The initial protagonists of The Dark Age. The Resistance is a band of misfits with one goal in mind: to dethrone the tyrant Matthew Schueren, and restore peace and order to the United States. However, they soon find themselves having to deal with other problems as Bloods takes power.
The Resistance is officially disbanded by Finch after Bloods' ascent to power.
The group as a whole
- Five-Man Band:
- Small Role, Big Impact
Majin TobiasMajin was a charcoal-skinned humanoid creature with a metal right arm and Goku-style black hair. One of his most notable traits was that the whites of his eyes were red, and he had no pupils.Majin was the founder of the Resistance, and he was also the first to be killed.
- The Ace: Implied to be that for their team.
- Casting a Shadow: He apparently possessed shadow powers.
- The Chessmaster: According to Word of God. A rare heroic example.
- Eye Beams
- Heroic Sacrifice: He died buying time for the others to escape.
- Lightning Bruiser
- Playing with Fire: Majin had a built-in flamethrower on his robotic arm.
- Pure Energy: His main powers, and the ones he used most often, set with EnergyBall and KiAttacks.
- Small Role, Big Impact
- We Hardly Knew Ye: Shows up in the prologue. However, his legacy lives on; he is mentioned quite a few times by other characters in the novel.
Sky TurbineOne of the founding members, and the second leader of the Resistance. Sky is charismatic, quick-witted, and humorous. As his name suggests, he's primarily an aeromancer.
- Arc Words: "If we stop now, those who died for us will have died in vain."
- Berserk Button: NEVER diss Majin, Neptuna, or any fallen Resistance soldier.
- Blow You Away: Of course - he has air powers, and one of his signature attacks really does blow you away.
- The Champion: To Neptuna.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: Schueren completely mutilates him beyond the point of recognizability.
- Hidden Depths: He never really gets over Neptuna's death, which burdens him heavily.
- Mauve Shirt: We get to see his cheery personality and his Hidden Depths, and then he gets killed.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: With Dark. He's the Red, Dark's the Blue.
Edwin StormcrusherOne of the founding members - a guy with blue paint smeared over his face.
- The Big Guy: He was said to have the most physical power of the group.
- Big Guy Fatality Syndrome: Averted; he's the last founding member to die.
- Brains and Brawn: With Dark. He's the Brawn, Dark's the Brains.
- Sacrificial Lion: Much, much later in the story, when he is killed by the immortal Cultist Otenar.
DarkOne of the founding members - an orphan who was brought up by a ninja. Thus, he knows ninjutsu and is adept at stealth. He is primarily a pyromancer, and uses blades of fire to take his enemies down.
- Berserk Button: Don't insult his adoptive father.
- Fragile Speedster
- The Lancer: A foil to Sky, no doubt.
- Playing with Fire
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The Blue to Sky's Red.
- The Silent Bob: For the first couple chapters. Until Felix decides to make him open up to the rest of the crew.
- The Strategist: Takes up this role after Sky's death.
- The Stoic
NeptunaSky's girlfriend; one of Schueren's elites who provided information to the Resistance's founding members. She was killed in the same battle that killed Majin. She mainly used water, and was an adept healer.
FinchThe stoic, no-nonsense owner of a bar. His bar serves as a meeting place for Resistance soldiers.
- Cool Sword: Has one called "Widowmaker".
- Extreme Doormat: Very passive. Though he does have a cautious side, and that's pretty much it.
- He had no aims or goals in life until he ran into the Resistance.
Felix DimasalangThe Resistance's chief healer. Felix is a pacifist who has practically no offensive magic. He only uses healing and defensive magic, and despises conflict.
Felix can also body-hop; this allows him to reincarnate after death in a different body, effectively making him immortal.
- Actual Pacifist: If you don't include his body-hopping.
- Establishing Character Moment: When Matthew Schueren invades Finch's bar. Felix jumps in the middle of the fray and begins to give Schueren a lecture on being a better leader. Schueren replies by teleporting his heart outside of his chest.
- Healing Hands
- Grand Theft Me: His body-hopping power is basically this. He is aware of this, and has created a dimension of peace and happiness for those souls to go to while he's busy getting killed in their body.
- They Killed Kenny Again: Due to his reckless pacifist tendencies, he ends up dead a LOT. (at least once per chapter). Luckily, he always returns.
Ardan Sphynx FaranteArdan is a commanding officer in the Resistance. He is a light-manipulator, but is also adept at illusions. He can create illusionary clones that act similar to the "shadow clones" in Naruto.
- But I Digress: Apparently happens a lot.
- Glass Cannon: His light orbs are shockingly powerful, but he's extremely fragile. Which is why he often uses illusion clones.
- He Who Must Not Be Seen: Logan only sees him in the first chapter; he's only mentioned after that...until the final confrontation with Bloods.
- Light 'em Up
- Motor Mouth: If you bring up the wrong topics...
- The Smart Guy: He's a decent tactician.
Logan ReevesLogan is the protagonist of the novel; he's a street urchin whose mother is dead and father is insane. He's not the best at magic initially, but Sky sees potential in the guy and sends Valence to recruit him. Sky is convinced that he's The Chosen One and is going to make everything right, which befuddles Logan to no end.
- Badass Normal: He has no special or unique skills, but is somehow able to drag the Resistance together and dethrone Bloods.
- It Sucks to Be the Chosen One
- Refusal of the Call: Almost does this, until Sky offers him a place to stay.
ValenceA mercenary with no magic. Gruff, apathetic, and a heavy smoker. Logan sees Valence as one of his closest friends; Valence doesn't return the feelings.
- Hired Guns: A literal example. His weapon of choice is an energy pistol.
- Jerkass: One of the biggest ones in this series.
- Jerkass Woobie: Let's see. This guy is exiled by his people and treated like an outcast for practically his entire life. His dad's a wanted criminal and his mom was killed while he was young. He has one very close friend who he can open up to, but she's dead. Frankly, he has an excuse to be a Jerkass.
- Only in It for the Money
- Professional Killer
- The Symbiote: Has a parasite attached to him that can take control at any time.
- The Woobie
Tasar CalaedirA simple-minded Resistance soldier who accompanies Logan on his hostage-freeing mission. He is a short, blonde-haired normal person, and his weapon of choice is a sword almost as tall as he is.
- Cool Sword: His sword has a dragon spirit living inside of it that he can call upon at any time.
- The Fool
- Humans Are Morons: Described as the most normal-looking human in the series; and he's the dumbest.
- I Am Not Left-Handed: Pulls one on Ray with his dragon.
Dr. Mercha RajaA goofy scientist with a good sense of humor and a bad taste in puns. Mercha controls fear; he can make people afraid by looking at them or hitting them with his scythe. He's also an experienced shapeshifter, which he uses to screw with his teammates' heads.
- Beware the Silly Ones: His fear powers are not to be taken lightly.
- Can't Take Criticism: After a while, some people get seriously sick of his puns. This makes him lash out at them, ranting about how horrible the war has been and how an occasional laugh would actually be helpful to the soldiers' fragmented psychological state.
- Hidden Depths: The real reason he's Malaysia's dictator: Everyone else in Malaysia is dead.
- Hurricane of Puns: Happens quite often.
- Funny Foreigner: He's actually Malaysia's evil dictator (through inheritance).
- Plucky Comic Relief
- Pungeon Master
HydrocityA low-ranking soldier who's a pseudo-water elemental.
R-752 (codenamed Geno)A robot created by NeoChaos to serve as Valence's partner. Geno hosts a plethora of hidden weapons.
- Hidden Weapons
- Homing Projectile
- Macross Missile Massacre: His shoulder missiles.
- More Dakka: His waist turret counts as this, as does his gatling-gun arms.
- The Spock: Appropriate, since it's a robot after all.
Johnson HsiungA Resistance soldier who is never seen without his Shiba Inu, Cookie.
- Break the Cutie: When Cookie takes a severe energy blast for his partner, Johnson has a Heroic BSoD and completely shuts down. He's never the same.
- Canine Companion
- Heart Is an Awesome Power: Cookie can charm Johnson's enemies long enough for Johnson to kill them. Johnson claims that Cookie is cute enough to make pretty much anyone freeze in their tracks and begin petting him instinctively.
- Living Emotional Crutch: Cookie is this to him.
Dante BleuA rookie Resistance soldier.
- New Meat: Is implied to have been recruited right after Logan.
- Red Shirt: His only purpose is to add mass to the Resistance's numbers.
- We Hardl Y Knew Ye: Introduced in the attack on Trinus, but is then hit by a piece of rubble in midair and crushed by a building.
Jorne Xerne Mataku (aka "JX")A Resistance soldier who is on Valence's squad when Logan is recruited. JX is a pink-haired, foul-mouthed teenager who can use his "Air Runner" shoes to run on water or air. Which is honestly pretty useless.
- Body Horror: Dark apparently sewed his mouth shut after people got sick of his cussing. He was unaware that Jorne could talk without using his mouth.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: Ray shocks him with enough force that he explodes, sending blood and flesh all over the surrounding area. It's so bad it reminds Logan of Sky, whose body was mutilated beyond recognition.
- Cluster F-Bomb: Happens at least once per chapter that he's in.
- Forgotten Fallen Friend: Averted; he's later mentioned by Twardowski, and is never truly forgotten.
- Red Shirt: In a way.
- Sir Swearsalot
- Useless Superpowers: It would be much more useful if it was flying, but walking on air? Really?