about something evil being contained in Lemuria, and are concerned about what Proteus wants with it.
Voiced by: Lee Tockar
- Eccentric Mentor: Gives the Nektons clues in the form of riddles rather than being straightforward with them.
- Really 700 Years Old: He's an original Lemurian from when the kingdom fell. In fact, he was the brother of the final queen of the kingdom.
- Secret Keeper: He often keeps a lot of things from the Nektons. It can be very vexing for them.
- Technologically Blind Elders: For all his wisdom, Nereus is completely lost when it comes to operating technology.
voiced by: Brian Drummond
The Dark Orca Crew
The Crew as a whole.
- Evil Counterpart: To the Nektons.
- In the Blood:Finn: It's the family business, you know? Some kids become doctors or accountants. I have to become a pirate.
- Submarine Pirates
- The Alleged Submarine: The Dark Orca is in a constant state of disrepair, which is commented on in several different episodes.
- The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything: They're really only shown attacking shipping in their introductory episode. In subsequent appearances they're mostly just looking for sunken treasure, coming into conflict with the Nektons only because they just want these historical artifacts for their monetary value rather than preserving them.
Voiced by: Michael Dobson
- Bad Boss
- Beard of Evil: A big bushy black beard, befitting a pirate captain.
- The Captain: Of the Dark Orca.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: He clearly cares for his children, even once going out of his way to retrieve a memento of Madeline's late mother. He even weaponizes this, using his concern for Madeline's safety to get her onto the Aronnax in order to steal the Chronicle of the Deep.
- Evil Cannot Comprehend Good: He doesn't get why the Nektons don't have missiles in their submarine, for without them the Nektons can't attack and steal.
- Seadog Beard: Sports a long bushy beard.
- Talk Like a Pirate: Even though it's a modern setting, Hammerhead speaks with the archetypal West Country accent.
Voiced by: Samuel Vincent
- Big Brother Instinct: Towards Madeline.
- Foolish Sibling, Responsible Sibling: The Responsible Sibling to Mad Madeline's Foolish Sibling.
- Only Sane Man: Of the Dark Orca Crew.
- Ship Tease: Between him and Fontaine Nekton.
- Token Good Teammate: He secretly gave the Nektons back a massive pearl they tried to steal from a giant oyster.
- White Sheep: Paired with Token Good Teammate. Finn doesn't want to be a pirate. He only goes along with the schemes because they're his family.
Voiced by: Kazumi Evans
- Annoying Younger Sibling: To Finn
- Daddy's Little Villain: Unlike Finn, Madeline wants to be a pirate just like her father.
- Foolish Sibling, Responsible Sibling: The Foolish Sibling to Smiling Finn's Responsible Sibling.
- Tomboy with a Girly Streak: She loves mermaids
Voiced by: Brian Drummond
Voiced by: James Higuchi
- Absent-Minded Professor: Undeniably brilliant, also undeniably scatterbrained.
- Keet: Rivals Ant for sheer enthusiasm.
- Mad Scientist: Develops most of the tech used by the Nektons, in addition to being rather eccentric.
Voiced by: Trevor Devall
- Egomaniac Hunter: Styles himself as a hunter of monsters.
- Fake Brit: Speaks with an RP accent when on-camera, but reverts to an American accent whenever he's alone or taken off-guard.
- Glory Hound: Everything he does is to garner more fame for himself.
- Hitler Cam: Typically films himself from this angle. When the Nektons finally confront him, he's barely taller than Fontaine.
- Know-Nothing Know-It-All: He's clearly only skimmed through Moby-Dick because he doesn't know that Captain Ahab dies at the end and doesn't even know who Herman Melville is.
- Miles Gloriosus: Presents himself as a bold and daring adventurer, but literally everything about this persona is fake.
- Slave to PR: Because he thrives on his popularity, the Nektons usually blackmail him into doing what they want by threatening to reveal his true colors to the public.
Voiced by: Brian Drummond
- Child Hater: He finds them annoying. Especially Ant.
- Information Broker: Will occasionally comes to him for information, as does Captain Hammerhead.
- Insufferable Genius: He's smarter than you, and not afraid to let you know it.
- Playing Both Sides: Has no compunctions about selling a treasure map to multiple parties. He's just doubled his payday.
Voiced by: Andrew Francis
- A Pupil Of Mine Until He Turned Evil: He was a previous apprentice of Nereus, until he decided he wanted to use the power of Doreus' Scepter to Take Over the World.
- Big Bad: Of the second season.
- Evil Plan: Alpheus' plan is to obtain the Scepter of Queen Doreus and use it to awaken all the Monumentals, including The Terror, and effectively use them to threaten all the nations of the world into achieving peace.
- Smug Snake: Even when his plans go awry, and/or he's outwitted, his expression always has a very smug look about it.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair